AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-15, 18:13   Link #1
yellowscarves

Looking for Slice of Life, Romance

I’m open to, and would greatly appreciate your suggestions for either genre.
Slice of life titles I’ve seen:
- Cross Game
- Touch
- Lovely Complex
- Honey and Clover I and II
- Nodame Cantabile
- The Natsume Yuujinchou series

Titles with romance that I've seen (lots of overlap with slice of life):
- Cross Game
- Touch
- Nodame Cantabile
- Lovely Complex
- Honey and Clover I and II
- Inu-Yasha
- The Full Metal Panic series

I’m already considering Inu-Yasha – The Final Act (which I’ve been putting off the for the longest time). I’ve given Toradora! a shot but dismissed it after the first episode, partly because the reactions of a certain character were over the top, but mostly because I was occupied with school. I’ll probably give it another shot, but for now, I’m in the mood for a more serious romance title.
yellowscarves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 18:37   Link #2
Divini
Senpai!

Have you seen CLANNAD yet?

If you haven't... just go watch it. Now.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 19:41   Link #3
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Why don't you give Kimikiss Pure Rouge, Mashiro-iro Symphony and White Album a shot?
Old 2012-08-15, 20:15   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'd certainly recommend Ano Natsu (more on the romance side) Ikoku Meiro (no romance, plot-driven slice of life) and AnoHana (drama, with a bit of romance). You might also want to give Kanon a shot - it's the best of the KEY adaptations.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 20:53   Link #5
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I'd say give Toradora another shot, at least til the 3rd ep. I know exactly what you are talking about within that first episode, but by the 3rd ep, "that" type of reaction is dumb down quite a bit, at least in terms of it being a negative aspect of the show. It's really a good show if you give it a fair chance.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 21:58   Link #6
yellowscarves

Divini - No, I haven't. I've heard good things about it long ago. Thanks for reminding me.

Kirito - I love it when people mention titles I've never heard about. I'll be sure to check these out. Kimikiss Pure Rouge in particular looks interesting.

Guardian Enzo - Sorry, I forgot to mention that I've seen AnoHana.
Spoiler for Spoiler:

Ano Natsu and Ikoku Meiro look like fun watches. Kanon is another one of those big titles that somehow slipped my mind - thanks for the reminder.

frubam - That's reassuring. I'll be sure to give it another look then.

Thanks again for all the responses, everyone. I'm sure I have enough to last me a school year now.
Old 2012-08-15, 22:27   Link #7
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Aria the Animation and its sequels for SoL.
Kleo Scanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 22:28   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'd suggest checking out Maison Ikkoku (give it a decent number of episodes first, it takes a while to hit it's stride), Clannad, and Mysterious Girlfriend X.

For slice of life you should also check out Bunny Drop.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 23:44   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Seconds for Usagi Drop and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee. I'll also suggest Chihayafuru, a show about teenagers who become enamored with a Japanese card game called karuta. There's a romantic subplot as well.

Other recent slice-of-life shows worth considering include:

Sakamichi no Apollon - three teenagers learn about life, love and jazz in 1966; romance and "bromance" (not yaoi) in this one

Showa Monogatari - the daily lives of a lower-middle-class family in 1964 Tokyo, the year the Olympics came to Japan;

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - a young girl and her brother try to return home after an earthquake hits Tokyo Bay

Sarai-ya Goyou - a ronin joins a group of petty criminals toward the end of the Edo period

Chi's Sweet Home - a family adopts a lost kitten; Crunchyroll has the inferior second season but not the first

Bakemonogatari - supernaturally-tinged romance with slice-of-life features

Kurenai - perhaps too much plot for a traditional slice-of-life show, but a number of the episodes in the middle of the series fall into that genre

Hanamaru Youchien - a young man becomes a kindergarten teacher; some romance though the woman is rather oblivious

Bartender - patrons visit a Ginza bar and resolve long-standing emotional conflicts

Hataraki Man - a female editor in her late 20's copes with office politics and sexism while working for a Japanese magazine; Remarkably this show has been pulled from YouTube despite being six years old and totally obscure. Does the production committee really believe that carrying a hard-subbed version on YouTube will cut into Japanese sales after all this time?

There's also the "cute-girls-go-high-school-and-do-cute-things" sub-genre of slice of life represented by Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch. GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class also falls into this category.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-08-16 at 00:23.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 00:52   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Actually, I can't believe I forgot Tsuritama, along with Chihayafuru the best shows of 2012 so far. It has a lot of plot in the second half, but the first is heavy on the slice of life vibe.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 05:40   Link #11
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I highly recommend Love, Election and Chocolate : it's still ongoing (will end in September with 12 episodes) but the slice of life and romance elements mesh with the school election theme very well.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-21, 22:31   Link #12
yellowscarves

I didn't plan on starting with it at first, but I changed my mind and decided to give Toradora! a second go shortly after my last post. I finally finished it today, and... it's amazing. Easily my favorite romance anime right now, and I really doubt I'll ever see a better one. Thanks again, frubam.

Also: thank you, everyone else who posted suggestions. I will give them a go in due time.