AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2009-03-26, 21:55   Link #61
Haruyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3htr0LL View Post
All actors have duds... but of the memorable movies will smith has done, I prefer his "acting" to keanu reaves, he has more than one facial expression for every damn scene in a movie. Plus atleast he didn't butcher a classic movie into complete oblivion, cough the day the earth stood still cough....
Nice use of strawman... too bad you can't formulate anything better in that retort...
I don't see you suggesting anyone else to play Spike though.
Old 2009-03-26, 21:58   Link #62
t3htr0LL
Banned

Eh, I just want some body who can capture spike's cool aura, which keanu reaves could do but also give him the depth that he has as a character, but also his quirky funny, mulitsided character. Bebop and Champloo both are amazing in how deep their characters are, and I just feel with one faced keanu just can't pull off it, I really don't care who they get, they could grab this guy off the street, as long as the person can capture spikes presence his character than I'm fine and I deem keanu not capable of this feat.
t3htr0LL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-26, 22:08   Link #63
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3htr0LL View Post
All actors have duds... but of the memorable movies will smith has done, I prefer his "acting" to keanu reaves, he has more than one facial expression for every damn scene in a movie. Plus atleast he didn't butcher a classic movie into complete oblivion, cough the day the earth stood still cough....
Nice use of strawman... too bad you can't formulate anything better in that retort...

^Are you serious? I'm not trying to seriously retort what is obviously an overkill of personal opinion about Keeanu Reeves...You got an opinion that's quite stronger than my own, but if you scroll back a few pages you'll see that I slightly agree with some of your points, but if you wanna drag Will Smith into the debate (The black Tom Cruise) then I'm gonna look at you like a smilicon that hasn't been invented yet...Not that Will Smith sucks to the heavens (he's a movie star and is generally funny), but if you wanna use that as supreme reasoning verses Keeanu Reeves I'll leave you amongst the sugarcane fields with that strawman you speak of...If your fav ACTOR is Will Smith I just question your credibility on this entire subject...

BTW, you see those six-dots under my name? Most of them or for retorting the $hit outta people, usually to submission, but I'm not really gonna make a case for that here...I'm saying OVERALL, if you think about the funding, the scriptwriting process, the fact they are bringing the Japanese producers in (including my alltime fav anime mind S. Watanabe), and that Keeanu actually is a die-hard fan of Cowboy Bebop, I'm a bit optimistic of what the movie can be...Spike isn't as rangy as you claim despite his idiosyncrasies, but I have seen enuff Reeves movies to know that he might be able to pull it off to the point the overall effect of the movie succeeds...
Old 2009-03-26, 22:18   Link #64
t3htr0LL
Banned

hahahahaha no I didn't say my favorite actor was will smith, I just find his range greater than that of Keanu reaves, don't get me wrong I loved the Matrix, Bill and Ted, the replacements, speed. I would say my favorite actor of all time would be Marlon Brando, now thats a man who can act, and for general action movies I prefer guys like Edward Norton... though when it comes to The Hulk... I'll reserve judgement because that movie kinda sucked all around. Also for guys similar to Reaves age range, would be Downey Junior though its more to do with his resurgency after kicking the drugs then his repititoire.

Die hard fans don't always produce good work. Being a fan is one thing, but I just find Reaves to a very dim light bulb if you get what I mean. Just to remind you that recent Live actions have really really sucked. Chunli, and DBZ evo, were probably the shittiest movies to ever grace film. And when I associate keanu with remakes... like the "the day the earth stood still" i cringe insude and die a little. Because the first time I saw the original I was shocked and amazed at what cinema could do in terms of story telling.
Old 2009-03-26, 22:27   Link #65
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Now Downey Junior is a great damn actor I do agree...I have many favorites that make Reeves and Smith seem amateur in comparison, but in a reality based world, a somewhat Asian looking white-dude who has done like a million sci-fi adventure-genre movies, with the cache to bring in producers, writers, and directors who are gonna pump loads of money into an anime live-action, and want to be faithful to the work, I just gotta say who'd you expect besides Keeanu? Owen Wilson? I just think as much as he has his down-points, Reeves seems to be able to make most of his Sci-Fi//Genre action pictures atleast good to mostly enjoyable movies...In a world where anime remakes are treated like crap in general, I'm a bit optimistic about this one...
No Reeves = No Movie at all, so I'll reserve judgment a bit...
Old 2009-03-26, 22:32   Link #66
t3htr0LL
Banned

The reason why I find Reaves soo unappealing is because the damn som bitch is just like bruce lee when it comes to acting, but at least bruce lee stuck to what he was good at, he never made romances or comedies, his movies featured simple plots with him whooping everybody under the sun. The story telling was blase but it was Kungfu action movie done to a tee with excellent choreography. I also do agree that Live action logistics suck in terms of actually putting out a quality product but i would rather have no product then a not so great interpretation.

Also owen wilson would have to have at least 5 surgeries to get his nose to a relative passible size...
Old 2009-03-26, 23:11   Link #67
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

He actually was decent in the romance "A Walk in the Clouds"...But he's the ultimate aloof, melancholy actor dude (Which are 2 adjectives in Spike's wheelhouse)...I keep getting back to it though, eventhough he's whatever he is, his movies are generally good...When I think of fav Reeves movies I actually come up with alot of choices...One of my favorite movies with him is the super-slept-on Chain Reaction with Morgan Freeman...But the reason I think he's so successful is because his MOVIES are usually HQ productions with other good actors...So it is what it is...

Quote:
Also owen wilson would have to have at least 5 surgeries to get his nose to a relative passible size...
I concur...So I guess we can end it on this highnote...
Old 2009-03-27, 22:07   Link #68
Quzor
It's the year 3030...

I predict that this will be another abomination lambasted across the faces of the anime-loving masses. Can I think of someone better than Keanu Reeves to play the role of Spike Spiegel? No. Can I think of someone to play any of the characters? Nope. Do I think Keanu Reeves is a good choice for Spike Spiegel? Nope. Personally, about the only character I think they could get right is Ein, and that's only because Welsh Corgie's actually exist.

The fact that I don't think Reeves is good for this adaptation, and that I can't think of someone better, speaks directly to the fact that this should not be made into a film. Why can't Hollywood just leave the great anime alone? Why does everything have to be live-action? Thank god the Evangelion project was trashed; that was well on it's way to being an abomination. Too bad about DBZ; that shit-fest actually made it off of the set and into a can.

Edit: If someone can name a single person who can capture both the vocal and physical expressions of Edward, I will stand corrected. The proper choice for Ed, and the story-line, could be the one saving grace this film requires.

Edit2: If the girl in the corresponding picture to this article plays Faye, I will also go see this movie. firstshowing.net

Last edited by Quzor; 2009-03-27 at 22:13. Reason: Because of Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivuruski IV
Quzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 08:33   Link #69
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Well I'll maintain a healthy dose of skepticism about whether they can pull this off or not (I don't have much faith in Hollywood for game and anime movies), but if they can snag Keanu into this then it at least has a slight chance more then other adaptations. So I'll be looking forward to seeing more about this next year.

Quote:
Edit2: If the girl in the corresponding picture to this article plays Faye, I will also go see this movie. firstshowing.net
Cool article. That Faye is easy on the eyes.

Oh That I did not know (or had forgotten) Ghost in the Shell to be made into a movie as well. Dreamworks and Spielberg huh... 3D-Live Action... coolies, at least it isn't straight Live Action. Well I'll add that to the list as well.
Old 2010-09-16, 11:06   Link #70
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Keanu Reeves discusses live-action Cowboy Bebop
Quote:
Toronto (Sept 13): Actor Keanu Reeves discussed the current status of the proposed live-action Cowboy Bebop film project with the Collider movie news website in a Monday interview. Reeves premiered his new film Henry's Crime at the Toronto International Film Festival on Tuesday.

When Collider asked for an update on the Cowboy Bebop project, Reeves responded: "I haven't heard anything back. They turned in the script and it was very expensive. I don't know if they're going to... It would cost, like, half a billion dollars to make that script. So, I don't know where it's at right now."

Reeves told MTV News last September that writer Peter Craig was rewriting the script. He added at the time that the producers were "just trying to pull it back" in scope.

ANIME NEWS NETWORK
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 11:39   Link #71
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Yeah, there are TONS of licenses that get bought, and ideas for movies that get made into scripts... but only a fraction ever get made into movies. I saw a website once (that I'm trying to find again) that listed all movies currently in some form of development from several years back. And most of them get stalled for years, if they are ever made.

This page wasn't what I saw before, but it gives a good indication. There are 56 pages of movies in development, some without proper titles, but how many do you think will make it into production? Well, if you click the "Pre-production" link, you get... 12 pages of movies. 8 pages of movies are in actual production, so at best, you only get about 25% of movies going from "script idea" to "actual movie."

So, I'd suggest locking threads like this, although it's only my opinion. We should only have a movie thread, when shooting is confirmed to be taking place; that way, we know it's coming out. Or perhaps a general "script idea" movie thread, where people could talk about any movie that's being talked about for a possible movie.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 11:43   Link #72
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I actually think Reeves would do well in this sort of role. It is the type of role he typically does do well in.
Old 2010-09-16, 12:29   Link #73
Alchemist007
*Author

I was looking forward to it, but I'd be fine with an anime sequel (though I know this particular movie was probably not going to be that).
Old 2010-09-16, 14:09   Link #74
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I actually think this could work, assuming that there's good communication among the producers and directors. I mean, two of the producers are Shinichiro Watanabe and Keiko Nobumoto.

It's a long shot, but not as long a shot as the other live-action anime adaptions we've seen in recent years. From Keanu's comments, it just looks like they're having problems adapting it to make it afforable to actually make. Could be worse. I'll actually keep an open mind on this one.
Old 2010-09-16, 18:43   Link #75
dredmorte

How exacly can it be so expansive. Geez, this isn't Avatar.

Serenity for example had awesome special effects, similar to what you would have in this movie, and it didn't cost a fortune.
dredmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-17, 08:34   Link #76
mr. sebastian

oh really....... wow that was pretty epic....... wish they did it pretty cool cause if they not oh my god Dx
mr. sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-18, 19:49   Link #77
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmorte View Post
How exacly can it be so expansive. Geez, this isn't Avatar.

Serenity for example had awesome special effects, similar to what you would have in this movie, and it didn't cost a fortune.
Um, you DID see the anime, right? They go to a lot of places which aren't exactly accessible in real life. It means the movie is gonna have a ton of special effects, and places like Mars, etc., will all by CG. Maybe even on the level of Avatar, and that movie cost (approx.) $300 million to produce, give or take. Depending on what they plan to do with the plot, it could be pretty expensive.

It's an absolutely legitimate reason to actually make sure the cost doesn't get out of control of the budget. I don't understand why people don't get that.
Old 2010-09-18, 19:56   Link #78
Dragonar Fan
HI-RISE BOMBEERRR!!!

Well since Sunrise is stepping in ,it probably wont be as horrible as Dragonball Evolution or Godzilla 2000
Old 2011-03-09, 02:43   Link #79
secretzfan
*Fansubber

I am not worried since so many people know this Reeves fella that means he has experience as a actor and that is what we need I actually can't wait so far they seem to being true to the story hopefully this will be good
Old 2011-03-09, 07:43   Link #80
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretzfan View Post
I am not worried since so many people know this Reeves fella that means he has experience as a actor and that is what we need I actually can't wait so far they seem to being true to the story hopefully this will be good
Most of us know Reeves but not exactly because he's a great actor... D: I personally doubt he can do Spike effectively. I just can't imagine a live action Spike...

This news makes me want to cry. Why does Hollywood need to try to remake everything? It's obnoxious in a way if you ask me. As for Cowboy Bebop, I'm pretty sure they can't pull it off. Since when has there been an actual really good anime-based live-action movie? I'm really not looking forward to one of my favourite animes being being epically humiliated

And it'll be really expensive like Spectacular Insanity said. Which also means it'll be a huge whooping flop if it doesn't do well...

Tags
live-action, movie