AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-03-03, 13:40   Link #4661
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with the quarterback getting hit or any player getting viciously hit.

The problem plain and simple is players getting non-contract bonuses for big plays and for opposing players getting injured, which can border on the level of malicious intent if someone wants an extra $1,000 that day.
Agreed. Just saw this article highlighting the flags they've drawn in recent seasons. Terrible.
Old 2012-03-03, 17:21   Link #4662
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
But G_T, this isn't irony, it's a happenstance...And I will continue to rag on the Pats...Meticulously using illegal video and illegally filming code-signals of other teams' practices and sidelines to build a dynasty is one of the most egregious penalties in all of sports...One Karma surely hasn't forgotten since the Pats can't win jack without the gameshark...

It pales in comparison to guys in the locker room having unofficial "bounties" on big hits...have any of you played football? In high school we'd get helmet stickers and candy snacks for the best decleaters and hits of the week...Many of my best friends at LSU who played on the football team routinely talked about how big hitters got prizes and used to ride the Golf cart on the practice field for rewards...This is the nature of the Defensive Coaching, and to incentivize players for making violent plays in a violent sport...

In the NFL it's money as opposed to gobstoppers, and I've never seen one Saints player do anything as overwrought as players like Cortland Finnegan and Bernard Pollard do almost every game trying to hurt players...Do I even have to mention James Harrison? Or how about Rodney Harrison's hayday as the king of late hits and filthy play...

You see one Saints player ever do what Dom Suh does? No you don't...

Sure the saints will be penalized because of the twitteriffic age we live in where every incident gets blown up into the size of a smudge on the Hubblescopes' bubble-lens, and i won't deny that Gregg Williams is certainly blowhard enough to talk about something that's basically supposed to be seen as player thing (The 2009 Playoff ramblings he had on this about Warner and Favre probably kickstarted this whole thing) ...

So when the Godell hammer goes down, it won't be because of the act, it'll be because of the twitterriffic cloud the act will spawn...Add to that the current waters of the NFL following the lock-out and impending lawsuits and myriad of other injury based litigation the league is seeing and we'll get a PC PETA-level over-the-top fine or something, but let's pull back into reality before we start suggesting that many players who play defense in the NFL don't try to kill their opponents within the whistle...Saints players certainly aren't as good as doing it as the guys I've mentioned above...Nor (which is even funnier) do they seem to have any of the visual evidence the leagues more brazen offenders put on tape every week)...But perhaps Bill Belichick's tapeguy is waiting to reveal that bit of evidence that shames the Saints out of their shot at a dynasty...
If it's happenstance stop whining about the Patriots. Don't be a hypocritical baby and on the other hand rationalize what this is. If you're going out of your way to lay on big hits and potentially injure people I don't see how you can perform the magical mental maneuvering to think that's better than taping hand signals. Really what planet do you live on.

IMO I just don't rag on teams for shit like this either way, just watch the game and stop trying to add all these dramatic outside elements. It isn't a soap opera, it's football. I'm sure every team does some nasty shit behind the scenes so we shouldn't be so surprised when it comes out. I take it as a given and just get my entertainment from the games.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-03, 18:29   Link #4663
Drob_QB7
AYE SIR!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations...-franchise-tag

Brees gets franchised. Guessing that means either Nicks or Colston is gone this offseason.
Drob_QB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 02:18   Link #4664
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Looks like Williams is utterly screwed. Significant reports are coming out he ran the same scheme in Buffalo and Washington as well as New Orleans. Tennessee and Jacksonville haven't been implicated yet.
Old 2012-03-04, 05:16   Link #4665
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drob_QB7 View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations...-franchise-tag

Brees gets franchised. Guessing that means either Nicks or Colston is gone this offseason.
I'm wondering if Brees decides to hold out before training camp in hopes of getting a deal done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
If it's happenstance stop whining about the Patriots. Don't be a hypocritical baby and on the other hand rationalize what this is. If you're going out of your way to lay on big hits and potentially injure people I don't see how you can perform the magical mental maneuvering to think that's better than taping hand signals. Really what planet do you live on.
Yeah, you can't really whine about the Patriots and then present a long court case paragraph to try and rationalize bounty hunting by your team. I don't see cheating being any worse (if even worse) than taking non-contract bonus incentives to intentionally injure opposing players. People actually go to jail for that.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-04, 18:19   Link #4666
solomon

Quote:

IMO I just don't rag on teams for shit like this either way, just watch the game and stop trying to add all these dramatic outside elements. It isn't a soap opera, it's football. I'm sure every team does some nasty shit behind the scenes so we shouldn't be so surprised when it comes out. I take it as a given and just get my entertainment from the games.
Quoted for truth, seriously, It's as bad as our ladies going crazy about who screwed who reports from E! or something.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 02:46   Link #4667
Kyuu
=^^=

Thank you NFL Network for showing the 1999 NFC Championship game again.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 15:47   Link #4668
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Actually been so busy this week creating highlight reels for my cousin who will be in the upcoming NFL draft (His proday is Wednesday) I haven’t had time to really let this whole whodathunt soak in…Let me apply my sponge…

Quote:

IMO I just don't rag on teams for shit like this either way, just watch the game and stop trying to add all these dramatic outside elements. It isn't a soap opera, its football. I'm sure every team does some nasty shit behind the scenes so we shouldn't be so surprised when it comes out. I take it as a given and just get my entertainment from the games.
Look, when I’m taking a toilet break the last thing on my mind is the Patriots cheating dynasty…I don’t take on some absurd arms to bare in any of these cases really…I also share the assertion that football, and the profession I once loved an admired (Journalism) has turned into little more than red-lipstick mirror talk in the girls’ bathroom, but if something is discussed I’m gonna discuss it…Anybody can say anything and feel anyway about anything, until you ask them the question (or pose the statement)…

If your gonna say that defensive players trying to knock good players out of football games is the same as systematically using hand signals and practice films of other teams represents the same competitive advantage, then I gotta hop of the toilet seat make sure you recognize that it isn’t…The institutionalization of both or either will be the strap (and for the Pats it was) inwhich the horses’ a$$ is lashed, but make no mistake about it...They are not the same thing, regardless of whether you essentially care or not…

Because In a vacuum I don’t care much about either case and certainly I find the new ice cream flavor of the week being the Saints fallen Glory a story so flexed out of proportion it mirrors Brett Favre’s swollen ankle after that championship game…So rest assured whatever magical maneuvering you see me exhibiting; it’s less Chris Angel and more dollar store trick-decks, because distinguishing these two issues,... it’s just that easy…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari
Yeah, you can't really whine about the Patriots and then present a long court case paragraph to try and rationalize bounty hunting by your team.
Yes you can…It’s called an argument…Have PoPo made aware of this…

How bout you and your friends on the lookout read this wonderful article that basically encapsulates my feelings on this entire debate…It’s really that good…But most importantly, it is what it is...
Old 2012-03-06, 17:33   Link #4669
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Actually been so busy this week creating highlight reels for my cousin who will be in the upcoming NFL draft (His proday is Wednesday) I haven’t had time to really let this whole whodathunt soak in…Let me apply my sponge…

Look, when I’m taking a toilet break the last thing on my mind is the Patriots cheating dynasty…I don’t take on some absurd arms to bare in any of these cases really…I also share the assertion that football, and the profession I once loved an admired (Journalism) has turned into little more than red-lipstick mirror talk in the girls’ bathroom, but if something is discussed I’m gonna discuss it…Anybody can say anything and feel anyway about anything, until you ask them the question (or pose the statement)…

If your gonna say that defensive players trying to knock good players out of football games is the same as systematically using hand signals and practice films of other teams represents the same competitive advantage, then I gotta hop of the toilet seat make sure you recognize that it isn’t…The institutionalization of both or either will be the strap (and for the Pats it was) inwhich the horses’ a$$ is lashed, but make no mistake about it...They are not the same thing, regardless of whether you essentially care or not…

Because In a vacuum I don’t care much about either case and certainly I find the new ice cream flavor of the week being the Saints fallen Glory a story so flexed out of proportion it mirrors Brett Favre’s swollen ankle after that championship game…So rest assured whatever magical maneuvering you see me exhibiting; it’s less Chris Angel and more dollar store trick-decks, because distinguishing these two issues,... it’s just that easy…
Yeah, but I didn't say they're the same thing. I said it's ridiculous to say hand signal taping is worse than making bets for potentially illegal hits. To some extent every team has legal or illegal knowledge of their opponents playbook (and according to many sources numerous teams had ways of interpreting hand signals). On the other hand, as common as injuries may be in football, if you're able to injure a star player from a purposeful system (and get paid for it to boot) you can single handedly screw the other team. Not only that, but even if you don't take your victim out via injury you'll surely bang him up enough to affect his play. That might be a part of football either way, but with all the stuff I'm seeing now with the Green Bay game and whatnot, you can definitely see some illegal hits, and just the simple culture of guys wanting to win by knocking him out of the game, or limiting his playing ability.

Either way that's my last comment cuz like I said I don't care about the bounty thing all that much, I only argue in the first place because I wish people like you who will give their home team a free pass when the latest scandal of the week occurs would learn your lesson and just put a sock in it about the Patriots. That's overly wishful thinking, though
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 18:09   Link #4670
Kyuu
=^^=

Well, it's official:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ning-wednesday

Peyton no longer a Colt.
Old 2012-03-06, 18:31   Link #4671
GDB

Well, it's an official timetable for the rumor anyway. It's not official until... it actually happens.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 18:58   Link #4672
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Yes you can…It’s called an argument…Have PoPo made aware of this…

How bout you and your friends on the lookout read this wonderful article that basically encapsulates my feelings on this entire debate…It’s really that good…But most importantly, it is what it is...
Sure you can take that angle, you'll just look like a fool with a bias though. You're obviously stuck on Master Roshi's island. Wake up and get clue. At least on the lookout I have a good perspective, unlike yourself.

And reading someone else's sports article with an agenda doesn't change that. Stop reading other people's work just to make yourself feel better.

Doesn't matter. The consensus feeling is that the Saints are going to get worse punishment anyways.

Quote:
Either way that's my last comment cuz like I said I don't care about the bounty thing all that much, I only argue in the first place because I wish people like you who will give their home team a free pass when the latest scandal of the week occurs would learn your lesson and just put a sock in it about the Patriots. That's overly wishful thinking, though
Well some people would rather look ridiculous trying to save face instead of admitting when their side is in the wrong. By the way, this photo was just leaked of a Saints team meeting:

Spoiler for Saints team meeting.:

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。

Last edited by Samari; 2012-03-06 at 19:15.
Old 2012-03-06, 19:06   Link #4673
Samari
World's Greatest

Uh oh. LOL. Brees might want out da swamp.

Quote:
New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees reportedly does not intend to sign the franchise-tag deal offered by the Saints.

WIST-AM, citing sources in the Brees camp, reported, via CBSSports.com, that the record-setting quarterback is "livid" that he received the franchise tag.

Brees and the Saints still can negotiate a long-term deal, but if one is not reached by July 15 then Brees must either sign the franchise-tag deal or hold out.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-07, 00:47   Link #4674
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Indy and Manning are parting ways as expected.

Come March 13, it is bound to be an even siller season as of now.

As for Brees - I think he wants to see how much Manning can garner then demand as much if not more, as well as find out how severe the penalties will be for what Williams did. If they jeopardise him to ever get in a SB again wtiht the Saints, he could hightail it to somewhere like Miami, but I think it's too early to say that. Really need to know how much New Orleans are willing to pay him and what Williams's stupidity will inflict on them.
Old 2012-03-07, 03:28   Link #4675
Kyuu
=^^=

I want to see. Peyton Manning taking over the Saints, and leading them to a Super Bowl.
Old 2012-03-07, 07:11   Link #4676
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I want Manning in Seattle and getting Carroll a Super Bowl - against New England!
Old 2012-03-07, 08:53   Link #4677
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

This whole bounty bowl thing is humorous to me.

These overpaid athletes shouldn't need to be offered MORE money to do their job, even if it's just a extra $1k to the ridiculous amount they already get.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 09:35   Link #4678
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
If they jeopardise him to ever get in a SB again wtiht the Saints, he could hightail it to somewhere like Miami, but I think it's too early to say that. Really need to know how much New Orleans are willing to pay him and what Williams's stupidity will inflict on them.
It's not like he can just pack up and go wherever he wants. He was franchise tagged, regardless of whether he signs it or not. He either plays for the Saints, gets traded, gets released, or sits. He does not have the choice of where he goes.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 12:53   Link #4679
Samari
World's Greatest

I've never seen Peyton Manning so emotional in 14 years.

永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Old 2012-03-07, 16:58   Link #4680
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
I've never seen Peyton Manning so emotional in 14 years.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapol...module=HP11_cp

Yea, that's a lot of man-tears.

;.;

Tags
american football, sports