AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-07-08, 23:34   Link #641
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

anyone else have the feeling the newbie Shinigami Ryuk is talking to at the end is Light?
Old 2008-07-24, 13:37   Link #642
Bezoar10
Queen of the damned

Send a message via AIM to Bezoar10
Thats acutally possible because they say early on in the series that when the owner of the death note dies he can niether go to heven nor hell so it could be him, but then what about Light's father, mello, mello's gang, and the other Kiras?

Quote:
anyone else have the feeling the newbie Shinigami Ryuk is talking to at the end is Light?
Bezoar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 13:39   Link #643
Bezoar10
Queen of the damned

Has anyone read Death Note 13 ?

Spoiler for Death Note 13:
Old 2008-07-25, 20:22   Link #644
Aquillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezoar10 View Post
Thats acutally possible because they say early on in the series that when the owner of the death note dies he can niether go to heven nor hell so it could be him, but then what about Light's father, mello, mello's gang, and the other Kiras?
Um, did you actually read the end?
Spoiler:
Aquillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-28, 00:26   Link #645
Ja-Y-Ce
Earthling

On a very unrelated note to this thread - simply because, i do not know where to place it.

Tsugumi Ohba & Takeshi Obata will be together again with a new series called "Baku-Man" and it's starting in the Bon issue of issue 37-38.

Hmmm, wonder how's the plot like and stuff... one can only wait, i suppose.

Pls help me to move this post to the relevant one if this is the wrong thread to be posted to.
Ja-Y-Ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-16, 11:43   Link #646
Bezoar10
Queen of the damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
Um, did you actually read the end?
Spoiler:

I don't remember that, what book was that said in again?
Old 2008-08-16, 12:58   Link #647
CJL13
God of his own ego

Quote:
I don't remember that, what book was that said in again?
One of the first chapters, it's also mentioned right before
Spoiler:
CJL13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-09, 23:33   Link #648
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I'm a bit late to the party (and I haven't been to the forums in ages), but I just finished reading the manga!

Awesome from beginning to end, even the "loathed" second part, however I do have two complains. First, how they seemed to made up the rules to give Light the advantage towards the death of L, and second, which is the one that bothers me the most, is that Light basically won because the women of the series (Misa, Takada and of course Rem) are completely stupid and easily manipulated. This is from Japan so misogyny shouldn't surprise me, still, it felt so cheap. Thats probably why I ended up liking Near and Mello so much despite popular opinion, they were cheap as well, but they brought some balance.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 05:39   Link #649
Balder8472
I have a License

Light was no hero, okay his motives at the beginning were pure and nobel but he became corrupted by the power of the given to him by the deathnote.

When he started killing those FBI agents and other law enforcement officers who were after him that's the exact moment he lost his way and was seduced by his power

the way the anime and the manga ended was perfect I hope the author/artist resist the urge to cash in on the manga/anime's popularity and make a continuation or side story of deathnote.
Balder8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-23, 15:16   Link #650
Kantai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
Two things you should know:
1) Tsugumi Ooba is most likely a woman.
2) Rumors are abounding within the Japanese manga community that "Tsugumi Ooba" is just a penname of Yuuko Asami, a Shounen Jump artist responsible for such titles like "Wild Half," "Romancers" and "Jump Run." "Death Note" is supposed to be her first "gensaku"-work, which was why she changed her name to be credited as an author.
Okay but in first, this is not "Tsugumi Ooba" who wrote Death Note, but "Tsugumi Öba" and I remark a lot of mistakes in her name !
In second time, ... what 0.0 ! why "Tsugumi Öba" is would a woman ...
No ! Is wrong !
"Tsugumi" is a man who makes a super manga and he does not want to be known !
There is a lot of rumors but this not right !
Okay ! now I finish ^^ bye
And ... Sorry, I will me calm down !
Kantai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-03, 17:41   Link #651
ArrowSmith

Personally I would have liked Light to win and become emperor of the world. Then the next several volumes would deal with Light's reordering of existing institutions(governments and religion). But that would have gone away from the "battle of wits" style of DN.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-04, 21:43   Link #652
ArtOfMe

I hated Light throughout the whole series, so it was hard to really enjoy seeing his methods because I wanted him to lose. I think it would have been better if L and the original team had been kept through the whole thing, but I guess the author(s) couldn't come up with more to do with L and Light's rivalry.

I felt vindicated by the end though.

Spoiler for End of series:

It was a proper finish, for me. But I still didn't care about anything after Vol. 7.

I was happy that Matsuda was alive, though. I had really liked him through the whole thing.
ArtOfMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 11:19   Link #653
L'sLover
Ai <3

Send a message via AIM to L'sLover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post

Yea im so glad someone finally agrees with me i said that when i saw it but all my friends were like NOO that would never happen ...... and i was like well remeber humans who use the Death note neither go to Heaven nor Hell so i was like THEY MUST BECOME SHINIGAMIS!!!!!!!! they were like no i dont think so...
*sigh*
L'sLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 17:16   Link #654
Light-Yagami-Kira
Light Yagami ~ New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'sLover View Post
Yea im so glad someone finally agrees with me i said that when i saw it but all my friends were like NOO that would never happen ...... and i was like well remeber humans who use the Death note neither go to Heaven nor Hell so i was like THEY MUST BECOME SHINIGAMIS!!!!!!!! they were like no i dont think so...
*sigh*
I personally don't believe the place of Nothingness is literially a state of non-exsistance, as most would think. Ryuk told Light that he would find out all about the afterlife after he died. If Light became Nothingness, it would be impossible for him to find out about anything. For those of you who don't believe me, and think I'm just trying to be controversial, read the first Manga, page 25.

Last edited by Light-Yagami-Kira; 2009-06-09 at 16:18.
Light-Yagami-Kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 07:52   Link #655
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Quote:
Ryuk told Light that he would find out all about the afterlife after he died. If Light became Nothingness, it would be impossible for him to find out about anything. For those of you who don't believe me, and think I'm just trying to be controversial, read the first Manga, page 25.
OK, you misunderstood Ryuk's line: he didn't say anything about the "afterlife" or "after."
All he said was: "That's something you'll find out WHEN you die."
Besides adding a creepy mood to an already dark story, that line foreshadows "Mu" ("Nothingness") later on, and implies that NOTHINGNESS is much more terrifying than "Heaven" or "Hell", so actually that's something no human would look forward to "find out" because more or less we all are afraid of death, or rather, afraid of the UNKNOWN (Nothingness).

Quote:
If Heaven and Hell are completely disqualified, then where else would Light go?
Nowhere. Heaven/hell are just religious imaginations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
Um, did you actually read the end? No humans go to heaven or hell, because in Death Note they don't exist. Ryuk said that all humans are exactly the same in death... in that they are completely destroyed. There's no afterlife or anything like that in the Death Note universe. Light is simply gone, just like everyone else who dies.
Correct.
The series (as well as author's interviews) made it very clear that "After death, the place you'll go to is 'Nothingness' ". It's a way of saying that Everything (consciousness, memories, perceptions...) ends when one dies. The two BLACK pages after Light died further reinforced this idea.

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-06-09 at 12:02.
Tenken's Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-09, 15:55   Link #656
Light-Yagami-Kira
Light Yagami ~ New World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenken's Smile View Post
OK, you misunderstood Ryuk's line: he didn't say anything about the "afterlife" or "after."
You clearly have a different definition of "afterlife" than I do. And yes Ryuk was talking about "after" Light dies when he said the word "when". It actually means the same thing.

Last edited by Light-Yagami-Kira; 2009-06-09 at 16:33.
Light-Yagami-Kira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 06:16   Link #657
KimmyChan

I loved reading the Death Note manga series from volumes 1-12

It kept me absolutely gripped from start to finish
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-24, 11:06   Link #658
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Quote:
Has anyone read Death Note 13 ?

Spoiler for Death Note 13:
Ah, I bet you were confused. The extra chapter in Vol. 13 actually is a pilot chapter (a "prequel") to this series. That's when the author first came up with the idea of a Death Note, so there were things you won't see in the actual serialization, such as a Death Note eraser.
Old 2009-10-16, 23:59   Link #659
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Ok just read the volume 13 out in France, it's really good! There are some interview with Ohba and Obata, we learn a lot of things, it's very interesting.
Well Ohba is a bit strange: he never go out, he doesn't want to see the guy who work with him, he is afraid of crowd, he does nothing but dream .

Oh and there is a L Lawliet brillant card .
Old 2009-10-17, 09:23   Link #660
Bon~

I love Death Note
it's so interesting and it was really unique
but sometimes when Raito plans something, it's always so confusing @_@
haha, but netherless the manga is amazing~
Bon~ is offline   Reply With Quote