AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-20, 20:56   Link #2541
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I dunno, Okada has ALWAYS been one to largely resolve the love polygons she sets out to make
Only the main ones. In this series that's the Hikari/Manaka thing, which will probably be the only pairing to get some resolution.
Old 2014-02-20, 22:28   Link #2542
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Only the main ones. In this series that's the Hikari/Manaka thing, which will probably be the only pairing to get some resolution.
That's a fair point. Okada resolves the main romantic conflict, and then let's other dominoes fall as they may, typically in ways that respect established characterization.

Which is why I think Tsumugu does have a chance if Hikari/Manaka becomes established, but it's certainly not something I'd bet money on.

Rather ironically, I admit, this episode showed that Chisaki might actually have some chance with Hikari if she just used some sex appeal on him, lol. This is the must clear-cut blush I can remember Hikari making towards a girl/woman, and the woman in question was Chisaki. I still don't think that Chisaki has much actual chance here, but it is interesting to think of how differently things could be if one or more of the characters were a bit more aggressive/adventurous/risk-taking.

I still think that Okada is casting a dim light on unrequited love with this show, but perhaps an even greater theme is that passivity will get you nowhere.

As for Manaka's awakening, I honestly liked the way it was handled. It was so cheesy, totally mood-breaking, and yet that's a lot of what made it so effective - The amusing contrast between that and the morose sober tone of most the episode. Manaka's awakening also makes for a great cliffhanger moment.

Miuna's heart-to-heart with Tsumugu was also a great scene, especially since we haven't seen these specific two characters interact much. That gives their shared scene here a bit of a welcomed freshness.

On the whole, a very nice episode 20. How many episodes are left now, by the way? 4? 6?
Old 2014-02-20, 22:38   Link #2543
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse A whole episode of Miuna boring me to sleep... and then Manaka wakes up on a completely (and stealing Triple_R's words here) cheesy, mood breaking fashion.

On a brighter note, Miuna's trick to stay at home brought a smile to my lips. That "I have a fever" trick's a classic... as is the parent's reaction who pretend to be fooled by it.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 23:02   Link #2544
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Well that was an interesting episode lots of talking. A few interesting elements were brought up. I enjoyed Tsumugu revealing his feelings to someone. I still believe there is a stage being set for Miuna taking Manaka's place. It would seem very anti climatic that Manaka would go back. Overall good episode, I just wish there was more Tsumugu and Chisaki They are by far the most interesting couple of all.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-20, 23:24   Link #2545
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's a fair point. Okada resolves the main romantic conflict, and then let's other dominoes fall as they may, typically in ways that respect established characterization.
The problem there is that if you're watching the show for any character not called Hikari (and maybe Manaka) you're out of luck, as everyone else is lacking on actual character development and keeps running on circles. It'd be pretty frustrating if it wasn't so pathetic it's unintentionally funny.
Old 2014-02-20, 23:58   Link #2546
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Has anyone else noticed that there has been little-to-no commentary on how the world has changed? Beforehand there was some serious doom and gloom End of Days chatter going on. Now that the ocean has frozen over and there is snow everywhere no one seems interested in talking about it. I really hope Uroko-sama (or maybe even Umi-sama himself!) explains a bit about what's going on.
Rosalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 00:26   Link #2547
Fruits Basket Fan

I think Manaka lost her ena because the Sea God could sense her unwillingness to become his bride.

Based on the story the old guy said, last episode, it is because there was someone who the maiden yearned for in the surface (possibly Hikari or just life on the surface) that the Sea God let her go.

Miuna probably gained it due to her deep love of the sea. Whether she will become the replacement or they will find the way to end this ritual remains to be seen.
Fruits Basket Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 01:36   Link #2548
ultimate_noob
Skwid Fan

Quote:
The problem there is that if you're watching the show for any character not called Hikari (and maybe Manaka) you're out of luck, as everyone else is lacking on actual character development and keeps running on circles. It'd be pretty frustrating if it wasn't so pathetic it's unintentionally funny.
This is Okada's next big hit since AnoHana. This is PA works' next big hit since Angel Beats. I doubt they will just finish it this fast. AnoHana got a movie, AB got a VN so I doubt NagiAsu won't have any sort of follow-up.
ultimate_noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 01:56   Link #2549
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate_noob View Post
This is Okada's next big hit since AnoHana.
It's not a hit. Even with the boost on sales after the second half started, it's still not doing all that well. I think it doesn't even reach the manabi line.
Old 2014-02-21, 02:09   Link #2550
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
It's not a hit. Even with the boost on sales after the second half started, it's still not doing all that well. I think it doesn't even reach the manabi line.
Actually it's crept up to almost 4K average, so it's north of the Manabi Line. Which is a remarkable comeback.

For me, this episode was 21:47 of wasted time (apart from Chisaki's "Splash" moment for the boys) followed by 13 seconds that actually mattered. If only they'd been the first 13 seconds of the episode and not the last.

Why is it that Okada Mari series seem serially plagued by this syndrome of great episodes alternating with lousy ones? It's one of the many things that make her the most frustrating writer in anime - if she simply sucked it would be simple, just don't watch. But Okada's potential - and occasional realization of it - is the perfect shot on the 18th hole that keeps us coming back despite shanking it all over the course for the rest of the day.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 03:24   Link #2551
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

I think the reaction from the boys of "Water-Glistened, Lonely Housewife Chisaki" is a normal thing that any teen or grown man would stop and admire.

If Tsumugu and the Professor were there, they would have the same reaction. A few girls would too. She doesn't realize that she's a traffic accident in the making.

They even had to cool themselves down.

Spoiler for My Prediction:
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 03:26   Link #2552
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Actually it's crept up to almost 4K average, so it's north of the Manabi Line. Which is a remarkable comeback.
4K is still far from a hit. That's all I'm saying. 5K is good, and 7K and up is a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker2k View Post

Spoiler for My Prediction:
I wish all that would happen. It won't, but I diffidently wish it would.
Old 2014-02-21, 03:31   Link #2553
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Garbage episode.

Miuna's character is pathetic. I'm basically zoning out in any scene of importance revolving her at this point. Not only do I find her role in the story nonsensically contrived, but I also find her hard to sympathize with on any level. I simply don't care about her. I could have skipped this episode with nothing lost.

I'm skeptical of the show ending well as things stand now.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 03:38   Link #2554
Arya

Quote:
And that's the bigger issue I'm betting against. The show is all about Hikari. So I'm not expecting something major here, but still a conclusive ending for all the build-up. (Still a bet in any case).
And because even considering this^^, honestly the narrative has been too consistent in the little hints and building-up of their story, starting from the first half of the first cour, to just end it incomplete.
And I pointed out Tsumugu's defensive behavior consistency to show that their story is still moving. They are distancing each other. And actually I think is what they need if they want to have a chance. I mean, their narrative is still following the path it supposed (imo) to follow. The problem is that as I said there are other things to explore yet before that.
And the next episode apparently Tsumugu will not show up, if not at the phone, even if Manaka is back. So probably the episode after that, or the one after, will give us some Tsumugu back history.
In any case on my part, in all of this stuck-ness what I see the real problem is Chisaki. Since the show is all about Hikari there's still the chance that she will never free herself from her feelings for Hikari, because well, he is Hikari. But in my opinion that would be a really poor narrative choice, given all the themes of the show.

About Hikari's fate, I'm start to think that, exactly because this show is all about Hikari, and counting how the fantasy aspects have taken over in this second cour, he will not end up with anyone. There is the possibility that he will end up sacrificing himself / taking Uroko's place. Given all his path of growth, that would make sense. Plus if Okada really want to go on with the sacrifice, I really can't see him choosing between Manaka or Miuna. So the most obvious ending would be him sacrificing in behalf of them giving his ena to Manaka.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 03:38   Link #2555
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
I wish all that would happen. It won't, but I diffidently wish it would.
Come on, Kaz.

Lighten up.

Chisaki is gonna follow your sig's words. Believe it.

The ball is in Chisaki's court. She'll make a move just like she did during the Ofunehiki.

It's gonna be glorious.

I just don't want her to be a lonely housewife anymore. It's painful to watch.

"Lovely My Angel, Chisaki-tan"
Old 2014-02-21, 03:49   Link #2556
Kazu-kun

Quote:
The ball is in Chisaki's court. She'll make a move just like she did during the Ofunehiki.
On Hikari maybe.... but no, she doesn't even have the balls for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
And I pointed out Tsumugu's defensive behavior consistency to show that their story is still moving.
It's not moving. Tsumugu has always been like that. Yes, he's self-aware enough to know his issues, but it doesn't change anything.
Old 2014-02-21, 03:53   Link #2557
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

She didn't make a move in past with Hikari back then so she won't make a move now. It would be disgusting at this point.

Chisaki did make a move though. For someone who was so reserved didn't think twice about diving in to save Tsugumu when she hesitated with Hikari in the pool.

She'll do it again in a symbolic way that Okada likes to pull. It's just a matter of time.
Old 2014-02-21, 03:55   Link #2558
Kazu-kun

Quote:
She'll do it again in a symbolic way that Okada likes to pull.
It was meaningless the first time. It'd be meaningless now.

Unless this time it actually changes things. But it wouldn't.
Old 2014-02-21, 03:58   Link #2559
sikvod00

Quote:
That's what frustrates me about this series. I assumed it would focus more evenly on the cast of friends. But then one character receives the lion's share of the development and the most meaningful screen-time at the expense of others.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-21, 04:00   Link #2560
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Okay.

I found the talk with Tsumugu and Miuna pretty meaningful with the two people who have similar love problems. I noticed when Miuna was talking about getting ena, they showed a quick shot of Tsumugu's sad face.

Tsugumu wants to see the underwater world more than anyone else. I wonder if he'll get ena too.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen