Notices

Old 2008-02-03, 12:42   Link #21
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
Pretty much leaning the same way that Kayin and Zaris are. looking at going for a AS in Multimedia Graphic Design ending in 2010 and then heading for a BFA Graphic Design sometime in the future. and possibly a double-major in Asian Studies.
Well, since you're still just starting out, I'll offer some advice.

1) Learn how to draw and try not to rely on Illustrator or Photoshop to design with. A lot of design firms these days are very tired of the "self-help book" generation of designers and want to see people who can sketch out thumbnails and roughs before they ever go near a computer.

2) All design has been done, and the only way to really make something "new" is with new technology. There is a famous quote by Paul Rand that goes something like "Don't try to be original, just try to be good."

3) Keep up on whats going on with design today. A lot of designers are calling for graphic design to be more rigid and strict in it's standards, mostly because there so much terrible design out there.
Old 2008-02-03, 12:51   Link #22
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
I've got 1&1/2 years till university (if i can get in), and I want to do psychology. I've got 3 cousins (all girls) who're doing psychology or already completed it. Btw, is there a general trend that more females take psychology courses?
Humm... I don't think so. It may just be your family, lol ^_^. I suppose if you look into a psychology class, that may probably tell you what you want ^^.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 15:47   Link #23
Ending

I graduated with major's in communication, IT, and business. Minors in leadership and maths. Of these I enjoyed of the leadership the most and maths the least. Wouldn't had taken maths at all if it had been voluntary.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 16:29   Link #24
Minorou
Hmm...

Send a message via AIM to Minorou Send a message via MSN to Minorou
I'm currently enrolled in Software Engineering. I can focus in either software testing or security; I believe I'll go with the latter.
Old 2008-02-03, 18:12   Link #25
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I was a computer science major for as long as I was in college.

I had many other interests, but the state of nearly every other field--from medicine to journalism to every other "hard" science--drove me into a blind rage when I considered dealing with the other, unethical people in the field. Then there was art (in any form), which I was aware would be unpleasant for me when I had to perform when I didn't feel motivated. And so I chose computer science, which I love.

Faced with lack of cash to continue in a town where there was no work and the realization that I would kill myself if I had to program for a living (I realized my motivation was much the same as art), I became a sysadmin. Those were the days before IS degrees and their ilk (and I'd still tell any one wanting to seek the sysadmin path to get a CS degree instead and teach themselves the rest--self-teaching and programming being necessary skills).

I'll return to college one day, but I've no desire for a degree. I'll be attending focused language schools in native countries starting this year, and when I'm done with that, do some studying at seminary. When I'm through, I want to study music, math, more computer-science and some pre-med classes at university. When I feel I have the time, I'd like to take the MCAT and attend medical school, but that will depend on if I have the time to do residency afterward.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 18:15   Link #26
Vestus
Pasokon-Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Vestus
I'm a Computer Science Major at University of California, Riverside. I'm thinking of going into Security (Database), Algorithms, or Assembly.
Old 2008-02-03, 18:56   Link #27
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Im in a Graphic design major right now
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 00:41   Link #28
Z3120

No clear or definite goal in mind, but I am deciding between computer science or engineering, scholar/philosophy, English major or teacher and just maybe music.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 00:41   Link #29
@nonymous

I'm in Visual Arts...yeah...pretty interesting major, if I may say!
@nonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 03:38   Link #30
Syaoran
Inactive Member

In the past I majored in Computer Science and nowadays my major is Japanese. Took Economics as minor. Looks like an interesting combination ^^
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 04:03   Link #31
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXEs View Post
I've got 1&1/2 years till university (if i can get in), and I want to do psychology. I've got 3 cousins (all girls) who're doing psychology or already completed it. Btw, is there a general trend that more females take psychology courses?
It does seem that way here. I'm a pharmacist, and basically 70% of the graduating class were females too... haha
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 08:59   Link #32
crystar
*yawns*

Aiming to major in English with a minor in Media Studies. Also getting a degree in Education at the same time so I can teach these subjects in the near future.
crystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 09:06   Link #33
kiarash

I'm studying for Civil(Construction) Engineering.
kiarash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 13:10   Link #34
siya
An Intellectual Idiot

Location: The Internet, ranging from the World of Warcraft------Deviantart----and much more!..My mostly WoW
What if I were to say I'm a famous actor who majored in pycology and computer graphics xD.....

I've been having a problem thinking of something to major in and stuffs...peoples keep telling me, "Oh, well you need to think..now!! The rest of your life depends on it!! what is it that you want to do with your life!>!@>$#RJ53gQT>__&" and go all crazy on me....Truth is, I have no idea...It's a bit scary really...knowing your on your own...and if you screw up noone is there to bail you out...So more and likely I probably wont go to colledge my first year out of high school because I wont have thought of something that I would want to do...(unless I do think of something within the next 2 and half years...-_-)
siya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 13:14   Link #35
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
You shouldn't let anybody pressure you into it. College should be the time for you to experiment. Most of my professors and the people that are in my classes went/have gone through multiple majors looking to figure out just where they want to go with their lives. You never really know until you're in the midst of it. What looked good from a distance could actually end up as shit for you. Consider your options, sure, but don't feel pressured.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 13:36   Link #36
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by siya View Post
What if I were to say I'm a famous actor who majored in pycology and computer graphics xD.....

I've been having a problem thinking of something to major in and stuffs...peoples keep telling me, "Oh, well you need to think..now!! The rest of your life depends on it!! what is it that you want to do with your life!>!@>$#RJ53gQT>__&" and go all crazy on me....Truth is, I have no idea...It's a bit scary really...knowing your on your own...and if you screw up noone is there to bail you out...So more and likely I probably wont go to colledge my first year out of high school because I wont have thought of something that I would want to do...(unless I do think of something within the next 2 and half years...-_-)
Archontic has it right.

Half the people I know (more, likely) are working in a field that is DIFFERENT from the one they majored in while attending college. This is very common, entirely without shame, and actually rather beneficial for the world at large as people bring varied experience into their fields.

My father was an oil field worker, then a psychology doctoral student, and now he's a financial advisor.
My mother started life as a housewife, moved on to be a Physical Therapy Assistant, and now manages a security business.
I started in computer science, went into "Information Systems", am moving more of my time into ministry and business as I study language, and I plan to add medicine to my list of skills later in life.
Vexx already implied that he's in a different field than he majored in while in college (and he's moving on to yet another!).

There's nothing wrong with delaying college, but being undecided about your direction usually isn't a great reason. You have a couple of years of pre-reqs to take, and the experience dabbling in various courses, whether related to a potential major or not, can make a large difference in helping you decide what path you'd like to start on. ("Start on" being the key phrase! Who knows where life will take you afterward?)

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-02-04, 16:24   Link #37
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Vexx already implied that he's in a different field than he majored in while in college (and he's moving on to yet another!).
No wonder he seems to be in every discussion and knows like ... everything.

Is there such thing as "jack-of-all-trades" major, btw?

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-04, 17:02   Link #38
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
No wonder he seems to be in every discussion and knows like ... everything.

Is there such thing as "jack-of-all-trades" major, btw?
Personally, I currently hold a BS with Hard Knocks Honors in Jack of All Trades and am seeking to enter the graduate program here at the School of Life.

Yes, our posters who are farther along in life are good proof that time and experience can be great teachers--assuming you take advantage of what they have to offer!

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Old 2008-02-05, 09:27   Link #39
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

major: computer science
submajor: adult education

I think it was right to have kept it that way.
Old 2008-02-05, 15:14   Link #40
Autumn Demon
~

I'm a senior in high school, currently applying to colleges. So far I've been accepted to Purdue and rejected from Rutgers, and am waiting on decisions from seven other schools.

I'll most likely major in computer science (I've loved programming so far) and study a lot of mathematics.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote