AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-06-11, 17:16   Link #201
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
^ First Homura's leg, now Mami's... Ne, Urobuchi-san?!!!
Old 2011-06-12, 18:45   Link #202
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Spoiler for Volume 2 preview:

@Snork
Spoiler for Volume 2 preview:

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2011-06-12 at 18:59.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 01:03   Link #203
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Read raws sees ending: Holy shitttt dude!!!!
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 01:50   Link #204
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

^ I just read it too, and holy fuck that "scene" came in the LAST SECOND. I'm not gonna lie that I feel a bit mad at this ending (not that I think its bad), even though I knew it was gonna happen without a doubt...
Old 2011-06-15, 05:55   Link #205
Snork
Twilight lander

Curiosity got the better of me so I went straight to TVtropes.
WTQB... This timeline's results make Murphy turn over in his grave. Well done, Urobutcher-san, this is far from what I pictured the ending as.
Now, to wait for the translation and figure out Oriko's motivation at last.
Old 2011-06-15, 15:49   Link #206
xizro345
King's Justice

I think in the end Oriko is disappointing, IMO. Too fast, and I don't like that:

Spoiler for Oriko spoilers:

I didn't have time to sit and read it properly yet, but still that bugged me.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 16:24   Link #207
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I think in the end Oriko is disappointing, IMO. Too fast, and I don't like that:

Spoiler for Oriko spoilers:

I didn't have time to sit and read it properly yet, but still that bugged me.
Although it didn't bother me that much, I agree that the ending still happened a bit too fast, even though it was expected. A Diabolus Ex Machina ending indeed.

I can't say for Oriko or Kirika, but I've seen some speculation saying that the reason Yuma doesn't seem to appear in the other timelines is because when she and her family are attacked by a witch, she may have not survived, or Kyouko doesn't meet her in the first place.

There's also the question that we don't exactly know the number of times Homura has repeated the loop. For all we know, something similar could have happened in many other timelines.

Also, maybe in other timelines, there's a possibility Oriko and Kirika never contracted in the first place. In Timeline 1 and 2, Sayaka never contracted, so there's a little merit to this.

I'm also guessing Oriko, Kirika, and Yuma possibility might have been proposed originally to be included in the anime, but because of various reasons, they can't, but then Magica Quartet decided to still use them in a spin-off that is still related to the anime.
Old 2011-06-15, 16:59   Link #208
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I always thought that the two spin-offs existed because they added more information about the series in general but up till they have just been repeating what was said already. I guess i was expecting too much or rather expecting something from a completely different direction.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-15, 21:18   Link #209
Used Can

I think saying there were several MGs in town wasn't a good idea. This brings many questions like, why are they not around when Walpurgisnacht shows up? If there are as many as there seems to be, why doesn't Homura recruit more? I mean, although it's clearly not easy, that was the only logical way to try to bring down that witch.

Moreover, Yuma's apparent importance was well... disappointing. While is really liked how she fleshed Kyouko much more and she was rather cute herself; in the end, she barely did anything. Oriko and Kirika were really good characters, but with 2 volumes, the plot was far too rushed and there was barely any time to flesh them out.

I think this manga should have been 5 volumes long, at the very least. All of them would have sold a lot since, after all, it'd have been part of the Puella Magi series.
Old 2011-06-16, 11:25   Link #210
Shadow5YA

There are plenty of ways to prevent Oriko and Kirika from coming back into the spotlight. Homura can keep Kyubey busy, or she can go deal with Oriko personally by warning her, threatening her, or actually killing her. I'm sure that after what Oriko did to Madoka, Homura wouldn't forget her on her next try.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 14:15   Link #211
xizro345
King's Justice

Still, I think it's totally unsatisfactory.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 15:35   Link #212
ChronoReverse

They should have an epilogue chapter in the next timeline with Oriko just about to contract with QB when ZA WORLDO and a single bullet puts her down.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 18:34   Link #213
kaigan
Segmentation fault

well, all i can say is, this is war of yuri couples. and love is INFINITE in the finite world of homu-chan. another tragic end.
kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-16, 19:16   Link #214
Ace Of Scarabs
Mechanoid Pilot

I would not have minded a glimpse at WPN being fought by Mami, Kyouko and Yuma.
Old 2011-06-17, 11:07   Link #215
Snork
Twilight lander

^they seem to have good odds, too. Two combat veterans + a capable cleric (+ my lasting suspicion that WN may be only vulnerable to magic attacks, unlike other witches).
I have yet to read the whole thing, but I agree two volumes were too short from the start. I understand that Aniplex might have been unsure of the project's success back then, so they didn't invest in long-running spin-offs... but come on, KAZUMI promises to be longer, for God's sake, and it has completely different cast!
Then again, now that Madoka is so popular... If the producers don't decide to milk the franchise, then they can hardly be called producers. What would we hope for?
- more possible mangas
- a movie/OVA adaptation, showcasing the full version of ep 10 (btw, Oriko proves there were more than four timelines).
- more drama CDs (after Sunny Day Life, I expect one more to go with BD Vol 5). I'd really like Mami and Kyouko's past to get more spotlight (tearjerking as it may WILL be).
- more... music? If Yuki Kajiura is not too busy with other projects at the time, why not ask her to write some themes based on Oriko Magica events (or other off-screen events), or a character song or two (she wrote a character song for Gundam Seed Destiny, so why not). Why should only shows like Lucky Star and Haruhi Suzumiya get a lot of CDs, when here you have popularity of the franchise AND a brilliant composer to boot?

As to the plot itself, not taking its rushed pace into account - it's about as good as it's capable to cause head-banging. I imagine this timeline alone could triple Homura's bitterness - she succeeds in keeping Kyuubey's paws off Madoka, only for our blissfully ignorant Madoka to be killed... BY A MAGICAL GIRL. Oh f.....
And you know what's the worst? Oriko had a point. From the informed reader's perspective, at least. We've already seen that Homura can't handle WN alone (and I'll bet my four limbs that Kyuubey ALWAYS has something to do with Madoka arriving to the scene, even if she had stayed uninvolved up to that point). But alright, we have Mami and Kyouko surviving, plus Yuma - a serious team, eh? Imagine they defeat WN... Now what? Even if Homura survives the fight, guarding Madoka will not end here, and this mission may well outlive Homura herself. Meanwhile, Kyuubey is ageless and I fail to believe he would EVER give up. Meaning it's most probably a matter of months/years before Gretchen's birth.

Seems like Urobuchi LOVES writing dubious villains. From a general perspective, Kyuubey is a helper to the universe and many civilizations inhabiting it (especially those whose prepubescent females don't have to serve as firewood). From the same perspective, Oriko is a saver of the Earth, a posthumous hero. But.... and after the word "but", one could write megabytes of text at will. We all get the point anyway.
Old 2011-06-17, 12:17   Link #216
Ace Of Scarabs
Mechanoid Pilot

Now I want to see a fanfic where this abandoned timeline just continues on without Homura or Madoka.
Old 2011-06-17, 14:44   Link #217
Dark Wing

I finally got around to reading the raw of volume 2 and that ending omg that ending...
Old 2011-06-17, 15:25   Link #218
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Translations for Chapter 4 are available now for download: http://anonscanlations.blogspot.com/...gica-ch-4.html

Kirika was never as fast as she seemed. She actually used time-slowing magic to give off the illusion that she was fast. And her wish was to "change herself." She was once a shy person, who couldn't approach Oriko after a random act of kindness. So she decided her wish was to change herself, which gave her a new personality.
Old 2011-06-17, 17:03   Link #219
GDB

How does that equate to being able to slow down time? How odd.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-17, 18:04   Link #220
Witched

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
How does that equate to being able to slow down time? How odd.
You're changing the atmosphere, you know~
Changing Yourself -> Slowly Changing?
Witched is offline   Reply With Quote