AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-04-21, 08:24   Link #81
Haak
Me, An Intellectual
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
I quite enjoyed this recent episode. We quickly get to see what drives Reinhart and we get some context for the war (though it's mostly info-dumped). It's rather unfortunate timing that this episode airs close enough to a another very similar background story that is way more complex (Gundam The Origin) but on it's own its very good.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-21, 08:59   Link #82
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
No. That sounds to me as something faar too long and faar too pulpy for me to get into at this point.
Good news for you. They remade SBY for the millennium audience called Space Battleship Yamato 2199. It is newbie-friendly and has reasonable length (26 episodes). The sequel series (Yamato 2022) is still airing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's rather unfortunate timing that this episode airs close enough to a another very similar background story that is way more complex (Gundam The Origin) but on it's own its very good.
Speaking of Gundam, is it just me, or are they trying to make Reinhard as smooth as Char/Casval?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-21, 13:40   Link #83
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The land of tempura
Little sidenote: this has been bothering me for a while now but does anyone else feel like the OP sounds suspiciously close to the song Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship?
__________________
Dextro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-21, 13:47   Link #84
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Little sidenote: this has been bothering me for a while now but does anyone else feel like the OP sounds suspiciously close to the song Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship?
Indeed. The OP borrowed some notes from that oldies song. Whenever the OP playes, I always want to break into that famous Mannequin soundtrack. It reminds me of Evangelion's Decisive Battle score borrowing some notes from From Russia with Love.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-21, 14:11   Link #85
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The land of tempura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Indeed. The OP borrowed some notes from that oldies song. Whenever the OP playes, I always want to break into that famous Mannequin soundtrack. It reminds me of Evangelion's Decisive Battle score borrowing some notes from From Russia with Love.
Really? Wasn't aware of that Eva connection. But it's good to know I'm not going crazy.
__________________
Dextro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 12:08   Link #86
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 33
An entire episode dedicated to Yang's past, most of which wasn't covered in the main OVA series. So disturbed by Cazerne's design, he couldn't look more different than in the OVAs. So young, too!

Next episode will be another FPA ep.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 12:36   Link #87
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
As a newbie to the series, I personally quite enjoy this show. It has such great world building and the story is very mature. I've heard of the OVAs for a very long time but can't find time to watch it all, so after the remake I'll get the motivation to watch the OVAs.

So far I really like Yang. While Reinhard's story is intense and interesting to follow, Yang is just a laid-back guy who wanted to be a historian but got robed into military strategy after being noticed by the higher-ups. As a person he's quite a likable man whom I would want to befriend.
__________________
The fact that you cry
The fact that you lose your temper
The fact that you get angry
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-24, 23:05   Link #88
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
So far I really like Yang. While Reinhard's story is intense and interesting to follow, Yang is just a laid-back guy who wanted to be a historian but got robed into military strategy after being noticed by the higher-ups. As a person he's quite a likable man whom I would want to befriend.
Indeed, I've always thought of Yang as a great guy to have beer with and listen to stories from.
__________________
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-25, 02:31   Link #89
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
His causal bros over hoes is big plus too. Friends like that are trully rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Little sidenote: this has been bothering me for a while now but does anyone else feel like the OP sounds suspiciously close to the song Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship?
I knew I know that song from somewhere, but I didn't figured it was this one

Appropriate song to use indeed.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-25, 13:18   Link #90
Haak
Me, An Intellectual
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
Episode 4

Wow, and here I thought this show was playing up the Great Man theory so imagine my pleasant surprise when Yang makes it painfully clear about what he thinks of strongman dictators, the people who support them and even the people who do nothing. He's even harsher than I am.

So Yang's savviness in strategy comes from his intense interest in history. If only he was savvy in another area because then he would've seen that gigantic deathflag flying over his friend. XP
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-25, 14:06   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Episode 4

Wow, and here I thought this show was playing up the Great Man theory so imagine my pleasant surprise when Yang makes it painfully clear about what he thinks of strongman dictators, the people who support them and even the people who do nothing. He's even harsher than I am.

So Yang's savviness in strategy comes from his intense interest in history. If only he was savvy in another area because then he would've seen that gigantic deathflag flying over his friend. XP
Well, he's into the woman. So, just as planned?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-25, 20:49   Link #92
TheForsaken
Winter is coming
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
So Yang's savviness in strategy comes from his intense interest in history. If only he was savvy in another area because then he would've seen that gigantic deathflag flying over his friend. XP
Death flag or not, he already died in episode 1/2
__________________
TheForsaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-26, 01:50   Link #93
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Episode 4

Wow, and here I thought this show was playing up the Great Man theory so imagine my pleasant surprise when Yang makes it painfully clear about what he thinks of strongman dictators, the people who support them and even the people who do nothing. He's even harsher than I am.
I didn't get that feel from Episode 3, it was made painfully clear that Rudolf isn't very well regarded by the show - and hints suggest that even the Empire itself chilled the fuck out since his times, despite being more authoritarian than the FPA. Basically, what he founded as totalitarian autocracy probably became something more like a traditionalist oligarchy. Reinhardt is ambitious and apparently gunning for the Emperor's throne, but that fits his character perfectly. It's well possible that it would be an improvement for the Empire - he seems capable, clever, and not a monster like Rudolf - but of course it remains to be seen if that could possibly be worth the civil strife, OR if he could ensure succession or better, transition to a more democratic form of government. He's still probably doing it mostly for himself.

The one thing I am bothered a bit by in this show is how much of the genius of these two is "tell, don't show". Because every time we are shown it's something extremely simplistic like the two examples seen in this episode.

Also it's sort of weird that you'd get named a "hero" for orchestrating an escape which uses one of yours as a decoy, even a cowardly one .
__________________
----
What if Goku was super smart and had a thing for philosophy? Find out in The Optimised Wish Project!
----

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-26, 08:35   Link #94
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I didn't get that feel from Episode 3, it was made painfully clear that Rudolf isn't very well regarded by the show - and hints suggest that even the Empire itself chilled the fuck out since his times, despite being more authoritarian than the FPA. Basically, what he founded as totalitarian autocracy probably became something more like a traditionalist oligarchy. Reinhardt is ambitious and apparently gunning for the Emperor's throne, but that fits his character perfectly. It's well possible that it would be an improvement for the Empire - he seems capable, clever, and not a monster like Rudolf - but of course it remains to be seen if that could possibly be worth the civil strife, OR if he could ensure succession or better, transition to a more democratic form of government. He's still probably doing it mostly for himself.

The one thing I am bothered a bit by in this show is how much of the genius of these two is "tell, don't show". Because every time we are shown it's something extremely simplistic like the two examples seen in this episode.

Also it's sort of weird that you'd get named a "hero" for orchestrating an escape which uses one of yours as a decoy, even a cowardly one .
The Gaiden goes into great detail on what happened. Yang knew that the admiral was going to abandon millions of civilians to the Empire, along with the military left behind. He used all the civilian ships and went the opposite direction of the Alliance Fleet. Yang, as many know, does not condone soldiers harming civilians, much less abandoning them. He was also assigned to evacuate them(not covered in the episode very well). He did his duty.
One quick side note: the admiral was actually going to use the civilians as a decoy himself. His mind was only on escape. Not covered in the episode - see the Gaidens.
__________________
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-01, 10:15   Link #95
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Episode 5

Wow that BS speech just hit too close to home. I salute Yang for his bravery in not standing up and clapping, though because of that he made himself a lot of enemies. I hope nothing happens to Jessica though it seems unlikely.

I lost it at the wack sprinkler, twice
__________________
The fact that you cry
The fact that you lose your temper
The fact that you get angry
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-01, 10:44   Link #96
RDNexus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal
Age: 32
Now I can really say I'm quite enjoying this new version of the Novels' adaptation.
The modern animation and update of everything, from technology to wardrobe and scenery, seems way more fitting to the kind of futuristic story that it is.

Also, it seems to me they're actually planning to have this new version go for as long as the original series...
__________________
For those potentially interested, I've translated Chapter 01 of my original LN-style story, LEGACY SCIONS, from portuguese to english.

You can download it here. Feedback is welcome. I hope you like it.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-01, 15:25   Link #97
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Personally I'm the opposite, the show is completely losing me. It's not that it's bad - aside of whatever it is that they're doing with Reinhard (I hope to god they'll pull themselves together), and the performances by Miyano and Suwabe, the show is perfectly serviceable. If it resonates well with newcomers to the story that's great (although I'm kind of worried how they'll end up seeing Reinhard if this keeps up).

But for someone like me who has been with this story for ages and is familiar with most of its incarnations so far (I never played the games), it's almost worse than if it was bad, it's kind of... well, boring, which is a terrible thing for LoGH to be. It's not bringing anything new or exciting to the table, aside of the updated visuals, and those have always been pretty low on my personal list of priorities, but also they're not very interesting to look at. The Empire is basically just the OVA with a new coat of paint and bland chara designs. The FPA fares a bit better (and the character designs work much better for the FPA characters than for the Empire cast, for some reason) but it's nothing particularly fresh or interesting. Episode 4 had some nice bits with Yang's backstory but that was pretty much it, so far. I'll keep watching because eh, it's LoGH, but it's such a frustrating experience...

I'd be probably more forgiving if it weren't for the pacing, but at this point I'd like to point out that with the speed they seem to be going, the TV show and the upcoming movies are going to cover about a quarter of the story - and they're going to cut off just when it gets really good. (And that's probably going to be it because if this sells well enough to warrant creating any more I'm going to eat my hat.) This show seems to be trying to be something like the spiritual successor to the OVA in this aspect as well, but... The OVA could afford to be slow as molasses, because a) those were different times, and b) it was an OVA, c) specifically designed for existing fans of the novels. They were deliberately doing a very detailed, expanded adaptation, stretching out a story of some 2000 pages to 2200 minutes. But this show is just being slow for no good reason at all. I mentioned liking episode 4 - but even so, it was unnecessary to go into such detail over something that could have been conveyed much more effectively. (There's this misconception out there that a slow pace is the only way to cover LoGH, but if someone reads the novels they'll see that in fact they're not slow-moving or even all that detail-packed. They're pretty tightly written.)

Also, about the English translation, I'm wondering, where the hell are they getting the name localizations from? "Cazerne"'s name is Caselnes, has always been, hell, that's how it's written on the official website! Wtf? (If they'll call Poplin "Poplan" I'm going to flip a table.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-01, 17:47   Link #98
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 33
With a title like that, I wasn't expecting the episode's pace to be this slow. The birth of Yang's fleet was announced at the very end of the ep. We all thought this adaptation would rush through the material before it started, but the opposite is happening. Maybe they've already planned to adapt the whole thing and they just haven't announced there'll be more after the movies? Would be extremely surprising, unless they're sure the series is going to sell... I'm not.

Anyway, aside from Reinhard's characterization, I have nothing to complain about so far. The FPA episodes have been great, and I'm loving the updated technology. I'm slowly getting used to the character design as well.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 03:30   Link #99
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We all thought this adaptation would rush through the material before it started, but the opposite is happening. Maybe they've already planned to adapt the whole thing and they just haven't announced there'll be more after the movies? Would be extremely surprising, unless they're sure the series is going to sell... I'm not.
Yeah, it's the different extreme than I'd feared prior the show airing. My pet conspiracy theory is that if they don't speed things significantly up in the remaining episodes that means they're not actually planning to continue beyond the first arc. (Which would be a serious bummer, because while the first arc of the story is good, LoGH gets really good, and reaches the heights which make it deserve all the critical acclaim, in what follows.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-02, 11:11   Link #100
pervypig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Let's face it LoGH deserves a proper Remake, and squeezing 100+ep into 24 just don't cut it.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.