Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2017-06-22, 10:38   Link #21
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You really ought to put that in spoiler tags as a courtesy to those who haven't read the manga that far.
it's a 20 year old spoiler and featured in what's considered one of the best OVAs ever made. lets not get carried away now.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 16:00   Link #22
Random14

I'd love to see the Jinchu arc animated, although not sure if some parts of it would be too much for regular TV (late night should be fine). Not like Rurouni Kenshin was ever that that bloody or gory but Kenshin's past is one of the darkest parts of the manga. There was that OVA decades ago that covered Kenshin's past, but then there was that awful kind of finale OVA too.

Although the Kyoto arc was the high point of the series, so I'm glad that part got animated at least. Some series never even make it that far, much less get decent adaptations that cover those epic fights.

I'm cautiously optimistic, Watsuki's usually pretty good, guess it depends on how much Kenshin does or whether Yahiko will play a big role. There were a couple of post-series chapters that had grown up Yahiko. Although Watsuki's never had another hit like Kenshin (probably one of my favorite series ever), but most of his stuff has been decent at least. I kind of wish Gun Blaze West had lasted longer, but that western theme wouldn't landed with most readers probably.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 17:21   Link #23
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
it's a 20 year old spoiler and featured in what's considered one of the best OVAs ever made. lets not get carried away now.
Hey - how hard is it to use a spoiler tag?

Anyway, many manga fans consider that OVA to be a bastardization of the material (it's hardly connected to the Jinchu arc in substance, irrespective of whether one likes it or not), so it's hardly unanimous that it's "one of the best OVAs ever made". Watsuki himself hates it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-22, 17:42   Link #24
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hey - how hard is it to use a spoiler tag?

Anyway, many manga fans consider that OVA to be a bastardization of the material (it's hardly connected to the Jinchu arc in substance, irrespective of whether one likes it or not), so it's hardly unanimous that it's "one of the best OVAs ever made". Watsuki himself hates it.
he hated it because it was too serious.

and while i won't say it was the best ova ever, it was imo very good.
Old 2017-06-22, 19:18   Link #25
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

eh, not hard at all to use a tag. it's like talking about star wars though.

i guess saying it was one of the best ever is a bit of an over exaggeration, but i remember it being praised a bunch when it came out. i think i was blown away by it when i watched it. granted, it has been a looooooooong time though. and it's by no means an absolute metric, but it's ranked 23rd on MAL.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2017-06-23, 01:10   Link #26
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

LOL, I agree about that last part.

For me, the production values are superb, and I certainly don't disagree that it's widely popular. But I just feel as if it totally misses the spirit and substance of Rurouni Kenshin - As if it was written by someone who either didn't "get" the series or just didn't give a damn about trying to be spiritually faithful to it.
Old 2017-06-23, 10:21   Link #27
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i thought it was purposefully written that way. kenshin's back story was by no means a light topic, and OVA did a great job at portraying how serious it was. you have to understand the darkness behind the character to truly appreciate his motivations in the series.

Old 2017-06-23, 10:36   Link #28
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i thought it was purposefully written that way. kenshin's back story was by no means a light topic, and OVA did a great job at portraying how serious it was. you have to understand the darkness behind the character to truly appreciate his motivations in the series.
read the manga, the author put a lot of gag faces and light heart moments in there.
Old 2017-06-23, 11:46   Link #29
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Yeah. Well, I don't remember since I read more than 2 years or so IIRC, but I manga authors do that often (putting in light-hearted moments and gag art in the middle of dark moments in the manga). It's meant to do as the term implies - lighten the reader's mood.
Old 2017-06-23, 12:21   Link #30
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
read the manga, the author put a lot of gag faces and light heart moments in there.
you're missing my point. the whole premise of Kenshin deciding not to kill anyone is based on the events with and around Tomoe. without the that dark past, the rest of the series doesn't make sense, since a major plot device for the first two arcs is trying to get Kenshin the hitokiri back.

Full Metal Alchemist also has a lot of gag faces and light hearted moments too. that must mean that series is all sunshine and rainbows.

Old 2017-06-23, 13:06   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Not to put too fine a point on it, but when the author himself rejects something, doesn't that make the whole question of interpretation moot?

I mean, that has no bearing on whether one likes an adaptation (like Samurai X) or not. Everyone will make that call based on their own tastes. But how can one debate the question of whether something is faithful to the material when the material's author says it isn't?
Old 2017-06-23, 14:20   Link #32
DragonOsman
Dragon King

That's not what the author said, though, is it? He just said it was too serious for his liking. It could just be that he meant that it followed the material "correctly" but in a too serious way.
Old 2017-06-23, 14:35   Link #33
Malicre

didn't kenshin and his girl die in the anime or was that not cannon? iv never read the manga so im curious as to if the anime/manga ending were different?
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 15:08   Link #34
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Not canon. Did that even happen in the anime? I don't remember. But yeah, the manga definitely didn't go that way because Kenshin and Kaoru are still alive. They also have a son.
Old 2017-06-23, 15:11   Link #35
Malicre

so would u guys recommend me to watch Rurouni Kenshin but skip the samurai x reflections OVA (this is the one he dies in and people seem to really hate)?
Malicre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 16:40   Link #36
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Yeah, that sounds about right. Do that. Read the manga first, though, please. I think it's better to read/watch (whichever applies better) the original first, then the adaptation.
Old 2017-06-23, 17:09   Link #37
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicre View Post
didn't kenshin and his girl die in the anime or was that not cannon? iv never read the manga so im curious as to if the anime/manga ending were different?

ep5 and 6 of the oav which is non-canon. Most people ignore it.

Considering the whole series has been translated for a long. Why not just go read it?
Old 2017-06-23, 17:50   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, read the manga. That's the one and only definitive version.

That said, Gallop's take on the Kyoto Arc really is superb and shouldn't be missed. Watch the TV anime afterwards. You can stop after the Kyoto Arc, but there all-original 3rd season has some good moments interspersed with the mediocre ones.
Old 2017-06-23, 18:59   Link #39
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I'm glad Tsuiokuhen OVA being "unfaithful" to the manga by creating a masterpiece of cinematic proportion. Let's admit it, the manga is not perfect. It was too rosy for that kind of people in (Bakumatsu?) era in that kind of situation (for me, at least). The manga even made the part where Kenshin fighting his enemies to save Tomoe felt like video game stages where each opponent that he faced took away his senses bit by bit before facing the final boss. I'm so glad the Tsuiokuhen OVA cut that and the other shonen-y parts out and concentrate more on contemplative moments between Kenshin & Tomoe that felt deeper than what I experienced reading the manga.

Oh, and not all parts in Gallop's take of the anime TV series are great either (let alone perfect). Many of the filler episodes are (beyond) annoying (oh my god, that circus episode & others). DEEN's filler arcs like Shogo Amakusa & Feng Shui are a lot better compared to those. And now that I've recently rewatched it, I notice that the fight animation between Kenshin & Shishio's final duel is underwhelming. It has many stills, and stilted animation. No wonder I don't remember it much. From visuals alone, it's nowhere near a masterpiece, but thank god the music helped to carry those scenes. I'd even go as far as saying that the live-action adaptation of Shishio's climactic battle is more exciting, more visually-arresting and more memorable. Still, I agree that RK TV series shouldn't be missed, but skip the episodic fillers if you can (not the filler arcs).

Speaking of being different or "unfaithful" to the source material in order to create a better anime, here's an interesting video on that topic:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
If this one has been brought up before then I'm sorry for the repetition.
Old 2017-06-23, 23:40   Link #40
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

so just as an aside, i'm rereading the remembrance arc now. there's very little light hearted-ness there. its possibly not as dark as the OVA, but it's still pretty darn dark. the mangaka even put in the interlude chapter just to lighten the mood.

kind of pointless to argue though.