AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-31, 12:53   Link #21
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
That was, wow, that was really painful to read in a good way. But still angst! I didn't expect angst at this time of day! I'm glad Asuna's there to slap some sense into Setsuna... except it seems she didn't slap sense back to Setsuna hard enough.
Sorry for the surprise angst , but still, you should have expected that from me ....

It's unfortunate that I couldn't quite squeeze in the plot-plot in the prologue, but I chose instead to set up the relationship-plot . I debated making it a one-shot instead, but I don't think that it would give either Konoka or Setsuna justice in explaining their decisions unless I went into a full story as to why they made the decisions that they did....

Thanks for the comments!
Old 2010-03-31, 15:10   Link #22
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
The prologue to an eventual KonoSetsu multi-chapter story...

No matter where Konoka went, Setsuna would always be her guardian...after all, duty always won over love. Even if that duty meant marrying into a family to protect the world's wards against destruction and watching the one you love give herself to another.

Love and Duty Come in Chains

Spoiler for Love and Duty Come in Chains, prologue:
... Ouch.

So you finally posted this, huh? It looks great. I knew you had some big plans for it, so I'm glad to see you got it started and off the ground. And what a start it is! Angst! Konoka in a marriage of convinience! Asuna furious! Setsuna emotionless! And it's just the prologue!

I look forward to the next chapter.
Old 2010-03-31, 16:51   Link #23
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin Ansem View Post
Out of curiosity, explain "serious case of stupids". I only have an inkling of what it might be, but...
Besides how story started? Putting all boys in class with girls is one good example - and author didn't even try to why they were not put in Mahora Jr.High BOYS school that is also present on campus, like Mahora Elementary where Kotaro ended in and whole other bunch of schools. I could provide other examples but I need to re-read fic for that and I simply don't want to do it...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
Old 2010-03-31, 20:32   Link #24
Merctrin
Immi

Quote:
The prologue to an eventual KonoSetsu multi-chapter story...

No matter where Konoka went, Setsuna would always be her guardian...after all, duty always won over love. Even if that duty meant marrying into a family to protect the world's wards against destruction and watching the one you love give herself to another.

I'll second that ouch. I mean, that's just painful.

As a general rule, I try to avoid stories where Setsuna holds on too hard to her duty and fear to keep Konoka from ending up married to someone else because really, there's no way to ease in gently to that. Pure angst straight away. But I'm also addicted to this kind of frustrating conflict, so I'll be waiting for the next chapter with bated breath, and much thanks for the prologue!
Old 2010-04-01, 01:35   Link #25
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
... Ouch.

So you finally posted this, huh? It looks great. I knew you had some big plans for it, so I'm glad to see you got it started and off the ground. And what a start it is! Angst! Konoka in a marriage of convinience! Asuna furious! Setsuna emotionless! And it's just the prologue!

I look forward to the next chapter.
Thanks . I debated opening with more plot, but I had most of this done up already and it just seemed to work for me, so I decided to introduce the set-up of the characters first and only slide in hints about the plot in the prologue.

Of course, it will all get worse before it gets better....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merctrin View Post
I'll second that ouch. I mean, that's just painful.

As a general rule, I try to avoid stories where Setsuna holds on too hard to her duty and fear to keep Konoka from ending up married to someone else because really, there's no way to ease in gently to that. Pure angst straight away. But I'm also addicted to this kind of frustrating conflict, so I'll be waiting for the next chapter with bated breath, and much thanks for the prologue!
I'll be struggling to balance the angst with the character development , but I always wanted to read a story where Setsuna and Konoka struggle with being so close to each other, still love each other, yet they can't be together, for legitimate and mature reasons....and since I had a hard time finding fics that matched this curiosity, I started thinking up of one myself and soon I had a plot bunny!

Very glad that you took a chance on this, and that you like it! ^^
Old 2010-04-01, 13:26   Link #26
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Of course, it will all get worse before it gets better....
Liar! You always say that!
Old 2010-04-02, 15:22   Link #27
Merctrin
Immi

A Tsukuyomi/Setsuna story that takes place in the same continuity as this one. ...That kind of makes it a prequel, so reading it would be a good idea. It doesn't matter much for this first part, though, so feel free to ignore if you aren't interested.

This is just the prologue, and there will be multiple chapters assuming I ever get around to finishing it. It takes place shortly after the current arc, and I'm pretty sure that some future chapter will prove that it's AU, but for now I will happily embrace my delusion that something like this could possibly happen.

Spoiler for Taken Day by Day:

Spoiler for Notes:

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Merctrin; 2010-04-03 at 21:56.
Old 2010-04-03, 20:19   Link #28
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Liar! You always say that!
But it always does!

Quote:
A Tsukuyomi/Setsuna story that takes place in the same continuity as this one. ...That kind of makes it a prequel, so reading it would be a good idea. It doesn't matter much for this first part, though, so feel free to ignore if you aren't interested.

This is just the prologue, and there will be multiple chapters assuming I ever get around to finishing it. It takes place shortly after the current arc, and I'm pretty sure that some future chapter will prove that it's AU, but for now I will happily embrace my delusion that something like this could possibly happen.

Spoiler for Notes:

Thanks for reading!
Oooh, I love psycho characters , they're so fun to read about....as readers, we automatically assume the worst of them, so every tossaway statement is jumped upon and viewed as something ominous..."She did tend to prefer what the flesh of women had to offer"...."That apparently counted for a lot"....

I'm a KonoSetsu fan, but I still enjoyed Tsukuyomi's oddly logical fascination for Setsuna depicted here, as much as her twisted love also made sense to me for a moment (a moment which I quickly scrubbed out of my mind )....

Great depiction of Tsukuyomi, I enjoyed it! ^^
Old 2010-04-05, 22:48   Link #29
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Ah, a few details first that I didn't mention before...this story takes place when Konoka, Setsuna and the gang are 21, and follows mostly the manga canon, although parts of the magical world arc may be ignored .

Here's the prologue again, and Chapter 1!

Spoiler for Chapter 1:
Old 2010-04-05, 23:15   Link #30
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Ah, a few details first that I didn't mention before...this story takes place when Konoka, Setsuna and the gang are 21, and follows mostly the manga canon, although parts of the magical world arc may be ignored .

Spoiler for Chapter 1:
I really like the first chapter, especially after the angst of the prologue... its not that this didn't have some pain but its like there is some easing of it and I like how you added in the talk between Asuna and Konoka showing their friendship and sometimes you need a friend like Asuna, someone who's willing to talk with you without pressure but still willing to talk some sense to you or, if you can take it, shake it into your stubborn head.

Mana was also a bonus, anytime there's a Mana I celebrate, she is such an awesome no nonsense character. All the drama is just white noise to her, she has a job to do and she'll do it really well.
Old 2010-04-06, 02:27   Link #31
Merctrin
Immi

Quote:

Spoiler for Chapter 1:
Somehow, I'm relieved that Konoka still calls Setsuna, Set-chan, even if it's just in her head and when she's not talking directly to Setsuna. In the prologue it seemed sort of obvious that she was still getting used to not using the nickname, and all sorts of horrible reasons for that popped into my head, and... Ahem, yeah. It just seems wrong for Konoka to call her Setsuna-san.

Also yay, Asuna and Mana! Comforting to know that even if Setsuna is being distant, Konoka's not without friends. ...And I like the idea of Mana looking after Setsuna. Someone has to.

Curious about why Ethan hates Setsuna and I'm kinda wanting to see Kyo now, just to get a better idea of what his relationship with Konoka is really like. Thankfully he seems nice enough.

What fun this is. And a speedy update, too. That's always nice.

Now to sit back and wait impatiently for the next chapter.
Old 2010-04-06, 09:23   Link #32
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:

Spoiler for Notes:

Thanks for reading!

Did.... did you just make me feel sorry for Tsukuyomi? Did you just make me start to understand how her mind works, at least a little bit, in regards to Setsuna?

Holy hell, you did. That is awesome!

More please?

Quote:

Spoiler for Chapter 1:
Oh, boy.

Nice to see you worked in some of the concepts we discussed last night, though I still say you need to give the guy more characterization so it isn't a completely one-sided love triangle. On top of that, though, I loved this; Mana and Asuna were awesome to see, Asuna and Konoka playing Mario Kart was hilarious, and the last three lines just ache.
Old 2010-04-06, 14:29   Link #33
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by isagrimorie View Post
I really like the first chapter, especially after the angst of the prologue... its not that this didn't have some pain but its like there is some easing of it and I like how you added in the talk between Asuna and Konoka showing their friendship and sometimes you need a friend like Asuna, someone who's willing to talk with you without pressure but still willing to talk some sense to you or, if you can take it, shake it into your stubborn head.

Mana was also a bonus, anytime there's a Mana I celebrate, she is such an awesome no nonsense character. All the drama is just white noise to her, she has a job to do and she'll do it really well.
Yeah, I don't think that I could sustain the angst of the prologue for many chapters! I tried to cram a bunch of plot-related stuff in the first chapter, but I had to do some world-creating as well, so hopefully more will be answered in Chapter 2 .

Mana is awesome . Does her stuff, punches in her clock, and asks for overtime pay if she's been asked to work overtime ...

Quote:
Somehow, I'm relieved that Konoka still calls Setsuna, Set-chan, even if it's just in her head and when she's not talking directly to Setsuna. In the prologue it seemed sort of obvious that she was still getting used to not using the nickname, and all sorts of horrible reasons for that popped into my head, and... Ahem, yeah. It just seems wrong for Konoka to call her Setsuna-san.

Also yay, Asuna and Mana! Comforting to know that even if Setsuna is being distant, Konoka's not without friends. ...And I like the idea of Mana looking after Setsuna. Someone has to.

Curious about why Ethan hates Setsuna and I'm kinda wanting to see Kyo now, just to get a better idea of what his relationship with Konoka is really like. Thankfully he seems nice enough.

What fun this is. And a speedy update, too. That's always nice.

Now to sit back and wait impatiently for the next chapter.
It was so weird to write Konoka saying "Setsuna-san" , I actually had trouble typing it down since I kept cutting myself off after the "t" .

My original concept didn't include Asuna, but the thought of poor Konoka on her own had me add Asuna to the story . Hopefully I can capture Mana and Setsuna's odd friendship/working dynamic in later chapters!

Wow, one week is speedy?

Quote:
Oh, boy.

Nice to see you worked in some of the concepts we discussed last night, though I still say you need to give the guy more characterization so it isn't a completely one-sided love triangle. On top of that, though, I loved this; Mana and Asuna were awesome to see, Asuna and Konoka playing Mario Kart was hilarious, and the last three lines just ache.
Well, you should have expected it ....

Yeah, I'll definitely go in Kyo more, but he's not that important at this point in the story, which is still getting all the background mess off the ground...this means I'll actually have to create a personality for the man!

Asuna and Konoka playing Mario Kart was the only idea I had for this chapter , and I wanted them to have a serious conversation while doing something so random . Poor Konoka won't get many chances to relax once the story kicks off...

Thanks to all of you for reading! ^^
Old 2010-04-06, 23:44   Link #34
isagrimorie

Quote:

Spoiler for Notes:

Thanks for reading!
I started reading your Tsukuyomi story out of curiosity and was surprised by how much I'm intrigued by it. Your Tskukyomi is just a right mix of crazy... and crazier (if that makes sense!). Tsukuyomi is not a nice person and probably a far more disturbing sort of evil than Eva-- then again, we're not really shown that side of Eva since she's supposedly grown out of thirsting for blood.

I'm really curious how Tsukuyomi will mix with 3/A, I'm sure most of the core Ala Alba are none too happy to be sharing a class room with someone like Tsukuyomi.

Quote:
Asuna and Konoka playing Mario Kart was the only idea I had for this chapter , and I wanted them to have a serious conversation while doing something so random . Poor Konoka won't get many chances to relax once the story kicks off...

Thanks to all of you for reading! ^^
Asuna and Konoka playing Mario Kart was an inspired idea, I really liked it. Its something I can see doing to unwind and/or holding this kind of discussion. Mana taking care of Setsuna in her own way is very much like her. I love how she does things with little to no fanfare.
Old 2010-04-08, 16:29   Link #35
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

WARNING: Spoiler for chapter 277 of the manga...and tragedy warning!

Spoiler for Truth and Dying:

Spoiler for Author's Note:
Old 2010-04-08, 16:50   Link #36
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:

Dammit, I read the warning and still....

Of course, now you realize I'm feeling the urge to do a happy fluff fic in response, right? Right?!

Seriously, Emily/Yue doesn't get enough love.
Old 2010-04-08, 18:52   Link #37
Merctrin
Immi

Quote:

...Emily/Yue.

YAY! This pairing doesn't get anything close to the amount of love it deserves. And that death scene was just begging for a fic, but no one did anything with it, but now there is a fic and there can be much rejoicing!

Needless to say, this was much loved. Angsty of course, but still great. It has me wondering when Emily will get revived in the manga. Reunion scenes are always so much fun.
Old 2010-04-08, 21:14   Link #38
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:

Dammit, I read the warning and still....

Of course, now you realize I'm feeling the urge to do a happy fluff fic in response, right? Right?!

Seriously, Emily/Yue doesn't get enough love.
*pat pat* There there , remember, these are 2D fictional characters!

Hehe, it's awkward of me to say, but if I made you upset, then I did my job right.....

.....DO IT!!!! Happy fluff fic to counter the tragic one....

Quote:
...Emily/Yue.

YAY! This pairing doesn't get anything close to the amount of love it deserves. And that death scene was just begging for a fic, but no one did anything with it, but now there is a fic and there can be much rejoicing!

Needless to say, this was much loved. Angsty of course, but still great. It has me wondering when Emily will get revived in the manga. Reunion scenes are always so much fun.
That death scene was amazing, I had never heard of Emily before and the first scene I read about her was that death scene....and it broke my heart . From that moment, I knew that I was an Emily/Yue fan .... The chapter was so emotional.

I couldn't believe that they'd really kill her off like that....I'm also hoping for a revival! It's actually a minor plot-bunny that's hopping around inside my head....

Glad you guys liked it!

EDIT: I just posted the prologue to Love and Duty Come in Chains on Fanfiction.net ^^.

Last edited by deathcurse; 2010-04-09 at 00:22. Reason: added link
Old 2010-04-09, 02:11   Link #39
isagrimorie

Quote:

Emily!!! I'm really surprised by the lack of Emily and Yue in fandom too. Isn't this the kind of stuff people eat up? Where was the fic, people?

I'm so glad you wrote this and of course the story would grab my still beating heart from my chest and crush it!
Old 2010-04-09, 06:42   Link #40
Random Wanderer

Quote:

Emily...

If Akamatsu doesn't bring her back properly, I swear I'll track him down and kick him in the shins.
Closed Thread