AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-11-07, 08:27   Link #21
Westlo
Lets be reality

Correct me if I'm wrong from the light novels past the ones TSR was based on there isn't really a stopping point that would be considered good for a season to finish on? I tried reading up on this a while back but at the same time I wanted to avoid spoilers so I'm not to sure I got it right...

Quote:
but then again that was also back when Gonzo wasn't on this B-Anime stint.
Gonzo were considered pretty trashy back during those days in the boards I posted on.... (though not to the extent they are now) and they totally made a mess of the first series, KyoAni and the Gatoh had to fix up at the start of TSR. Also after reading the manga I'm also amazed they animated the arm slaves ping pong episodes over some of the other stuff they could've included.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 08:36   Link #22
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong from the light novels past the ones TSR was based on there isn't really a stopping point that would be considered good for a season to finish on? I tried reading up on this a while back but at the same time I wanted to avoid spoilers so I'm not to sure I got it right...

Gonzo were considered pretty trashy back during those days in the boards I posted on.... (though not to the extent they are now) and they totally made a mess of the first series, KyoAni and the Gatoh had to fix up at the start of TSR. Also after reading the manga I'm also amazed they animated the arm slaves ping pong episodes over some of the other stuff they could've included.
To be fair, Gonzo didn't actually do that bad a job as far as adaptation accuracies go. At least for expectations back then, anyway. Most people assumed that straight-adaptations were impossible just because nobody tried it.

It's just that I can honestly say, KyoAni redrew the line on what a fan would expect how accurate the adaptation should be to be considered ACCURATE. Gonzo's attempt only looked bad now in comparison, because we saw how accurate they could have been.

Look at it another way; the Negima manga had been adapted what, 3-4 times? But each and every one of them refused to stay with the script. And because minor changes early one causes plot-holes later, none of these anime series could actually continue onwards into sequels that actually follow the manga to its current form as a combat anime.
Old 2008-11-07, 09:21   Link #23
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

I hope they will retain the Air-type animation of the OVAs instead of the Lucky Star-type they seem to be favouring these days. It really made the world of Munto beautiful.

And yay! More Yumemi and her snarkiness!

Glee!
Old 2008-11-07, 09:23   Link #24
Nemuru

Unlike most people here I don't have desire for faithfulness nor a Kyoto Animation fanboy but the TV series should prove interesting, in a sense if their original work can be as good as their reputation precedes them.
Nemuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 09:32   Link #25
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

A sample AMV to showcase the art of the Munto OVAs.

The moment when Yumemi made her decision at the end of the 2nd OVA was a "Hell Yeah!" scene for me.

Cheers.
Old 2008-11-07, 10:52   Link #26
shomazta
imataco
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to shomazta Send a message via MSN to shomazta Send a message via Yahoo to shomazta
[アニメ]京都アニメーションオリジナル作品「MUNTO」TVアニメ化!「空を見上げる少女の瞳に映る世界」200 9年早春より放送開始予定!
[ANIME] Kyoto Animation's original work "MUNTO" TV, "The World Reflected in the Eyes of a Girl Looking Up at the Heavens," will start broadcasting from early Spring 2009!

According to Moon Phase's anime list, the project will premiere in early spring of 2009 with a "director's cut" of the two video episodes with new footage. Yoko Hatta (Munto, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) will return as the project's producer. Yoshiji Kigami will also reprise his roles of scriptwriter, director, and episode director. Tomoe Aratani will be the character designer and animation director as she was for the Munto 2 video, the Air television series, and Air In Summer.

Source: ANN update 2
Old 2008-11-07, 15:19   Link #27
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
To be fair, Gonzo didn't actually do that bad a job as far as adaptation accuracies go. At least for expectations back then, anyway. Most people assumed that straight-adaptations were impossible just because nobody tried it.

It's just that I can honestly say, KyoAni redrew the line on what a fan would expect how accurate the adaptation should be to be considered ACCURATE. Gonzo's attempt only looked bad now in comparison, because we saw how accurate they could have been.

Look at it another way; the Negima manga had been adapted what, 3-4 times? But each and every one of them refused to stay with the script. And because minor changes early one causes plot-holes later, none of these anime series could actually continue onwards into sequels that actually follow the manga to its current form as a combat anime.
Accuracy Schmaccuracy, Maybe FMP was the weakest as far as strict adapation goes, but I still say it was the strongest of the 3 seasons and had the best blend of comedy/drama/action/solid story. That's all that matters to me in the long run. I know some people are purists and draw the line the second something is altered from it's source, but I say if it's still good watching then where's the crime.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 15:34   Link #28
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I hope they will retain the Air-type animation of the OVAs instead of the Lucky Star-type they seem to be favouring these days. It really made the world of Munto beautiful.

And yay! More Yumemi and her snarkiness!

Glee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shomazta View Post
[アニメ]京都アニメーションオリジナル作品「MUNTO」TVアニメ化!「空を見上げる少女の瞳に映る世界」200 9年早春より放送開始予定!
[ANIME] Kyoto Animation's original work "MUNTO" TV, "The World Reflected in the Eyes of a Girl Looking Up at the Heavens," will start broadcasting from early Spring 2009!

According to Moon Phase's anime list, the project will premiere in early spring of 2009 with a "director's cut" of the two video episodes with new footage. Yoko Hatta (Munto, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) will return as the project's producer. Yoshiji Kigami will also reprise his roles of scriptwriter, director, and episode director. Tomoe Aratani will be the character designer and animation director as she was for the Munto 2 video, the Air television series, and Air In Summer.

Source: ANN update 2
My prayers have been answered! I am in a very HAPPY, happy place now!

GLEE!
Old 2008-11-07, 16:17   Link #29
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

At least someone's happy.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 16:27   Link #30
hideFan

I am very excited as well. Ive been a fan of Munto for a while now and I was starting to think that the hope of seeing a Munto III was gone completely, despite the few pictures that were floating around on the net earlier this year.
hideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 17:14   Link #31
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
project will premiere in early spring of 2009
probably will premiere
Quote:
Tomoe Aratani will be the character designer
Good news... but I don't believe in Munto's absolute success anyway. And want Haruhi S2.

Last edited by Littm; 2008-11-07 at 17:30.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 17:38   Link #32
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Accuracy Schmaccuracy, Maybe FMP was the weakest as far as strict adapation goes, but I still say it was the strongest of the 3 seasons and had the best blend of comedy/drama/action/solid story. That's all that matters to me in the long run. I know some people are purists and draw the line the second something is altered from it's source, but I say if it's still good watching then where's the crime.
The crime is that the alterations can kill sequels.

Look at Slayers; the most recent new series has almost nothing to do with the novels anymore, because all the changes had piled up to a point that they couldn't go back to the novel storyline. Amelia and Zelgadis aren't even suppose to be in it!

Zero no Tsukaima and Negima I mentioned before, have the same problem.

How would Lord of the Rings fans feel, if the first LotR Movie made so many changes that they couldn't continue on with the next two?

It was standard procedure for anime adaptations to burn its bridges to sequels, in exchange for immediate market gain. They splice and change things under the assumption that there wasn't going to be a sequel anyway.
Old 2008-11-07, 17:46   Link #33
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Quote:
alterations can kill sequels.
Not always. Just remember Futakoi Alternative.
Old 2008-11-07, 17:54   Link #34
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littm View Post
Not always. Just remember Futakoi Alternative.
That's not a sequel, that's a remake.
Just like how Negima has been remade into anime 3 times, it still doesn't make it any better.
Old 2008-11-07, 17:58   Link #35
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

This was just an example of alterations. Remake, yes, but with enough alterations. And Munto should be the same. But who knows.
Old 2008-11-07, 18:14   Link #36
Garetjx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
The problem I have with that is that it takes less than five minutes to say that they have no interest in in FMP sequel and that someone else can animate it.
lol too true. The thing is, FMP fans have been patiently (and not so patiently) waiting for the rest of the novels to be animated. They understood the excuse that KyoAni gave, that they had to wait for there to be an actual ending b4 they began working on it, but now that that ending is starting to arrive FMP fans are getting excited and nervous about FMP's future in animation. The books are very popular, the question is will they get turned into anime? Well, the first season KyoAni did (fumoffu) sold ok, but not great compared to their others, but they still ended up doing a whole 'nother season of FMP. With this is mind, and the fact that KyoAni said they had to wait until the books were finished before producing more anime, it seems almost likely they'll do another FMP anime, even though the sales in Japan were pretty low though I'm told it did alright in USA and Austrailia.

Also, how far do u think they'll go with Munto this time? I'm unfamiliar with the series but interested in KyoAni's works in general.
Garetjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 18:15   Link #37
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

^ For some reason, I don't think KyoAni would animate any more FMP, from what I remembered. TSR sold around 5000 copies per volume (Although the OVA did around 10,000), Haruhi did around 40,000, Lucky Star 20,000 and Clannad abit under 20,000, even Kanon did around 15,0000 (I consider Kanon to be one of their weakest work). In a economy japan is in, I think it's safer to go with a series that would make money, like Haruhi. I think it is quite safe to say FMP doesn't make money, at least not compared to other KyoAni works. Munto on the other side, we have no idea whether it'll be successful, but I think unless it goes very-terriblely wrong, it should be able to perform higher then 5000 copies per volume.

From the AMV looks like there's no harem at all, seems very un-otaku taste anime, maybe it's a nice change for KyoAni (definately a big plus for me). I always see BONES and SUN RISE as the best animators for their original story (they're pretty good at adapting too.) I hope that I can add KyoAni to the list of good original story animators.

My my...I have no idea what the characters are called, but the red guy must be a male-tsundere...at least I have the feeling he is. <<<male tsundere just happens to be one of my favourite character types.
Old 2008-11-07, 18:22   Link #38
Crisano

I honestly hope this does not get canceled. I really liked Munto. I honestly think Munto is some of Kyoto Animation's better work (yes, even better than some of their Key adaptions). Besides, I really praise studios that do their own original work.
Crisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-07, 19:27   Link #39
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musume_no_hoshi View Post
From the AMV looks like there's no harem at all, seems very un-otaku taste anime, maybe it's a nice change for KyoAni (definately a big plus for me). I always see BONES and SUN RISE as the best animators for their original story (they're pretty good at adapting too.) I hope that I can add KyoAni to the list of good original story animators.
Not to trow dirt at Kanon and Clannad, but, I will be quite happy if this new show doesn't have "girl story arcs".
Old 2008-11-07, 21:12   Link #40
shomazta
imataco
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to shomazta Send a message via MSN to shomazta Send a message via Yahoo to shomazta
^ditto, just because KyoAni is known for such shows doesn't mean they have to apply that logic to all their projects... sadly, I don't think it's going to not have "girl story arcs" (uneducated assumption, however looking at that amv I can only gather such)

Tags
fantasy