AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 27 25.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 33.64%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 28.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 10.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.93%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-20, 20:39   Link #21
Eric the Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Anyhow, I was quite surprised at how well the translations were done...except for one part:

x 血がない (chiganai - "no blood")
o 違いない (chigai nai - "yes, that has to be it")

That loop of "no blood" is incorrect. Mion was repeatedly murmuring 違いない (yes, that has to be it) as she was shaking the ladder. I wouldn't blame it though as it is difficult for a non-native to distinguish "chiganai" and "chigai nai." But, repeatedly saying "no blood" makes no sense in that sentence.
You're right, that does make more sense. I puzzled over that becausae of the fact that it made no sense in context of what she had said. I even backed the show up three times to see if I missed something. Maybe WinD will put out a fixed edition when they find out about it.

Overall, this was another excellent episode.

Eric the Grey
Old 2006-05-20, 20:48   Link #22
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

A 10 from me... cos I seriously felt chills around Rika/Keiichi's metaphor talk and the infamous phone call...

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-05-20, 21:09   Link #23
Sir Alex

Quote:
x 血がない (chiganai - "no blood")
o 違いない (chigai nai - "yes, that has to be it")

That loop of "no blood" is incorrect. Mion was repeatedly murmuring 違いない (yes, that has to be it) as she was shaking the ladder. I wouldn't blame it though as it is difficult for a non-native to distinguish "chiganai" and "chigai nai." But, repeatedly saying "no blood" makes no sense in that sentence.

So the whole scene with Mion's over-skewed face in the ladder scene was:

Mion: "Rika's disappearance is all Satoko's fault. Yes, that has to be it. That has to be it. That has to be it. That has to be it. That has to be it......"

Now, that makes a lot more sense in context, and that sentence there itself provides some kind of hint now. Feel free to take this correction into mind and utilize it toward your thoughts about what the heck was going on at that ladder scene (minus the weird facial-and-out-of-sync of Mion, of course).

Oh, and the director's name isn't:

x Ima Chiaki
o Kon Chiaki
Thank you very much for the corrections. Wind as of this time only has one translator, the encoder and myself doing the bulk of the scriptwork, and I don't know enough Japanese to check every line for things like that... I wondered a bit about that phrase, but chalked it up to the general freakyness of the scene. We'll probably put out a fixed v2 soon.
Ninja edit: Our translator actually is a native, too, and swears up and down he hears it as "no blood"... oh well. If "That's it, that's it" is what the game says, that's what it'll be.
Any chance you'd be interested in helping translate for us, or quality-check for things like that? Shameless advertising, I know, but for a good cause... toss me a PM here, or on our IRC channel (#windfs on irc.rizon.net) if you're interested.

Last edited by Sir Alex; 2006-05-20 at 22:28.
Old 2006-05-20, 22:26   Link #24
monir
cho~ kakkoii

A very good episode though I still consider the first episode to be the scariest episode of the series and the most intriguing. Mion's line makes sense now with kj's correction. She pretty much was justifying to herself for the horrible things she has done, so that line was needed to be said over and over to convince herself that the circumastances forced her to those horrible acts and were necessary to carry out her duty.

I liked Rika even if her role in this series didn't exceed a minute of air time, so I'm a bit saddened by her disappearance (who else thinks she, along with Shion, was eaten? ). I think it was harder for Mion to deliver judgment on Rika than Shion (probably because of jealousy) which, sort of, would explain of her loosing control in such way in the ladder-scene.

In an end note, excellent typesetting/styling by Wind on the color change of the words "no blood" which added significance to the repeated utterance of those words. Nice touch. Keep it up.

edit: fixed! thanks to DingoEnderZOE2.

Last edited by monir; 2006-05-20 at 23:02.
Old 2006-05-20, 22:43   Link #25
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
X Mika
O Rika
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
Old 2006-05-20, 23:07   Link #26
SvenTheSweeper
***** YES!! *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicke
I was a little surprised when Rena went Sherlock Holmes mode, guess she can be really serious at times to.

It felt like Rena got a personality transplant, as if she was a different person. Which I was a bit put of by this. Her Sherlock Mode eerily resembled how Shinichi explains a crime in Detective Conan. Mai Nakahara sounded like she was doing a different character.

Rena also didn't have her super cute demeanor. She barely said "...kana? kana?" in this episode. If this is Rena's serious side, I’ll have to get used to it and let it grow on me.

However-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Spoiler:
I agree that was a cool scene of Rena showing a compassion and care towards Keiichi.

Last edited by SvenTheSweeper; 2006-05-20 at 23:26.
Old 2006-05-20, 23:28   Link #27
Morgri

Spoiler:

This episode was defenitely a lot better in the freakiness factor. Can't wait for the next one!
Old 2006-05-20, 23:38   Link #28
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
Mion's "no blood plz!1" scene made me laugh while holding my chair. What a twist of emotions in one single scene... One more point to Higurashi.

Overall, this episode just threw more coal in the fire, because now I have absolutely no idea if Keiichi is talking to Mion or to Shion, and that completely screwed ALL of my hipothesys and such of what's happening. I also wonder if Keiichi was talking to Mion, and not to Shion, in the end of Episode 6. Well, aside from that, a good and great 9/10 for this episode. It just isn't perfect because; 1. I don't like to see Mion (Shion?) higly deformed. And 2. Rena didn't sound like her.
Old 2006-05-20, 23:47   Link #29
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-21, 00:05   Link #30
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mercy
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-21, 00:13   Link #31
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper
It felt like Rena got a personality transplant, as if she was a different person. Which I was a bit put of by this. Her Sherlock Mode eerily resembled how Shinichi explains a crime in Detective Conan. Mai Nakahara sounded like she was doing a different character.
I think Rena didn't get a personality transplant as much as she used her frightfully incisive perception for more "investigative" purposes instead of "scary-stalker-ish" purposes (re: "Keiichi-kun's eating cup noodles bought from 7-mart, right?" *shiver*).

I guess spending your free time looking for buried Kenta-kuns (needle) in mountains of trash (haystack) really trains up your ability at spotting tiny details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mercy
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
Old 2006-05-21, 00:25   Link #32
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenTheSweeper

Rena also didn't have her super cute demeanor. She barely said "...kana? kana?" in this episode. If this is Rena's serious side, I’ll have to get used to it and let it grow on me.
*cough*
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...&postcount=173
*coughpoint#2cough*

It's true that Rena has always been the happy-go-lucky kind, she usually wears a smile on her face even when she's being dead serious. Charm point~

Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
Only one that hasn't figured prominently enough for me to feel wary of is Satoko...
You just wait until Tatarigoroshi-hen (next chapter), Satoko will steal all your hearts.
Old 2006-05-21, 00:37   Link #33
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
You just wait until Tatarigoroshi-hen (next chapter), Satoko will steal all your hearts.
Heh... I KNOW Satoko will show her 'magnificence' at some point (can't wait ) I just meant up to this point she doesn't have the "be wary of" sign plastered over her. Maybe I should have added a "yet" to the sentence in my earlier post to clarify

Old 2006-05-21, 01:11   Link #34
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Hrm, I gave it a ten, but I didn't even really think of the ladder scene one way or the other. I should have deducted a point for that, I guess.

The rest of this episode had such a huge impact though, it's hard for me to fault the one scene.

I actually thought this episode explained a LOT about Rena and the last arc. For instance, I had been assuming that all of Rena's super-knowledge in the last arc indicated some kind of Oyashiro possession, now I realize that she's really just that observant.
Old 2006-05-21, 01:24   Link #35
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

Am I really the only one who thinks the distorted character design during the ladder scene was a good thing? Everyone seems to dislike it... I thought it really added to the psychotic feeling of the scene.

Anyway, yeah, this episode showed, among other things, that Rena has the eyes of a hawk. That's why she noticed everything in Onikakushi-hen, she could beat Oishi at detective work.

Of course, did anyone else notice that Mion's eyes didn't go slit-like when she freaked out?

I do believe that's a hint, folks.
Old 2006-05-21, 01:52   Link #36
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
In an end note, excellent typesetting/styling by Wind on the color change of the words "no blood" which added significance to the repeated utterance of those words. Nice touch. Keep it up.
I would say that was a nice effect which however they used it in the wrong context though. However, they hit it right on the ball on how to use the font colors. The original doujin game utilized the changing font colors for Tsumihoroboshi-hen (still a far way to go until the anime gets there).
Old 2006-05-21, 02:14   Link #37
Beyond the Shave

Did anyone else hear this???

Spoiler for Ep7:
Old 2006-05-21, 02:29   Link #38
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
Am I really the only one who thinks the distorted character design during the ladder scene was a good thing? Everyone seems to dislike it... I thought it really added to the psychotic feeling of the scene.
The only thing I didn't like about it was that the voice didn't seem to be matching the lips, and it was a little bizarre that her face was contorted like that but the voice sounded so calm. Like I said, I usually rate episodes before reading any posts on the thread, and when I rated it, I didn't even think about that part. Then I read a couple of posts and it reminded me, so I thought it should be a little bit of a deduction.
The distorted contortion face part I actually liked, except it seemed a little on the static side.
Old 2006-05-21, 02:35   Link #39
Segahekui
t3h n1nj4 1337

Send a message via AIM to Segahekui
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
maybe if it was a little more distorted, so it would seem intentional. Instead it just seems like a mistake, or half-assed
Old 2006-05-21, 03:06   Link #40
Amaranthine

Gah. Twins are just creepy. Each time one of them appeared, I was wondering whether she was really the one she claimed to be. And then I find out that Shion is missing. Or... one of them is missing. At the moment I do think that it's Shion who's missing, and Mion has been pretending to be her. I don't have any great ideas about why though.

In fact, I don't have any theories about what was going on right now. Watching it just before I went to sleep at 3am was good for atmosphere (especially during the part with the ladder), but not great for puzzling the whole thing out. A rewatch is called for A.S.A.P. Overall I actually found it to be the creepiest episode so far, and...
Quote:
What?! No eyes!?
It seems that it could have stuck to the game and been even more so? o_o I'm guessing this has been mentioned before, so I'm going to have to go and look...

About Mion's (or Shion's... no way to be sure, at least not that I've noticed) face in the ladder scene. It didn't bother me too much, but I think maybe that's because I was too busy saying "What the bloody hell?!" to myself and being creeped out. It was a bit odd though, and I think it's going to bother me a bit when I see it again. There were no real downsides to the episode besides that, at least in my opinion, so I'm giving it a solid 9. I was hovering between 8 and 9, but the pure "WTF-factor" of Shion's (or Mion's ) disappearance merited the extra point from me.
Closed Thread