Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-19, 21:31   Link #1
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Desperate for some Action x Romance

ok, the title can be misleading, I'll try my best to describe what I want.

Let's see, examples of what pisses me off and the reason I'm seeking help here: Rosario + Vampire, Sekirei, Chrome Shelled Regios, Toaru Majutsu no Idex, Asura Cryin', MSLNanoha, Kaze no Stigma. Don't get me wrong, I think they are all awesome, great stories with good settings and characters imo, but... it lacks something, it lacks some freaking LOVE! They'll all be perfect if at least two of all the f***ing characters decided they liked each other! (doesn't even have to be the main character, almost anyone is fine at this point of desperation)
It really angers me to see how can boys and girls (specially boys) be so, mmm how to say it, chaste?

I'm not looking for standard romance stories (I only recently found out that shoujo and josei genres have plenty more love than shounen/seinen lol, but they usually lack the action part (correct me on this if I'm wrong)), I want some bombs x hugs, bullets x kisses and why not chilhood unreversible trauma x desperate unreachable love too. (don't take this too literally )

Examples of anime/manga that somehow fill my apetite: Full Metal Panic (the best there is ), Dance in the Vampire Bund, Fate/stay night (the visual novel only), Elfen Lied. Damn, I didn't realize I knew almost no examples of what I was looking for

I know I may be asking the impossible, but I beg your help

PD: I know I said all this, but I'm still willing to take some quality romance only stories like True Tears
PD2: MEGATSUN-dere types of love don't really count, I'd had enough of that with Zero no Tsukaima.
Old 2010-04-19, 22:41   Link #2
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Try:
Saikano
Vampire Knight - not too much kisses/hugs, but it's there and the action/story/romance is good
Vampire Knight Guilty
Fukatoi Alternative - perhaps?
Fate/Stay Night
Kampfer - definitely!
Shingetsutan Tsukihime - definitely!
Dance in the Vampire Bund - fairly new
He is my master - no bullets or anything, but it may fit your description in a different way
Old 2010-04-19, 23:18   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
First and most obvious: Crest of the Stars (By the end of Banner II anyways). Definitely watch this one.

Katanagatari seems to be heading that direction.

Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe probably count

Starblazers would count, but you might not want to watch 70s era animation. Good story though.

Ah My Goddess has a good amount of action/adventure, although you might complain about the chaste nature of the relationship- but they are clearly dating.

Hmm... maybe Baka to Test as a real slapstick comedy version... I guess there is occasionally some action...

No tsun makes this hard.

You say no tsun, yet you list Full Metal Panic as your favorite... and Chidori Kaname is rather tsun...

So I'll list some that have tsun but not as much tsun as Zero no Tsukamia.

Chrono Crusade
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Inuyasha
To Aru Majutsu no Index (or so I've heard)
Ranma 1/2 (manga)
Shakugan no Shana (I know Louise is an expy of Shana, but as I recall Shana isn't nearly as tsun).

If baseball tournament and hurling epic fastballs is sufficient action, Cross Game would make a good choice.

Oh... yes... Change 1 2 3, but it's very very... ecchi. As in a lot of topless girls.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-04-20, 03:08   Link #4
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

Most of the shows I've already seen them, but Crest of the Stars and Ah My Godess caught my atention, I'll be taking a look at them.

AI have my doubts about Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe. Aren't they just generic harems? (just googling some images and the wiki) What I'm looking for is for some concrete relationship development, and I now realize I forgot to mention this before
And I didn't meant no tsun, just the "SUPERMEGATSUN with almost no dere" ones, Louise at the top as far as I know So I have no problem with moderate tsunderes like Chidori, or maybe Shana.

I have to agree with Katanagatari, and, strangely, Change 1 2 3 also has some real relationships, even if at first sight it looks like another (sort of) harem generic manga.
Old 2010-04-20, 08:47   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwings View Post
Most of the shows I've already seen them, but Crest of the Stars and Ah My Godess caught my atention, I'll be taking a look at them.

AI have my doubts about Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe. Aren't they just generic harems? (just googling some images and the wiki) What I'm looking for is for some concrete relationship development, and I now realize I forgot to mention this before
And I didn't meant no tsun, just the "SUPERMEGATSUN with almost no dere" ones, Louise at the top as far as I know So I have no problem with moderate tsunderes like Chidori, or maybe Shana.

I have to agree with Katanagatari, and, strangely, Change 1 2 3 also has some real relationships, even if at first sight it looks like another (sort of) harem generic manga.
Tenchi Muyo is more like the template for all the generic harems that followed. The fandom and so forth therefore tends to focus almost elusively on the harem aspect, but in actuality has quite a bit of adventure in it too. Tenchi is also a little unusual among harems because in the end
Spoiler for Spoiler as to the eventual winner of the harem:

The OVAs are actually kind of intriguing (at least until the latest set came out that didn't seem to advance the plot at all). The first set of OVAs even had a plot (if rather complicated with some loose ends). The characters are more complex and less stereotypical.

Tenchi Universe is in many way romantically even closer to the harem motif, so maybe it's not for you if you really want romance. The action adventure plot is more typical but much tighter and easier to follow. The characters are more typical stereotypes in this one.

Tenchi in Tokyo is pretty much just harem, and generally considered an atrocity that should never be mentioned.

Now... I'm actually not that big a fan of it. I mean, it's a decent enough show I guess, but the main reason I know it is because my sisters loved watching it on TV. It's one of the old "classic" anime. I mentioned it because I figured it did meet your request.

Main reason I tend to think watching it is worthwhile is because if you watch the first OVA (six episodes) then you can watch and understand the Mihoshi Special, which has to be one of the funnier satires of anime that I've seen.

So basically I'm saying, that from your response, that maybe you'd find the first OVA worth watching, but I would also say that Crest of The Stars is a much better starting place.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-04-20, 15:56   Link #6
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

I see Ah! My Goddess! caught your attention. I'd recommend watching the old OVA and the movie to get the idea of what it is, and then, if you like it, move to the TV series. The manga was much better than the anime before, but recently the author creates totally pointless arcs. And it is really really long.
Old 2010-04-20, 18:00   Link #7
GreatTeacherKen

The Macross franchise might be worth a look. All of them have equal parts action and romance. Note that there's no need to watch them in order, so if you choose to start with the newest series, Macross Frontier, you can still follow the story.
Old 2010-04-20, 23:47   Link #8
HighGuard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
The Macross franchise might be worth a look. All of them have equal parts action and romance. Note that there's no need to watch them in order, so if you choose to start with the newest series, Macross Frontier, you can still follow the story.
Quote:
I want some bombs x hugs, bullets x kisses
If you want that, then Macross is the way to go. It's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw what you wanted. Macross is Music, love, and Valkyries There is an order to the shows but theyd on't crossover or pick up where the other left off. If you like over the top then Macross 7 would be the best.

Some of the Gundam shows also have love but it's not an important part of the show.
Old 2010-04-21, 03:39   Link #9
Deadwings
Heaven's Nightmare

I've been avoiding Macross for a while now. I guess I'm just scared of involving myself in such a long franchise and not being able to return without becoming a fanboy But if you say it has what I'm looking for, then I'll jump to pool and see what happens.

Hehe, Crest of the Stars has such a nostalgic feeling to it. After watching ep1 I realize I'm understimating the first generations of anime

Arigato Gozaimasu! This should keep me busy for a while
Old 2010-04-21, 07:28   Link #10
blewin

Eureka Seven has plenty of romance and action. Can't miss it!
Also you might like: Zegapain.

Both animes have clearer indication of whom the protagonist falls for. No confusion whatsoever.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Closed Thread