AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-04, 20:04   Link #541
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Really? I'd think since they'd bothered to sub all the episodes that'd mean they were trying to reel in Western viewers. Considering virtually every other Haruhi product has come to the west(novel, mnaga, DVDS, CDs)I don't see why Haruhi-chan wouldn't as well.
Hrm. True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Maybe they'll be included on a special edition DVD along with the new S2 episodes.
Can see this, yeah. I know the SE DVDs had a bunch of great bonuses, so a DVD with the Haruhi-chan episodes would makes sense.
Old 2009-04-04, 23:38   Link #542
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Quote:
Maybe they'll be included on a special edition DVD along with the new S2 episodes.
Can see this, yeah. I know the SE DVDs had a bunch of great bonuses, so a DVD with the Haruhi-chan episodes would makes sense.
Can't see it. If the series is popular enough over here to warrant the anime, manga, and even novels to be licensed, and for the original Japanese creator to release English subs of the series on its YouTube broadcasts of a gag anime based on the series, I think it's safe to say that they could sell DVDs of Haruhi-chan. Why give it away effectively for free?
Old 2009-04-04, 23:47   Link #543
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well there are sell it in Japan at least starting late next month if I understood that ad correctly. If they are able to sell that (Lucasfilm and Cartoon Network were able to sell the original "Clone Wars" shorts on DVD) in Japan, they should be able to sell them elsewhere they've managed to sell Haruhi.
Old 2009-04-05, 02:03   Link #544
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

No reason they wouldn't be able to make a ton of money off of it. If [adult swim] has ever proven one thing, it's that money can be made selling DVDs of series where the individual episodes are less that 15min a piece. Just ask the guys getting rich off of Robot Chicken and Metalocalypse (and those are just the good short series they show).
Old 2009-04-05, 08:05   Link #545
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Has anyone seen the Haruhi-chan DVD ads on Kadokawa's youtube channel?

Poor Minoru Shirashi, you do anything even sitting outside on a snowy mountain, red and half naked.
Old 2009-04-05, 12:31   Link #546
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

You know, Kadokawa doesn't have a licensor lined up for the English speaking world so it's bad business sense for them to ask us to buy the DVD. What they ought to be doing is selling access to all the episodes for $3 or so.
Old 2009-04-05, 19:20   Link #547
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shii View Post
You know, Kadokawa doesn't have a licensor lined up for the English speaking world so it's bad business sense for them to ask us to buy the DVD. What they ought to be doing is selling access to all the episodes for $3 or so.
I don't think they're asking us to buy the DVDs. The ad is in Japanese, after all...

And they do have a US licensor: Kadokawa USA. They're just a licensor, so each time they've licensed something so far, they've gotten involved with an American company like FUNimation (FMP!: TSR) or Bandai (Haruhi S1, Lucky Star) for English voice casting, distribution, production, etc. Of course Haruhi-chan still hasn't been officially licensed over here, but I'd be surprised if KadoUSA doesn't end up being the one who licenses it. Kadokawa's Taiwan arm has already licensed it for that market, and parent/related companies love to keep their most lucrative properties "in the family". Ever notice how Bandai always gets the Gundam licenses?
Old 2009-04-05, 20:23   Link #548
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well it's not like translation is really an issue, since they seem to have already translated them...in fact they've released the translated versions at the same time of the original Japanese versions.

Kadokawa seemed to have really been trying to keep the english speaking fans in mind when they released these shorts.
Old 2009-04-05, 20:48   Link #549
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Well it's not like translation is really an issue, since they seem to have already translated them...in fact they've released the translated versions at the same time of the original Japanese versions.

Kadokawa seemed to have really been trying to keep the english speaking fans in mind when they released these shorts.
You have seen these subbed Haruhi-chan episodes, right? They're passable, but let's just say that you can tell that they were subbed by a company that isn't in an English-speaking country...
Old 2009-04-05, 20:57   Link #550
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
You have seen these subbed Haruhi-chan episodes, right? They're passable, but let's just say that you can tell that they were subbed by a company that isn't in an English-speaking country...
I guess the quality of the subs is a reflection of the fact that it's a series of web shorts? Not much time spent on either?

Gonzo's Tower of Druaga never seemed to have translation issues...
Old 2009-04-05, 21:56   Link #551
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I guess the quality of the subs is a reflection of the fact that it's a series of web shorts? Not much time spent on either?

Gonzo's Tower of Druaga never seemed to have translation issues...
It didn't need them, what with all the other "crappy series" issues.

Badum-bump...
Old 2009-04-06, 00:16   Link #552
Peanutbutter

I just noticed that they put Achakura on top of the credits in Ep 15.

So now her role is higher than Yuki, eh?
Old 2009-04-06, 00:20   Link #553
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

She had more lines. (but then most people have more lines than Yuki unless she's seriously explaining something).

If these spin-off count for Saimoe...this will be an interesting year (Lucky Star OVA, Clannad After Story, Munto TV, K-On!, Haruhi-chan, Nyoro~n-san, and maybe even Haruhi herself.)
Old 2009-04-06, 00:43   Link #554
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
She had more lines. (but then most people have more lines than Yuki unless she's seriously explaining something).

If these spin-off count for Saimoe...this will be an interesting year (Lucky Star OVA, Clannad After Story, Munto TV, K-On!, Haruhi-chan, Nyoro~n-san, and maybe even Haruhi herself.)
Don't tell me people still seriously follow that. Professional wrestling is less fixed than SaiMoe. Hell, the NBA is less fixed than SaiMoe...
Old 2009-04-06, 00:45   Link #555
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is something to kill time, like professional wrestling or the NBA.

Doesn't negate the question though on if those would count.
Old 2009-04-06, 09:08   Link #556
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
They're pretty good considering they're being released at the same time as the original Japanese versions.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:56   Link #557
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm surprised at the lack of new images/avatars/signatures based on the recent episodes.
Old 2009-04-06, 21:47   Link #558
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Guess people got tired of making stuff once a week
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-04-07, 08:41   Link #559
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88

(protecting himself from the sheer sexiness of his reflection)

(You 2 bakas, you made her cry!)
Old 2009-04-07, 11:33   Link #560
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Spoiler for Too many pictures:
Poor Mikuru!! I wanna hug her!
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, shounen