AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-05-24, 22:23   Link #681
robertness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Massugu de GO! ... Sorry, I just love that.

Tsukasa has been the most challenging one for me to draw in different styles... I tried ARIA style (she'd be from Orange Planet, of course ), then I also tried to "Flonne-ize" Tsukasa (anyone here a Disgaea fan?), but that didn't work... I think it's because Tsukasa has such a generic look to her that she isn't recognizeable anymore if she's done in a different style unless she's colored or is wearing the clothes she wears in L*S. By comparison, Kona is really easy to spot in different styles - she's got that mole and the cowlick, plus the ankle-long hair.

I'll post what I've done of Tsukasa (later) to show you what I mean... you won't recognize her.

As for what's difficult... I find girl-hands and breasts to be a breeze compared to drawing GUYS. Guys have bigger hands and a bigger body all around... the shape of the arms and legs are the same, yet different... *sniff* I phail at guys.
I'm a Disgaea fan who'd love to see your Tsukasa as Flonne sketch. It may require an attempt at Etona-izing Kagami for balance...

You're not the only one that has trouble drawing guys. The difficulty of drawing a guy who looks good, shows a range of emotions, and poses well is why Disney's princes were such dweebs for many decades.
robertness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 22:57   Link #682
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
lol OK. Actually I did do a Kagami in Etna-gear... it's too bad she turned out looking like a whore. You can actually see a bit of her tail in the Tsukasa-is-Flonne scan. Ah... I thought I scanned the ARIA Tsukasa one but I can't seem to find it...

I've figured out how to get the scans to come out a little better... some of them still look terrible though. Sorry about this.

Spoiler for This doesn't look like Tsukasa T_T:
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 22:58   Link #683
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
As for what's difficult... I find girl-hands and breasts to be a breeze compared to drawing GUYS. Guys have bigger hands and a bigger body all around... the shape of the arms and legs are the same, yet different... *sniff* I phail at guys.
It's very common for men to have trouble drawing women and for women to have trouble drawing men.

I think it's because our hard-wired inclination to be effected by the appearance of the opposite sex has a subtle effect on our learned artistic ability to see things as they are rather than as we interpret them.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 23:06   Link #684
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
lol OK. Actually I did do a Kagami in Etna-gear... it's too bad she turned out looking like a whore. You can actually see a bit of her tail in the Tsukasa-is-Flonne scan. Ah... I thought I scanned the ARIA Tsukasa one but I can't seem to find it...

I've figured out how to get the scans to come out a little better... some of them still look terrible though. Sorry about this.

Meido Kagami is pretty cute (yeah, I'd love to see an "Etona-ized" Kagami
I liked the picture of Kona teasing Kagami about the twintails though its pretty sketchy...

The hair shading and definition is excellent but it looks like some of the faces are giving you a bit of hell.
Old 2007-05-24, 23:20   Link #685
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Meido Kagami is pretty cute (yeah, I'd love to see an "Etona-ized" Kagami
I liked the picture of Kona teasing Kagami about the twintails though its pretty sketchy...

The hair shading and definition is excellent but it looks like some of the faces are giving you a bit of hell.
Whoa! Another Disgaea fan! *cheers* I'll try again with Etna-Kagami sometime this week (I'll have *plenty* of time after tomorrow - summer break woo hoo!).

This was my first attempt at shading, so I'm really pleased. I figure I need to do something extra since I can't color. (Back to kindergarten for me eh?)

The only one of the faces that's really in my style is the Tsukasa one (you can always tell because I put a tiny space in the cheek and the chin lol)... The Kona ones are the faces I usually do for chibi characters, so it was weird using it on a non-chibified char! Which faces in particular are giving you a hellish vibe? I'll go back and re-do them.
Old 2007-05-25, 00:22   Link #686
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

And Lucky*Star fanart you shall have.

So here's a Konata in a way she's never supposed to look. I guess thinking of her in different dimensions makes her somewhat more attractive to me than she usually is. You know...how she might hide a different side of her own. I didn't do this one very well, but I'm not messing with it much further.

The Melancholy of Izumi Konata
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 00:39   Link #687
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
And Lucky*Star fanart you shall have.

So here's a Konata in a way she's never supposed to look. I guess thinking of her in different dimensions makes her somewhat more attractive to me than she usually is. You know...how she might hide a different side of her own. I didn't do this one very well, but I'm not messing with it much further.

Woo! Yeah, it's so weird seeing Kona serious and, well, *melancholy*. I like the detail you added to the jacket, and that you added a scarf. I like that you added in shading as well... even for her forehead (that's one part I often forget). I'd say just watch out for Kona's hairline...
Old 2007-05-25, 00:41   Link #688
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
"Sold out...... I was too late..."
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 01:02   Link #689
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Whoa! Another Disgaea fan! *cheers* I'll try again with Etna-Kagami sometime this week (I'll have *plenty* of time after tomorrow - summer break woo hoo!).

This was my first attempt at shading, so I'm really pleased. I figure I need to do something extra since I can't color. (Back to kindergarten for me eh?)

The only one of the faces that's really in my style is the Tsukasa one (you can always tell because I put a tiny space in the cheek and the chin lol)... The Kona ones are the faces I usually do for chibi characters, so it was weird using it on a non-chibified char! Which faces in particular are giving you a hellish vibe? I'll go back and re-do them.
The center two Kona sketches... the face just looks ... wrongly chibi (unlike that first one you posted).
Old 2007-05-25, 01:19   Link #690
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
The center two Kona sketches... the face just looks ... wrongly chibi (unlike that first one you posted).
Eep! I had a feeling it'd be those two... because of all the shading, if I went in and re-did the head, it'd look really weird... So I'll try to make *new* Kona drawings with nicer faces. (Tonight Robertness convinced me to do a Laharl-Kona pic... I have no idea how that's going to turn out.)
Old 2007-05-25, 01:40   Link #691
ClowKusanagi
Face emo change!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
It's very common for men to have trouble drawing women and for women to have trouble drawing men.

I think it's because our hard-wired inclination to be effected by the appearance of the opposite sex has a subtle effect on our learned artistic ability to see things as they are rather than as we interpret them.
Haha, that's what happened to me when I started drawing anime, I can't seem to draw girls, at all. They always ends up looking like a feminine guys... urgh. Good times...

However lately, I seems to forget how to draw manly guys, since... for the last 1 year, I concentrated on drawing girls, which makes me 'forget' how to draw man

Quote:

Those were nice, I must say , although Fionne Tsukasa is...

Quote:
I find drawing hands, guys or girls, is extremely difficult for some reason
And also, I phail at drawing POSE.
ClowKusanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 01:52   Link #692
pariah164
Stand By, Ready, Set Up

Send a message via AIM to pariah164 Send a message via MSN to pariah164 Send a message via Yahoo to pariah164
Yes, I'm at it again. Kagami sketch.

Spoiler for Kagami Sketch ><:

I know a lot of stuff needs working on, but I like to share all the same.
pariah164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 02:04   Link #693
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Thanks for posting your art! That's a neat pose you've got Kagami in. One of the first things you might want to consider is drawing her in a light blue pencil first, then outlining your drawing in regular pencil. It would cut down on all the skritchy-ness and it'd be no problem if you were to mess up your initial light-blue sketch. Otherwise.. great job.
Old 2007-05-25, 02:09   Link #694
pariah164
Stand By, Ready, Set Up

Send a message via AIM to pariah164 Send a message via MSN to pariah164 Send a message via Yahoo to pariah164
Quote:
Thanks for posting your art! That's a neat pose you've got Kagami in. One of the first things you might want to consider is drawing her in a light blue pencil first, then outlining your drawing in regular pencil. It would cut down on all the skritchy-ness and it'd be no problem if you were to mess up your initial light-blue sketch. Otherwise.. great job.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is it a special type of pencil, this light blue one? Like, used for drafting and whatnot? I used the burn tool in photoshop to enhance some of the pencil lines; most of them ended up really light due to the scanning.
Old 2007-05-25, 02:26   Link #695
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah164 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Is it a special type of pencil, this light blue one? Like, used for drafting and whatnot? I used the burn tool in photoshop to enhance some of the pencil lines; most of them ended up really light due to the scanning.
I meant just a cheap regular colored pencil.. though if you have photoshop, there's no need - you can change everything to light blue and redraw lines right in it. (Though if you suck at using photoshop like me, maybe it'd be better to use the pencil. )

I've been using a special *sketchy* pencil.. I use four of them for all my sketches - 4H, H, B, and 4B. If you use a 4H pencil, the lead is hard and it comes out very light (and 4B is soft and comes out very dark), so alternatively you could use that instead of a light blue pencil... I just thought it'd be cheaper to get the colored pencil.
Old 2007-05-25, 02:30   Link #696
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The nice thing about the blue pencil is that the scanners completely miss it (even if it isn't an official "scanner invisible" pencil --- it makes it easier to 'photoshop' it away).
So you can be as sketchy as you like, pick the best lines for actually penciling in (or even inking) and then the scanner just picks up that.
Old 2007-05-25, 02:33   Link #697
pariah164
Stand By, Ready, Set Up

Quote:
The nice thing about the blue pencil is that the scanners completely miss it (even if it isn't an official "scanner invisible" pencil --- it makes it easier to 'photoshop' it away).
So you can be as sketchy as you like, pick the best lines for actually penciling in (or even inking) and then the scanner just picks up that.
Oh, I know... But the whole issue with me is that I like my finished arts as clean as they look when they scan. I ink the art, let it dry, then erase it all with white eraser.
Old 2007-05-25, 02:39   Link #698
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
...Why did you give up drawing? I'm surprised, but maybe it's not so unusual for a seemingly non-artsy person to know this anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah164 View Post
Oh, I know... But the whole issue with me is that I like my finished arts as clean as they look when they scan. I ink the art, let it dry, then erase it all with white eraser.
Aah inking makes everything look better... unless I'm the one doing the inking. Three? Maybe five? years ago I was into inking everything and then erasing the pencil just like what you described, but that was until I realized I'll *never* get good at it. Many an ink blot has ruined my drawings.
Old 2007-05-25, 02:50   Link #699
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have a finite amount of time in the week (like all of us )... I had to pick and choose my hobbies in order to fit in a career, marriage, and especially kids. Drawing just kept getting left out. My creative muses were satisfied with software development and medieval crafts for a long time, then home improvement projects. But otherwise, I've been volunteering at my kid's school to support math, sciences, debate, japanese language ... I've probably restarted my "sketching skills" 3 or 4 times now in my life. Perhaps I'll try again in a couple of years after #2 son leaves for college but right now time I'd use for drawing is being devoted to learning to read/write/speak japanese ( I do have some calligraphy brushes that I use to mangle kanji with ).
Old 2007-05-25, 02:51   Link #700
pariah164
Stand By, Ready, Set Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa
Aah inking makes everything look better... unless I'm the one doing the inking. Three? Maybe five? years ago I was into inking everything and then erasing the pencil just like what you described, but that was until I realized I'll *never* get good at it. Many an ink blot has ruined my drawings.
I use Sakura Pigma Microns, so I rarely have to worry about ink blots. I just have to make sure that the ink has a good few hours to dry before I start heavy erasing, or it smears.

Tags
images