AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-03-28, 01:07   Link #1
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

Exclamation Plagiarism in the manga/anime world

I didn't see a post on this. So apologies if I overlooked it.

Quote:
Gene Simmons' son, Nick Simmons, surprises Bleach fans with his comic - Incarnate. And by surprises I mean mostly piss off. One fan spotting some similarities to the Bleach manga sparked tons of fans gathering together and comparing scene by scene to show that Nick's latest manga is a far stretch from being original.Fans then further took matters into their own hands and brought news of the event right to Kubo-sensei himself in which Kubo-sensei mentions on his twitter account
And about the similarities to Bleach, check for yourself: http://community.livejournal.com/bleachness/446299.html

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ach-plagiarism
Old 2010-03-28, 01:17   Link #2
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Yeah... Gene Simmons needs to learn how to draw his own damn characters. The only reason I could possibly see for Kubo not suing him is that Kiss gave him an autographed album or something, because that is seriously ridiculous.

Moreover, what pisses me off isn't so much that he plagiarized, but that he has the gall to claim that he DIDN'T. That makes him a LIAR in addition to being a whore.

Personally, I don't think that this kind of overt theft of material should be tolerated by ANYONE, Bleach fandom nonwithstanding.
Old 2010-03-28, 01:44   Link #3
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Yeah, came across it on some tabloid site

....Way to go Mr. Simmons, as if "American Manga" already didn't have enough trouble to be taken seriously
Old 2010-03-28, 02:39   Link #4
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

At first I thought "hmm, this guy was clearly influenced" and then it turned into "hmm, this guy almost copies these panels entirely". Pretty saddening honestly, since it gives American manga artists a bad name, and that just hurts the industry in general by ruining the credibility and reputation of the hard working ORIGINAL talent out there.

On the other hand, how could Viz not see the similarities? I find it amazing they'd even let it get to print in that state, did they think people wouldn't notice?
Old 2010-03-28, 03:32   Link #5
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Er... considering this isn't exactly rare practice inside the anime industry itself, why is this such a bad thing again?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 03:42   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Cause if another Japanese artist does it they will not even notice..
If an American steals something from a Japanese artist all the weabo's get their pitchforks and torches because it "offends" them greatly, it is unoriginal and childish and because it is the west.. obviously (anything Japan is awesome.. anything Western is not worthy of your time remember?) =P

I oppose this.. but also that the Japanese industry has been stealing from each other for years and years as well (people start shouting out to Simmons when they do not even notice it happening in the Japanese circles themselves -_-; ). But seriously this is old news..
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 05:27   Link #7
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
I didn't see a post on this. So apologies if I overlooked it.
Over in the Bleach forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkaku4ever View Post
Hello, could you make a topic about Bleach being ripped off by american comic artist Nick Simmons. I would really like to know what people think about this.
here`s a link.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...-nick-simmons/

thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I can only lol... Let's start with Kubo if we are talking prosecution and handing down the whip of responsibility for plagiarizing. Good for Nick Simmons.

This topic doesn't warrant a thread of its own. I thought we had a General Discussion of sort to direct such discussion in that thread. I didn't find any. I'll make one later.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 06:36   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Isn't this, like, a month old now?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 06:42   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Plagiarism is one of the worst acts an artist can ever do, he will be condemned by the art community.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 06:46   Link #10
Socke
Banned

Isn't this an old news.

I trolled his DeviantArt account like there's no tomorrow.
Socke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 08:02   Link #11
babohtea

I like how this topic has RAGE capitalized. Hahahaha

Anyhow, I'm kind of shocked. Not so much at the copying, let the companies work that out; who cares. I awnt to know more about you guys saying that the "anime industry copies all the time". Does this make copying bleach okay, or does it mean that the anime industry should stop copying?

And could somebody elaborate more on the copying thing (within anime). Like I said I had no idea and I'd like to know more.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 08:33   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post

Anyhow, I'm kind of shocked. Not so much at the copying, let the companies work that out; who cares. I awnt to know more about you guys saying that the "anime industry copies all the time". Does this make copying bleach okay, or does it mean that the anime industry should stop copying?

And could somebody elaborate more on the copying thing (within anime). Like I said I had no idea and I'd like to know more.
I don't know who you're referring to with this line: "anime industry copies all the time".

No one in this thread is saying that and I don't know when did the anime industry copy all the time.

There's a big difference between referencing/homaging and plagiarism. When you homage, you can put something similar in a different context but you don't copy the entire thing line by line. Most of the time its used as a parody to give fans some laughs.

If you copy something once or twice its still ok, and can be passed as homages. But when you copy entire scenes multiple times from the same source, you are obviously plagiarising. Especially if the entire scene looks exactly the same with the same cause and effect.

You don't take someone's ideas completely and make it your own. You can however look at someone's ideas and develop from it, manipulating it into something different. You have to process the stuff you 'copied', you don't just cut and paste the entire thing.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 09:17   Link #13
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
This is an outrage! Of all the things he could have copied, he chose Bleach!!!
I have seen many amateur Naruto clone works and my only complain was not making it so obvious as the reader will not be interested for long.
But Bleach??? Burn in hell! No more of that crap!
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 09:18   Link #14
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
This is an outrage! Of all the things he could have copied, he chose Bleach!!!
I have seen many amateur Naruto clone works and my only complain was not making it so obvious as the reader will not be interested for long.
But Bleach??? Burn in hell! No more of that crap!
I'm not sure because i haven't read "Incarnate" but I think it was the artwork he copied rather than the plot (though it does appear he blatantly ripped off Kenpachi)
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 09:57   Link #15
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
...*snip*
So they don't copy? Misread it then.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 11:36   Link #16
solomon

So some hack rips off a shonen comic. He obviously ain't making enough money off it for Shueshia to sue, let alone attract Kubo's attention. Dude's a louse but there are MUCH more important things in the manga/anime industry to be worried about.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 12:03   Link #17
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Over in the Bleach forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socke View Post
Isn't this an old news.

I trolled his DeviantArt account like there's no tomorrow.
I guess so, just cause I didn't go over the bleach section with a fine tooth comb.

I saw it last night on another site I visit, thought I'd share.

And I do think he's an ass for copying it almost panel by panel.
Old 2010-03-28, 12:12   Link #18
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I sketch myself from time to time. I am rather good for someone not really into making money. I also learned the basics by copying others. But along the way I stopped and now have a style of my own which is nothing alike the ones I used to learn. This guy openly doing it shows a lack in talent and shame.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 17:09   Link #19
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by babohtea View Post

Certainly.

Animation industries, or perhaps I should say art industries, have looked to eachother for inspiration since the dawn of their existence. Sometimes copies were more blatant then others, sometimes they were more successful then others (you never stopped to scratch your head at how similar Daffy and Donald Duck are?) but this has always been the case.

Sometimes and artist gets stuck, and needs an idea to help him through. Other times, he's a big fan and wants to use that which he likes in his works. Other times, it's a simple matter of success and capitalizing on success.

Now the important thing is that I not so much mind people shaking their heads and growling at it happening, but I am aghast that this was actually thought to be worth creating a topic about.

Last edited by Keroko; 2010-03-28 at 17:22.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-28, 17:57   Link #20
Lost Cause

Just my 2 cents

The fact that Nick Simmons copied Bleach does sound like something he'd do! I used to watch that show on A&E but quit after the first season. Nick is a slacker and lives off his fathers hard work! I say pay him no more free publicity by drawing anymore attention to it!

Ride, Boldly Ride!

Last edited by Lost Cause; 2010-03-28 at 17:59. Reason: To many fingers!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote