AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 12 [FINALE] Rating
Perfect 10 80 41.03%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 22 11.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 2.05%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.51%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.05%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.54%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.51%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-20, 11:45   Link #201
Starlight

I loved it, 9/10
Great to see the series ending with Yui as it started! I loved the insert songs as well. Wish they played My Love is a Stapler though.
Sawa-chan and Azusa rocked!
Old 2009-06-20, 12:06   Link #202
slayer545-sama
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
This. I agree completely. However small a change, Yui, as a character did accomplish it. All the people who complain about no character development should pay more attention. It's not much, she's basically still the same person, but she has found a "calling", if you will. It may not be what many expected, but hey, that's life.

Absolutely adorable ending to an adorable series. Hope for more, soon - and, hey, we're getting more next week already!
Does it include being a lesbian by suggesting to Azusa to make out at one point until being hit on the head????
Old 2009-06-20, 12:11   Link #203
RhapsodyInBlue
lolwut?

I just watched the episode and I was completely disappointed.
I really had high hopes for this 'finale'. I even said to my friend the other day, "I think this episode will redeem the failure of K-On." I was absolutely wrong, this episode was just lackluster for me. Anyway, here's some of my thoughts of this episode:

I liked:
- Ui disguising as Yui is probably my favorite scene in this.I haven't read this part of the manga so I was really surprised that they look completely the same. It was really funny that Sawa-chan differentiated them because of their breast sizes.

Some of the things I did not like:
- The songs. After reading the last 10 pages of this thread, most of you were expecting the OP or ED song lol but KyoAni gave us another mediocre performance. The first song was just average but they failed me since they recycled Fuwa Fuwa Time as the second song with only the vocals being different. I mean, they could have used Tsubasa wo Kudasai. The song perfectly fits with Yui's flashback since the song was also used during the first episode (only a different version).
- The animation in the performance was really awkward especially Mio and Yui's singing. Yes, I know many people have pointed this out already. I know they are trying to make us feel that they exerted some effort in the animation but I think they went a little overboard.
- Yui's flashback could have been epic if we only saw the character development throughout the series.

6/10

Based on the episode preview, I think the next episode will just contain the usual crap... No music, just moe and overused jokes...
Old 2009-06-20, 12:12   Link #204
tsunade666

I love the ending 10/10

but maybe I'm expecting better for the ending. But still I'm fine with it.
Though its really the end......
Well and extra episode is good.
its just that when azu-nya shows up its nearly the end already. no more moe azu-nya
Old 2009-06-20, 12:17   Link #205
Child_of_Sierra

9/10 !!
Yui's monologue towards the end juxtaposed with a similar "running to school" scene from the first episode was a nice way to sum up the series.

The rest of the episode was fun to watch with the exception of the weird singing in the concert. (I attribute this more to a style taken than an unintentional error on the animators part but it was still jarring considering the show's usual facial styles.)
Old 2009-06-20, 12:33   Link #206
lelangir

continuous cop-out of actual performing of music was annoying
Old 2009-06-20, 13:11   Link #207
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

I'm quite aware of the (high?) expectations particularly for this episode, so when those weren't showing and we get this from Yui: "But here.... where we are, here now in this auditorium... this is [SPARTAAA!!!] our Budokan." I said to myself, oh dear, there will be a mess in AS--and lo and behold!

Anyway, some quick reactions...

I actually didn't notice those deformed lips. What got my attention was the recycled scenes. But oh well, since I could mentally play it as Yui rushing to school (with guitar), I could focus on her monologue and I find it awww.

Is Sawako really that good? She filled in at the last minute and managed to sound fine. I find that her time in the music room was primarily for tea, but perhaps listening to the band practice was more than enough for her to figure out the songs.

Why is Azusa particularly worked up with the problems leading up to the performance? Because it's her first public performance with the band.

Backs facing the audience? I see this all the time with amateurs. And then they'll dramatically turn around at some point. Yeah that, or maybe it's just the animators cheating again, for the lulz.
Old 2009-06-20, 13:48   Link #208
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I hope people remember that while I'm able to see the technical merits and demerits of a show as much as the next person, when I rate a show I do it mostly for the emotional involvement I feel with the show. As long as a demerit does not makes me detract from my enjoyment of a series I won't pay it much attention. As long as a merit doesn't make me feel more involved into the series I will disregard it as superflous.

As such, while I will certainly accept that this is probably KyoAni's weakest series so far, by itself the series did managed to string a chord during its final episode, specially during the last segment. And, taking into account what I just said in the last paragraph, that's pretty much enough to make me feel satisfied. Does that makes me easy to satisfy? Probably. It also means that probably I'll have a healthier liver than many the naysayers during my old age

That is not to say the series is without its flaws, and I understand where people come from where they say those flaws made their enjoyment of the series go in free fall. It varies with every person. Those flaws where never significant for me, when contrasted with the series up points. That's as simple as I can put it.

"So Proto, what are you trying to accomplish with sucb a wishy washy review?"

Dunno really, probably I just want to share my enjoyment or something. Many people often view other's people opinions in boards or review sites in order to see if a series is worth watching. Possibly I just want to provide a counter wieight to all the negativism everyone seems to be throwing around.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-06-20 at 14:10.
Old 2009-06-20, 15:13   Link #209
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

As such, while I will certainly accept that this is probably KyoAni's weakest series so far,
Wrong. There is Munto.

Overall, I liked K-on way better than Lucky Star, and I am talking about a series I liked back in its day; perhaps the absence of references made it so.
Compared to Aria, K-on is dwarfed, compared to Beck, it's clearly weaker. But does it stand fine on its own legs? Yes. Is it really the Antichrist of anime crafted by cynical corporate executives as some people made it to be? HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH wow.
Old 2009-06-20, 15:26   Link #210
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I wouldn't go that far. You can fall asleep by watching Aria because it's so relaxing. K-On! keeps you awake.

I pretty much prefer K-On! to Aria.

K-On! did what it was suppose to do. Showing girls having fun in high school as members of a light music club. It never once tried to be Beck as those characters were wanting to be professionals from the start.

It's like a lighter version of Linda Linda Linda without the "kicking a member off the band" or boyfriend emo moments. And yes, in that movie, all that work was for 1 song IIRC. In fact, doesn't this PV look familiar?

Last edited by orion; 2009-06-20 at 15:40.
Old 2009-06-20, 15:41   Link #211
TheBigN
Piercing heavens with ~s
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheBigN Send a message via MSN to TheBigN Send a message via Yahoo to TheBigN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelangir View Post
continuous cop-out of actual performing of music was annoying
Is it wrong of me to say that I didn't really mind the lack of actually seeing the band perform? :P

Drastic My Anime Blog- My anime blog.
Old 2009-06-20, 15:43   Link #212
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigN View Post
Is it wrong of me to say that I didn't really mind the lack of actually seeing the band perform? :P
Not really, that's just people's misconception that it was supposed to be a music anime.

And +1 for preferring K-ON to Aria. Then again, I prefer anything except things like Berserk to Aria.
Old 2009-06-20, 16:25   Link #213
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Not really, that's just people's misconception that it was supposed to be a music anime.

And +1 for preferring K-ON to Aria. Then again, I prefer anything except things like Berserk to Aria.
Misconception? That was the selling point of the series for a lot of people. People thought they were going to see a band peform all the time like a very famous Haruhi episode. The first episode showed the girls play a little, and had agood OP & ED. If the expectations that this series built were "wrong" at all, it is the fault of KyoAni and how they originally presented the series.
Old 2009-06-20, 16:29   Link #214
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I saw the premise and didn't expect that. It was just those people who saw Haruhi that had those expectations. In this economy, I think that they were expecting too much.
Old 2009-06-20, 16:33   Link #215
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I saw the premise and didn't expect that. It was just those people who saw Haruhi that had those expectations. In this economy, I think that they were expecting too much.
Well, even people who saw Haruhi may not have expected that. I did expect some music scenes (which we got), but the emphasis of the early episodes was definitely not on the music -- it was on the girls themselves. But all in all, I agree -- we knew it was a slice-of-life 4-koma being adapted by the Lucky Star team, so I figured it wouldn't be terribly plot-heavy. Maybe it's just about doing a bit of research on the source material?
Old 2009-06-20, 16:36   Link #216
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Misconception? That was the selling point of the series for a lot of people. People thought they were going to see a band peform all the time like a very famous Haruhi episode. The first episode showed the girls play a little, and had agood OP & ED. If the expectations that this series built were "wrong" at all, it is the fault of KyoAni and how they originally presented the series.
I think it should have been obvious after 3-4 eps that they weren't going to perform that much or that music wasn't the real focus. If people couldn't see what's in front of their eyes (ONE performance in the middle of the series and no more than hinting about music, bands, theory, etc etc), I don't really see how's KyoAni's problem. Clinging to hope in a 12episode series when you've seen half... well, it's just clinging to hope... It's like watching Suzuka for sports O_o.
Old 2009-06-20, 16:44   Link #217
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Music was always just going to be the medium they used for the character interactions. You only needed to have looked at the source material to realize this from the start.

I did enjoy the actual music of K-On! but the best parts were always the interactions of the characters.

I was waiting to see the scene when Ui disguises herself as Yui animated from day one.

The ending was sweet and like most I would have preferred to see the girls performing either the OP or ED songs. Cagayake! GIRLS would have been awesome...

<3 Yui.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
Old 2009-06-20, 16:49   Link #218
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Maybe it's just about doing a bit of research on the source material?
Apparently taking 10 mins to read 4komas to know what to expect is too much time already.
Old 2009-06-20, 16:53   Link #219
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

I still think that any source material is irrelevant. When you adapt something, you have to make it so that the source material is non needed and that the medium is purely self-contained. Anything else is a failure of adaptation.

K-ON did NOT need the 4koma though. I'm not sure where people got their expectations from but I bet it basically falls into one of these reasons: Kyoani, Kyoani, Haruhi, Kyoani, Haruhi. Oh, and the overhype because of those reasons.
Old 2009-06-20, 17:13   Link #220
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I think it should have been obvious after 3-4 eps that they weren't going to perform that much or that music wasn't the real focus. If people couldn't see what's in front of their eyes (ONE performance in the middle of the series and no more than hinting about music, bands, theory, etc etc), I don't really see how's KyoAni's problem. Clinging to hope in a 12episode series when you've seen half... well, it's just clinging to hope... It's like watching Suzuka for sports O_o.
Oh, I'm not doubting that. I didn't cling on to false hope. I adjusted my expectations, but as Kaoshin pointed out, they attempted twice in the series to go to what many others expected, only to fall back on the moe afterwards. It was a haphazard attempt at trying to accomplish both (And this series could have easily been adapted to accomplish both goals) and the proof for me was the last couple of episodes (Specifically Yui's running scene). It just comes off as being a poor effort, and I will criticize it for this.
Closed Thread