AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-02-06, 16:48   Link #1
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Send a message via AIM to Remittance Man
Street Fighter III: Third Strike!!!

Who's played it? If so, can you give me some strategies for beating the following characters:
--Hugo
--Ryu
--Ken
--Akuma

I use these characters:
--Chun-Li
--Remy
--Elena
and sometimes...
--Ibuki
--Ryu
--Ken
--Urien
--Sean
Remittance Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 17:51   Link #2
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Your better of going to gamefaqs.com they have loads of strategies their and 3rd Strike was originally a Dreamcast game so maybe not many people here played it unless they got the Street Fighter Collection for their PS2/Xbox.
mxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 22:43   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I play Third Strike a bit in the arcades, but wouldn't mind having the collection for the xbox.

And i agree with mxg, you're best of with gamefaqs - and if that fails then all i can think of is google. ^^
Old 2006-02-06, 23:12   Link #4
Theundyingmage

Try shoryuken.com and the forum there. Since its a Street Fighter Site they may help you a bit.

My tip........ learn to use Yun
Theundyingmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 00:34   Link #5
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

Makoto ftw!

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 03:46   Link #6
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theundyingmage
Try shoryuken.com and the forum there. Since its a Street Fighter Site they may help you a bit.

My tip........ learn to use Yun
Co-sign.

SRK is really the ONLY place you need to go for anything fighting game related. If you want to get competitive in any fighting game, SRK is the way to go. Plus their General Discussion board > the internet.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 07:30   Link #7
Theundyingmage

Also watch other good player in your area and see how they play against those characters then modify their strats to your play style.

Drop Elena and start to learning how to use Ken more since he is top tier in 3S.

Hugo can be tough if your opponent knows how to do a standing 360 but the general thing is to is to try to stay away or keep the offensive on.

RKA can be played against in similar fashion but learn to recognise and parry a crouching Med kick. Always parry any stray long range fireballs.

If you are playing in the arcades learn to Kara-throw as everyone does it and helps a long.
Old 2006-02-08, 15:49   Link #8
Remittance Man

Location: I live in the ruins of Gill's fortress. You'll see me there with Ryu...
Quote:
Also watch other good player in your area and see how they play against those characters then modify their strats to your play style.

Drop Elena and start to learning how to use Ken more since he is top tier in 3S.

Hugo can be tough if your opponent knows how to do a standing 360 but the general thing is to is to try to stay away or keep the offensive on.

RKA can be played against in similar fashion but learn to recognise and parry a crouching Med kick. Always parry any stray long range fireballs.

If you are playing in the arcades learn to Kara-throw as everyone does it and helps a long.
Drop Elena? Kudabare! I've sworn by Elena for months! Besides, she's adorable! I'm a beast with Ken, actually. Ken is one of only three characters with whom I've gotten all the way to Gill without losing. The others are Chun-Li (of course!) and Akuma...AKUMA! I never use Akuma. I was just playing the evil game for a bit (I use Urien now to that end) and I almost double-perfected Ryu! I lose to Ryu all the time, even with Remy, my second-best character! Anyways...To beat Hugo, I usually jump in, attack, and recede whether it connects or not. Usually, while I'm attacking..you know, winding up a Heavy Punch or something...he does that cheap beeyotchy Somersault Press! It drives me insane...and it looks SO painful for my poor Chunny...*sob*
Old 2006-02-08, 15:56   Link #9
MarcusG
Remember Law of Ueki

Drop Eleana.......

On xbox Live I've beaten 90% of people just using her.
MarcusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 23:21   Link #10
Theundyingmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusG
Drop Eleana.......

On xbox Live I've beaten 90% of people just using her.
Must of been against people that don't know how to parry right.

People that use Elena here where I live usually get their *** handed to them by Ken,Chun Li,Yun and Urien players. Also a few Hugo and Makoto.

Urien's Reflector SA is too broken. All those cross up set-ups can really screw with people's games if they don't safe fall.
Old 2006-02-09, 16:25   Link #11
Remittance Man

Quote:
Must of been against people that don't know how to parry right.

People that use Elena here where I live usually get their *** handed to them by Ken,Chun Li,Yun and Urien players. Also a few Hugo and Makoto.

Urien's Reflector SA is too broken. All those cross up set-ups can really screw with people's games if they don't safe fall.
Oh, I use the Tyrant Slaughter as Urien. When I beat Gill with Urien, he tried to do the Ressurection and then...
"Tyrant punish! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Crush!"
KO!
You die! AHAHAHA!
Old 2006-02-09, 20:36   Link #12
Theundyingmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remittance Man
Oh, I use the Tyrant Slaughter as Urien. When I beat Gill with Urien, he tried to do the Ressurection and then...
"Tyrant punish! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Crush!"
KO!
You die! AHAHAHA!
In a verus match I alway use Aegis Reflector since everyone else does as well.

So much fun mind games with that SA.
Old 2006-02-10, 22:03   Link #13
shikamarufoo

Third strike is one of the best street fighters IMO. Shoryuken is a good place to learn tips and there are some vids at combovideos.com if you want to some sick stuff pulled off.
shikamarufoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 08:50   Link #14
Remittance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevurah
Makoto ftw!
I'm not bad with Makoto, but I'd prefer to use Chun-Li most of the time. Makoto's fun to use, and she's cute as a button, but some characters, like Chun-Li, Remy, Elena, and Dudley, click with me, and Makoto just doesn't. Neither does Ibuki. It took me a while to get used to Urien...but after using him to SLAUGHTER Gill with little to no effort, my Urien appreciation went up...big time.
Old 2006-02-15, 09:07   Link #15
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

As most people have stated, Shoryuken.com (SRK) is the way to go for fighting games in general. It gets better for CvS2, MVC2, and SF:3S. Anyway, as long as you're having fun with the characters, I don't see why you should drop the character. If you don't have fun playing your character, you wouldn't get too far with him/her anyway.

Quote:
Make that, people that use anyone but the top three usually get their *** handed to them by Ken, Chun Li, and Yun. Lol, okay so maybe I'm exaggerating a little.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-15, 16:08   Link #16
Remittance Man

That's true...Actually, I don't have many people to play against..except these little kids who suck...and so the only time I've ever lost was when my opponent was a REALLY good Ryu. I think I got him though...with my Chunny and my Q...and maybe...Urien? I think it was Urien I beat him with. I'm a REALLY good Urien, as much as I hate to admit it...He's not the kind of character I like to use...too evil.
Old 2006-02-17, 00:15   Link #17
Js2756
Thread Killer

Chun-Li is easily one of the most braindead characters to use and be good with. She only really needs 4 moves to beat most of the cast:
standing Fierce Punch
back + Fierce Punch
crouching Forward Kick hit confirmed to Super Art II
kara-throws

Her Fierce Punches have a retarded amount of priority and will beat most air and ground moves cleanly. The window to hit confirm her crouching Forward is probably the largest window to cancel any normal move into a super. Her already good walking speed is made more dangerous by the added range that kara-throws add. Her kara-throws also give her a dangerous mixup game with her crouching forward.

Just to clarify terminology:
hit confirm - cancelling a normal move with a super after seeing that the normal move has landed
kara-throw - cancelling a normal move that causes a character to move forward with a throw, effectively extended the throw range (ie. Akuma's forward + strong punch can be cancelled into a throw within the first few animation frames, making Akuma's throw range larger than normal).
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 00:39   Link #18
retrovision
shutterbug

although this game usually revolves around ken, yun and chun-li most of the time, all characters except for sean can hold their own in this game.

i can use ken and be scrubby with chun-li, but i like to use dudley.
retrovision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 16:35   Link #19
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Avid Ken fan and he has been my favorite character to use throughout all the different games featuring the SF warriors.

will also rock with Gouki (Akuma), Ryu, and Yang.

Learning how to parry well will help u improve in the game. You have to use your character's strength. To play Yang for example, you have to master his setup combos that will lead into his supers. His not very powerful so once you have an opening, you must make the most out of it. Learning how to zone your opponents, know when you can hit/be hit and move to strike is important.

I can give you my tips for Ken:
~ use his 3rd Super (Shippuujinrai Kyaku) ~ it does a good amount of damage, is easily linkable to most combos, and most importantly, it has 3 bars so you can store your super bar and use your suped up version of your moves (fireball, dragonpunch, hurricane kick). Only use Supers in the middle of a combo so you KNOW you will connect. If blocked, he will stop midway and be WIDE open for a counter attack.
~ master the easy combos (3-5 hits) that finish off into a fireball or shoryuken. You can easily tack on your super at the end for extra damage. There is no point in trying to learn a 10 hit combo if you can only pull it off 5% of the time. Once you have those down pat, then work on longer combos. You should be able to do your combos from BOTH sides.
the easiest combo is a down-medium kick, followed by a fireball. 2 hitter. u should also learn at least one combo that starts with an air attack. You should also learn one crossover combo (jumpkick deep into the enemy and land on the opposite side of the character) to create confusion. They won't know which way to block sometimes.
~ master parrying (so can you parry ALL fireballs). Fireballs will chip your life away without parrying. With parrying, not only will u not lose any energy but u will raise your Super bar everytime u do it.
~ raise your Super bar at every opportunity. If you are not attacking or defending, do moves to raise your bar. When you jump backwards, hit Fierce kick to get a nice chunk for your super bar. Tap light punch continuously while you are advancing if your opponent is backing away. The more Supers you have stored, the more dangerous your character is.
~ play to his strength. Ken is strong and has powerful moves. You should attack with impunity with him. Don't jump into players too much though. Play the guessing game, be wily. Zoning players with your ground kicks is important. Some people don't incorporate their throws into their game but I say use it if you can. it's part of the game and it's not cheap at all.

With Akuma:
~ You must be VERY aggressive with Akuma. His moves are super powerful but his stamina is WEAK!... One good combo into a super will easily take most of his life if not kill him outright for the round. Master his 3-4 hitters leading to his hurricane kick and finish with DP. Learn how to zone and stay on the offensive. Early jump-ins (his fast downward jumpkicks) is awesome to fake out opponents into striking or blocking and give you time to attack or setup. you cannot backout with Akuma. He's an all-out offensive character.

hope this helps!.
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 18:36   Link #20
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
Learning how to parry well will help u improve in the game. You have to use your character's strength. To play Yang for example, you have to master his setup combos that will lead into his supers. His not very powerful so once you have an opening, you must make the most out of it. Learning how to zone your opponents, know when you can hit/be hit and move to strike is important.

I can give you my tips for Ken:
~ raise your Super bar at every opportunity. If you are not attacking or defending, do moves to raise your bar. When you jump backwards, hit Fierce kick to get a nice chunk for your super bar. Tap light punch continuously while you are advancing if your opponent is backing away. The more Supers you have stored, the more dangerous your character is.
Yang shouldn't really be using his meter for supers. It's much better utilized for EX Mantis Slashes. They do better damage for the amount of meter used, and leave you safe as long as you aren't parried (which is really hard anyways) or do the entire set of slashes (ie. do 4 of the EX slashes if blocked). Also adds to his pressure game. Because of this, his best super is SAII (long bar, two stocks).

Advancing with jabs with Ken isn't good for building meter since jab punches and short kicks don't build any meter unless the hits land or are blocked. Ken's best option for meter building without hitting his opponent are standing and crouching strong punches.

Don't play Akuma versus Makoto, especially if she is playing with SAII.

FYI, I adhere to old school SF terminology (punches are jab, strong, fierce, kicks are short, forward, roundhouse).
Js2756 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fighting game