AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-08-08, 15:49   Link #61
kagetsu
3D Animator
*Artist

Well, what settings you running it on? Thats gonna be the final factor. My desktop is double the power and speed of yours and I only get 20fps in firefight on ultra with everything up and 2x anti-aliasing. Unless you have a 256 mb vid card and 2 gigs of ram, you shouldn't even be touching ultra settings and keep the antialiasing off cause it eats your framerate. On high settings with AA off i get a smooth 30 fps in gunfights and 60 walking around.
kagetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 16:04   Link #62
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagetsu
Well, what settings you running it on? Thats gonna be the final factor. My desktop is double the power and speed of yours and I only get 20fps in firefight on ultra with everything up and 2x anti-aliasing. Unless you have a 256 mb vid card and 2 gigs of ram, you shouldn't even be touching ultra settings and keep the antialiasing off cause it eats your framerate. On high settings with AA off i get a smooth 30 fps in gunfights and 60 walking around.
lol I'm running the game in low quality, at 640x480 with AA off and vertical synch off, and I tweaked it as suggested in this thread. Anyway, 10 to 20 fps is all that I'm getting

Before getting to the final boss, I was playing in mediun quality with AA on at 4x and VS on, with 800x600. The game was runing flawlessly.
Old 2004-08-08, 16:46   Link #63
Cichlisuite

Send a message via ICQ to Cichlisuite Send a message via AIM to Cichlisuite
From what i read its best to not use AA at all since Doom 3 doesnt really need it.
As far as cpus go the best to run D3 is: Athlon 64 fx>Athlon 64>Pentium 4>Athlon XP.
Anyway my system consits of the following:
Athlon 64 3000
1 gig pc3200 ram
Radeon 9800 pro (4.9 beta "doom 3" catalyst drivers)

I run the game fine (even though laggy at spots) at 1024x786 on high quality.
Cichlisuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 17:09   Link #64
SlugZilla
woofles

I beat the game yesterday and I must say I rather enjoyed it.

Sugetsu: the game doesn't end in hell actually.
Spoiler:
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 18:24   Link #65
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugZilla
I beat the game yesterday and I must say I rather enjoyed it.

Sugetsu: the game doesn't end in hell actually.
Spoiler:
Did your game run well when facing the big demon? I get 10 to 20 fps when I face him but when I turn my back on him the game runs smothly... I guess that demon has too many textures and stuff for my poor Athlon to handle. But still I think it is strange, is there anyone here with a lower or equal system aspects that is able to play the big guardian normaly?

My video card and my memory ram are quite good and almost one of the best out there in the market, so there must be something wrong with me system.

is there anyone else here with the same problem?
Old 2004-08-08, 18:59   Link #66
SlugZilla
woofles

Mine ran fine, but it was a lot slower when I was on that boss. If you didn't tweak, then do it cause it helps alot. Also try it on low settings.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 20:04   Link #67
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
Did your game run well when facing the big demon? I get 10 to 20 fps when I face him but when I turn my back on him the game runs smothly... I guess that demon has too many textures and stuff for my poor Athlon to handle. But still I think it is strange, is there anyone here with a lower or equal system aspects that is able to play the big guardian normaly?

My video card and my memory ram are quite good and almost one of the best out there in the market, so there must be something wrong with me system.

is there anyone else here with the same problem?
Yeah! I just beat the game! Whooo, sequel anyone? I was a little disappointed. The end battle was a lot easier than I expected...a bit too easy. Well, the nightmare mode's there for a reason...heh heh heh

Anyways, on that same battle against the Guardian, it was pretty smooth on my comp (check my profile for specs), yes the framerate dropped (to around 30FPS), but not enough to affect gameplay. Yeah like Slugzilla said, tweak the game. If you did, then I'm not sure what could be the problem. Maybe that Athlon (1800+ was it?) really is too old, or not enough virtual memory (enough harddrive space). Time to upgrade. Doom 3 probably made a LOT of people upgrade, or just plain buy a new computer. Just FYI: I've been playing on 800x600 on low settings for the whole game.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 21:28   Link #68
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

From what I read in your system aspects, my pc is almost better in everything except for the proccesor. Your is an Athlon XP at 2800+ my is 1800+ lol but my video card is much better than yours, which is a Gforce fx 5900XT and my ram is 512 at 400 mhz. Well, I guess I have to buy a new processor. My board can take the Athlon XP 3200+ but I don't know how much that processor costs... I guess over $200
Old 2004-08-08, 21:34   Link #69
FrostLich

This game doesnt live up to the hype but it is a respectable game. It isnt worth the money but if you can get it for cheap (*cough*free*cough*), then i suggest u give it a spin.

The graphics are great but the gameplay is only average. Theres nothing really special, just the standard collect key, kill monsters in the way of the door, kill to get next key and etc. The audio files are a cool feature but their often too long. I havent gotton really far, i forgot what lvl i am but im slightly after the part where you get your plasma gun.

The story is lame and boring. Ever since Half life, all fps are trying to cram in a storyline which is good but sometimes u just dont need one. Just pass me a gun, give me a direction and let me blast at everything. I dont care who caused it or what happened, just let me test out my new gun on some monsters.

The darkness has its positives and negatives. The good thing is that it adds more fear and forces you to think before rushing into a room and blasting into the night. The bad thing however is that it makes ever single room identical and makes the levels repetitive.

There are some parts that are pretty freaky (i hate the whispers and the baby crying the most) but once you've played for 2 hours, you mostly just get use to it. Most monsters come out from dark corners and pop out when u pick up new equipment/ammo which makes encounters predictable but they still suprise u with their locations.

I dont get why ppl say that the monsters materalize out of thin air since each monster actually does walk behind u and come out of ways that you cant see. For example: You might not have noticed, but sometimes the wall crumbles and the monster walks out and comes behind u while u havent noticed. SPiders come out of these small retangular holes. And those 2 headed demon type of thing teleports using that fire ring thing.

Edit: If your a FPS vetern, you might want to consider starting your first game as hard since normal is VERY easy. Monsters have no AI and those mutated marines that do have some sort of AI does no dmg with their bullets. Your character can abosorb bullets like they were nothing. Medic packs and those things that heal u 10 hp each with around 10 charges are abundant and my hp rarly goes under 50. All except 1 of my deaths has come from falling since u will rarly be killed by the pathetic monsters if your a FPS vetern.

2nd Edit: Since this has somehow been misinterriputed, the above statements are in my opinion. I guess i could of been more specific by saying that from start.

Last edited by FrostLich; 2004-08-09 at 00:25.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-08, 22:37   Link #70
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostLich
The graphics are great but the gameplay is only average. Theres nothing really special, just the standard collect key, kill monsters in the way of the door, kill to get next key and etc. The audio files are a cool feature but their often too long. I havent gotton really far, i forgot what lvl i am but im slightly after the part where you get your plasma gun.
That's you opinion. The levels aren't boring, the atmosphere is very good, and the action as well. If you don't like this game then I'm sure you don't like Medal of honor, Castle of Wolsteain (or whatever) Quake games, Unreal Tournament and etc because they follow the same style.

Quote:
The story is lame and boring. Ever since Half life, all fps are trying to cram in a storyline which is good but sometimes u just dont need one. Just pass me a gun, give me a direction and let me blast at everything. I dont care who caused it or what happened, just let me test out my new gun on some monsters.
Lame and boring! don't say that, that's one the best parts of the game, did you take a look at the amusing audio logs, the videos, and the email? What about the voices and whisperings? is that boring for you?

Quote:
The darkness has its positives and negatives. The good thing is that it adds more fear and forces you to think before rushing into a room and blasting into the night. The bad thing however is that it makes ever single room identical and makes the levels repetitive.

There are some parts that are pretty freaky (i hate the whispers and the baby crying the most) but once you've played for 2 hours, you mostly just get use to it. Most monsters come out from dark corners and pop out when u pick up new equipment/ammo which makes encounters predictable but they still suprise u with their locations.

I dont get why ppl say that the monsters materalize out of thin air since each monster actually does walk behind u and come out of ways that you cant see. For example: You might not have noticed, but sometimes the wall crumbles and the monster walks out and comes behind u while u havent noticed. SPiders come out of these small retangular holes. And those 2 headed demon type of thing teleports using that fire ring thing.
The fear factor is the best part of the game, it is brilliant in my opinion. Every room and every sector has its own uniqueness and little not-so-happy-suprices Perhaps you are the person who doesn't get scared easily and because of that you are not able to feel the terror that the author wants to portray in this game.

Well, in any case that's just my opinion.
Old 2004-08-08, 22:40   Link #71
hak
bakatade

Send a message via AIM to hak
Quote:
This game doesnt live up to the hype but it is a respectable game. It isnt worth the money but if you can get it for cheap (*cough*free*cough*), then i suggest u give it a spin.

sigh.. ok what were you expecting? ID specifically said the purpose of the game was to recreate the original doom and well they did the exact thing. and you said "Ever since half life"? um no, doom 1 came WAY before half-life and this story is the same exact story so it is even safe to say Half-Life stole this whole concept of the freak accident. It's the same exact story.

ID has lived up to everything they have said they would accomplish with this, recreate doom 1 experience, make a revolutionary engine, make it scary as shit, and make it very moddable (thats why they didn't really do much for the multiplayer which was originally not supposed to be in it).

Their goals were never to have a game with gameplay emphasized but rather a fragfest (just look at their previous games for an example) so you shouldn't have expected anything else.

Half life 2 on the other hand is aiming towards this gameplay and not as much as graphics. The main differnece is that HL2 will probably provide more immediate satisfaction, while you will have to wait a few more months until the Doom 3 engine is taken advantage of and used in mods, new games. Doom 3 has more potential since the engine is so revolutionary.

But anyway when you bought , or downloaded this game you should have know what you were going to play, not expect something that wasn't supposed to be. Overall Doom 3 has a very good single player which can get repetitive. It is frightening if you do what the manual says "close the door, turn off the lights and turn up your sounds" or whatever. I just can't wait for quake 4 to be relased (which is being currently worked on by Raven using the Doom 3 engine).

and yes it will be worth the money to play online once the mods start pouring in as we have seen with q3
hak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 05:40   Link #72
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlisuite
From what i read its best to not use AA at all since Doom 3 doesnt really need it.
Thats really not true in a way. You don't need to use it cause no video card really takes advantage of it while keeping speeds down. And your so focused on other things then AA that you don't really notice it after a while cause you stopped looking for it or got conditioned to it. But trust me. The game looks alot better with the AA on. Or shall I say smoother. My friend said he didn't notice a difference from 4x to off, but after I pointed out about a dozen things he agreed it looks way better with AA on. But again, it took someone pointing it out to notice it. And you will get use to it off. So is it needed for the experinc, no. When better video cards come out in the future that are better. I wouldn't think twice about keeping it off anymore. I have comparison pics but files are to big for crappy 5U.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-09, 13:12   Link #73
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Except the technical features, were you scared when you played it ?
Did you feel any fear rolling down your spine before opening a door ?
Have you made sure your question hasn't been answered many times before?

Did you read any of the previous posts?
Old 2004-08-09, 17:45   Link #74
FrostLich

My scary moment: I was in the vents moving along when i see a split in the vents. As i near the split, suddenly a skeleton is hurled and by reflex, i pull out a gun and start blasting at this mysterious object (i didnt know it was a dead skeleton). Then get embarrassed after this character laughs at me .
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 09:20   Link #75
Amyla

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FPSVisuals.htm

Using the 128MB+ config file, I doubled my framerate on a far from top notch system, I've finished the game, running 20FPS on the final boss fight.
System Specs:
Pentium 4 2.4GHz
512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
RADEON 9600XT 128MB

To adjust your brightness:
There is a slider in the System tab in the Main Menu.
Or:
While in game, or on the title screen, press (CTRL)+(ALT)+(~) to access the console, and type the following commands.
r_gamma Increases gamma, default value is 1 and max value is 2, I run this at 1.5
r_brightness same thing as the slider, I run this at 2.

Just offering some help to those with struggling framerates and brightness problems, also sorry for bumping an almost second-page topic.
Amyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 17:43   Link #76
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

The folks over at Afrotech were kind enough to put up a nice review for Doom 3. Warning: Spoilers.
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 18:46   Link #77
Ending

Now, after a while, it seems that the opinions about it go like this:

"Average game with good graphics."

Where 50% of people add:

"...But since it is DOOM, I give it some extra."

Then they compare it to the upcoming Half-Life 2, and HL2 wins hands down.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-26, 19:09   Link #78
_Sin_
Member of the Year 2004!

Location: "And if thou doest not well, _Sin_ lieth at the door."- Genesis 4:7
Did you actually read the review? It was some sorta review parody (and funny it was) and not a real review so your statement makes no sense whatsoever ^_^
_Sin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 06:35   Link #79
Ending

No, I was replying to the original topic in a off-topic way.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 17:04   Link #80
JaXter
-=Anime Lover=-

Doom 3

Well this is a game where your ass hair is going to stand straight up from... not to mention your nek haires. :S
Anyway its fun to play it 1 time, but not a second time, the biggest problem with this game is the SICK HUGE reqs you need ...... FFS you get a verry high quality game in return with the right stuff. although i`m waiting for my new stuff.
Anyway! i realy loved this game, it contains the righ amount of scare factors, gores, and thrills. ^_^
JaXter is offline   Reply With Quote