AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-09-22, 05:41   Link #1
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Tekken 7

First announced during EVO 2014, Tekken series director Katsuhiro Harada confirmed Tekken 7 is in the works. Storywise, it will be the conclusion of the Mishima family dispute. Kazumi Mishima (Heihachi's wife, Kazuya's Mother) was also shown. The game will use Unreal Engine 4 so while there's no word yet about the platforms, it's assumed that it'll be released for PS4 and XB1, possibly a PC release too.

First reveal trailer from SDCC 2014

Some core informations from SDCC panel:
Quote:
- Namco is not ready to show gameplay for Tekken 7 yet, they are still finalizing the game mechanics.

- Tekken 7 will feature the character designs of seven guest artists, including Mari Shimazaki (Bayonetta), Yusuke Kozaki (Fire Emblem Awakening, No More Heroes), Ninnin (Duel Masters, Cardfight!! Vanguard) and Kenichiro Yoshimura (Max Anarchy/Anarchy Reigns). Previously the guest artists were only brought for the console extra outfits, now their designs will be implemend from the beginning of development.

- Shinji Aramaki will be directing the intro for Tekken 7. He is famous for his work on the anime Appleseed Alpha which he also directed.

- Tekken 7's story will go into the entire motivation for all the events that transpired throughout the series. Lingering quesions as to why Heihachi threw Kazuya down a ravine and why Kazuya's mother is dead will all be answered. Tekken 7 will also conlcude the Mishima storyline hinting at some kind of closure for the feud between Heihachi/Kazuya/Jin.

- Kazuya/Kazumi will NOT speak English in the final game. The English dub seen is only done for the sake of the trailer, the final game will have all the characters speak in their native language like in TTT2.

- Tekken 7 will most likely be a 1 v 1 game.

- Tekken 7 will have network features for the Arcade release very similar to how Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was networked globally during its operation. Hence because of this, having an Arcade release in North America will be "difficult" according to Harada.

- Harada understands the declining popularity of Tekken in the competitive North American scene judging by the enrants at EVO. He has also said steps are being taken to make the game more appoachable to the North Ameican audience.

- Tekken X Street Fighter is still in development. The reason the information has been so scarce about it is because Namco is waiting for the opportune time to market it.
Images
Concept arts of Kazumi Mishima (by Mari Shimazaki) and Lars (by Ninnin)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

So far, there are 2 new character candidates. An unnamed fighter of Arabian native, and a Latina Savate (French kickboxing) practitioner named Catalina, who was announced in TGS 2014. She's said to be a beginner-friendly character. Both of them are still in the conception stage:
Images
Concept arts of new characters

The game will undergo a location test at Japanese arcades from 3rd - 5th October and people could play locally or online with different arcades. Seoul vs Tokyo online match test has been done as they want to improve the netcode further. The test will also feature 2 new gameplay features and another character reveal. It is also said that Catalina might be playable.

---------------------------------------

Can't wait for October.
Old 2014-09-22, 05:52   Link #2
hamazura
whatever

ezio and lighter skin version of christie
Old 2014-09-22, 05:58   Link #3
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Most people think so too and so do I.
The characters are still in conception stage so most likely they will be changed later. The Arabian guy in particular has received various feedbacks, and one of the most prominent opinion is indeed the design similarity to Assassin's Creed main characters.
Old 2014-09-22, 14:35   Link #4
Dr. Dahm
Banned

lol Tekken keeps busting out these super secret never before heard of Mishima family members in the more recent games. It makes it look like they're painting this new Kazumi Mishima character as the origin of the Devil Gene going by the trailer. Calling her being revealed not actually to be dead and the hidden final boss right now based on costume design alone. I can't see anyone going to that much trouble with a character design if they aren't going to include them in the game beyond back story reasons.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 20:04   Link #5
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Actually, Kazumi existed since the 1st Tekken although she's merely mentioned in name. And yes, it is implied that Kazumi is the originator of the Devil gene. Harada himself already hinted this since last year. Tekken 7 itself is meant to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series.

A photo of her was also shown in the 1998 Tekken anime (non-canon story):

Yep, they even reveal the silhouette of what looks like the devil form of Kazumi in the trailer and in the Bana Passport cards above, so she might reappear again in the current timeline... although still no word whether she'll be playable or not. I do hope she'll be
Old 2014-09-22, 21:36   Link #6
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Anyone else besides me hoping they update or give the characters new costumes? It's kinda weird, seeing everyone (aside from Jin) that's been around since Tekken 5 wearing the same thing.

That might come off as nitpicking.
Old 2014-09-23, 18:59   Link #7
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

I believe many people do too. But looks like there are many who are okay with it as well. One can argue that the customization system takes care of that. Fair enough for Tekken 6 as the customization system and items are great and has certain themes, but TAG2's customization is horrible (both the items and the system). The only good thing of it is the freedom of color choice.

IMO most of the costumes are largely unchanged in order to establish their iconic getup? Jin's was best in Tekken 5 IMO. If we look closely, his Tekken 6 karate-gi is actually the updated version of his Tekken 3 karate-gi. I guess that's the same with the others. That or the guys at the studio are simply "lazy"... I find it a bit unfortunate because the always-changing costume designs in every game is one of the things I like about Tekken.

It's only Yoshimitsu who get unique designs in every installment except for TAG1.

Honestly while I'm excited about the new Tekken, it worries me as well since they seemed to be trying too hard to address all criticisms and to please all range of audiences.
Old 2014-09-23, 19:46   Link #8
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

lol I forgot about Yoshi.

Quote:
IMO most of the costumes are largely unchanged in order to establish their iconic getup?
I could see that. Hell, Kazuya is pretty much wearing the same P1 outfit from the first Tekken. But yeah, I'm hoping we costumes and customization options similar to T5 & T6 since I heard the reason TTT2's customization options were underwhelming was due to the large amount of characters.

Quote:
Honestly while I'm excited about the new Tekken, it worries me as well since they seemed to be trying too hard to address all criticisms and to please all range of audiences.
But yeah, I'm seeing that a lot as well. They want to make Tekken more accessible in order to bring in more people, but they also want to keep things there for the people who have been playing Tekken for a while.

It's like when SNK said they want to make the next KOF more accessible to newer players.

We'll find out soon. Location tests start in October.
Old 2014-10-03, 03:06   Link #9
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Some info regarding today's location test.

There's 2 new mechanics added: rage arts and power clash. It seems the rage arts is some kind of special move available only when our character enters the rage state, while the power clash seems to be a kind of "endure" state when hit as our character still get the damage.
Some example of rage arts (GIF file):
Leo, Kazuya

The characters available from the location test are (and most probably the confirmed characters so far):
Claudio
Catalina
Kazuya Mishima
Heihachi Mishima
Lars Alexandersson
Asuka Kazama
Lili
Alisa Bosconovitch
Paul Phoenix
Marshall Law
Ling Xiaoyu
King
Dragunov
Bryan
Leo Kliesen
Feng Wei
Steve Fox
Hwoarang

An example of gameplay footage:

^ Looks like Kazuya is wearing his suit from Tekken TAG1 Opening. I'm really loving the new hit effects

Claudio gameplay:

Check out some of the test videos here. it is said that the test for the next 2 days will be streamed through Nico2.

Last edited by Ryonea; 2014-10-03 at 03:57.
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 03:37   Link #10
Vajra
So Like A Rose

I'm curious as to whom this "Claudio" is
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 03:48   Link #11
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuranbo View Post
I'm curious as to whom this "Claudio" is
Soul Calibur Maxi and Devil May Cry's Nero's son

anyway, seems Kazuya got DVJ's b+4.

They finally got rid of the bound system. I liked it when the juggles were so simple before the bound system was introduced. But now it was replaced with these other new features that's pretty much similar to Supers and Ultras on Capcom games.

EWGF looks awesome. I'm not sure about the other graphic effects though. It looks to me that they're overdoing it. Literally zero changes to their wardrobe since Tekken 5. I know there's the customization thing for that, but c'mon.

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 03:56   Link #12
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
Soul Calibur Maxi and Devil May Cry's Nero's son

anyway, seems Kazuya got DVJ's b+4.

They finally got rid of the bound system. I liked it when the juggles were so simple before the bound system was introduced. But now it was replaced with these other new features that's pretty much similar to Supers and Ultras on Capcom games.

EWGF looks awesome. I'm not sure about the other graphic effects though. It looks to me that they're overdoing it. Literally zero changes to their wardrobe since Tekken 5. I know there's the customization thing for that, but c'mon.
Yeah, I noticed that too. According to Wonkey (whose twitter account I linked here), the notation is b+4 alright.

Yeah it seems the bound system is more like Tekken Revolution's? it's still there but less exploitable.

As for wardrobe, well... looks like there'll be little change as some of the character's already got a new render.

Rage arts seems like the finishing move system in DOA5 (I forgot the name of the system). Usable when the character's low on health.
Old 2014-10-03, 04:21   Link #13
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too. According to Wonkey (whose twitter account I linked here), the notation is b+4 alright.

Yeah it seems the bound system is more like Tekken Revolution's? it's still there but less exploitable.

As for wardrobe, well... looks like there'll be little change as some of the character's already got a new render.

Rage arts seems like the finishing move system in DOA5 (I forgot the name of the system). Usable when the character's low on health.
so it's the same move. Makes one think if Devil Jin's gonna be in Tekken 7 or not.

Nope, Bound system is removed completely. What we're seeing is some property albeit similar to bound but your move needs to be a CH(like Lars' ff1+2, Jin's EWGH , etc.) to get that before. But now, it seems you can get that on-air now and it looks like it can make your juggles longer.

new models doesn't necessarily mean new clothes. But I would really hope they'd have new costumes (like Miguel on TTT2).

Power Blow, is what you were looking for. And yeah, obviously, as the name implies you need to be in Rage mode to activate Rage arts.

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 05:00   Link #14
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Jin has yet to appear too. I think he'll still be in the game, considering many people use him.

Well, that's what I meant. it is gone as a system, but became an attack property instead. That's how things were in Tekken Revolution. The moves used to trigger bound are mostly altered so it won't trigger a bound anymore. Some other moves can trigger bounds instead, but mostly they're the moves that are impractical for juggling, hence why I said "less exploitable".
I also noticed that "mid-air" bound after a stage collapsed. It's high and quite slow, reminded me of the bound used in the prototype TAG assault system in TTT2.

Ah sorry, I wasn't referring to the character model, but it's their character portrait art instead (such as Lili, Asuka, Kazuya, and Heihachi here). Some of them already has a new one, wearing the same clothes from the previous games), that's why I think there'll be little change to the wardrobes if there'll be any.

power blow... ah yes that's the name. Hopefully they can make the correct balance of it.
Old 2014-10-03, 05:47   Link #15
Amarantine

Man, Katarina's in-game model looks nothing like her artwork (which looked a lot better). I'm not really digging Claudio either, they both look a little too gaudy.

Also from what I've seen thus far I'm not a fan of this Rage Arts deal either, since it does look an awful lot like your typical Supers or Ultras from other popular fighters. Part of the reason I liked Tekken best was how the gameplay was more seamless and there were no real super moves that interrupted the flow of play or were overpowered. But now there's exactly that, and what's worse they're a rage-exclusive mechanic, which means the gameplay will heavily focus on comeback mechanics, i.e. unfair victories born out of desperation.

Oh well, at least the graphics look good, even if I could do without the excessive fireworks every time someone lands a punch.
Amarantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-03, 09:50   Link #16
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Katarina is kind of okay for me, but Claudio seems out of place indeed... what's with the flaming arm and his garment seems like he came from Soul Calibur universe

While I'm also quite wary about these new mechanics (kinda make Tekken the same as other fighting games), I think we need to learn more about them.

The rage arts seem to be blockable, as seen in the Claudio gameplay video. I'm thinking that it might no be spammable, especially if it has a major drawback. A rage status itself also means a very low health, so if the rage art execution fails (either blocked, whiffed, or something else), it'll be fatal....well, just my speculation. I'm not a pro player

The game itself is still in test stage so things can still change. Hopefully that'll include visual overhaul (the UI, the characters, etc.). Harada also stated in his twitter account that the graphic presented in the test is only at 60%.

The tests in the next 2 days will be streamed so I believe we'll have much more gameplay videos.
Old 2014-10-03, 19:57   Link #17
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Goddamnit Claudio is strait out Maxi...Namco really?

Still waiting for some gameplay from Paul, Alisa and Lili
Old 2014-10-03, 21:31   Link #18
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Bear accessories. Those simple bear accessories.

Images

I know it's supposed to be Tekken Force, but it just reminds me of The Guyver.

Images
Old 2014-10-03, 21:50   Link #19
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Still waiting for some gameplay from Paul, Alisa and Lili
Asuka vs Paul:

Goddamn, that's literally a deathfist.

The nico-nico streaming will start at around 1 hour.

UPDATE:
it's on: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv195284776

Last edited by Ryonea; 2014-10-03 at 22:43.
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 20:01   Link #20
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Day 2 stream highlights:

and complete archive:

- Rage arts can be too damaging, not to mention that it can be used as a combo as well.
- Kazuya's devil transformation still exists, though it might be as an alternative rage arts. It also seems that we'll lose the rage status upon initiating the transformation.
- Looks like the players found the "replacement" for the bound system... the Japanese dubbed it as "Kirimomi" (aerial tailspin). Think of hitting an opponent with Jin's EWHF on CH or Devil Jin's WS 2 so we'll need to chase the opponent to continue the combo.

Today's stream URL can be found here: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv195284834
and the secret banapassport card is Kazumi

Tags
arcade game, fighting game, tekken, tekken 7