AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-11, 16:49   Link #1
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Nanoha Franchise General Discussion Thread

Due to recently off topicness in the image thread, a propose having a general Nanoha thread where people can talk about the franchise as a whole and other misc. topics related to it. This way all the random chatter that doesn't fit into other established threads have a place to go and don't detract from the other threads.
Old 2011-12-11, 17:40   Link #2
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
This?

wordlimit

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-12-11, 17:46   Link #3
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

That's only about the first season, though. I'm talking about something for the franchise as a whole, like, say, how the themes in the first season match up with the themes in Vivid. Wouldn't belong in the season 1 thread since it talks about Vivid, and it wouldn't belong in the Vivid thread because it's about season 1.
Old 2011-12-11, 17:52   Link #4
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

This?

I'm pretty sure that'd handle maybe 90% of what you are asking in execution.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-12-11, 18:03   Link #5
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

By definition you can't talk about anything that already exists in a theories and speculation thread.
Old 2011-12-11, 18:05   Link #6
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Speculation threads are generally contained to talking about in-universe stuff, and aren't meant for talking about out-of-universe, meta concepts and all that.
Old 2011-12-11, 18:11   Link #7
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

I'm suggesting more of a "water cooler" thread where conversations can address anything Nanoha related so such conversations won't derail threads dedicated to a specific topic.
Old 2011-12-11, 18:19   Link #8
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Well if you aren't supporting existing threads.... maybe a water cooler thread might work, but i'd rather use the existing ones.

Old 2011-12-11, 18:36   Link #9
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

I use existing threads myself, but when the image thread gets into a talk about who would take what role in S&M, well, that doesn't belong there and it doesn't belong in other threads either. I'm suggesting a place where random topics like that can go.
Old 2011-12-11, 19:08   Link #10
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
I'm suggesting more of a "water cooler" thread where conversations can address anything Nanoha related so such conversations won't derail threads dedicated to a specific topic.
And what exactly would we discuss in these "water cooler" threads that doesn't already have a dedicated thread, thus leading to even the water cooler thread getting the "off-topic, take it to the right thread" treatment?

Trying to shut down off-topicness in the image thread by making more threads is an exercise in futility. Image threads get into these talks because people comment on images. The only way you're ever going to stop people getting into these talks is if you stop them from commenting on images altogether.

Last edited by Keroko; 2011-12-11 at 19:46.
Old 2011-12-11, 19:55   Link #11
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

I've already given several examples. There will always be grey areas that dedicated threads don't cover.

Probably can't stop the talks from starting, but if there was a general thread there would be a place where those conversations could be taken.
Old 2011-12-11, 22:38   Link #12
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Well then, to kick off this thread where does everyone see the franchise going from here? After 3 seasons, 2 movies, a bunch of mangas and other stuff, where to next? It seems to be pretty successful in Japan but it hasn't had a TV anime since StrikerS. Are all the resources going only to the movies or is the series perhaps not popular enough to warrent another TV run after all? Seven Arcs has release several animes in the meantime so it's not like they can't do another TV series on top of the movies.

Maybe we'll only get brand new installments in manga form from now on. Though since they're so fond of time skipping I think they're quickly approaching (or maybe already passed) the 'best before' date and it's time they end things completely. Maybe they could drop Nanoha from the title and start over fresh, keeping the same setting with completely new people. However since a lot of the success does hinge on the already established characters, that could be less than successful.

So is it time to end things or is there still unexplored territory to venture into?
Old 2011-12-12, 01:25   Link #13
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Nanoha Vivid OVA then Nanoha Force OVA (or season) and maybe Gears of Destiny OVA
Old 2011-12-12, 01:44   Link #14
Sunder the Gold

Maybe a prequel series, set after the end of the Reunification War, following the establishment of the TSAB and culminating in the adoption of the new calendar.

Since that likely happened because of successfully transitioning from the use of mass-based weapons to prohibition, and a new reliance on magic-only weapons and tactics, it would be a nice counterpart to the slide seen with StrikerS and Force.

Of course, this assumes artistic priorities rather than marketing priorities, so I have no hope for it.
Old 2011-12-12, 02:02   Link #15
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
Maybe a prequel series, set after the end of the Reunification War, following the establishment of the TSAB and culminating in the adoption of the new calendar.
As if they're brave enough to make a prequel without slipping in Nanoha and/or Fate somewhere
Old 2011-12-12, 02:07   Link #16
Sunder the Gold

Hence the remark at the end of my post.
Old 2011-12-12, 03:35   Link #17
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Yeah Tsuzuki etc, they don't treat their property quite like eh starwars or star trek

Old 2011-12-12, 05:35   Link #18
Mr Coin
Heads or Tails?

An OVA on Gil Graham's life in his prime would be good.
Old 2011-12-12, 09:07   Link #19
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
So is it time to end things or is there still unexplored territory to venture into?
What Nanoha as a franchise needs, without going into unrealistic expectation like getting darker and edgier, is 1. A Bigger Budget. 2. A reboot. 3. Creative control with editors and checkers. 4. Less reliance on cross-media.

2 and 3 are linked. Nanoha with its character cast and universe have gotten so big that cracks, in the forms of contradictions or whatever else, started to appear. With a reboot, fans can hope something with solid foundations, like actual elaboration on the whole game of paper rock scissors, magic x anti-magic x conventional. Think about it, A's with the Materials. And that's just one of the possibilities.

4 is one fo my biggest pet peeves against the franchise, as an anime watcher I should NOT need to read the tie-in manga to get the connection between Nanoha, Subaru and a random bridge bunny who only appears five minutes in one episode, I should NOT be TOLD about Nanoha's accident, instead I should be SHOWN that accident in its grim and bleak glory. Flashbacks told like it was in StrikerS does not cut it. Also, please, stop with those timeskips. Using one too many eventually get some of the fans disconnected with the characters.
Old 2011-12-12, 10:49   Link #20
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

One and two have already been fulfilled with the movies.

For three, Tsuzuki has total creative control over things. He's the only writer for the series. I'm sure he has editors and stuff already, but yeah a closer eye to keep things consistent would be good.

Four is really a non-issue. I know it sucks for us because we don't have access to all those materials unless some one translates them, but the show isn't made with us in mind. It's for the japanese and the japanese have easy access to all that stuff. Having cross-media isn't a problem.