AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-10-18, 02:07   Link #1
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Wishlist: Anime Series That Would Benefit from a Modern Remake

In the previous thread I posted, we talked about which series should have been left without an adaptation. It's quite interesting, finding out that I'm not the only one disappointed with the handling of the Hidan no Aria adaptation and that there are series which are so good that no adaptation would do it justice.

The thread is still open for discussion, although it's currently far away from Page 1.

Meanwhile, I found myself watching some episodes of Initial D Fourth Stage (2006) a few days ago, and I'm quite amazed at how much the Initial D franchise benefited from the advances in CGI graphics. Unlike in First Stage (1998), which features essentially car-shaped blocks sliding in a mountain-shaped ice block, Fourth Stage captures what a car looks like — including the fine details of each featured car and the light effects as the car swerves through the course.

Comparison Images:
Spoiler for Initial D First Stage (1998):

Spoiler for Initial D Fourth Stage (2006):

Seeing this makes me wonder if an anime series from the past, for example the early Gundam series of the late 70's (which would be as CGI-heavy as Initial D), or any anime series from the past in general would benefit from a remake using modern animation techniques.

In general, this discussion can also cover the bad effects of remakes like this in the shows themselves (if any), in light of the currently-airing remake of Hunter x Hunter and the upcoming Lupin III Anniversary Project.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 02:13   Link #2
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Fate/Stay Night-- Oh sure it technically came out in 2006, but it didn't look like it.
Higurashi too.

And remake Kanon again, obviously. They messed up the ending twice, you see.

On a serious note, I'd go with Yu Yu Hakusho. I'd like to see that anime with more modern looks and sound.

And Fist of the North Star. I haven't been happy with any of the newer versions of it, so I mean a recreation of the old tv series.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 02:30   Link #3
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'm definitely going to second Fist of the North Star. It'd be interesting to see what modern techniques could do for the main story.

But I'm not sure about what to say for the rest of the thread. Most of the complaints I have about something that could benefit from a current remake are technical. Sure, Legend of the Galactic Heroes would look amazing if it translated into today's animation standards, but what about everything else, such as the writing? I can't speak for anyone else, but for me a successful reinvention is about capturing what made the work what it was to a new(er) audience, as art and sound are usually irrelevant to me.

Technically speaking in the strictest sense anything beyond the past several years could benefit from a remake, but the problem is that I think the series' respective narrative could take a hit. And sometimes, said storyline might actually work better as an anachronism than a modern-day spin.

There's a lot more to this approach then making everything look pretty, IMO.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 03:44   Link #4
Azuma Denton
~AD~

My wish list??

- Ghost in the Shell first film
- Patlabor TV Series

Would love to see this oldies being revamped using latest animation technology...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 03:45   Link #5
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Space Battleship Yamato is suppose to be getting a new series or something next year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-yamato-remake

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-10-18 at 04:01.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 03:57   Link #6
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ The problem with that remake is that it's 100% CGI, so we'll be expecting eyebrows raising when they see Captain Harlock. (Same goes for that Tin-Tin CGI movie.)

Quote:
but for me a successful reinvention is about capturing what made the work what it was to a new(er) audience, as art and sound are usually irrelevant to me.
You mean a redux? Well, making a redux is a double-edged sword which is highly dependent on the screenwriter. You pull it off nicely and you get old fans and new fans enjoying the series; you screw up in the transition and you lose a lot of the old fans.

The only series that I think would be interesting to be adopted in the 2000's setting is Showa Monogatari. This time, it will be set in 2016 when they Tokyo is once again chosen to be the host of the Olympics (although Rio was the one really chosen).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 04:16   Link #7
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The CGI in the animated movie worked for the most part (the enemy ship models could have used more variety though for each race). The Live action movie is a different story (that was all CGI) as that looked sort of like a Japanese version of Battlestar Galactica (2003). It was alright as CGI has started to look good in recent years even on a TV budget. If handled by the right people. My issues with that movie were mostly on conceptual points on changes to the story and style of the Gamilons. Well, and the ending, but that's just a matter of taste and style. That type of ending isn't bad, but I liked the Final Yamato method better.

The animated movie had pacing problems, sort of a dry script, and probably by greatest issue with it was the messy soundtrack that didn't fit the scenes starting around the second half of the movie. Though it is my understanding that the guys in charge of the writing the music died before finishing the film, so that might have something to do with it. The new music director taking old classical pieces and older recording of Yamato music to make due for the most part.
Old 2011-10-18, 04:56   Link #8
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
- Ghost in the Shell first film
They've done that it's called Ghost in the Shell 2.0. Some of it looks good as per below. (although it's still a matter of personal preference as to which people like more)

While other parts, particularly the new 3DCG they decided to throw in look really out of place: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAK2PVKio0g#t=1m20s

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 10:26   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Nobody mention SDF Macross yet? I know that the original is a classic, but imagine if its fight scenes (dogfights) can be remade like Macross Zero or Frontier. It'll be divine.
Old 2011-10-18, 10:44   Link #10
Dop
Mmmm....

While Osamu Dezaki is no longer with us to helm a remake of Rose of Versailles, I reckon if you threw Kunihiko Ikuhara at it you'd have the benefit of modern animation technique and something even more camp and OTT and thoroughly 'fabulous max' than the original!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 11:47   Link #11
wontaek

1. Fruits Basket - The some of the funniest part from the Manga wasn't even animated!!

2. Legend of Galactic Heroes - Imagine how glorious those space battles can look with today's animation techinques!!!

3. Z-Gundam - They need to make 100 episode remake of this classic, where they fill in all the missing parts of the plot. Imagine seeing Char in his Golden Glory! Just imagine seeing dozens of Jegans dueling against scores of High Zaku, Marasai, and GM-IIs !!! I also suspect that 100 episode remake of this series may generate more profit for Sunrise company than many of their recent series combined.

4. Rose of Versailles - Heck! If they recreate the Versailles and other residence of that time, that alone will put them as contender of most artistic historical recreation. Imagine how much the characters and all that fancy dress could be improved and be 'updated'.

5. Star Trek, the animated Series - This series is too good to be forgotten

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tr...nimated_Series
Old 2011-10-18, 12:29   Link #12
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Nobody mention SDF Macross yet? I know that the original is a classic, but imagine if its fight scenes (dogfights) can be remade like Macross Zero or Frontier. It'll be divine.
Redo Macross 7 while yer at it.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 12:46   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Redo Macross 7 while yer at it.
Do you really want to see the updated Battroid-attacking-with-loudspeaker scenes that much? Anyway, it's a good idea. Just don't stretch it to 50 episodes like the original. While I like Fire Bomber's songs, I can't stand it when Basara singing it again...& again...& again.....(to infinity).
Old 2011-10-18, 12:50   Link #14
klare

Gundam 0079 looks like MS Igloo? Macross SDF looks like Frontier? they will surely look better and fans will be happy but i am not sure the franchise itself will benefit from remakes like these...

anyway, my list is:
- Patlabor
- Lodoss TV
- Trigun
Old 2011-10-18, 13:16   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Gundam 0079 looks like MS Igloo?
Who suggested that Gundam 0079 should be up-dated into 3D like IGLOO? MS IGLOO is awful. Good story, fine character development, but I got turned off by the characters themselves. Their expressions and gestures are exaggerated in a way that normal people won’t do it and their eyes look as dead as fish’ eyes. If only they made it into 2D anime, it’ll be a far more compelling series.

Quote:
Macross SDF looks like Frontier? they will surely look better and fans will be happy but i am not sure the franchise itself will benefit from remakes like these...
Just make SDF like DBZ Kai. Remaster the picture, add some new scenes here & there then release it as Blu-ray Disc (don't forget to promote it). Voila...instant Cash-in.

Quote:
anyway, my list is:
- Patlabor
- Lodoss TV
- Trigun
I agree with your list btw. Although Patlabor & Trigun’s originals are already fine animes. Still, plotwise, they can also be made better (especially Lodoss TV).
Old 2011-10-18, 14:29   Link #16
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
While Osamu Dezaki is no longer with us to helm a remake of Rose of Versailles, I reckon if you threw Kunihiko Ikuhara at it you'd have the benefit of modern animation technique and something even more camp and OTT and thoroughly 'fabulous max' than the original!
I don't know if even Ikuhara would let himself remake Rose of Versailles! Then again, he sorta kinda remade Oniisama e, and it was pretty darned good.

More seriously, without Dezaki, we're not going to see those dramatic still frames that so strongly characterize his shows. I don't think that anyone can fill in his shoes.
Old 2011-10-18, 14:43   Link #17
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I'd also vote for a re-make of Fruits Basket - would like to see it cover the entire (admittedly vast) story if possible.
Old 2011-10-18, 16:51   Link #18
Sun-Ku

I would be pleased with the remake of the OVA version of Macross Plus
LoGH is also fine, but would have a hard time catching viewers for the dialog heavy and 110 episode long Space Opera.

Last exile would be cool... waiiiiit there is kinda like a new version (just kidding ^^)
NGE was remastered
Old 2011-10-18, 17:28   Link #19
Fuyuno
Banned

Please reboot the You're Under Arrest franchise. The third season was forgotten because it had to compete with Gundam 00 first season and Clannad. Popularity wise, it also lose to Blue Drop, another forgotten anime.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 17:57   Link #20
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well Space Battleship Yamato is suppose to be getting a new series or something next year.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-yamato-remake
This easily tops my list of oldies that need a re-make. I find Yamato incredibly difficult to watch today with those ear-killing special effect sounds, which really highlights how one changes expectations based off experiences, since there was a time when I thought those sounds sounded great. The animation could use a reboot, but it doesn't rape my brain nearly to the extent the sound effects do.

Really, you could have a nearly endless list of old-school robot/space anime from the 70s and 80s that could use a re-make.

The first Gundam would probably be my second choice behind Yamato. That is a show who's art/audio has not aged gracefully either.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote