AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-30, 18:22   Link #2081
Sumeragi
Banned

He can't be talking about bloomers, can he?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 18:26   Link #2082
Zakoo

He certainly is. Aside a few exceptions, most anime have girls wearing bloomers.

For an unknown reason, japenese ones are really short. Though it changed recently for a certain reason I believe.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 18:52   Link #2083
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I'm having a hard time imagining bloomer-wearing fishermen here...
Mystery pantsu!
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-30, 20:12   Link #2084
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The reason for getting rid of them were so retarded.
They found loli otaku taking interest to them as pedophilia and wished to "shield" the young ones from predator eyes.

So they replaced bloomers with skin-tight sportswear that clearly shows the shape of bodylines beter.

UH-HUH. That accomplished exactly the opposite of what they were going for, didn't it.

I swear, the PTAs of Japan are even more retarded than PTA soccer moms of US. As if that was even possible.
Old 2012-01-30, 21:48   Link #2085
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The reason for getting rid of them were so retarded.
They found loli otaku taking interest to them as pedophilia and wished to "shield" the young ones from predator eyes.

So they replaced bloomers with skin-tight sportswear that clearly shows the shape of bodylines beter.

UH-HUH. That accomplished exactly the opposite of what they were going for, didn't it.

I swear, the PTAs of Japan are even more retarded than PTA soccer moms of US. As if that was even possible.
"soccer mom" retardation is a universal problem... the stuff that came out of the mouths of fellow parents when we'd volunteer at high school was just dumbfounding.
Old 2012-02-02, 10:03   Link #2086
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
"soccer mom" retardation is a universal problem... the stuff that came out of the mouths of fellow parents when we'd volunteer at high school was just dumbfounding.
I just recently had a run in with a soccer mom because I commented on my nephew's facebook account and apparently the comment was not good enough for her.
Things like that make me glad that I dont have kids to worry about myself.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 16:01   Link #2087
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

We still have not solved the riddle of the mystery pantsu yet (mainly due to the one asking being permanently absent)...
BUT for this
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Why do some anime characters yell "Potemkin".
I have found this:

So in Carnival Phantasm-beachvollyball you have to scream POTEMKIN when serving a ball...

...wait a sec...

Ahh.. screw you.
But as for why some anime characters yell "Potemkin": It's clearly the blue-haired girl's fault.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 21:58   Link #2088
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

With Risk, Japanese City Takes On Once Accepted Fact of Life: Its Gangsters

Quote:
Since [Kitakyushu] and other local governments beefed up regulations to take on the yakuza — making it a criminal offense for companies and individuals to do business with them — there has been a death threat against Kitakyushu’s mayor and his family, hand grenades tossed at the homes of corporate executives and a construction company chairman gunned down in front of his wife.

The yakuza remain a remarkably visible presence in Japan, as they have been for centuries. But law enforcement officials say the violence in Kitakyushu may prove a turning point, by shocking a public that has become increasingly fed up.

Any romantic aura that may have enveloped the gangsters in the past is falling away, the authorities say. They added that the Japanese increasingly see the yakuza simply as mobsters much like their counterparts in other countries, making money from drugs, gambling and extortion, particularly from their favorite target, Japan’s bloated construction industry.

“People are now seeing the reality that the yakuza are not chivalrous, but just an antisocial force,” said Kitakyushu’s mayor, Kenji Kitahashi, who said he was not intimidated by the death threat. He said the violence had turned many residents against the yakuza for hurting this former steel-making city’s efforts to lure new investment and jobs.
Hand grenades aren't what I would consider a "chivalrous" weapon. Now maybe that katana that Gin-san wielded in Black Lagoon might qualify, but grenades?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 22:11   Link #2089
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
With Risk, Japanese City Takes On Once Accepted Fact of Life: Its Gangsters

Hand grenades aren't what I would consider a "chivalrous" weapon. Now maybe that katana that Gin-san wielded in Black Lagoon might qualify, but grenades?
Is a weapon ever really 'chivalrous'?

I do hope the Japanese know they won't ever fully rid their country of the yakuza, just as their counterparts were never eliminated.
Old 2012-02-02, 22:18   Link #2090
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

On a much lighter note ---- I can never get enough "twin tail" hairstyle, and we've now got a Japanese website worshiping the style:

http://twintail-japan.com/

Old 2012-02-03, 00:57   Link #2091
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
I honestly don't understand what the problem is.

You are a person with a certain taste of music. You choose to listen to the music you like. You ignore the music you don't like.
If you don't like K-pop, you don't watch K-pop shows.
If some broadcaster always shows K-pop and you hate K-pop I know of a program that you might want to delete from your TV set.
There, problem solved. No reason to go all hating and xenophobic on them.

speaking of k-pop...

k-pop now has something to brag over j-pop...

k-pop's finally getting MAINSTREAM coverage on American terrestrial TV!!!

japan had a head start with this azn pop thing like 2 decades ago but they;ve never breached the american airwaves!

flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 09:53   Link #2092
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

They'll certainly get some exposure there.

I do wonder, I certainly see evidence of K-Pop becoming more popular in Europe and America, but I actually haven't seen much in my day to day life.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:17   Link #2093
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

What will be hard for US audiences is the sheer number of group members. At some point it starts to look like a fetish version of those huge American Idol groups that usually translate to less talent per square foot. Quote from someone I was talking to about it today: "It was a little bland but cute and sexy... but why are there so many of them in the group?"
Old 2012-02-03, 14:01   Link #2094
Paranoid Android
Underweight Food Hoarder

Send a message via MSN to Paranoid Android
Yeah I can't tell anyone apart from SNSD or super junior. Except that chubby guy. He is awesome. My friends love him whoever he is.

I don't know why, I always disliked twin tails. I'm always a pony tail person.
Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 02:11   Link #2095
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
speaking of k-pop...

k-pop now has something to brag over j-pop...

k-pop's finally getting MAINSTREAM coverage on American terrestrial TV!!!

japan had a head start with this azn pop thing like 2 decades ago but they;ve never breached the american airwaves!

Maybe because Japan has always been rather inclusive bunch. Idol groups like HP! have an extremely loyal fanbase in Japan who would hate to see their special club have to include foreigners. Unlike Korea, Japan is getting more closed in against it's better judgement and instead of trying to stop the Korean Wave.
Old 2012-02-04, 10:07   Link #2096
solomon

If it ain't American, it isn't selling.......not in mass numbers.

I'm an anime nut and East Asian Studies major, but not even I am into the whole idol scene. There are as many as there are blades of grass, pop music is pop and frankly some aspects of the fandom just creep me out.

Anyways, interesting the about face on the gangsters. I guess those romanticized 60s movies have lost their charm...
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 10:27   Link #2097
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
If it ain't American, it isn't selling.......not in mass numbers.

I'm an anime nut and East Asian Studies major, but not even I am into the whole idol scene. There are as many as there are blades of grass, pop music is pop and frankly some aspects of the fandom just creep me out.

Anyways, interesting the about face on the gangsters. I guess those romanticized 60s movies have lost their charm...
I think "Asian fandom" (or whatever you want to call it) has branched out a lot. For one thing, look at all the girls who are into Dramas...

And if you go to an Anime con, they often have a concert by a band that has nothing to do with anime at all!
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 11:04   Link #2098
solomon

Oh no it exists, but I'm just saying.....that band was on Letterman?

Letterman exists at the core of mainstream, this Asian pop stuff is at best at the fringes. I don't expect that to change as long as the US is number one in entertainment production.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 12:21   Link #2099
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Oh no it exists, but I'm just saying.....that band was on Letterman?

Letterman exists at the core of mainstream, this Asian pop stuff is at best at the fringes. I don't expect that to change as long as the US is number one in entertainment production.
Someone had serious connections to get that group onto Letterman (and he does tend to like to bring in risky new ideas for US viewers). You can kind of tell that the audience didn't know what to make of them (nor did the guest Regis). The other guest Bill Murray has spent enough time in Japan though... heh
Old 2012-02-04, 22:33   Link #2100
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I have a question for the Japanese natives and speakers here. It comes from a comment made by one of my college classmates about learning Japanese:

Quote:
I was very surprised to learn on a recent trip to Turkey, that Japanese learn Turkish very easily--and vice versa, supposedly because of a common root language. I saw this in action several times in tour groups, with obvious Turks speaking what appeared to be fluent Japanese, and occasionally Japanese tourists listening attentively to Turkish speaking guide.

Personally I found Turkish to be incomprehensible and even basic hello, goodbye, and numbers to be extremely hard to articulate and remember..not only in comparison to European languages but also Swahili and d'Luo, and maybe even Chinese.
What root language could Japanese and Turkish possibly have in common? A later comment mentioned that "funny gaijin" characters in Japanese theatrical performances were portrayed by Turkish actors. Is there any basis to these notions?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture