AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-08, 22:02   Link #221
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post

The party's biggest mistake is they don't have a scout, such as thief class or hunter class. Even they are not prepared, they can still have time to retreat. The priest class is probably most important class for the party, and it may be the most hated class from goblins' perspective.
A scout class would have been even worse on the party, dying from the arrows or knives, and being worthless on a goblin hunt, where they need more front liners, and brawlers.

You are confusing knowledge with class ability. Goblins tricks aren't easier to spot with a scout class, that's just plain old knowledge.

Goblins didn't use traps in epsiode1, they neither were their base hidden, or had locks to pick or anything else that is inclusive of scouts/thieves/rangers.

The Goblins simply used knowledge and brawn, that the newbies were too dumb to realized. They were the most crude and low grade tactics, much like their equipment, or location.

They used shadows and misdirection in tunnels, and use kamikaze wave tactics to overcome power. A scout would have provided minimal survival increase, if the scout was also a newbie.

Scouting isn't a scout technique. Anyone can scout and observe. tracking, disarming, support, sneaking, are traits that are pretty pointless if the basics of observation was lacking in the first place.

If anything, they needed heavy warriors and equipment (chain mail heh). But then they're poor newbies that can't afford antidote. If they had even more experiance, the monk would have been the rear guard, for those exact reasons of a pincer attack, or a quick retreat.
kukuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 22:24   Link #222
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
12 eps....that's not good....
without spoiling anything, there's a very good spot to stop at with 12 eps at the pace they're going.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 00:14   Link #223
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuru View Post
A scout class would have been even worse on the party, dying from the arrows or knives, and being worthless on a goblin hunt, where they need more front liners, and brawlers.

You are confusing knowledge with class ability. Goblins tricks aren't easier to spot with a scout class, that's just plain old knowledge.

Goblins didn't use traps in epsiode1, they neither were their base hidden, or had locks to pick or anything else that is inclusive of scouts/thieves/rangers.

The Goblins simply used knowledge and brawn, that the newbies were too dumb to realized. They were the most crude and low grade tactics, much like their equipment, or location.

They used shadows and misdirection in tunnels, and use kamikaze wave tactics to overcome power. A scout would have provided minimal survival increase, if the scout was also a newbie.

Scouting isn't a scout technique. Anyone can scout and observe. tracking, disarming, support, sneaking, are traits that are pretty pointless if the basics of observation was lacking in the first place.

If anything, they needed heavy warriors and equipment (chain mail heh). But then they're poor newbies that can't afford antidote. If they had even more experiance, the monk would have been the rear guard, for those exact reasons of a pincer attack, or a quick retreat.
That's the one thing that I disagree with ya there. The cave is small and narrow, so heavy armor would not be so ideal.

Our Goblin Slayer's equipment set is the most optimal: light armor (with chain mail underneath) and fully cover the entire body, especially the head.
And yeah, I don't think those would be too expensive even for newbies
Old 2018-10-09, 01:08   Link #224
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
*mod snip*

Thinking about it, shamans and hobs are probably pretty rare. If not for them the guys might have gotten through it fine.

It can't be helped because goblins are all you know about from the first episode but... goblins are not considered a serious threat. If they were losing a war it wouldn't be to goblins but demons and dark gods and other dangerous things.

If you leave them to rookies then goblin nests will be taken care of eventually. They rarely get much bigger than groups of 20 or so anyway. Or maybe as much as 50?

Yes some rookies die to goblins but rookies die to giant rats and anything else too. It is just darwinism.
I know there are other threats. That's not the point. It's like saying you can't take care of a massive upsurge in criminality because you're at war with the neighboring country. The bottom line is that the country's getting weaker. It's losing.

Of course, you'd need to crunch actual numbers to determine that. But still, it feels like a human society can't take that kind of attrition for very long. It feels similar to a RPG where you wade through thousands of bandit mobs and wonder where the peasant NPCs necessary for them to prey upon are.

Last edited by LKK; 2018-10-09 at 09:24. Reason: edited quote
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 01:49   Link #225
Tenzen12

You are overstimate goblins. They are potentionaly big threat, but it really isn't pressing issue.
Old 2018-10-09, 06:29   Link #226
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
As the receptionist, she handles more fighters who take on higher reward.
She clearly is also in charge of noobs like the priestess. Starts at 1:22 of the episode. In case you missed it.

At the end of the episode, she is talking to a veteran = Goblin Slayer.

There is also no other receptionist there, so it can be assumed she handles both veterans and noobs

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2018-10-09 at 06:44.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 07:36   Link #227
LG-MAX 2.o

If anyone is curious, the site sankaku complex has gathered several critics of the series on twitter: https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2018/...-rape-culture/
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 08:12   Link #228
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
If anyone is curious, the site sankaku complex has gathered several critics of the series on twitter: https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2018/...-rape-culture/
I would have expected people to be vocal against the rape scene. These are now the times we are in. Things that you got away with in the 90's will only get you in trouble in the late 10's. It's not going to get any better as the series progresses. You guys said that the goblins use rape as the method of reproduction. Excrement is going to hit the fan when this fact comes out.
Old 2018-10-09, 08:38   Link #229
LG-MAX 2.o

well, at least the series has already gained some evidence, the old volumes of the manga are among the most sought after in the amazon currently, even if there is a lot of complaint, also long praised.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 08:48   Link #230
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I would have expected people to be vocal against the rape scene. These are now the times we are in. Things that you got away with in the 90's will only get you in trouble in the late 10's. It's not going to get any better as the series progresses. You guys said that the goblins use rape as the method of reproduction. Excrement is going to hit the fan when this fact comes out.
Goblin Slayer will get away with it just fine. It's Japanese, and they couldn't give two shits about western SJW culture. Hell, that might make it more popular in Japan.

And the anime will end up like the manga in the west. People will rage at it, fans will ignore them, life will go on, and four season later we'll still be laughing at the haters.
Old 2018-10-09, 09:18   Link #231
zerodragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post

And the anime will end up like the manga in the west. People will rage at it, fans will ignore them, life will go on, and four season later we'll still be laughing at the haters.
i take it that the us version manga was edit and tone down like hell? people already raging and it the first episode, oh boy, just wait for the next three, if it continue at this pace, they finish the first volume in that time and there were many dark parts by the end of it. the other volumes tone down a bit at least until volume 5
Old 2018-10-09, 09:32   Link #232
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
That's the one thing that I disagree with ya there. The cave is small and narrow, so heavy armor would not be so ideal.

Our Goblin Slayer's equipment set is the most optimal: light armor (with chain mail underneath) and fully cover the entire body, especially the head.
And yeah, I don't think those would be too expensive even for newbies
False, more agility and movement would do little in a tight tunnel. Especially since goblins do not employ skill, but brute force of attrition. This is a large part why they fell.

Light armor only makes them die quicker, and there is no way to dodge in a tight tunnel superior mobility provides.

4v10 became 3v9 in a blink of an eye, because their mage went down due to not having armor, and priestess basically has no offensive power, so it's really 2v9. Then it was 2v6 when the warrior got overrun, which made their effective fighting force 1v6.

That's how goblins faught, and reason they're such newbie killers. If you let goblins dictate the rules of engagement, your super fighting power is effectively lowered.

Goblin slayer's light armor but still heavily armored considering considering his class type is a type of warrior scout. This is because he's a soloer and his forte is dictating the rules of engagement to his advantage, but just enough armor for goblins.

He is smart enough not to go into a brawl. It is clearly shown how he puts traps down, and hit and run. And he has the priestess only 2 spells cast light, which is a CC, instead of supplementing his firepower in any sort of form, knowing how goblins fight.

In a party that's completely different.

Heavy armored frontliners would basically be tanks in this case, soaking up damage, to blunt the kamikaze attack.

goblins only take 1 or 2 hits to go down. The point is not for the adventurer to go down in the same 1 or 2 hits, when you are pincer-ed like that.

Like the mage who died to the first hit, even the warrior was taken down due to a stab to an unprotected leg. You can say he took more or less 3 hits in total, which is much obvious against 5+ goblins, in a tight space. Armor would have kept him going.

They best situation for goblinslayer is not the best situation for a party, basically.
Old 2018-10-09, 09:37   Link #233
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodragon View Post
i take it that the us version manga was edit and tone down like hell? people already raging and it the first episode, oh boy, just wait for the next three, if it continue at this pace, they finish the first volume in that time and there were many dark parts by the end of it. the other volumes tone down a bit at least until volume 5
Remains untouched.
Old 2018-10-09, 09:47   Link #234
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodragon View Post
Nope. Not in the slightest, and it still has enough fans to support a LN release over seas (which while more common now is still kinda a big deal).

People raged and the fans walked right over them lol.
Old 2018-10-09, 10:18   Link #235
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Nope. Not in the slightest, and it still has enough fans to support a LN release over seas (which while more common now is still kinda a big deal).

People raged and the fans walked right over them lol.

I think people make too big of a deal on GS's rape and sexual themes. The manga is worse then the LN, since they have to actually draw out a guro scene, but neither of them makes a big show of the details.

The LN itself never really get descriptive on any of the guro besides basic layout.

GS at is core was already whitewashed before it even reach us, because the author himself never makes a big deal about it, or rather, just not spend his thesaurus on writing out the those sexual scenes.

You can say some stories would write a page on the shape of a girls breast in contrast to a few sentences in GS about guro.

GS in general is just not very descriptive at it's core really...

In this case, people's imagination is hypocritically way more deviant then the work they're watching.
Old 2018-10-09, 10:40   Link #236
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
BRB laughing at all the but hurt...
Old 2018-10-09, 11:53   Link #237
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I'm genuinely shocked at how many people register the rape scene as fanservice or something to be looking forward to. The whole point is to make it as repulsive as possible to empathize with the guy who wants to go full genocidal on the goblins... you know, the MC!?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 12:07   Link #238
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
BRB laughing at all the but hurt...
I even saw a post or discussion about "Goblin's right" and "Self Defense Rape from Goblin because those people intruded their home"

Internet never cease to amaze me.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 12:39   Link #239
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I'm genuinely shocked at how many people register the rape scene as fanservice or something to be looking forward to. The whole point is to make it as repulsive as possible to empathize with the guy who wants to go full genocidal on the goblins... you know, the MC!?
I think it's clearly misguided to say that it's glorifying rape culture but I do find it silly that it's played up to empathise with the guy rather than the victims. The other victims are basically just there to be devices for the MC. Will the martial arts girl who got raped become a recurring character? Probably not. Does anybody actually empathise with the newbie party that got massacred? I doubt it. It's just juvenile edginess. The really really cheap kind of dark.

Just first impressions fwiw.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-09, 12:48   Link #240
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

The main point is to understand the setting of this story.

To tell that goblin in this work is not simply mooks that will be killed by beginners like others but still need specialties, or at least good amount of experience, to deal with.

Empathizing the beginners is simply a bonus.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy