Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-04-06, 21:29   Link #141
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
A rumor said Shinji got about 45 million USD off that deal.
Ha! That's a lark. 45 million? That's around the size of the entire american anime market, and more than Gonzo is worth as a company itself.

The rumors stupid CR children believe.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 21:29   Link #142
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I took it with a grain of salt as I do everything on the net, but something was given for the deal to be made. Only question is what.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 21:32   Link #143
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
There's always YouTube Japan.

On YouTube..
Blassreiter 5,655 views so far.
The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of URUK 39,293 views so far.
Part of this probably has to do with the update interval for the stats. Druaga didn't change from 201 views until nearly 12 hours after it aired. Here is the progression so far for Druaga:
04911 @ 4/5 00:00 EST
13540 @ 4/5 03:00 EST
18957 @ 4/5 12:30 EST
22443 @ 4/5 14:50 EST
26697 @ 4/5 18:50 EST
30562 @ 4/5 23:50 EST
39293 @ 4/6 22:20 EST

My guess for the reason between the stat difference is that everyone deciding which they would go with during Druaga and were testing all the formats. Thus all the numbers on all sites for ep1 will be high. Ep 2 should be a bit better for actual stat gathering.

Quote:
A rumor said Shinji got about 45 million USD off that deal. It is a smart move by GONZO. They show two shows and got about 20 taken off the site. Other Japanese companies saw this and now shows are getting taken down all over, so I assume Shinji is getting some profit. My guess is CR will be made an official pay site in the future as well.
Lets put it this way. If he were to have licensed them, the shows would have only cost 3.6 million @ 100k/ep. They can probably make 10k/ep in donations at best and those are going to start slumping off after ep 1.

Last edited by bayoab; 2008-04-06 at 21:46.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 21:47   Link #144
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Does anyone know how to find these two shows of Gonzo on Youtube Japan? I am not familiar with this. I found them on CR and Bost TV already but I can't find them on YouTube Japan.
Blassreiter on YouTube Japan is here.

Druaga on YouTube Japan is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Lets put it this way. If he were to have licensed them, the shows would have only cost 3.6 million @ 100k/ep. They can probably make 10k/ep in donations at best and those are going to start slumping off after ep 1.
But then Crunchyroll will do another drive and give away more posters or whatever else GONZO gives them.
Old 2008-04-06, 23:11   Link #145
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Ha! That's a lark. 45 million? That's around the size of the entire american anime market, and more than Gonzo is worth as a company itself.

The rumors stupid CR children believe.
Hrm... is that yen? Anyway, I could care less about CR. In fact, if this is sucessful, Gonzo is the one that will have the power here since they have the content. That is all good since they are the creators and therefore they deserve the money.

BW cost. Give me a break. Build a login base bt system and credit user for the amount they upload. Problem solved.

Anyway, I expect the dl version to be HDTV quality but it is not. So, that at least disappoint me. So, I won't be paying for the 2nd eps and so on.
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 23:26   Link #146
bayoab

This forum post needs to be read for those who expected super HQ downloads.

Short version: Japan comes first, you are lucky to even have downloads.
Old 2008-04-06, 23:45   Link #147
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
A rumor said Shinji got about 45 million USD off that deal. It is a smart move by GONZO. They show two shows and got about 20 taken off the site. Other Japanese companies saw this and now shows are getting taken down all over, so I assume Shinji is getting some profit. My guess is CR will be made an official pay site in the future as well.
Shinji got $45 mil?? Well, he probably deserves it. Now if I still get those e-mails from CR to pay for "hi quality res" views, then I would probably laugh at him. I used to pay for CR previously...the way I figured it, if I liked the previews on Youtube, Veoh, etc, why pay for it? It's best to DL the file on BT and you can watch it anytime.
Old 2008-04-07, 00:55   Link #148
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:

I thought that is how companies have always looked at it...
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 02:44   Link #149
karasuma

Quote:

Hrm... You sure about that? I think I see raw around that has higher resolution than Druaga official download.

Last edited by karasuma; 2008-04-07 at 02:57.
Old 2008-04-07, 03:58   Link #150
SinsI

Quote:
You do understand that 100k/ep is more than it costs to _make_ one episode on average? Last time I checked, licensing fees were between 10k and 30k per episode(although I might be wrong).
Now let's calculate: they get ~5k/ep for practically nothing; they don't hurt the dub market that is usually 3x-10x times bigger than the subs one; they get a good and cheap worldwide advertising for the appropriate products (both anime and game).
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 04:48   Link #151
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
Hrm... You sure about that? I think I see raw around that has higher resolution than Druaga official download.
The "HD"/720p raws are really upscales. The show is airing in SD in Japan. (This is true for many shows like Macross Frontier.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
You do understand that 100k/ep is more than it costs to _make_ one episode on average? Last time I checked, licensing fees were between 10k and 30k per episode(although I might be wrong).
You have the licensing number right, but the production value one wrong. It costs 100k on average to make one episode. (Source)

I purposely made an absurd licensing value just to show how absurd the number was. It is Gonzo though and my understanding is that Gonzo shows typically go for more than a standard show since they sell well on average. They also cost more to make on average from what I understand.

Quote:
Now let's calculate: they get ~5k/ep for practically nothing; they don't hurt the dub market that is usually 3x-10x times bigger than the subs one; they get a good and cheap worldwide advertising for the appropriate products (both anime and game).
Druaga was a good choice because of the game tie in. If only they had an english client too.
Now, the unknown questions here are:
  • Would they have made more by licensing out the internet rights than they are making right now?
  • Has licensing out the internet rights hurt the show's value at all? Can they relicense them to the R1 company that buys the license too? This may hurt dub sales if the R1 company cannot put out a preview copy for some reason.
  • BostTV mentioned they had trouble with the music rights. I wonder if Avex licensing the translation rights to BostTV will create a problem when the R1 company goes to license the music.
Also, if a show on the internet does horribly number wise, it will officially devalue the show now. It isn't like they can go "That's an illegal copy." They have very accurate numbers of foreign interest now.

Last edited by bayoab; 2008-04-07 at 04:55. Reason: Clarification.
Old 2008-04-07, 17:12   Link #152
orion

Quote:
Also, if a show on the internet does horribly number wise, it will officially devalue the show now. It isn't like they can go "That's an illegal copy." They have very accurate numbers of foreign interest now.
And so a "bad" show may never see the light of day here.

GONZO is following Kadokawa's footsteps and has a site on BitTorrent for those 2 titles now.
Old 2008-04-07, 17:59   Link #153
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Umm, what's this? First, it tells me I have either Javascript turned off or an old version of Flash, both of which are blatantly false statements, and then when I scroll down for the torrent it says it's only available for US residents?

Worldwide availability indeed. And I suppose the thing about Javascript/Flash has something to do with either Windows or IE.

*sigh*

PS: I take this opportunity to roll my eyes once more at the ANN community, looking at the forum posts on the piece of news quoted by orion. Oh, ANN, when will you ever learn.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 18:18   Link #154
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
works for me, btw this is easyly the highest quality stream availble for free.
i can watch it in fullscreen mode without it really having too much smuge or artifacts..
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 18:49   Link #155
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Umm, what's this? First, it tells me I have either Javascript turned off or an old version of Flash, both of which are blatantly false statements, and then when I scroll down for the torrent it says it's only available for US residents?

Worldwide availability indeed. And I suppose the thing about Javascript/Flash has something to do with either Windows or IE.

*sigh*

PS: I take this opportunity to roll my eyes once more at the ANN community, looking at the forum posts on the piece of news quoted by orion. Oh, ANN, when will you ever learn.
But YouTube Japan is still available for your Druaga needs and probably pwned Crunchyroll and BOST TV for the number of views. You got to wonder how much money GONZO is getting from the YouTube deal.

I saw a bit of the BitTorrent version of Druaga and it's similar to the BOST TV version in quality which is an improvement over the Crunchyroll stream.

You didn't really believe that loads of people were paying $2 right?

And from the same ANN thread, Cruchyroll's officers got outed.
Old 2008-04-07, 19:30   Link #156
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Well, well, well, ...

I must admit my attitude towards this experiment got more and more negative with every passing day and as far as I am concerned it's time to end it. Straw ... camel ... back. Watch me eating my words uttered above.
Quote:
As long as I watch I'll pay
Not that it really matters considering the less-than-breathtaking quality of these two shows.

I also won't participate in any similar project in the near future.

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2008-04-07 at 19:40.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 19:42   Link #157
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But YouTube Japan is still available for your Druaga needs and probably pwned Crunchyroll and BOST TV for the number of views. You got to wonder how much money GONZO is getting from the YouTube deal.
If you look at the current YouTube numbers, The Tower of Druaga 01 has around 46,000 downloads, while BLASSREITER 01 has around 8,000. As BLASSREITER aired second, that time difference may have given us some idea what video site viewers decided to stick with. I believe the ball is in Crunchyroll's park, simply because it's easier to get to the vids on CR compared to BOST TV (they require registration), then there's that 38,000-view difference between Druaga and BLASSREITER on YouTube that may tell us people tested YouTube's streaming with Druaga and decided for an alternative when BLASSREITER came.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 00:50   Link #158
karasuma

Quote:
The "HD"/720p raws are really upscales. The show is airing in SD in Japan. (This is true for many shows like Macross Frontier.)
I see. Regardless, I would like the paid downloaded version to be at least as best as any captured version from TV.

We should be happy that Gonzo is trying something new. A new business model. So, we shouldn't bash it yet based on the current deficency.
Old 2008-04-08, 11:58   Link #159
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
If you look at the current YouTube numbers, The Tower of Druaga 01 has around 46,000 downloads, while BLASSREITER 01 has around 8,000. As BLASSREITER aired second, that time difference may have given us some idea what video site viewers decided to stick with. I believe the ball is in Crunchyroll's park, simply because it's easier to get to the vids on CR compared to BOST TV (they require registration), then there's that 38,000-view difference between Druaga and BLASSREITER on YouTube that may tell us people tested YouTube's streaming with Druaga and decided for an alternative when BLASSREITER came.
Actually it's easier to view on BitTorrent if the region lock is changed to exclude Japan only. But in a way, that would shoot BitTorrent in the foot since it has ties to Crunchyroll.

So what they need to do is jettison Crunchyroll, widen BitTorrent's reach since it has a store also and keep BOST TV and YouTube Japan.
Old 2008-04-09, 17:25   Link #160
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
Hmm.. thats really all i can say.. I'm not sure what to think about this topic, I would not like to have to pay for anime.. since well I wouldn't pay for it well thats not true.. maybe I would but I wouldnt know which to buy.. ALSO I LOVE FANSUBBING GROUPS THEY ARE MY HEROS! LOL..
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote