>.> How come Levy's never fed Natsu any fire before

she now reminds me of a certain MMORPG watercooler class
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 19:38   Link #4122
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
^ Perhaps a hint at Gajeel activating Dragon Soul?
And I wonder if the original raw had IR♥N instead of Tetsu. The heart could be work of scan editors trollin. Given the situation, one would realize that this is not the right situation for showing affection like that, nor have the leisure to do so, and Levy's like the smartest girl in the guild.
It could just be her "handwriting". I wouldn't read too much into it. (I don't mean the pairing itself, which has some fairly obvious signs. I mean the specific heart in iron.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 20:20   Link #4123
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhokhusmak View Post
>.> How come Levy's never fed Natsu any fire before
because they never went on a mission together.
Old 2010-11-13, 20:43   Link #4124
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I kinda hope Levy would keep her rough unkempt hair after this arc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke View Post
^ Perhaps a hint at Gajeel activating Dragon Soul?
And I wonder if the original raw had IR♥N instead of Tetsu. The heart could be work of scan editors trollin. Given the situation, one would realize that this is not the right situation for showing affection like that, nor have the leisure to do so, and Levy's like the smartest girl in the guild.
Considering that Yamazu's Solid Script was kept at its oriental language and all of Levy's one had clear English to it, I'd say it's original.

I wouldn't look too hard into the 'IR♥N' thing being a direct show of affection in the midst of battle, but rather just a hint ( to us readers ) that Levy kinda likes Gajeel.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 00:28   Link #4125
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
If they go that pairing route, it's up to them, but it still feels wrong to me. Kinda like Stockholm syndrome, where the abused comes to love the abuser. I can't stand women who fall for guys that beat them up. Especially when she has two guys that like her already, and have stuck by her always.

But them becoming good friends, would be good. Gajeel could use the redemption, as a sign he's really welcome in Fairy Tail after all he did.

Anyway, I won't get too worked up over these little things right now. FT is primarily a shounen manga, so relationships don't really get too much focus, if at all. I'm not expecting romance; Juvia longing over Gray is about all that's going to happen.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 01:03   Link #4126
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It doesn't bother me too much. Probably because I grew up on Vegeta/Bulma and read a lot of shoujo manga, where all too often, girls fall in love with guys who almost raped them and disregard good guys who stood by her side the entire time.

And while I agree that relationships won't get much of a serious focus, it's best to be prepared for it if Mashima throws in a lot of hints, or sometimes, no hints at all. Cattleya Glory's sudden romantic hook-up with... *cough* in Rave Master was one example... and she had an abusive ex-boyfriend too.

I'd say that the key determinant on what route the whole Gajeel/Levy thing will go would be tested in the Raven Tail arc.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2010-11-14, 01:37   Link #4127
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Next chapter: "Iron Soul"
Doesn't "soul" usually describe animal takeovers? I suppose this isn't gonna be the case this time though...at any rate, Gazille's up for some serious panel time, he deserves it too!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 02:15   Link #4128
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
If they go that pairing route, it's up to them, but it still feels wrong to me. Kinda like Stockholm syndrome, where the abused comes to love the abuser. I can't stand women who fall for guys that beat them up. Especially when she has two guys that like her already, and have stuck by her always.
*cough*

MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 03:07   Link #4129
Velsy

I've read up to 206

Spoiler for Manga chapter 206:
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 03:09   Link #4130
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ I don't mind so much about the plot device used, but the fact that it has yet to contribute to the story in any way. I hope it turns out to be more than just a good ol'reunion...
Old 2010-11-14, 03:26   Link #4131
blewin

Levy's magic is really surprising! but I'm very disappointed that the author didn't show us more. She has an opponent who uses the same magic as hers yet she's defeated by what? sheer power? come on, hasn't she got more than that up her sleeves?

I got a laugh out of the heart-shaped "O" in the IRON that Levy fed Gajeel though.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 08:41   Link #4132
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
*cough*
How apt, considering Erza's case of a Stockholm Syndrome ( of sorts, mental abuse. ) for Jellal is far far far more severe than Levy's by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Levy's magic is really surprising! but I'm very disappointed that the author didn't show us more. She has an opponent who uses the same magic as hers yet she's defeated by what? sheer power? come on, hasn't she got more than that up her sleeves?
I think that's her main weakness. Very versatile application of her powers, but she has insufficient raw power to her scripts. Despite having offensive uses, it still looks more support-oriented than battle-oriented.

Otherwise, she might as well write 'Iron of Rebuke' to give Gajeel his Dragon Force.

Old 2010-11-14, 11:43   Link #4133
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
Actually i find it more problematic that she just plain wasn't fighting the guy with the same kind of magic as her, she was mostly fighting the giant chicken. Only thing she did with other guy was canceling out his word. It would have been nice if maybe she could have tried fighting with Gajeel like throwing up a nice "SHIELD", while he throws a punch at the chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
^ I don't mind so much about the plot device used, but the fact that it has yet to contribute to the story in any way. I hope it turns out to be more than just a good ol'reunion...
That's very true... not only has she been brought back in such a lame way, but so far we don't see any REASON for her to be brought back. I mean so far the only plausible foreseeable reason is a relationship with Natsu (also fanservice), but that's a pretty weak reason unless it's completely and utterly pivotal to his development. This current arc for instance, Lisanna could have just been replaced by any character (hell it felt a tad bit forced for her to join with juvia)

Quote:
I do think that's the wrong way to look at it. The way you talk about it, it sounds like Gajeel is gonna beat her up again. And frankly i find it wrong to compare a guy who hurt the girl once, and a guy who is STILL abusive and is bound to hurt her again. Its like saying a guy is beyond redemption and can't change. I mean hell, that's part of what Levy was complaining about last chapter feeling like he might not have really changed. When it comes down to it, Gajeel has made a serious effort to effectively apologize for what he did and be nothing but supportive to fairy tail as a whole
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 14:04   Link #4134
larethian

levy is getting cuter.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 20:55   Link #4135
tarachi
Observer

It would be hard for Levy to match the goat guy, Seeing that the sword seems to cut easily to Gajeel's Iron coating. Also, so far the chicken is just supporting the goat by spreading egg bombs.
tarachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 06:24   Link #4136
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Actually i find it more problematic that she just plain wasn't fighting the guy with the same kind of magic as her, she was mostly fighting the giant chicken. Only thing she did with other guy was canceling out his word. It would have been nice if maybe she could have tried fighting with Gajeel like throwing up a nice "SHIELD", while he throws a punch at the chicken
that'd have been awesome! I'm afraid this would be the last we see of Levy's fight (until a long time after). So long....

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 11:39   Link #4137
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
The bit about Lisanna really frustrates me, She was dead, KIA not MIA (missing in aciton), they even buried her. Then some forced reason they bring her back to life with that retarded story. Made such a scene of her death.

What frustrates me even more is that none of them were suspicious, It should of been an imposter. When someone who you *seen* and *confirmed* dead appears in front of you, should your first reaction be welcoming then ?.
I partially have to agree. All indications were that she died in front of them and was buried. There was nothing at all about her body disappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
How apt, considering Erza's case of a Stockholm Syndrome ( of sorts, mental abuse. ) for Jellal is far far far more severe than Levy's by far.
This is true to a point, but Jellal was actually a nice guy before, and was later twisted. And it doesn't appear as if they have romantic feelings for each other, but at least as nekama. IN that light, she's more of a friend trying to bring Jellal back, rather than Gajeel who was bad from the get-go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I do think that's the wrong way to look at it. The way you talk about it, it sounds like Gajeel is gonna beat her up again. And frankly i find it wrong to compare a guy who hurt the girl once, and a guy who is STILL abusive and is bound to hurt her again. Its like saying a guy is beyond redemption and can't change. I mean hell, that's part of what Levy was complaining about last chapter feeling like he might not have really changed. When it comes down to it, Gajeel has made a serious effort to effectively apologize for what he did and be nothing but supportive to fairy tail as a whole
No, I did clarify above that Gajeel is deserving of redemption, and Levy being friends with him would do that. Hell, I'd like to see the other two guys of Shadow Gear learning to be friends with him as well.

It's just any romantic hookup feels bad, because it's rewarding bad behavior; all you need to do is beat a girl up, then later say you're sorry and she's yours. Levy being friends with him would be okay, but the experience should have voided any potential for romantic feelings.

And like I said, she's ignoring two decent guys who have been there for her all along, and were beaten up along with her. It's kinda douchy.

And of course, this is all just *IF* this is leaning towards a romantic pairing. If it goes that way, eh, I'll deal. I'd just prefer it doesn't.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 12:42   Link #4138
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
i think you are overlooking the fact that when Gajeel beat up levy and her friends they were in the midst of a guild war. It wasn't like Gajeel constantly gives levy a black eye and she just crawls back to him. They were in war and Gajeel beat up his guild enemy forces. So I would cut that relationship a bit of slack.
Old 2010-11-15, 13:29   Link #4139
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ Can't say he doesn't have a sadistic side though~
Old 2010-11-15, 18:10   Link #4140
Slayerx

Quote:
No, I did clarify above that Gajeel is deserving of redemption, and Levy being friends with him would do that. Hell, I'd like to see the other two guys of Shadow Gear learning to be friends with him as well.

It's just any romantic hookup feels bad, because it's rewarding bad behavior; all you need to do is beat a girl up, then later say you're sorry and she's yours. Levy being friends with him would be okay, but the experience should have voided any potential for romantic feelings.
no it's not; Again you are looking at it the wrong way; "all you need to do is beat a girl up, then later say you're sorry and she's yours." yes that is a despicable, its evil and manipulative; but that's trickery, not seeking redemption, that's NOT what Gajeel is doing. He did not beat her up with the aim of wooing her later. What Gajeel did was wrong, he understands that, and now he is doing everything to apologize for it. This is essentially saying that if one makes a mistake its not to late to apologize and change for the better

Furthermore, to say that Levy could never love him because of what he did IS saying that he is beyond redemption. Even if she is willing to be is friend, to say she can't love him for ONLY what he did in the past means she IS still holding some level of grudge against him and thus did not fully redeem him for what he did... no matter how hard he works to apologize and change himself... Would it be ok for Levy to feel that way? Sure, it's not easy to be THAT forgiving, no one would blame her for holding it against him even if he was sorry... But I think it works better if she doesn't love him for his current problems not just the past like his ongoing fighting, his attitude, or the idea that he hasn't changed as much as she thought; like we saw last chapter

Quote:
And like I said, she's ignoring two decent guys who have been there for her all along, and were beaten up along with her. It's kinda douchy.
Well it does happen in real life. Sometimes a gril can end up not being able to see the guys she's with as anything more than friends; like they are so close their almost brothers to her. When it comes down to it, Levy wasn't interested in them even before Gajeel came into play (i think i recall their profiles saying they both tried to ask her out in the past)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i think you are overlooking the fact that when Gajeel beat up levy and her friends they were in the midst of a guild war. It wasn't like Gajeel constantly gives levy a black eye and she just crawls back to him. They were in war and Gajeel beat up his guild enemy forces. So I would cut that relationship a bit of slack.
I wouldn't call that an excuse... you should only go easy on him if he was doing something he really didn't want to do; and when it comes down to it, Gajeel was quite sadistic and did seem to really enjoy his work
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen