Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-12-15, 01:56   Link #281
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taufiq91 View Post
why would a prefectural/federal/whatever government want to regulate mangas & animes when they are unable to do things like clamping down on the Yakuzas?
You just answered your own question, right there.
Old 2010-12-15, 02:04   Link #282
ion475
にこにこにー

Sigh...as expected it pass and not even a close vote.

Main problem? Portrayal as the law as "banning extreme material" that make sense to be restricted, then, on the other hand, the true wording of the law actually restrict more stuff than the one propose previously. Of course it pass, and if you go ask popular opinion (not on 2ch, that is...), people would probably say the law should be pass rather than against it.

Quote:
If you can't deal with societal problems, you don't deserve to give judgement on anything, including stuff like mangas and animes.
Ehh...b/c it's probably easier to stir an anti-otaku sentiment?

And regulate yakuza? Yeah...right...
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 02:04   Link #283
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
Pardon my ignorance.
Np, sorry for the rant, and you didn't really deserve it
I just got frustrated because I had to explain this exact same thing like three times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Sigh...as expected it pass and not even a close vote.

Main problem? Portrayal as the law as "banning extreme material" that make sense to be restricted, then, on the other hand, the true wording of the law actually restrict more stuff than the one propose previously. Of course it pass, and if you go ask popular opinion (not on 2ch, that is...), people would probably say the law should be pass rather than against it.

Ehh...b/c it's probably easier to stir an anti-otaku sentiment?

And regulate yakuza? Yeah...right...
All in all, the law probably won't have a large impact.
The scare tactic of it will definitely screw several titles out there, and some poor titles will be made examples out of.

The catastrophe it has the potential to create most likely won't come, but its omnipresence of threat will screw with the creative writing and cause a lot of not-so-visible damage to the manga/anime medium as a whole.
Old 2010-12-15, 02:07   Link #284
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Of course it pass, and if you go ask popular opinion (not on 2ch, that is...), people would probably say the law should be pass rather than against it.
Wasn't there a petition against this law with 150.000 signatures? I don't think they really care what people want.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 02:08   Link #285
Taufiq91

Well, atleast we have three people we can rely on:

-The Prime Minister
-The Manga Publishers
-The Businessmen & Stockbrokers

Especially the third. Like i've said, This bill will never be enforcable. Even if it is, the stock holders and investors in the anime & manga industry wouldn't allow the bill to be enforcable since it would harm the economy.

Kadokawa and Shueisha has a steady flow in the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and they wouldn't let anything affect it, including this.
Old 2010-12-15, 02:11   Link #286
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Np, sorry for the rant, and you didn't really deserve it
I just got frustrated because I had to explain this exact same thing like three times.

All in all, the law probably won't have a large impact.
The scare tactic of it will definitely screw several titles out there, and some poor titles will be made examples out of.

The catastrophe it has the potential to create most likely won't come, but its omnipresence of threat will screw with the creative writing and cause a lot of not-so-visible damage to the manga/anime medium as a whole.
You are right, the whole rapelay issue was mostly buried under the dirt if Getchu's eroge catalogue shown us proof. Molestation, Netorare and humiliation still sold like hotcakes. However it did create much more hostile reaction from the Eroge Companies to foreigners (remember the ip bans)

Speaking of which, this may cause a lashout from smaller companies who blame us for the puritan influence we have on Ishihara and may be more unwilling to let us license their stuff.
Old 2010-12-15, 02:17   Link #287
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Oh, my... this certainly will be... a day that will live in infamy, for Otakus and anime industry everywhere...

Spoiler for A song this event reminds me of:

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
No angel born in hell
Could break that satan's spell.
And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite,
I saw satan laughing with delight
The day the music died

Old 2010-12-15, 02:24   Link #288
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Wasn't there a petition against this law with 150.000 signatures? I don't think they really care what people want.
I'm those people that believe that protest and petition just never work. When is the last time any government (democratic or not) actually back down on something b/c a large amount of people protest or b/c many people sign a petition? (And you wonder why young people are so disillusioned with gov't in general...)
ion475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 02:29   Link #289
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Oh, my... this certainly will be... a day that will live in infamy, for Otakus and anime industry everywhere...

Spoiler for A song this event reminds me of:

Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
No angel born in hell
Could break that satan's spell.
And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite,
I saw satan laughing with delight
The day the music died

this makes sense to the video game industry too, either way it might just fizzle ,
Old 2010-12-15, 02:32   Link #290
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
I'm those people that believe that protest and petition just never work. When is the last time any government (democratic or not) actually back down on something b/c a large amount of people protest or b/c many people sign a petition? (And you wonder why young people are so disillusioned with gov't in general...)
Well there was the recent "Fight HST" Petition which help influenced Gordon Cambell's resignation from our BC Liberal Party. His approval rating was hit so devastatingly low that he decided to call it quits before it gotten worse.

The problem is Japanese youth will mostly take it lying down since the Otaku rarely confronts the government about this. "Not my problem" is how some of the older ones feel.
Old 2010-12-15, 02:33   Link #291
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
I agree with you, but from what I have seen, Japanese people seem to value freedom of expression greatly so I doubt there's much support for this law. This is a case of scapegoating Otaku and screaming "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" until no one dares to object.
Old 2010-12-15, 02:44   Link #292
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Hearing rumors that the national government has already ruled this unconstitutional. No for sure just yet, just rumors. Don't celebrate just yet.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 02:46   Link #293
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
Hearing rumors that the national government has already ruled this unconstitutional. No for sure just yet, just rumors. Don't celebrate just yet.
http://twitter.com/applesringo/statu...6431467814913#

I didn't want to post this because I don't know how trustworthy the source is but, apparently the national government is saying that he law in unconstitutional.
Old 2010-12-15, 02:48   Link #294
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Well yeah, doesn't it violate their Article 21?

"Freedom of assembly and association as well as speech, press and all other forms of expression are guaranteed. 2) No censorship shall be maintained, nor shall the secrecy of any means of communication be violated."

A shame that some people might only be realizing this now, or at least their voices aren't being heard towards the deaf ears of certain politicians...
Old 2010-12-15, 02:49   Link #295
Simon
気持ち悪い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
Isn't that for the Supreme Court to decide, rather than the Diet?

Quote:
The Supreme Court of Japan (最高裁判所 Saikō-Saibansho; called 最高裁 Saikō-Sai for short), located in Chiyoda, Tokyo is the highest court in Japan. It has ultimate judicial authority to interpret the Japanese constitution and decide questions of national law (including local bylaws). It has the power of judicial review (that is, it can declare Acts of Diet and Local Assembly, and administrative actions, unconstitutional).
Old 2010-12-15, 02:52   Link #296
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

The point of protesting is to keep something in the public eye more and affect change of attitudes over time as opposed to getting something immediate, IMO. The strongest impact should be through disseminating actual information about the bill to many people and asking them to replace those trying to pass this when they can be voted out. I don't know what sort of restrictions there are about adding leaflets or ads against political parties in magazines, but this might be a good way to go if publishers are going to fight rather than ignore or comply.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 03:02   Link #297
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
The point of protesting is to keep something in the public eye more and affect change of attitudes over time as opposed to getting something immediate, IMO. The strongest impact should be through disseminating actual information about the bill to many people and asking them to replace those trying to pass this when they can be voted out. I don't know what sort of restrictions there are about adding leaflets or ads against political parties in magazines, but this might be a good way to go if publishers are going to fight rather than ignore or comply.
Not only that, protests... If planned by the right people and people who wield political power, can topple whole regimes, just ask president (Cory) aquino for instance. Sometimes the smallest of things can cause the biggest damages. I believe that staging a protest would set it on a national stage, and not only this. The implications of this bill don't actually only limit itself to anime per se. It actually suggests a future of denying people the freedom of expression.
Old 2010-12-15, 03:27   Link #298
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
Well there was the recent "Fight HST" Petition which help influenced Gordon Cambell's resignation from our BC Liberal Party. His approval rating was hit so devastatingly low that he decided to call it quits before it gotten worse.
Yeah, but you're still stuck with the HST are you not? I heard it would cost too much to roll it back at this point.

I agree that if enough people drop their support over something that it causes that party or politician to see a rapid decline in support, they may rally to kill something in the hopes it will save them, but the tone I get from some of the responses is that these people's approval ratings are pretty much already in the gutter, I'm not sure that they'd have much approval left to loose, or if they'd care they're loosing it at all in the first place.
Old 2010-12-15, 03:30   Link #299
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The first company that squeaks is prob going to get their head chopped off.
It's self-regulated, and furthermore, the Tokyo prefectural government does not have that kind of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Yeah, but you're still stuck with the HST are you not? I heard it would cost too much to roll it back at this point.
We're having a referendum next fall to get it repealed, which it probably will be. Democracy might actually win for once.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 03:31   Link #300
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

*If a government fails to serve the people, then the people should rid of the government*
This is the mantra behind people power. If people are really in opposition against this bill, which is by the way, a draconian law that not only hampers the right to have freedom of expression; it is a prelude to things that go along with it. i.e. (stricter regulations for TV dramas, etc. because face it, if one form of media can be exploited like this, it will not be long until the politicians can control everything)