AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-09-29, 00:32   Link #1
Kudryavka

Ipod Corrupted and Locked

My iPod Classic (120 GB) is corrupted, and I can't reformat it because it won't let me modify it. When I plug it into the computer, the computer slows down and iTunes refuses to start or freezes if already running; everything is back to normal when I remove the iPod. If I tr to manually format in My Computer, Windows Explorer freezes and I have to force end the program. I've updated the USB ports, used different connection cords, tried to format on a different computer, toggled the hold switch, and connected in Hard Disk mode (both the regular and the override one). I'm trying to format it, but on my computer it always freezes when I get close to modifying it. On the other computer I tried my iPod with, when I tried reformatting it, it specifically said "This medium is write protected and may not be modified". WTF? Since when do iPods write protect themselves? Need help please.

And btw I've never modified my iPod, it's completely virgin and does only the same functions it came out of the factory doing. Which makes my problem even worse, because this isn't directly my fault, and I'm no longer covered for warranty. I may try to argue with Apple to replace it for free because their product stopped working of its own accord, not because I did something to it.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 03:02   Link #2
Ending

You could create a bootable USB-stick with formatting tools. Many programs can interfere with how Windows works, whereas dedicated formatting tools do not have this problem.

Dunno about iPods, but are you sure they don't have some kind of a write-protection switch in some corner...?

If the warranty is out, then you're responsible of the product yourself. Apple isn't going to give you freebies.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-29, 21:53   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Use the restore tool in iTunes.

The fact that it's connecting as a UMS device is troubling. Normally you shouldn't even see the iPod listed as removable storage.