AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-04-07, 15:31   Link #101
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
What is it?

Unneccassary reactions when eating (sweets).

Worst offenders?

There is a LOT. Not even my favorite anime Macross Frontier is safe from this.

What makes it popular?

I'm putting my money on the cute factor. As this trope usually falls on female characters. Their facial expressions/reactions = Kyaaa!! = $$$$$

Reason for the hate?

I'm a girl who loves delicious food...especially when it's sweets. I don't know, I just find the whole 'cupping-cheeks-and closing-eyes-while-going-mmmmmmnnnn!!!' frankly stupid. Hell, not even children do that. Not even the girliest of girl friends I have do that.

Is the hate worth it?

Well, it's just a personal peeve of mine. So it could just be me.
I loved reading that and it is totally true.
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 21:31   Link #102
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
What is it?

Obligatory Shonen Upgrade and pwoerups

Worst offenders?

Bleach and Dragonball Z

What makes it popular?

Lets take at DBZ alone, go to any forum or Youtube video that concerns DBZ. You will hear discusions on powerlevels and arguments on who is stronger than who. Its popular because we want the hero to succeed, he has to train in order to learn a new move and sometimes it takes several chapters. It gets really annoying when the hero gets a new upgrade that proves useless in later seasons.

Exception

Keiichi never grows crazy powerful to desteoy planets but atleast its reasonable.

Reason for the hate

I don't hate it but it just gets irrtating to see the heroes get all these crazy upgrades and not being able to scratch the enxt badguy.

Is the hate worth it?

I don't hate it but it gets annoying afterewhile.
Old 2011-04-08, 00:41   Link #103
User68604
Disabled By Request

What is it?

Guy A and Girl A "trip or fall" onto each other and land in obviously sexual position.

Worst offenders?

EVERY romcom or romance ever made...

What makes it popular?

Because its fan-servicey...and because writers think it will progress their relationship by some means by putting them in physical contact.

Reason for the hate?

So overdone, so unrealistic, and makes me facepalm every time

Is the hate worth it?
Absolutely, there are so many more original ways to progress things...
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 01:36   Link #104
Progbuusters

What is it?: Whiney bitch Luke Skywalker Anti-heroes (male)

Worst offenders: Hibiki from Vandread, Simon for Gurren Lagaan, granted he was the understudy of the extreme opposite, super heroic Kamina. Luke Skywalker. Frodo

Notable exceptions: still thinking about it

Variants: girls who are weak but grow into their heroic roles. like the main girl in Blood+. Saya Otonashi

What makes it popular: its a device, people tire of macho masculine men

Reason that I hated it: you got people depending on you, you have girls yearning for you but you still have to go in a hissy fit before you grow a pair. c'mon!!!

Last edited by Progbuusters; 2011-04-08 at 01:47.
Progbuusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 11:31   Link #105
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by recover View Post
What is it?

Guy A and Girl A "trip or fall" onto each other and land in obviously sexual position.

Worst offenders?

What makes it popular?

Because its fan-servicey...and because writers think it will progress their relationship by some means by putting them in physical contact.

Reason for the hate?

Is the hate worth it?
I'm guilty of loving this trope.... but I think it's better when they accidentally hug instead.
But if this trope is used more than once per series, it definitely gets a face palm.
Old 2011-04-08, 19:16   Link #106
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
What is it?

Worst offenders?

What makes it popular?

Reason for the hate?

Is the hate worth it?
There was this comedy manga where guy A doesn’t just trip and fall on girl A.
No-No, he trips and falls and takes away her virginity, yes all in one fall.

(nope, not a Hentai manga)
Old 2011-04-08, 20:59   Link #107
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
There was this comedy manga where guy A doesn’t just trip and fall on girl A.
No-No, he trips and falls and takes away her virginity, yes all in one fall.

(nope, not a Hentai manga)
o.o....... Just tripping and falling now?? I can't see it possible unless I read this manga myself!!
Old 2011-04-17, 22:32   Link #108
User68604
Disabled By Request

Quote:
What is it?

Character A gets a fever/cold and it's as if they are dying.

Worst offenders?

Too many animes to count...

What makes it popular?

Because it promotes "character/plot development" by making another character miss them or something...

Reason for the hate?

Is the hate worth it?
Maybe, maybe not...but it really is sort of ridiculous how often animes utilize this plot device. Do Japanese people have the weakest immunity systems ever?
post asdfasdf
User68604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 04:41   Link #109
Ending

What is it?
The super-shy syndrome, which seems to affect both male and female characters equally. Usual symptoms include excessive embarrassment, total stagnation of romance, and gradual progress towards gayness.

Worst offenders?
Every romance/harem anime there is.

What makes it popular?
It's fun if you watch anime only occasionally and it's an easy way to prolong any relationship indefinitely.

Reason for the hate?
After the Nth time, it gets plain old and predictable. Usually it's also pitiful.

Is the hate worth it?
Definitely. It's a sign of a bad anime and the authors need to come up with something a little bit more original.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 16:25   Link #110
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Anime cliche, like movie ones can be awesome or annoying, depend on people who watched them. Some are awesome that worth to be seen many times. Some are jusk "OK" and only good to be seen for first few times and will get annoying after that. Some are so annoying just for the first time.
What is it?: ONE Idiot male and a harem of chicks who like 'em

Worst offenders: Manaka (Ichigo 100%) and plenty more like this.

Notable exceptions: Kentaro Oe (Goldenboy). This guy is a REAL man. He may give an idiot's first impression; but in the end, he comes out a genius after each scenario.

Variants: None. Reverse harem? Don't even go there.

What makes it popular: Tickling every awkward man's fantasy. It's the idea of being an awkward man and still have the luxury of being surrounded by... hot chicks.

Reason that I hated it: For many series, this cliche need not be the focus. Heck, they could be good if they focus on other parts of its story. But no...

The dumbest of the dumb angers me. This is worse if the girls around the male are just as dumb and annoying. Yet, the antics surrounding them can still be entertaining. As for the more genius characters of this genre, I applaud them.

Yet, for the love of God, pick one already.

Does the hate really worth it?: Yea. Sure. Plenty of characters who deserve a good punch in the face. But guess what? I keep watching these things in the hopes of seeing genius one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
What is it?
The super-shy syndrome, which seems to affect both male and female characters equally. Usual symptoms include excessive embarrassment, total stagnation of romance, and gradual progress towards gayness.
When I started watching Freezing, I thought: "oh cool, y'have Satellizer here who's a total badass and quite cold when it comes to battle". Then pansyboy comes in and ruins all that, where she displays that meek shy side.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 16:55   Link #111
InfiniteDistance

I'm sure these have been posted before, but hey..

The transfer student introducing themselves. Most recently reminded of this by Hidan no Aria..

The girl making food for her love interest and claiming she sucks at is. Possibly also happened in Hidan no Aria? But millions of shows really..it's hard to keep a lot of these shows apart

A character muttering something under their breath (usually romance related), and the other (oblivious) character going "Huh, what was that?". Most recently saw this in the latest
Spoiler:
episode (possible important spoiler..? Just to be on the safe side).

Male leads that lack character and/or willpower. Basically any harem type anime. Then some guys like Kujo (Gosick), the main character in Summer Wars, School days, and so on. This is probably one that annoys me most. I just like characters that are balanced, not so much a onesided caricature.
Old 2011-04-19, 01:49   Link #112
Ending

Spoiler for Yet, for the love of God, pick one already.:
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 07:15   Link #113
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
o.o....... Just tripping and falling now?? I can't see it possible unless I read this manga myself!!
I'm guessing his finger must've slipped. XD
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 10:25   Link #114
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteDistance View Post
Male leads that lack character and/or willpower. Basically any harem type anime. Then some guys like Kujo (Gosick), the main character in Summer Wars, School days, and so on. This is probably one that annoys me most. I just like characters that are balanced, not so much a onesided caricature.
Me too. I really hate those one note characters with almost no personality unless its a video game. It is just beoming a cliche where the main lead starts like a loser then becomes a badass later on. Sadly, the other extreme isn't much better and it can be just as jarring. Ranma 1/2 may not be a harem anime, he often grates as to how he stays nearly the same in every chapter. Touma is ridiculously one dimensional, Ichika is pretty much an idiot, Shirou means well but is clueless, etc. I don't like onedimensional characters anyway. There needs to be a balance.
Old 2011-04-19, 23:44   Link #115
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post

Which leads to another cliché I hate: harem anime where the "hero" has only one real option. I mean, what's the point of having several pretty women around you if you are going to pick just one? Imagine having two gals hanging to your balls and then saying "Sorry, pals, but one of you gotta go."

Be it a gal or a ball.
Please tell me you're joking. Of COURSE the guy should pick only one girl!! If he picks two, the rest of society refers to that as "TWO-TIMING."

Marriage is between two people. Not two dozen.
Old 2011-04-20, 02:02   Link #116
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

One girl, harem, threesome (nice option in anime where two rival girls become friends, such as Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu or Tayutama) - I don't care.

But choose a conclusive ending. Don't build up one couple, then suddenly act like the other girls still have a chance and have them cockblock the winner.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 03:40   Link #117
Owata

I think I'm starting to get a little tired of the obligatory "beach episode" that's prevalent in most anime. Yes, anime girls do look cute/sexy when they're in their swimsuits and bikinis - the camera panning and zoom-ins no doubt emphasize that.

However, this setting is used in almost every anime, from fanservice shows to even Keroro Gunsou. It's gotten to the point where you start to wonder, "Hmm. When's the beach episode for this show gonna come on? The characters live just a few miles away from one..."

Not that I'm against fanservice, but the beach situations are just simply done to death in anime.
Owata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 12:22   Link #118
Chiibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
But choose a conclusive ending. Don't build up one couple, then suddenly act like the other girls still have a chance and have them cockblock the winner.
100% agree with that. It's totally unfair to both the couple and the viewer rooting for them.
Old 2011-04-20, 17:57   Link #119
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Another shoujo cliche that I hate. You have been warned.

What it is?: The lead girl have tendency to pick cold-hearted guy who openly hates her than nicer ones who openly accepted her.

Worst offenders: Almost every popular shoujo titles had this. Hell, even Yumeiro Patissire(which I loved) is not safe from it.

Notable exceptions: None. I hate all those cold-hearted guys with passion.

What makes it popular: Girls always find cold-hearted, rebellious and just downright bad guys as more interesting partners while nicer ones are boring and too orthodox. In fact most shoujo anime and manga revolves on how the girl to get along with the cold-hearted guy.

Reason that I hated it: It just annoying to see how stupid the lead girl try to obtain something she will never have while she had easier(and much better) alternative right front of her. As example in Yumeiro Patissire the lead girl often ignores the nicer green-haired boy in order to get close with the cold-hearted blonde haired boy, though it can be explained that she already know that green-haired boy is already her friend and so she try to make friend with blonde-haired one.

Does the hate really worth it?: Actually no. Hating it alone wont solve the problem. Maybe the better solution is try to convince shoujo authors to abandon this concept and make a new one.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 18:05   Link #120
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
What it is?: The lead girl have tendency to pick cold-hearted guy who openly hates her than nicer ones who openly accepted her.

Worst offenders: Almost every popular shoujo titles had this. Hell, even Yumeiro Patissire(which I loved) is not safe from it.
You mean tsundere? I'm pretty sure that at least Kashino is one.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disscusion, manga cliche good bad