AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-10-06, 23:05   Link #61
Firefly00
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
Nope, your opponents don't have the tech or skill investments you have, but they've got the numbers, the home advantage, and most importantly they won't fight fair--they're not under any obligation to. Also Low Intelligence doesn't necessarily mean completely stupid--you want stupid unthinking hordes of enemies, go fight Zombies. Goblins are a lot more capable than that.
And right after this comes the fact of - because they're intelligent - goblins will learn from encounters, and adapt.

Quote:
Plus, you're invading their home cave. Not going to be easy. There's going to be a lot of angry Goblins in there.

A LOT.
Indeed, there is much to be said for home field advantage. Sort of related: do we know how reliant on sight - specifically, in the visible light spectrum - goblins in this setting are? If I recall the clip correctly, the adventurers' torches were the only light source, which implies the answer to the question is 'not very'... so I wouldn't put it beyond the cleverer goblins to attempt to douse the lights first (see: water arrows in the Thief games; plinking lights in Splinter Cell). Also not clear, from what I recall, is whether they mark casters (mages/priests) as priority targets (reference)... which would represent a deconstruction of the common trope of casters wearing visually distinct outfits...

Quote:
In an RPG sense, a bad DM usually just throws hordes of Goblins at a party, and they get slaughtered pretty quickly. Which isn't bad game-wise, but it's usually a very smart DM who knows how to use Goblins properly...
Kobolds, too, if I recall D&D correctly.

Quote:
Just as a reference:
https://youtu.be/Lkzgx8V_eK4

<<---has been in an RPG campaign years ago where I was a Noob and was mauled by Goblins using guerilla tactics.
And if that's bad, imagine encountering a team of drow run the same way.
__________________
White Knight of the Order of Mihoshi Enthusiasts
"Destroyed overnight, or the next one's free."
Arc Nova
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 23:07   Link #62
kukuru
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Goblins are weak as heck. But it doesn't mean much unlesss you got some kind of RPG status protecting, such as HP bars and armor defense.

People die when they are stabbed, and people can't fight when they get poisoned. Fresh newbies are not MCs or recarnation tactical knowledge. They were in fact bigger idiots then goblins, and goblins not only out numbered them quite a lot, but apparently had 2 high levels among them as ringers.

Basically low fantasy like this absolutely means goblin are weak, but so are humans.

And obvious to the non-readers, talking about the reasons for goblins winning is highly spoilerish and get explained over time, so we can't just go and state (albeit somewhat contrived) reasons.

But here's the gist of it. What is the first thing the Guild employee asks? "Do you know how to read and write?"
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 23:09   Link #63
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
So why are we supposed to hate the goblins again? I mean apart from them being the mega rape machine race all they did was let some idiots win their Darwin awards. And who could blame them for that, those "adventurers" were just looking for a place to commit suicide.
Well some people hate pests some others don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
They got any slimes in that world?
Rats. Of course, rats weren't challenging enough for our rising starts.
__________________
満天を見よ! そして、彼の七星を刮目せよ!
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-06, 23:45   Link #64
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
And right after this comes the fact of - because they're intelligent - goblins will learn from encounters, and adapt.
- Yep. "Low" Inteligence does not mean NO Intelligence.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 00:21   Link #65
Chosen_Hero
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
3dgy5me. Sorry but no, this clearly is not for me. The only thing I liked about this was Goblin Slayers design, outside of that this is everything that I hate about fantasy anime in one big edgy package. IF I gather the interest I'll maybe watch the second episode (as not to completely judge by one episode alone), but I wouldn't count on it happening.
__________________
Chosen_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 00:42   Link #66
Sixth
Nobita
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
3dgy5me. Sorry but no, this clearly is not for me. The only thing I liked about this was Goblin Slayers design, outside of that this is everything that I hate about fantasy anime in one big edgy package. IF I gather the interest I'll maybe watch the second episode (as not to completely judge by one episode alone), but I wouldn't count on it happening.
You should do "3 episodes rule" then.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 01:23   Link #67
moridin84
Custom User Title
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- I'm strangely reminded of Gjallahorn from Gundam IBO: People so used to "Honorable" straightforward duels and battles and can't deal with enemies who actually have a sense of tactics. Same thing, I think: Most stereotypical "Great Heroes" make a big deal of "fighting fair" and honorably because they know they have the advantage in that situation. I tend to think half the time one of those guys refuses to fight "Lower Level" opponents is because they know they'll lose to someone who's not dumb enough to fight them on their terms.
Well, the ones that fight goblins are generally rookie adventures with no experience.

Quote:
- I think the LN or manga hinted that Goblin Children are essentially born from the rape of human/elf/other women? Don't quote me on that, though.
Yes, as far as I know, there are no female goblins.

Does it matter?

The problem with goblins is that they attack nearby villages, stealing food, equipment, and eventually, women. When that happens the villagers ask the guild to send adventurers to kill the goblins and, if possible, rescue the women.

You don't need to think of abstract moral terms.

Adventures who take goblin quests are simply protecting villagers who were attacked by goblins.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 01:29   Link #68
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
3dgy5me. Sorry but no, this clearly is not for me. The only thing I liked about this was Goblin Slayers design, outside of that this is everything that I hate about fantasy anime in one big edgy package. IF I gather the interest I'll maybe watch the second episode (as not to completely judge by one episode alone), but I wouldn't count on it happening.

Don't put yourself through that or waste the time you could be spend doing something else on something you don't like it. If it's not for you, then its just not for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
But here's the gist of it. What is the first thing the Guild employee asks? "Do you know how to read and write?"

Well, it is s a medieval setting in a world beset by monsters constantly with Goblins being on the low end of the totem pole and they're basically out in the boonies where the villages are. It wouldn't be a surprise some people couldn't read or write.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 01:55   Link #69
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Does it matter?
It does to me. Goblins being a parasitic species makes the setting a lot more interesting than hurrdurr they're an evil race that just rape humans for fun.

But yes, while it doesn't change the adventurers' job, it changes what it means to kill goblins. If there is a "good" goblin as the priestess suggests, one can argue it should still be killed because its very nature is detrimental to the survival of humankind.
__________________
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 02:20   Link #70
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base and Chaldea
Age: 40
People who are walking into Goblin Slayer expecting "humanization" of goblins through World of Warcraft-style of Hordewank are in the wrong show. The portrayal of gobs, and other monsters, are closer to Warhammer Fantasy and Runequest. Runequest have an entire race, the Broos, that is quite rapey, mainly because of a very fucked up story involving marital rape, descent into madness and corruption, and they dont have any choice (1d4chan have a very good summary of the whole thing).
__________________
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=959 target=_blank>Kancolle Social Group</a>
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 02:54   Link #71
Eater of All
NOM
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Outside the Asylum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
People who are walking into Goblin Slayer expecting "humanization" of goblins through World of Warcraft-style of Hordewank are in the wrong show. The portrayal of gobs, and other monsters, are closer to Warhammer Fantasy and Runequest. Runequest have an entire race, the Broos, that is quite rapey, mainly because of a very fucked up story involving marital rape, descent into madness and corruption, and they dont have any choice (1d4chan have a very good summary of the whole thing).
If you're referring to me, I mostly just find the mechanics of goblins reproducing through human females interesting enough to comment on and discuss. It's a nice worldbuilding detail. And after this episode and that detail, I did think it's possible for the story to delve a little into "humanizing" goblins, but even if it doesn't happen, I don't think it's a "wrong show" as long as the story is interesting in other ways.
__________________
Eater of All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 03:31   Link #72
Sixth
Nobita
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Seriously...I never know that the death of the fodders can spark so much controversial argument. In another forum that I am lurking at, people were blaming the Guild over the death of the fodders and laugh how the series made goblin looks menacing. Those posters who said those words are acting exactly like the fodders in this episode; greatly underestimating the goblins.

On the bright side, this series gained a lot of traction just from episode 1.

This is definitely anime of the season for me.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 03:52   Link #73
Hata
時の異邦人
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Emerald City
general impression of episode 1 for a GS novel and manga reader? B+, 75%, 3 out of 4 stars, etc. it did not hit it out of the ball park like the promo saying it would “shock and awe” you, but compares to other half heart adaption like Overlord III the energy and mood are properly convey,

I can only count 3 or 4 important omission/cut of dialogues, about as faithful as the time limit can get you.

another fact that jumps out? all the film camera angle/point of view are almost exact copy of the manga paneling. you can either say it is being faithful or you can say the director is lazy and lack creativity. I think lack of money is more of the cause.

priestess’s voice is pretty good, while GS is bit off from what I expected, but not critical enough to turn me off the show. (think Batman’s baritone voice, that was my expectation.)

can’t wait to hear the OP and read the new novel next week.
__________________
2020 Fall: Danmachi 3, Kuma^3 Bear, Mahouka 2, Kami-tachi ni Hirowareta Otoko
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 04:41   Link #74
xeviouses
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ophir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
Seriously...I never know that the death of the fodders can spark so much controversial argument. In another forum that I am lurking at, people were blaming the Guild over the death of the fodders and laugh how the series made goblin looks menacing. Those posters who said those words are acting exactly like the fodders in this episode; greatly underestimating the goblins.

On the bright side, this series gained a lot of traction just from episode 1.

This is definitely anime of the season for me.
I don't get why they'd blame the Guild though. The Guild is just the middle man for the payment of the quest, it's still up to an individual adventurer to accept the job or not.
__________________
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 04:47   Link #75
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
I don't get why they'd blame the Guild though. The Guild is just the middle man for the payment of the quest, it's still up to an individual adventurer to accept the job or not.
The could do more to nurture rookies. It could reserve goblin nest clearings to parties with at least one non-porcelain adventurers, for example. And while, yes, adventurers are responsible for themselves, rookies know nothing. So what they accept, they accept from a position of total ignorance.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 04:59   Link #76
Sixth
Nobita
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The could do more to nurture rookies. It could reserve goblin nest clearings to parties with at least one non-porcelain adventurers, for example. And while, yes, adventurers are responsible for themselves, rookies know nothing. So what they accept, they accept from a position of total ignorance.
Well, the Guild Girl did ask the team to wait for an experienced adventurer to come, but they decided to ignore it.

Also, this episode inflicts the sense of despair more than big massacre from other anime.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 05:03   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
Well, the Guild Girl did ask the team to wait for an experienced adventurer to come, but they decided to ignore it.
Yes, because they were foolhardy and ignorant. That's why I said the guild could straight up forbid it. In other settings, it's not uncommon for the local adventurer guild to restrict quests according to difficulty.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 05:09   Link #78
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
So, I just watched the first episode and.......do most of the noob parties in this world as dumb as the one we see in this episode? If so, no wonder many of them were wrecked by the goblins. Even the five-year-old space-rat kids from Iron-Blooded Orphans will facepalm hard when watching all the stupid decisions this noob party made. Noobs going into enemy's turf item-dry with a healer that can only cast three times is just asking for it.

I also agree that Guild should've made a stronger effort to prevent total noobs from raiding goblin's nests if similar gruesome cases already happened to many other noob parties before.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 05:27   Link #79
xeviouses
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Ophir
Problem is, in this setting while there are noobs experiencing TPKs at the hands of lesser monsters there are still those that do succeed and become set on the path of Silver, Gold or even Platinum ranks.

There's also the matter of payment, but that will be elaborated upon in the next episode so I won't spoil anything else.
Let's just say that rookies are often too eager to prove themselves and ignore precaution to do it.
__________________
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 05:41   Link #80
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philippines
This felt like watching my very first Dark Souls with this episode.

Very unforgiving.

I have a question regarding weapons. According to Goblin Slayer, swords lose sharpness after cutting many goblins. Won't it be better to bring a hand axe, club, or mace for long term use?

Let's see what happens from here.
__________________
orpheus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.