AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-23, 00:48   Link #1
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
DC Comics goes manga, nabs a pile of stuff including Tenjou Tenge

http://grotesqueanatomy.blogspot.com...a-imprint.html

Quote:
Upcoming titles include Fujii Mihona’s Gals ((GALS has been adapted as the popular anime series SuperGals!) from Shueisha), TENJO TENGE (by Oh! Great from Shueisha), 9 Banme no Musashi (by Takahashi Miyuki from Akita Shoten), Swan (by Ariyoshi Kyoko from Akita Shoten), MONSTER COLLECTION (by Sei Ito from Kadokawa Shoten), Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne by Tanemura Arina (from Shueisha), and AKUMA DE SORO (by Takanashi Mitsuba from Shueisha).
Old 2004-06-23, 00:59   Link #2
jennwenn

I'm really looking forward to this one:
Quote:
Eroika yori Ai wo Komete Volume 1 was originally serialized in PRINCESS magazine from 1977 to the present. Eroika yori Ai wo Komete follows the adventures of a British aristocrat and international art thief who taunts his nemesis, Major Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach, by leaving notes behind at the scene of his crimes, signed “From Eroica with Love.”

Aoike Yasuko’s first manga, Sayonara Nanette, was published in RIBBON magazine when she was fifteen years old. Afterwards, she garnered attention by publishing several hit stories in rapid succession, including Shojo Blend, When Roses Cry, Oh Carol, “I love you, Tetsu-sensei,” and “Hey, Young Guy.” In 1976 her sci-fi comedy Sons of Eve in PRINCESS magazine, represented a switch from pure shojo stories to a new kind of storytelling.

Debuting in 1977, Eroika yori Ai wo Komete became a huge best seller, and its sequel series is still being serialized today. The series is built on a great deal of research about European art history, and has helped to popularize many European painters in Japan as well as Japanese tours of European art museums.

Aoike Yasuko has continued a long and productive career in the pages of PRINCESS, a highly popular girl’s manga anthology magazine. But her work is so popular that she is at present concurrently publishing stories in several magazines. She is the creator of Miriam Blue's Lake, Sons of Eve, Seven Seas, Seven Skies, The Castle, Ivy Navy, Trafalgar, Z, Der Freischutz, Alcasar, The Tale of a Priest and a Doctor, The Day of Saladin, Richard, the Lion-Hearted, Brother Falco, The Temptation of Scarlet, The Carthaginian Fantasy, The Melancholy of Her Majesty, The Knight of Drachen, and Plus Ultra.
I've heard a lot about Eroika, glad I can read it soon.
Old 2004-06-23, 02:31   Link #3
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

impressive, looks like their editor has some decent credentials, so the borkage should be at a minimum...
and it's DC, a company that's been producing comics since, i believe, before they were "super"
i just hope they don't flip them, they mention the size specifications (which match most "standard" manga) and mention "manga format"...i hope that means right-to-left
anyway, they got tenjou tenge, so i'm going to be eagerly (i.e. INSANELY) anticipating their releases...and i hope their releases are consistant (i.e. no Dark Horse style slackage)
i also hope they don't edit it...Tenjou tenge is NOT kid friendly (the anime is TAME)
Old 2004-06-23, 11:36   Link #4
mayukhers112
Mahou Shonen

Jeanne is Licensed!! Whee!! I'm looking forward to Tenjou Tenge, I guess....
Old 2004-06-23, 18:19   Link #5
Prier
Demon Hunter

Finally, someone licenses SOMETHING from Arina Tanemura!
I'm looking forward to KKJ's release.
Old 2004-06-24, 05:28   Link #6
Silent Otaku

Tenge Tenjo Manga Licensed!!!

Just in case anyone wants to know
Tenge tenjo manga is making its way to USA Via guess who???

DC Comics

http://www.dccomics.com/news/article...Code=cmxlaunch

Edit: I just saw the other post, Sorry. Mods, Delete is it is necessary. Sorry

Last edited by xris; 2004-06-24 at 05:46. Reason: Ummm, thank you. Merged with existing thread
Old 2004-06-24, 11:41   Link #7
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Do licensing manga == Licensing anime?

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne manga licensed.

So that could likely mean that KKJ anime will be also licensed in a near future, if the manga has success.
Old 2004-06-24, 18:10   Link #8
A Lamer
あほぉ&

I anticipate Tenjou Tenge, so long as they dont bold every other word like in typical american comics. Yes.
Old 2004-06-24, 23:56   Link #9
BOZZY

As much as I want to get my hopes about the third manga series in the past few years that I am super happy to see brought over here I have my doubts (since the debacle with Tokyopop and Initial D, and the almost editing of Negima by Del Ray) that it won't be tinkered with...

It's impressive that they have picked up an editor that has experience, having worked with Coamix and Raijin Comics, and hopefully this means a fluid translation, but I have a feeling that some more explicit sexual scenes might be removed/edited/toned down a la Dark Horse's older manga series (like that Exaion series or something)...
Old 2004-06-25, 09:38   Link #10
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Almost all of Dark Horse's earlier series, and some of their current series were done by Studio Proteus.

SP has significant control in what they do with the manga, mostly guided by former-prez (if thats what his title was) Toren Smith who left the manga industry cause he felt that since no one was doing things his way, they were doing it all wrong and that the manga market will collapse. This has yet to be proven true, but it is true that Studio Proteus's relevance has fallen and Dark Horse is having Digital Manga handle their release of Trigun, Hellsing, and Berserk (unflipped and unedited.) Most notably, Studio Proteus is the only one that still flips manga to a left to right reading format and have releases that come out terribly slowly at $15-$20 per volume. They've also made the editing decisions behind several series (Shadow Star/Narutaru) which makes me hesitant to ever buy anything from them. Not even VIZ does this anymore, hell they've gone back and un-flipped stuff! Tokyopop too!

I don't expect DC Comics to edit anything. They'll probably give Tenjou Tenge a well deserved 17+ or 18+ sticker, have it placed high on the shelves, and that'll be that. But if you still worry that it'll be edited, flood DC Comics' mailbox with letters requesting they not do so and as we've seen with Del-Rey, publishers DO listen
Old 2004-06-25, 09:56   Link #11
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Almost all of Dark Horse's earlier series, and some of their current series were done by Studio Proteus.

SP has significant control in what they do with the manga, mostly guided by former-prez (if thats what his title was) Toren Smith who left the manga industry cause he felt that since no one was doing things his way, they were doing it all wrong and that the manga market will collapse. This has yet to be proven true, but it is true that Studio Proteus's relevance has fallen and Dark Horse is having Digital Manga handle their release of Trigun, Hellsing, and Berserk (unflipped and unedited.) Most notably, Studio Proteus is the only one that still flips manga to a left to right reading format and have releases that come out terribly slowly at $15-$20 per volume. They've also made the editing decisions behind several series (Shadow Star/Narutaru) which makes me hesitant to ever buy anything from them. Not even VIZ does this anymore, hell they've gone back and un-flipped stuff! Tokyopop too!
Not exactly true, Viz's Ranma releases are still flipped (even though they upped the release rate)
Old 2004-06-28, 04:07   Link #12
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
impressive, looks like their editor has some decent credentials, so the borkage should be at a minimum...
and it's DC, a company that's been producing comics since, i believe, before they were "super"
i just hope they don't flip them, they mention the size specifications (which match most "standard" manga) and mention "manga format"...i hope that means right-to-left
anyway, they got tenjou tenge, so i'm going to be eagerly (i.e. INSANELY) anticipating their releases...and i hope their releases are consistant (i.e. no Dark Horse style slackage)
i also hope they don't edit it...Tenjou tenge is NOT kid friendly (the anime is TAME)
I've seen worst stuff in comics from 8 years ago then anything they show in Tenjo Tenge. DC also puts "suggested for mature readers" on stuff anyways. Has anyone read the "terminator vs ....' comics, they have bulldozers piling dead rotting bodies into a hole with people also throwing them into the pit. I doubt DC will edit Tenjo Tenge for anything.
Old 2004-06-28, 09:18   Link #13
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
I've seen worst stuff in comics from 8 years ago then anything they show in Tenjo Tenge. DC also puts "suggested for mature readers" on stuff anyways. Has anyone read the "terminator vs ....' comics, they have bulldozers piling dead rotting bodies into a hole with people also throwing them into the pit. I doubt DC will edit Tenjo Tenge for anything.
But in America, sex seems to be way more taboo than violence.
Old 2004-06-28, 12:05   Link #14
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
But in America, sex seems to be way more taboo than violence.
Nah dude, sex is definetly not taboo here right now. Comics are full of girls being raped and being naked and getting f*cked. Seriously, comics are pretty tasteless. TenTen has NOTHING that a comic hasn't already shown years ago while I was in 5th grade.
Old 2004-06-28, 13:49   Link #15
maxthelostboy

in the dc commic OUTSIDERS arensal has sex with the huntress from birds of prey and other gals , though you really don't see anything Swampthing v.3 is released by a sub group of dc and they swear and talk about sex alot.
Old 2004-11-05, 07:40   Link #16
paTKany
Aasu Ⅷ

Send a message via MSN to paTKany
Swan vol.1 released a couple of days ago...

Does anybody have some sample pics?

I'm very interested about ballet related stuffz.
Old 2004-11-05, 08:19   Link #17
Ashi-chan
Resident Asian Nerd Girl

Send a message via AIM to Ashi-chan Send a message via MSN to Ashi-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Ashi-chan
My friend is a big fan of Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, the artwork looks pretty, and the title seems interesting. Might pick this one up, perhaps.
Old 2004-11-05, 09:49   Link #18
NinjaServ

Personally I think it is sad that these great AMERICIAN comic book companies are starting to "license" the japanese comics just so they can "get on the bandwagon". Honestly if they hired some writers that wrote stuff OTHER than "Super Hero" comics and have some new and FRESH stuff, I think it could compete better with "Manga" (Japanese comic books). Nothing agains't the comics they licensed, but I think that should be left to licensing companies and they should get back to producing AMERICAN comics. I just don't want to see the american stuff die out because something else is "more popular because it's japanese"...
Old 2004-11-05, 11:32   Link #19
hunterx
ore wa kanpeki da

will they be coloring them like they do with american comics? I know the Akira manga was colored
Old 2004-11-05, 11:57   Link #20
NinjaServ

they arn't going to modify them, i'm pretty sure Akira was colored in japan, and that is why it was in color here....(if it was released here...)
Closed Thread