AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-05-23, 19:21   Link #221
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Exactly because Oberstein is so shamelessly open about who he is and what he wants and why. Reinhard knows who Obe is, knows what he's trying to avoid and achieve. At this point Obe has everything to lose and Reinhard lots and lots to gain from saving him.

It's not like Reinhard trusts Obe as such, he knows that as long as he's doing what Obe expects him to do he will have Obe's loyalty and support. Obe pretty much says "Look, you need a man to do your dirty business. Kircheis is unsuited for it. If you help me out I'll be that man because I like what you're doing and where you're taking all this." And Reinhard, who at this point has been really wanting someone like this, says "sure, fine, let's see how this works out."

(At one point later in the story Oberstein calls Reuenthal a leashed beast, but I think that analogy fits him better...)
This is all true, but I would add that another reason Reinhard accepted Oberstein into his ranks was that he passed his little test. Reinhard pretended to arrest him for treason to see how he would react. He held his ground proving he meant what he said and his analysis of Kircheis was spot on, demonstrating he could be useful.

Regarding the differences between the original and the adaptations, the more I find out about it, the more it seems to me that the OVA improved upon the original material with its changes and additions, while this adaptation is trying to be more faithful but still makes smaller changes that always end up being for the worst.
__________________
Rize and Kaneki
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 00:33   Link #222
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Exactly because Oberstein is so shamelessly open about who he is and what he wants and why. Reinhard knows who Obe is, knows what he's trying to avoid and achieve. At this point Obe has everything to lose and Reinhard lots and lots to gain from saving him.

It's not like Reinhard trusts Obe as such, he knows that as long as he's doing what Obe expects him to do he will have Obe's loyalty and support. Obe pretty much says "Look, you need a man to do your dirty business. Kircheis is unsuited for it. If you help me out I'll be that man because I like what you're doing and where you're taking all this." And Reinhard, who at this point has been really wanting someone like this, says "sure, fine, let's see how this works out."
I'm just saying, if you live in a dictature, and someone you've never met and barely heard of waltzes into your office saying "Death to the tyrant, am I right? *wink wink nudge nudge*", not denouncing him takes a lot of trust. You have to not only trust he's not from the secret police or something, you have to trust he won't open his mouth to the wrong people when he's just demonstrated what a mouth he has on him.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 01:07   Link #223
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
First they surround the bigger force, silly but fine, then they leave one opening for the enemy to leave, fine. Then they trap a seemingly SMALL part of enemy fleet in.
At first I thought that they trapped the bit where the enemy commander was and that they were going to threathen him, but no, he smartly was not in the rearguard.
Then Redhead's Ace Custom Battleship (RED 'UNS GO FASTAH!) executes a microjump or something in front of the enemy battleship. And gives the entire speech about how they didn't sink any enemy whips which was ehhhhhh.
I think that small part _is_ where the enemy commander is. The way they drew the battle map makes it look pretty important, at least.

Spoiler for screenshot:


I don't know why the commander ship is all the way in the rear. Chalk it up to the idiocy/hubris of Castrop?
__________________
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 01:15   Link #224
4th Dimension
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Adriatic Coast, Montenegro, Balkans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm just saying, if you live in a dictature, and someone you've never met and barely heard of waltzes into your office saying "Death to the tyrant, am I right? *wink wink nudge nudge*", not denouncing him takes a lot of trust. You have to not only trust he's not from the secret police or something, you have to trust he won't open his mouth to the wrong people when he's just demonstrated what a mouth he has on him.
Yeeah. To me it still sounded like something an agent provocateur/infiltrator might try to pull. It's HIGH risk, but it's also HIGH reward, and the risk is a lot lower if he judged his mark properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
I think that small part _is_ where the enemy commander is. The way they drew the battle map makes it look pretty important, at least.

Spoiler for screenshot:


I don't know why the commander ship is all the way in the rear. Chalk it up to the idiocy/hubris of Castrop?
Except when K contacts the fleet he is not threatening Castorp. In fact the supposed keystone of the situation is that Castorp is not willing to surrender/die for a (SMALL) portion of his subjects.

If it was otherwise, I'd expect him to address C DIRECTLY, and lay out to him that he has already personally lost. Because even if his fleet destroys K's, K's will ANNIHILATE Castorp long before they go down themselves. So he can surrender and probably get exiled or something. Or DIE.
__________________

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 01:22   Link #225
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Yeeah. To me it still sounded like something an agent provocateur/infiltrator might try to pull. It's HIGH risk, but it's also HIGH reward, and the risk is a lot lower if he judged his mark properly.
He even has a motive: he might have made a deal to avoid the death penalty in his upcoming court martial.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 03:14   Link #226
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Regarding the differences between the original and the adaptations, the more I find out about it, the more it seems to me that the OVA improved upon the original material with its changes and additions, while this adaptation is trying to be more faithful but still makes smaller changes that always end up being for the worst.
The OVA didn't necessarily improve on the novel, more like it adapted it in a way that fit its own concept (a very slow, somewhat documentary-like presentation that is, and this is important, aimed at people already familiar with the novel), with a mostly sure hand and very good sense of what this world is like and what these characters are like, and what sort of story it is. It has some changes and additions that I really like, some that I think don't work at all and come across as very awkward/not realistic, but most of them have to do with filling in the time by expanding on things in the novel, as a sort of fanservice, kind of like the reverse of when a movie gets a novelization.

The problem with DNT (well, one of the problems) is that it's trying to be like the OVA without having the OVA's circumstances and concept, and it doesn't seem to really understand why the OVA's method of adaptation worked. Plus the writing is far inferior when it comes to changes and original material. So where the OVA had a slow, deliberate pacing that nevertheless was engaging, DNT just feels slow and dragged out, with changes/etc. that are just kind of there and have no particular weight or consequence in the story. Things happen that shouldn't happen in such a setting; characters who are not really important in the long run get a lot of screentime; some characters who are going to be very important, or are just kind of iconic, are barely even mentioned (hello, Rubinsky, Reuenthal, Hilda, Poplin, should I go on...).

For the record, the OVA's version of the Kastropf story is one that I didn't think really worked, or at least didn't work as much as it could have. It's nice that they introduced the necklace, and also to give this extended screentime to Kircheis as a reminder of the kind of person he is, and to give more weight of Oberstein's assessment of him. But eh, the Kastropf's Roman Theme Park setting and the Julius Caesar thing was really cheesy and distracting, and had the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

Still, it worked better than DNT where I'm really not sure what we're even supposed to take away from this story. In the novel the points are as I mentioned previously (btw I just checked, it's not even two pages! it's like, three paragraphs). In the OVA you are reminded, in case you forgot, that Kircheis is a very talented person who is nevertheless very gentle and would rather avoid bloodshed, which is important both to present Obe as a sort of anti-Kircheis, and also to see how Kircheis works as a balancing force to Reinhard. In DNT we get... what exactly? This Kircheis is not the OVA's Kircheis (or the novel's, for that matter). The writers tried to somehow mix the OVA and the novel together, without seemingly having a clear idea of what they were trying to get at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm just saying, if you live in a dictature, and someone you've never met and barely heard of waltzes into your office saying "Death to the tyrant, am I right? *wink wink nudge nudge*", not denouncing him takes a lot of trust. You have to not only trust he's not from the secret police or something, you have to trust he won't open his mouth to the wrong people when he's just demonstrated what a mouth he has on him.
That's not really what happened, though. That is, I don't remember what happened in the actual episode because I kind of tuned out the moment Obe opened his mouth (ugh, the secondhand embarrassment) but this dialogue between Reinhard and Obe is supposed to have an arc. It's not like Obe comes in and says "Death to the tyrant!", and in fact when he does say that, Reinhard has the appropriate reaction: he moves to arrest him. And it's only when Reinhard assesses Obe's reaction to this and understands that Obe is being serious, that he starts coming around, and understand the sort of man Oberstein is, and why he's not a threat to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He even has a motive: he might have made a deal to avoid the death penalty in his upcoming court martial.
At this point Reinhard is not (yet) enough of a threat for Lichtenlade & Co. to pull this kind of trick, not to mention what if Reinhard doesn't react in the expected manner? (And again, note that he doesn't, he immediately orders Kircheis to pull his gun on Obe.) It's too much of a potential mess for something that can be arranged in much easier ways if Lichtenlade thinks it's necessary.

I mean... everyone might have a motive. Who's to say Kircheis can't make a deal behind Reinhard's back for whatever reason? Who's to say Oberstein is not a two-headed alien from Betelgeuse? At one point you have to start trusting your instincts and hope for the best.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2018-05-24 at 03:36.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 03:49   Link #227
Skaddix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
I don't get how this guy got 10,000 Ships...he has no charisma and doesn't seem to be a genius and given the way he is abusing his men he doesn't seem to be paying them well...

Is the Empire suppose to be a Feudal System where every major noble has his own fleet?
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 03:56   Link #228
pervypig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
^ It's explained before: Guy didn't originally have 10k fleet, but got a super defense system that makes more sense since he ain't some imperial fleet commander. The new adaptation made it so for simplicity sake.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 04:01   Link #229
RDNexus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal
Age: 32
On that point, it sure sucked. It made the whole event rather inconsistent.
__________________
For those potentially interested, I've translated Chapter 01 of my original LN-style story, LEGACY SCIONS, from portuguese to english.

You can download it here. Feedback is welcome. I hope you like it.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 04:04   Link #230
pervypig
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Well, they've only got 24 episodes to cover the whole fuggin' saga... that's 1/4 of the OVA (1/6 if you count the prequels), they are trying their best...
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 05:25   Link #231
4th Dimension
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Adriatic Coast, Montenegro, Balkans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
I don't get how this guy got 10,000 Ships...he has no charisma and doesn't seem to be a genius and given the way he is abusing his men he doesn't seem to be paying them well...

Is the Empire suppose to be a Feudal System where every major noble has his own fleet?
Aparently so. Allthoug this one was really excessive. But it seems that nobles snapping at each other is a thing that happens. And so yeah, they are more feudal than absolutist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
^ It's explained before: Guy didn't originally have 10k fleet, but got a super defense system that makes more sense since he ain't some imperial fleet commander. The new adaptation made it so for simplicity sake.
Acually, going by what others have said, there are three different versions of the events and all of them are rather different.

Novel: It basically boils down to K ambushing Kastorpf's fleet as it's racing for home.

OVA: Super-duper defence system.

Here: Just a huge fleet K outfights SOMEHOW.
__________________

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 06:31   Link #232
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
Well, they've only got 24 episodes to cover the whole fuggin' saga... that's 1/4 of the OVA (1/6 if you count the prequels), they are trying their best...
They're trying their best by... wasting 12 episodes on the first novel only?

They're obviously not trying to cover the entire story, at this point it's clear that these 24 episodes (TV series + 3 movies) won't cover more than the first two volumes of the novel series. That's one of the reasons why I'm so disappointed.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 13:28   Link #233
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
That's not really what happened, though. That is, I don't remember what happened in the actual episode because I kind of tuned out the moment Obe opened his mouth (ugh, the secondhand embarrassment) but this dialogue between Reinhard and Obe is supposed to have an arc. It's not like Obe comes in and says "Death to the tyrant!", and in fact when he does say that, Reinhard has the appropriate reaction: he moves to arrest him. And it's only when Reinhard assesses Obe's reaction to this and understands that Obe is being serious, that he starts coming around, and understand the sort of man Oberstein is, and why he's not a threat to him.
A few minutes of conversation shouldn't make an appreciable difference on the trust-o-meter. Not for something like this.

Quote:
At this point Reinhard is not (yet) enough of a threat for Lichtenlade & Co. to pull this kind of trick, not to mention what if Reinhard doesn't react in the expected manner? (And again, note that he doesn't, he immediately orders Kircheis to pull his gun on Obe.) It's too much of a potential mess for something that can be arranged in much easier ways if Lichtenlade thinks it's necessary.
Anyone can see Reinhardt will be a problem. If not for the emperor, then for any of career minded noble officer who doesn't want to kowtow to what they see as an upstart. And to more besides. It's not like he doesn't already have enemies.

Besides, one doesn't need to be an actual threat to fall afoul of a secret police in a dictature. It happens to random school teachers, it can certainly happen to fleet admirals.

Quote:
I mean... everyone might have a motive. Who's to say Kircheis can't make a deal behind Reinhard's back for whatever reason? Who's to say Oberstein is not a two-headed alien from Betelgeuse? At one point you have to start trusting your instincts and hope for the best.
There is a huge difference between trusting an inseparable friend since childhood and trusting a complete stranger. What could anyone even offer Kircheis to make him betray Reinhardt? Whereas for Oberstein, it's obvious what he might want, and on the contrary, what reasons would he have not to throw Reinhardt under the bus? He straight up boasted about not being afraid to dirty his hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
OVA: Super-duper defence system.
That's defeated by magic, because how else would you get space dust to cover a bunch of satellites?

Quote:
Here: Just a huge fleet K outfights SOMEHOW.
He didn't outfight them. He hit them at weak point, which was the lack of loyalty between Kastrop and his men. It's like bribing the other sides' mercenaries.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-24, 18:26   Link #234
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
A few minutes of conversation shouldn't make an appreciable difference on the trust-o-meter. Not for something like this.
And yet it did. Even IRL people make very serious decisions going by pure intuition, and this is fiction. At one point you either accept that Reinhard is the sort of person who does in fact take this chance even if you personally think it's madness, and puts his trust in being a very good judge of character (which is a trait he demonstrates throughout the story) and having very good intuitions (same); or well, you keep complaining every time he does something like this. Both are valid choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Anyone can see Reinhardt will be a problem. If not for the emperor, then for any of career minded noble officer who doesn't want to kowtow to what they see as an upstart. And to more besides. It's not like he doesn't already have enemies.
Reinhard is already a problem, but not enough of a problem for anyone sane to go through such a convoluted and potentially dangerous plan with someone who is clearly highly favored by the emperor. I mean what if it doesn't work? What if Reinhard arrests Oberstein who spills the beans about having been set up? What then? A plan like this is way too problematic to even worth trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Besides, one doesn't need to be an actual threat to fall afoul of a secret police in a dictature. It happens to random school teachers, it can certainly happen to fleet admirals.
This is not a dictatorship as such, though, it's a monarchy, where the high aristocracy has enough power not to allow power over themselves. They would never do something that could serve as a precedent that can be used against them, or hell anything that could turn back and bite them in the ass. (Even when they wanted to take Kastropf's wealth they went about it in a roundabout way.)

I don't know why you expect the secret police - perhaps DNT hasn't made this clear so far, but the emperor doesn't give a damn at this point. He's barely lucid most of the time anyway, and he'd made perfectly clear that he doesn't care about Reinhard's ambitions. Reinhard's enemies are Lichtenlade and company, the high aristocracy. But also, they're not stupid and understand that they have to be very careful when dealing with him, both because of his special position at the court, and because he's not stupid either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
There is a huge difference between trusting an inseparable friend since childhood and trusting a complete stranger. What could anyone even offer Kircheis to make him betray Reinhardt?
Annerose, for starters. But there's a million ways to plant doubt even in the most loyal heart, if anyone so wanted. Or hell, get their hands on Kircheis, make him talk with some sort of drug or whatever about what Reinhard keeps talking about him in private, push him into a corner. Etc. It's just that they don't want to do it because getting at Kircheis would be so damn difficult and potentially dangerous it's just basically not worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Whereas for Oberstein, it's obvious what he might want, and on the contrary, what reasons would he have not to throw Reinhardt under the bus? He straight up boasted about not being afraid to dirty his hands.
I'm not sure you understand Oberstein's character. He's not an amoral psychopath who would betray anyone at the drop of a hat, that's not what he meant by dirtying his hands, at all. He would have literally nothing to gain by throwing Reinhard under the bus. He approached Reinhard in the first place (before the whole Iserlohn business) because he saw his talent, and felt he had a good hunch as to the kind of person Reinhard is, and the kind of ambitions he has - the sort of ambitions that resonate with Oberstein's ideals. Destroying Reinhard would mean destroying the chance to make these ideals come true. It would also mean that even if Oberstein gets to go free in exchange, he'd live the rest of his life in disgrace (as he'd still be the scapegoat for the fall of Iserlohn), with even less power and zero opportunities to do anything but watch incompetent people flounder and mess up while the rot spreads even further along.

For Obe this was a gamble as much as it is for Reinhard. Is Reinhard the sort of man he thought he was? Can he prove that he has what it takes to go where Oberstein wants him to? Oberstein took this gamble not simply to save himself but also because Reinhard is the only one available through whose talent and skills Obe can carry out the changes he wants to see. Being free but having no agency is not something Oberstein would prefer.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2018-05-24 at 18:40.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 01:38   Link #235
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
And yet it did. Even IRL people make very serious decisions going by pure intuition, and this is fiction. At one point you either accept that Reinhard is the sort of person who does in fact take this chance even if you personally think it's madness, and puts his trust in being a very good judge of character (which is a trait he demonstrates throughout the story) and having very good intuitions (same); or well, you keep complaining every time he does something like this. Both are valid choices.


Reinhard is already a problem, but not enough of a problem for anyone sane to go through such a convoluted and potentially dangerous plan with someone who is clearly highly favored by the emperor. I mean what if it doesn't work? What if Reinhard arrests Oberstein who spills the beans about having been set up? What then? A plan like this is way too problematic to even worth trying.
Yes, what if it doesn't work? Absolutely nothing, that's what. They lose a worthless pawn, maybe some of his handler get implicated but the only evidence against them is testimony of an already disgraced officer who made treasonous statements.

Quote:
This is not a dictatorship as such, though, it's a monarchy, where the high aristocracy has enough power not to allow power over themselves. They would never do something that could serve as a precedent that can be used against them, or hell anything that could turn back and bite them in the ass. (Even when they wanted to take Kastropf's wealth they went about it in a roundabout way.)

I don't know why you expect the secret police - perhaps DNT hasn't made this clear so far, but the emperor doesn't give a damn at this point. He's barely lucid most of the time anyway, and he'd made perfectly clear that he doesn't care about Reinhard's ambitions. Reinhard's enemies are Lichtenlade and company, the high aristocracy. But also, they're not stupid and understand that they have to be very careful when dealing with him, both because of his special position at the court, and because he's not stupid either.


Annerose, for starters.
They'd have to be in a position to give her to him in a significant way.

Quote:
But there's a million ways to plant doubt even in the most loyal heart, if anyone so wanted. Or hell, get their hands on Kircheis, make him talk with some sort of drug or whatever about what Reinhard keeps talking about him in private, push him into a corner. Etc. It's just that they don't want to do it because getting at Kircheis would be so damn difficult and potentially dangerous it's just basically not worth the effort.


I'm not sure you understand Oberstein's character.
The problem isn't my understanding of Oberstein's character. It's how little Reinhardt had to go by to judge him. All I'm saying is, Reinhardt trusted him a lot based on very little. It's not a matter of liking or disliking it. This is a thing that happened.

Quote:
He's not an amoral psychopath who would betray anyone at the drop of a hat, that's not what he meant by dirtying his hands, at all. He would have literally nothing to gain by throwing Reinhard under the bus. He approached Reinhard in the first place (before the whole Iserlohn business) because he saw his talent, and felt he had a good hunch as to the kind of person Reinhard is, and the kind of ambitions he has - the sort of ambitions that resonate with Oberstein's ideals. Destroying Reinhard would mean destroying the chance to make these ideals come true. It would also mean that even if Oberstein gets to go free in exchange, he'd live the rest of his life in disgrace (as he'd still be the scapegoat for the fall of Iserlohn), with even less power and zero opportunities to do anything but watch incompetent people flounder and mess up while the rot spreads even further along.

For Obe this was a gamble as much as it is for Reinhard. Is Reinhard the sort of man he thought he was? Can he prove that he has what it takes to go where Oberstein wants him to? Oberstein took this gamble not simply to save himself but also because Reinhard is the only one available through whose talent and skills Obe can carry out the changes he wants to see. Being free but having no agency is not something Oberstein would prefer.
Oberstein had very little to lose at that point, and Reinhardt a whole lot.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 11:37   Link #236
kuromitsu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yes, what if it doesn't work? Absolutely nothing, that's what. They lose a worthless pawn, maybe some of his handler get implicated but the only evidence against them is testimony of an already disgraced officer who made treasonous statements.
You seriously think that there would be no trail and Reinhard wouldn't be able to connect the dots? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They'd have to be in a position to give her to him in a significant way.
Look at the emperor. Look at his general health/mental state, and Annerose's position being dependent on the emperor's favor and Reinhard's own power.. Look at Lichtenlade/etc. being in a position of pretty damn huge power. Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The problem isn't my understanding of Oberstein's character. It's how little Reinhardt had to go by to judge him. All I'm saying is, Reinhardt trusted him a lot based on very little. It's not a matter of liking or disliking it. This is a thing that happened.
And as I mentioned above, Reinhard is exactly the sort of person who knows that he's a good judge of character, is always very aware of his own situation, and often acts on intuition. This is a thing that is actually true about Reinhard, and this is not the first, nor last time he takes risks based on gut instinct. Just because you think it's madness that's still what the character is like. (Also, it's not like Reinhard doesn't know who Oberstein is and what situation he is in.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Oberstein had very little to lose at that point, and Reinhardt a whole lot.
We'll just have to disagree on that, I guess.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 12:57   Link #237
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Actually, thinking Reinhard has little to lose before his eventual ascension to power is seriously WRONG. At this point of story he and his allies are only his sister and his subordinates, you can tell 90% of the nobles and other top leaders of the court is hostile to him and his group, be it because of jealousy or fear towards his fast promotion, or both. (Some like Merkatz will recognize his talents, but they won't stand to Reinhard's side anyway) Basically almost everyone will try to take advantage against Reinhard should he fail at some point, so it's better for him to have more allies rather than enemies. (The most important function of this rebellion is actually introducing the Marindorf family, which will have significant roles as the story goes on, one of them being drawing some nobles to Reinhard's side)

And Oberstein's viewpoint towards Kircheis is, to a certain degree, also lessons from history. The court (or the history) of LOGH is so full of strife and coup that made our medieval history like kids' show, and absolutely no one can be trusted. We as viewers all know Kircheis won't betray Reinhard, but others may not think the same.
__________________
Obviously ,hope is the first step to the road of disappointment.
But no fear, people can only overcome disappointment when one still has hope in the mind.
So keep on fighting UNTIL THE GOAL IS REACHED!!
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 13:00   Link #238
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
You seriously think that there would be no trail and Reinhard wouldn't be able to connect the dots? Really?
So what if he does connect the dots? What changes for them? There might be a trail, but it won't be an actionable one.

Quote:
Look at the emperor. Look at his general health/mental state, and Annerose's position being dependent on the emperor's favor and Reinhard's own power.. Look at Lichtenlade/etc. being in a position of pretty damn huge power. Yeah.
None of them could make her not be angry or sad if Kircheis threw Reinhardt under the bus. They can, at best, have her killed, or threaten to do so. And the logistics of using that to manipulate Kirecheis are non-trivial.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-25, 20:59   Link #239
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Except when K contacts the fleet he is not threatening Castorp. In fact the supposed keystone of the situation is that Castorp is not willing to surrender/die for a (SMALL) portion of his subjects.

If it was otherwise, I'd expect him to address C DIRECTLY, and lay out to him that he has already personally lost. Because even if his fleet destroys K's, K's will ANNIHILATE Castorp long before they go down themselves. So he can surrender and probably get exiled or something. Or DIE.
I looked back at the episode and yes, I think you're right. Although the only thing that positively indicates this is his subordinate's "If we attack, we'll destroy our forces within their encirclement", which implies that they're not personally in the encirclement.

This Castrop character and incident is kind of comic to begin with, so regardless of the details, I'll just accept the main takeaway that Kircheis is competent.

(If, as kuromitsu points out that the scene might've been intended to show Kircheis's gentleness as well, as the OVA does, then certainly it failed in that regard)
__________________
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-26, 17:36   Link #240
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I'm not watching much anime any more, and I was always more into Noitamina and romance than space battle. But LoGH was an exception. And having watched thus far, I think this adaptation is outstanding, without the rich slowness of the great version, but with lots of rich pace.

And the human relations are working beautifully for me, as are the voices. In this ep, Mamo-chan is great, Umehara is solid, and Suwabe is fantastic. And I think Kircheis's humanity came through well, in very few seconds and with no sloppy sentiment. I like pace, and I thought the scene where Lohengramm rejected, then accepted Oberstein was masterfully sketched. And sketching things quickly is what this adaptation has apparently decided to do. Works for me.

I have to bow to others regarding the choreography of the battles, which I've never really understood. But this simple treatment worked very well for me.

In any case, this is a show I'm eagerly awaiting every week. Thanks for letting me in to say so.
__________________
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 28). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Soul Eater Not! (Meme). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). etc., etc. Total of 250 roles.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.