AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-02, 01:23   Link #1
ranchan13

Bit Torrent Clients Freeze Computer

Ok, so for the last couple weeks, I've been trying to solve the problem of my computer freezing when I'm downloading with torrents. Until a couple weeks ago, I have never had any issues with torrents, and I've done nothing to change my system in any way. No new softwar or hardware installed, and suddenly in the last 2 weeks my computer has been freezing after I start my bittorrent clinets.

Generally I get 30 minutes to 2 hours worth of downloading then my computer freezes and needs a hard reboot. This has happened with uTorrent, ABC, and Azuerus. Any suggestions to correct this would be helpful. If you need more information, let me know what.
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 15:58   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
XP or vista =P would be useful to know
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 16:53   Link #3
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

What OS is it, and most importantly, is this only with certain torrents or does it happen no matter what you're torrenting?
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 18:45   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Could be a wonky disk drive. Torrents exercise drives quite a lot with all the random reading and writing they do. Help for XP and Vista.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 17:16   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye on the random... I drop all my torrents in a separate drive because bejeezus it needs defragging a lot. Then I move the files I'm going to keep to another drive (the archive drive).

Check your system drive (probably C drive) and make sure you have at least 20% freespace and defrag it as well.

My suspicion is that you're dropping the torrents and everything and the OS on one drive and its become a mess of file fragments with no room for the file cluster management to play with.
Old 2008-12-04, 10:16   Link #6
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye on the random... I drop all my torrents in a separate drive because bejeezus it needs defragging a lot. Then I move the files I'm going to keep to another drive (the archive drive).

Check your system drive (probably C drive) and make sure you have at least 20% freespace and defrag it as well.

My suspicion is that you're dropping the torrents and everything and the OS on one drive and its become a mess of file fragments with no room for the file cluster management to play with.
Yep thats about right its always better to have a separate drive from your OS with your torrents on it. I have one dedicated 500GB hard drive just for torrents. It never touches my OS drive.

I would suggest either buying and installing a hard drive just for you to run bitorrent on or do what Vexx suggested and check your diskspace and defrag which will probably take a while.
Old 2008-12-06, 07:31   Link #7
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
What OS is it, and most importantly, is this only with certain torrents or does it happen no matter what you're torrenting?
OS is Windows XP
It happens regardless of torrents
And I am downloading the torrents to an External Hard Drive. I didn't have any issues with torrents freezing my computer until about 3 weeks ago, and I have not installed anything new, hardware or software wise since. The only changes that have been made to my sytem are spyware removals by my virus scanner.
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
Old 2008-12-06, 09:17   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
As said already, check your hard drive space. It could just be that you're driving the filesystem to about 90% of its capacity or something like that--even if you free up space later, fragmentation grows exponentially (even more with BitTorrent) when reaching those numbers.

BTW, it's always better to have a partition dedicated to BitTorrent downloads and use the pre-allocation method if your client supports it (this way all the space for the full file gets reserved instead of scattering tiny 64 KiB fragments all over the filesystem).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-06, 09:17   Link #9
Tiberium Wolf

I don't think fragmentation has anything to do with it. Since u say u didn't install anything and system safe. Then maybe some bad sectors int he disk and a torrent happen to using that sector. When the freeze happens do u have disk activity? If yes most likely bad sector.
Old 2008-12-06, 09:23   Link #10
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I don't think fragmentation has anything to do with it. Since u say u didn't install anything and system safe.
The OP could very well fill up his hard drive space without installing anything. You know, as in with BitTorrent downloads.

If there was some specific bad sector in the partition, my bet is that the client would probably crash itself instead of the whole system going down. What could be going on is that fragmentation is so severe that the CPU can't handle it in full.

Old 2008-12-06, 09:34   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Fragmentation severe? Maybe you should come and see my files downloaded from IRC. All with 4 digit framents. You take like 2 min to copy 200 mb to another disk. That's what I call framentation!
Old 2008-12-06, 10:40   Link #12
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Offtopic, but aren't IRC XDCC downloads written sequentially?

Old 2008-12-06, 11:45   Link #13
Tiberium Wolf

Offtopic. Not sure. I know that the data is appended as is it coming. If you have like 5 files downloading at the same time you can be sure that the data is all mixed up making a lot of segments. I think all torrents have option to allocate the full space or at least a few large chunks at a time.

With bad sectors most of the time the programs keeps hammering at the disk and unable you to do anything else. I never did have bad sectors case with torrents. But did have with other programs.
Old 2008-12-06, 19:44   Link #14
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I don't think fragmentation has anything to do with it. Since u say u didn't install anything and system safe. Then maybe some bad sectors int he disk and a torrent happen to using that sector. When the freeze happens do u have disk activity? If yes most likely bad sector.
When the freeze happens, my entire computer locks up
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform