AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2006-04-16, 14:46   Link #301
animernq

The best you can do is either buy the Japanese versions or the slightly censored German ones (available on Amazon).
animernq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 01:05   Link #302
Fel
Clean up princess

I found the first two volumes on ebay, but that's it.
If you do a search for Naurtaru, you'll get zero results for auctions.
It's sad.
Old 2006-04-17, 17:43   Link #303
animernq

I've recently found a series called 'Yume Tsukai', which features a lot of people with weird powers and it has some loli relationships. Though its less violence than Naru Taru, its much weirder.

While Bokurano has still not been updated I have found where you can get SiNNa 1905 (Mohiro Kitoh's online manga). It has been scanlated by 'Afternoon Illusions', their IRC channel is ' #illusionary-noodles@irc.irchighway.net ' and the request information is here http://kingfish.cjb.net/~kingfish/botfish.txt.
animernq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 14:56   Link #304
Solipsist

Well sorry to revive a dead thread, but after reading through this thread I'm curious whether you all thought that Narutaru was a actually a good manga/

Let me say that I did like the series for the most part, but am I the only one who found the last two volumes to be full of creative cop-outs, unexplained mysteries, unresolved plot strings, and incredible coincidences? More than that, the characters, starting at volume seven began an almost asymptotic de-evolution from likable, albeit simplistic children, to almost nauseatingly annoying, angst drenched, teenagers. Shiina illustrates this most effectively. Oh and how about that ending?

I think the ending deserves a whole other paragraph. I'm not what you'd call an especially emotional, compassionate, person and my issue with the ending was not that everyone died. It was more that almost every character in the series besides Shiina and Kuri was cast aside like so much intellectual rubbish. In fact even that wasn't done well. Akira, Misono and Tsurumaru all just happen to die at the same general time? What the hell kind of stupid coincidence is that? But then at least we know what happened to them. Tons of other characters don't even get solid resolutions. There are more unresolved issues that were touched upon in the earlier part of the series but never even get revisited. Like the utopian realm of the dragons. What happened to that whole idea?

And the idea behing the ending was nauseatingly cliche. I've seen this death and rebirth ending done many time, and in many more interesting and creative ways. Have you all ever seen End of Evangelion, or how about Donnie Darko. Better yet have any of you ever read the bible? I think all of those did the same kind of thing in a much better way. Gee, I'm sure Kitoh was the first person to think that the world is just a giant web of irredeemable corruption who's only cure is destruction. REAL ORIGINAL. Oh and the whole thing with Shiina and Kuri mothering the new world? GAWD! It's like he couldn't think of a good way top end it so he bombarded us with 50 pages of cliches.

And you know this wouldn't be so painful if the premise of Narutaru wasn't so damn cool. Baby Dragons that human children can control, that sprout gatling guns and sparrow missiles out of their bodies, that can create an ICBM warhead out of scratch? That's pretty damn cool. It's like he had this delicious belgian waffle, and he ruined it by overloading it with syrup and powdered sugar and rotten strawberries from the bottom of the same basket thathad been drawn from by scores of authors before him.

/rant
Solipsist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 12:23   Link #305
mangasuki

i can't think of a end without that,so I like the end.even if it's not unusually.
at least I wouldn't make a complaint about the end.

some not solved quest is a fun to speculate on why.

a story is greate,the end is so-so.
it's a usually manga-style.

-sorry,my poor english.

Last edited by mangasuki; 2006-08-19 at 09:11.
mangasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-18, 15:18   Link #306
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

It still brings a tear to my eye that the lovely Shiina was so completely destroyed by the end of the series. At least she got some form of revenge though......
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 08:05   Link #307
petran79
out of touch with anime

since I didnt know any Japanese and the US and French publishers ceased any further publishing, I bought the very good German edition by Egmond Manga (vol 7-12, I'm no German btw) and read the first volumes by Dark Horse scanlated, though i had also the Japanese raw manga to draw comparisons with Dark Horse version.
German edition had adult rating, unlike Dark Horse.

This is one of the best mangas I've read. The design especially and the characters were appealing, considering I dont like manga designs that much in the majority of the titles.

The story was one of the most addicting ever and it is a pity that Dark Horse ceased the manga leaving many impatient readers with the agony what will occur next.

As for the adult content of the manga, I wonder what makes this title different from other adult titles and there was this fuss. While more violent titles like Berserk, Hellsing and Blade of the Immortal didnt meet many problems abroad. As if Narutaru were as violent as Ichi the Killer manga

From the mangas I've read so far (not that much, around 100) this is top of my list along with Bokurano.

As for the ending, it was obvious that no happy ending would occur from the start already.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-02, 08:19   Link #308
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petran79
As for the adult content of the manga, I wonder what makes this title different from other adult titles and there was this fuss. While more violent titles like Berserk, Hellsing and Blade of the Immortal didnt meet many problems abroad. As if Narutaru were as violent as Ichi the Killer manga

From the mangas I've read so far (not that much, around 100) this is top of my list along with Bokurano.

As for the ending, it was obvious that no happy ending would occur from the start already.
It's a somewhat complicated story about Dark Horse's initial attempts at making manga fit into the american comic standards. Basically, Berserk and friends were published as MANGA, whereas Shadowstar and the other original Dark Horse licenses were tried to be published as comics, which has some pretty strict standards. If it makes you feel any better, Dark Horse lost a lot of money (and a golden opportunity) from that marketing decision, but the casaulty is manga like Narutaru.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-03, 10:45   Link #309
petran79
out of touch with anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
It's a somewhat complicated story about Dark Horse's initial attempts at making manga fit into the american comic standards. Basically, Berserk and friends were published as MANGA, whereas Shadowstar and the other original Dark Horse licenses were tried to be published as comics, which has some pretty strict standards. If it makes you feel any better, Dark Horse lost a lot of money (and a golden opportunity) from that marketing decision, but the casaulty is manga like Narutaru.
thanks for the info.

That explains it well. Not only Dark Horse but also the French publisher stopped the project at an even earlier stage,, though I thought France was more liberal concerning such topics, since they are a paradise for mangas and comics.

As for Dark Horse, publishing mangas as comics is the silliest thing to do. Is it so difficult to read the pages backwards?
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 06:09   Link #310
Lawfer

No hope for NaruTaru EVER??!

I have been on this manga's back since 2000-2001, I first picked up the first 2 volumes in french released by Glenat but as usual those genius decided to stop publishing it like they did with so many series. Not so much out of luck Dark Horse decided to pick it up and butcher it by some mindless censors and releasing the chapters in some stupid format (for example, Volume 5 in the US is really Volume 3 in Japan in orginal format) before abruptly stopping at Volume 7.

Iscariot did translate the book to french, but again because of the genius at Glenat still holding the rights and at the same time refusing to release more then Volume 1 and 2. Iscariot can't scanlate it properly, so far they just released the texts.

I tried to read Bokurano but meh, it just can't beat NaruTaru. So what the hell can be done??! I know it has been released in germany and censored, but I can't read german!!!
Lawfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 07:00   Link #311
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfer View Post
I have been on this manga's back since 2000-2001, I first picked up the first 2 volumes in french released by Glenat but as usual those genius decided to stop publishing it like they did with so many series. Not so much out of luck Dark Horse decided to pick it up and butcher it by some mindless censors and releasing the chapters in some stupid format (for example, Volume 5 in the US is really Volume 3 in Japan in orginal format) before abruptly stopping at Volume 7.

Iscariot did translate the book to french, but again because of the genius at Glenat still holding the rights and at the same time refusing to release more then Volume 1 and 2. Iscariot can't scanlate it properly, so far they just released the texts.

I tried to read Bokurano but meh, it just can't beat NaruTaru. So what the hell can be done??! I know it has been released in germany and censored, but I can't read german!!!
In a few months I think I'll be translating it. Be patient.

I've waited long enough for DH. Might as well finish what I started long, long ago.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-16, 13:58   Link #312
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
In a few months I think I'll be translating it. Be patient.
Actually, a project is already underway. I've got about half of the first chapter of volume eight done, and a whole scanlation group has been formed around the project. PM me if you want details.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-16, 15:39   Link #313
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Actually, a project is already underway. I've got about half of the first chapter of volume eight done, and a whole scanlation group has been formed around the project. PM me if you want details.
Um, weird, there is another scanlation project under way too .

Well, less work for me then!
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-16, 20:38   Link #314
Lawfer

Quote:
I've waited long enough for DH. Might as well finish what I started long, long ago.
DH? Was ist das?

Quote:
Nice, I feel releaved! Thanks for the info
Old 2007-05-16, 20:41   Link #315
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
DH? Was ist das?
Dark Horse. And why are you speaking German? I thought you said you don't speak german...
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-16, 21:30   Link #316
Lawfer

Quote:
Dark Horse. And why are you speaking German? I thought you said you don't speak german...
Yeah I actually really don't, just know a couple words here and there. Oh and did Dark Horse give any kind of info on why they stopped publishing it?
Old 2007-05-16, 22:14   Link #317
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Oh and did Dark Horse give any kind of info on why they stopped publishing it?
Content and sales.
Which means that it is 99.9% certain they will never do anything more with the license than they have already done.
If I thought it was in the most remote corner of Possible Land that it might happen, I wouldn't waste my time or take the risk of doing it.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-17, 03:56   Link #318
Lawfer

Quote:
If I thought it was in the most remote corner of Possible Land that it might happen, I wouldn't waste my time or take the risk of doing it.
I personally think Dark Horse did a pitifull job at bringing NaruTaru in the US, that'd be changing the manga to a comic format or the various censors or even not so great translation.

I'd rather have someone scanlate it so that why I'd buy the japanese release rather then spending my money on the butcher work's of DH.
Old 2007-05-18, 05:58   Link #319
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

People interested in Volume 7 (Japanese), i.e. volume 8 english and scanlations should check out this livejournal community:

http://community.livejournal.com/narutaru/

You might find some interesting stuff there.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2007-05-19, 00:00   Link #320
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Okay, I'm not too sure anyone cares, but I've posted scans of all the unpublished english chapters of Narutaru that appeared in Super Manga Blast to the livejournal above (there's a torrent out there I made on datorrents, too).

I've also translated another 40 pages of volume 9 immediately following where SMB left off. See the link to the livejournal community above for that, as I don't think I'm allowed to post it here directly given that the manga is technically still licensed, I think.
Sam Pinansky