AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-06-23, 09:52   Link #381
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I don't think they have time for 5-10 minutes per student.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 10:30   Link #382
The 48th Ronin
EISAI HARAMASUKOI

I'd hate to be Bakugo's dad.

So AFO is locked in MHA's version of Impel Down,.but he has finished grooming Tomura as the next big villain.

GRAND SPONSOR NO TOKYO BAY, OH CHRISTMAS
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 10:36   Link #383
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 48th Ronin View Post
I'd hate to be Bakugo's dad.
While I'm sure he loves his wife, I doubt he had any say in their marriage.

Quote:
So AFO is locked in MHA's version of Impel Down,.but he has finished grooming Tomura as the next big villain.
Kind of surprised me here. Since he'd previously talked of him as "the next me" or something like that, I thought at the least that he was going to try to find a way to pass his ability on to him. Part of his ability is the ability to pass things on to others, so it should certainly be possible to pass AFO itself on.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 11:14   Link #384
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Bakugou really takes after his mom, to the point you have to wonder if he isn't her genderbent clone
When she isn't being angry, she's very nice though. I liked that she immediately entrusted her son to UA.

Izuku's mom was a lot harder to convince, but it's understandable given what she's seen her son go through in the span of just a few months. Izuku realized this happened because he had been neglecting her feelings. All Might's speech was great.

AFO's monologue at the end was interesting. He thinks All Might lost his chance to die as a hero. He believes he lost the battle but not the war, and that him being imprisoned and unable to support Shigaraki will allow the latter to grow, and that All Might dying would have had the same effect on Izuku.
Old 2018-06-23, 11:23   Link #385
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I was not expecting Bakugo's parents to be like that. But at the same time, I never thought about it. They seem fun, but I still don't like Bakugo.

So assuming what One for All said is true, is Shigaraki the son of the child Nana left at the foster care? She doesn't look that old to be a grandmother. At the same time, looks can be deceiving.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 11:49   Link #386
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
So assuming what One for All said is true, is Shigaraki the son of the child Nana left at the foster care? She doesn't look that old to be a grandmother. At the same time, looks can be deceiving.
We don't know when exactly those flashbacks take place, the only point of reference we have is Gran Torino who looked really young when she was discussing young All Might with him. He seemed about the same age as her, and look at him now. It's possible. It depends on the age of her kid when she left him into foster care too.
Old 2018-06-23, 14:16   Link #387
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
AFO's monologue at the end was interesting. He thinks All Might lost his chance to die as a hero. He believes he lost the battle but not the war, and that him being imprisoned and unable to support Shigaraki will allow the latter to grow, and that All Might dying would have had the same effect on Izuku.
AFO's argument is interesting, although arguably All Might also "died" in that fight as well. All he can do for Midoriya from now on is pass on his knowledge and philosophy; he cannot really support him physically or really do anything for him in a pinch. Midoriya is no longer protected by All Might just as Shigaraki is no longer protected by AFO.
Old 2018-06-23, 15:04   Link #388
Irenesharda

THANK YOU SO MUCH BnHA!!!

Finally, there is a shonen series that treats the parents seriously as the guardians of their children, and not just throw away characters that are barely if ever mentioned and practically never appear.

It is so, so rare for a shonen series that likes to put its preteen and teen characters out in huge amounts of danger, and yet never show them having parents, or if they do have parents they are some of the most irresponsible parents ever. And yet, instead, they changed that. They had the parents play a crucial part and had Izuku's mom be extremely vocal and influential in his future and most parents would be with a child in high school. I hope that along with telling her that he plans for Izuku to be his successor, he also told her the truth about his powers. I think she needs to know and it would clear the air between them all and have no secrets.

I also absolutely love Midoriya and All Might's relationship and how he promised to devote the rest of his life to raising Izuku. Their father/son relationship is so awesome here.

It's kind of cool seeing Bakago's family for the first time and you can see how his mom noticed that he had been going down the wrong path in the beginning and is hoping for UA to turn him around. Also, Bakago realizes something is going on with Deku and All Might but is okay with All Might not telling him, and showing a huge amount of growth, silently thanks All Might for saving him.

Deky also shows some growth here in that while he loves UA, as long he gets to be in a school in any hero program, he is confident enough that he can become the hero he needs to be. Also, I guess knowing the responsibility on his shoulders and that he has All Might behind him no matter where he goes, helps in making that decision as well.

And then we see that the All for One is in prison now, though I'm sorry, but that CLEARLY doesn't look like enough to hold him. Honestly, the only reason he's probably staying in prison is because he WANTS to.

As for Nana Shimura, I don't agree with what she did and I think it was incredibly foolish on her part and led to the situation Shigaraki is in. And Shigaraki is pretty pissed, so it's going to be interesting seeing where that leads.

Sooo...All Might is retired. Endeavor is pissed because he's now the #1 hero by default. And they have decided to make UA a boarding school in order to better protect the hero students.
Usually turning a regular school into a boarding school would take a lot of work and years to implement, but considering the quirks available in this world, it should only take a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I think you have to consider that many characters might be older than you think they are. For example, I think All Might is probably in his early 50s at this point considering the timeline of events. Remember that Stain, who is in his 30s, was inspired by All Might to join a hero program in high school. Even in Japan, high school would start around 14-15 years old. So, he would have been starting high school AT LEAST around the point Izuku was born or shortly after. At that point, All Might was already a pro-hero. He too went to UA, so at least 3-4 years before that was when he met Nana Shimura. Looking at the flashback, All Might is wearing a junior high uniform.
Also, consider the fact that Endeavor, who has adult children, also went to UA at around the same time as All Might. This all suggests that All Might has been a pro-hero for at least 15-20 years. Nana Shimura was an adult and probably married at least by the time she met All Might went he was about 13 or 14.

Let's say she died around that same time in her mid-30s or even early 40s, she had a child prior to that and gave him up after her husband died, but the child was some years old at that point. Add another 10 to 15 years for that child to grow up and have their own child, and then another 18-20 years after that, it all adds up. I think it really depends on how old the child was when she died, and that would give you a better idea of the timeline considering all the other facts I've mentioned.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2018-06-23 at 15:23.
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 15:23   Link #389
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Just natural that everything when it comes to AFO and All Might would be in conflict. Their views and decisions on how to proceed as mentors can't even align. Who knows if AFO is right or not, but it isn't the path All Might chose. He chose to live and believed in supporting Deku while walking along with him on this path. And honestly I'm happy for it. There is still room for All Might himself to grow as a teacher and mentor. There is more he can pass along to Deku.

And I think Deku's mother hit the point nicely. Deku looks up to All Might. He is both his goal and the reason he wanted to become a hero at all. He doesn't want to see All Might die for his sake, but rather to support him. Deku reaching his goal with All Might seeing it is something that has meaning. There is more than one way to help guide someone. Dying and leaving a blazing example can work in cases. But so can the harder route of staying alive and continuing to work hard to raise Deku as a hero. It's not going to be easy, but it is the way to go about it that will leave Deku himself happier.

Regardless I like how they handled things with Izuku's mother. She had a stand point that was logical and emotionally compelling. She's seen her kid get constantly hurt and injured since he started on this path. There had to be one parent that would say "I'm not sure about this" and it works coming from her. It gives All Might and Deku chances to reflect on their decisions to this point and proceed forward. She doesn't turn into some kind of unlikable monster that is getting in Deku's way, but rather feels like a parent just trying to find a way forward. That worked.

I'd say the most pitiful person in this whole episode was Endeavor. Basically throwing a tantrum like a child. He gets the #1 position not because he surpassed All Might, but because he had to retire. I think for Todoroki it just makes his father look more pitiful and maybe helps him move forward. There is no reason to let that childish and abusive man run his life.
Old 2018-06-23, 15:25   Link #390
wissenschaft

I nominate Midoriya's mom for best shonen mom. Shes adorable.
Old 2018-06-23, 15:33   Link #391
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Heroes are neither judge nor executioner.

Also this is a society where various kinds of abilities are widespread. I find it highly unlikely that he will just "bust out" like nothing happened.
I didn't say they were, but then again, I have no problem with heroes killing. Captain America is one of my favorite superheroes of all time, and he kills all the time. To me, it's more about intention and beliefs than simply stalwart actions.
Anyway, when I was talking about All for One, in the plot itself, I was surprised he wasn't killed in the fight considering what a powerful character he is. The prison they locked him in doesn't seem very secure. And yes, they probably do have prisons that can be used for villains, but they have never dealt with a criminal like him before either.
Also, with warping quirks being said to be very rare, I'm wondering how they deal with that as well.

At the same time, I'm guessing All for One will get the death sentence, so it will be interesting to see how they kill heroes with quirks like his.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2018-06-23 at 15:47.
Old 2018-06-23, 15:35   Link #392
Wandering Soul

In addition to Deku's mother being treated as an actual person with realistic concerns and legitimate argument backing her, I also like how Bakugou's mother was able to see how an entire childhood of constantly being praised over everything turned Bakugou into what he was.

Last edited by Wandering Soul; 2018-06-23 at 15:47.
Wandering Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 16:00   Link #393
Twi

Yeah. The moms in this series are good people.
Old 2018-06-23, 16:35   Link #394
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I didn't say they were, but then again, I have no problem with heroes killing. Captain America is one of my favorite superheroes of all time, and he kills all the time. To me, it's more about intention and beliefs than simply stalwart actions.
Anyway, when I was talking about All for One, in the plot itself, I was surprised he wasn't killed in the fight considering what a powerful character he is. The prison they locked him in doesn't seem very secure. And yes, they probably do have prisons that can be used for villains, but they have never dealt with a criminal like him before either.
Also, with warping quirks being said to be very rare, I'm wondering how they deal with that as well.

At the same time, I'm guessing All for One will get the death sentence, so it will be interesting to see how they kill heroes with quirks like his.
I think it's more of a "if he doesn't happen to die in battle, you can't just kill him in cold blood" thing. All Might didn't look like not killing AfO was a main objective for him, the same way it might have been for Batman or Spider-Man. In fact, they thought AfO was dead, supposedly after having been beaten up by All Might, and we never saw him be especially sad about the fact. But there's a difference between killing someone in a battle that's too high level to be able to afford holding back, and killing after the fact, when they're defeated and defenseless. The latter feels a lot more murder-y.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 16:54   Link #395
Chosen_Hero

So basically, no one else is good enough to be the symbol of hope except the chosen one... Still hate the idea of appointing someone as the only one that can become the symbol of hope. Not only is All Might basically shitting on everyone else by saying that, Deku has not (at least in my opinion) earned the right to be the only one in the entire world to become the symbol of hope. Superman at least had the decency of earning his status as a symbol of hope (the symbol on his chest actually meaning hope is just plot contrivance).

Then there is Deku's mom, first of all, how the hell did she shrink so much? Pretty sure that is not her quirk.

Second, while I agree that she has any and all right to be concerned for her son as a mother, like I have mentioned before, Deku chose a highly dangerous profession where he is being trained to go against criminals with their own probably dangerous quirks and stop them. I understand her wanting her son to not get hurt but she (along with any parent whose kid chooses a career that has the chance of hurting if not getting them killed) should have known or at least prepared for the reality that comes with certain career choices, especially if she knew what his dream was since he was like 5 years old or something.

Now, I am sure some here will want to reply with "but she wasn't expecting for him to get into this kind of danger during his school years" and to that I say, the school literally displays their names and faces in a open public event made to show off the future prospects that will be getting in the way of villains. If they wanted they could just have attacked him on his way to and from school.

As I have said, Deku is studying a highly dangerous profession where attempts at his life will be made for the pettiest of reasons (they were just attacked on the reasoning that the bad guys wanted to extend some of them an invitation). Being attacked during a school field trip is the least of his worries, he should count himself lucky that he or his mom didn't killed while opening the front door of their house since knowledge about him can basically be googled, that is if they are not handing out baseball card with all of their info yet (plot convenience or plot induced villain stupidity are the only reasons this has not happened yet, to any one... At least to the ones without pro hero parents).

So yeah, sorry if this episode didn't make me emotional or anything like that (got tired of their crying by the first episode of the series), the whole dorm thing is actually a good development but a good villain knows where to hit a hero where it hurts (not like the plot will let them be that smart anytime soon).

Also, since I didn't say it last time, last episode was a great episode for All Might, definitely the best episode of the series so far.
Old 2018-06-23, 17:00   Link #396
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
AFO's monologue at the end was interesting. He thinks All Might lost his chance to die as a hero.
I think AfO is projecting his desire of seeing All Might dead, as in "all heroes should become martyrs, we should fill a cemetery with all of them".

Quote:
He believes he lost the battle but not the war, and that him being imprisoned and unable to support Shigaraki will allow the latter to grow, and that All Might dying would have had the same effect on Izuku.
The real difference is that AfO is a manipulator, he uses people (Shigaraki included) and discards them when no longer useful. All Might is a true mentor that will make everything in his power to nurture his disciple.

AfO must be a little relieved he is in jail, he knows in the short term he will not be harmed and without moving a finger he is a symbol of the chaos to come, All might became powerless but he is not, this is merely a setback for someone used to getting away with crimes over and over again. AfO is more like a sith lord, shigaraki is a fool for not demanding AfO to inherit his quirk.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 17:37   Link #397
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I think it's more of a "if he doesn't happen to die in battle, you can't just kill him in cold blood" thing. All Might didn't look like not killing AfO was a main objective for him, the same way it might have been for Batman or Spider-Man. In fact, they thought AfO was dead, supposedly after having been beaten up by All Might, and we never saw him be especially sad about the fact. But there's a difference between killing someone in a battle that's too high level to be able to afford holding back, and killing after the fact, when they're defeated and defenseless. The latter feels a lot more murder-y.
Oh, I feel the exact same. I had just expected All for One to die in the fight the same way I kind of expected All Might to do the same. I didn't mean for All Might to execute him, but I also didn't expect him to pull his punches either. That's all I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
So basically, no one else is good enough to be the symbol of hope except the chosen one... Still hate the idea of appointing someone as the only one that can become the symbol of hope. Not only is All Might basically shitting on everyone else by saying that, Deku has not (at least in my opinion) earned the right to be the only one in the entire world to become the symbol of hope. Superman at least had the decency of earning his status as a symbol of hope (the symbol on his chest actually meaning hope is just plot contrivance).
I don't think you are giving either All Might or Deku enough credit. We saw when All Might decided to become the symbol of peace, that was something of his own invention, his own design. No one else had even thought of it before. And it wasn't like he suddenly became it either, it was something that he worked his butt off accomplishing. He worked hard to become the #1 hero and then maintained it, and his power and presence and accomplishment is what cause villains to think twice and thus cause crime to go down so drastically. He very much earned that title.

Also for Deku, well, he's going to have to earn it too. It's a meaningless title if the hero who has it can't back it up. And we have honestly seen no other hero that has a heart like All Might other than Deku. It's that heart that makes All Might who he is. If you just want power you go with someone like Endeavor, but All Might is the full package, and Deku so far, is the only one we have seen that seems to have a chance of attaining that full package.

I know that you don't like it, but the idea of lineage is also very important to the story. The idea of passing down things to an heir. It's pretty much the core crux of One for All. And sorry, no, not everyone can be the heir. But that's okay too. They show that All Might, despite being the greatest and the strongest, needs help too. He needs people to be his support. We KNOW Deku will be the greatest hero. It IS a foregone conclusion. Trying to point to anything else would just be a waste of time. We're just trying to see how Deku earns that title. That's all.

Quote:
Then there is Deku's mom, first of all, how the hell did she shrink so much? Pretty sure that is not her quirk.
Lol, a weird Japanese stereotype that women who get married tend to let themselves go after that, and also they seem to get WAY smaller as they get older.

Quote:
Second, while I agree that she has any and all right to be concerned for her son as a mother, like I have mentioned before, Deku chose a highly dangerous profession where he is being trained to go against criminals with their own probably dangerous quirks and stop them. I understand her wanting her son to not get hurt but she (along with any parent whose kid chooses a career that has the chance of hurting if not getting them killed) should have known or at least prepared for the reality that comes with certain career choices, especially if she knew what his dream was since he was like 5 years old or something.

Now, I am sure some here will want to reply with "but she wasn't expecting for him to get into this kind of danger during his school years" and to that I say, the school literally displays their names and faces in a open public event made to show off the future prospects that will be getting in the way of villains. If they wanted they could just have attacked him on his way to and from school.

As I have said, Deku is studying a highly dangerous profession where attempts at his life will be made for the pettiest of reasons (they were just attacked on the reasoning that the bad guys wanted to extend some of them an invitation). Being attacked during a school field trip is the least of his worries, he should count himself lucky that he or his mom didn't killed while opening the front door of their house since knowledge about him can basically be googled, that is if they are not handing out baseball card with all of their info yet (plot convenience or plot induced villain stupidity are the only reasons this has not happened yet, to any one... At least to the ones without pro hero parents).
I think it would be like the difference of having your child in a military high school vs active military combat duty. I would not expect my child to be facing the same kind of dangers in the first as he would in the second. Sure, if your child decides to become a police officer or a soldier, yes you will have to come to grips that their lives will be endangered while in the profession. BUT that doesn't mean you expect them to have to start facing that kind of danger when they are only 14-15 years old.

Also, you have to realize that what's been going on with UA is NOT normal. UA has admitted that were unprepared for this kind of assault and are not used to this kind of stuff happening. All Might deciding to teach at UA painted a huge target on that school. One that it had never had before. Other schools with hero programs don't face this kind of thing. What has been occurring with the league of villains is highly irregular.

Deku's mom is completely right to state her concerns and to think about perhaps moving Deku to another school with another hero program. He would still be in the career he desires, but be in less imminent danger compared to the kind that UA has attracted because of All Might's presence.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2018-06-23, 18:23   Link #398
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
As for Nana Shimura, I don't agree with what she did and I think it was incredibly foolish on her part and led to the situation Shigaraki is in.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I can totally understand why Nana gave up her child. She made many powerful enemies during her career as a hero including All For One. These villains would have stopped at nothing to see her and those close to her dead. I can see raising a child under these circumstances would be very dangerous to the well being of said child.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2018-06-23 at 19:45.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 18:52   Link #399
grecefar

Bakugou mother <3

The problem is that it was bad luck for deku mother that he got the quirk that will save them all and become the next pillar. And it doesn't help that every time he use it deku becomes a mess, izuku mother I think that she want his son to become a hero, any mother would like to see her son reach his dream but not the become THE hero.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-23, 19:18   Link #400
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I can totally understand why Nana gave up her child. She made many powerful enemies during her career as a hero including All For One. These villains would have stopped at nothing to see her and those close to her dead. I can see raising a child these circumstances would be very dangerous to the well being of said child.
Case in point, we just saw what happened to Kouta.

Tags
super hero