AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-16, 18:57   Link #11841
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddam View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with Tatsuya, it's the whole cast. Every "bad guy" is getting absolutely wrecked, no matter who they're up against. In the Yokohama war we saw first high basically defeat the Asian alliance single handedly, including Lu Gonghu. I've been a bit disappointed with that.
hey, that's just the first year, more villains will come after that. some may consider this is a weakness in writing (and I don't really disagree with that), but let's just look at it in another perspective.

It is established that the GAA is relatively behind in magic technology compared to other countries, especially the big and powerful ones like the USNA. THIS fact was brutally proven in the Yokohama Arc, they sent a whole bunch of elite soldiers with cutting-edge weapons (non-magical that is) along with other machinaries, yet their squads were pushed back and beaten by a few packs of magic highschoolers (of course the big factor for their failure was because Tatsuya and the 101st Batallion were there). We can see why the GAA is so desperate in trying to take away magica research data, even by force
Old 2014-03-16, 20:48   Link #11842
Riddam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
hey, that's just the first year, more villains will come after that. some may consider this is a weakness in writing (and I don't really disagree with that), but let's just look at it in another perspective.

It is established that the GAA is relatively behind in magic technology compared to other countries, especially the big and powerful ones like the USNA. THIS fact was brutally proven in the Yokohama Arc, they sent a whole bunch of elite soldiers with cutting-edge weapons (non-magical that is) along with other machinaries, yet their squads were pushed back and beaten by a few packs of magic highschoolers (of course the big factor for their failure was because Tatsuya and the 101st Batallion were there). We can see why the GAA is so desperate in trying to take away magica research data, even by force
The Asian alliance was already losing before the 101 intervened. They weren't important until the aftermath.

And I don't have the energy to believe that the Asian alliances loss here had anything to do with their magical technology. They were up against civilians and high schoolers.
Old 2014-03-16, 21:01   Link #11843
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Which is one of the reasons why I consider it a weakness of the author. If he'd stop letting EVERYTHING Tatsuya touches turn into gold, and allowed the opponents to score, too, things would get more interesting.
Be ready for second year 9SC.

Maybe everything Tatsuya touches will turn into Diamond.

I have a feeling that Tatsuya and his team will win easily again this year. He's that Godly afterall. Hahah
Old 2014-03-16, 21:07   Link #11844
GenesiD

I'm going to ask this question again since it seems no one noticed it
What do we know about Volume 13 content wise? Is it guaranteed to be the 9SC arc or?
Old 2014-03-16, 21:12   Link #11845
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakazee View Post
Be ready for second year 9SC.

Maybe everything Tatsuya touches will turn into Diamond.

I have a feeling that Tatsuya and his team will win easily again this year. He's that Godly afterall. Hahah
Haha of course it would; the author compress it to 1 vol. meaning its gonna end fast and easy.
With Tatsuya formed team it will eclipse even the big 3...its gonna be first high "Trinity"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiD View Post
I'm going to ask this question again since it seems no one noticed it
What do we know about Volume 13 content wise? Is it guaranteed to be the 9SC arc or?
Yes the whole vol. is 9sc

BTW: If we're talking about magic abilities on Tatsuya's circle of friends...Normal magic that is:
Im pretty sure Miki and Mizuki are a tops; then Leo then Erika, Tatsuya being in the lowest?

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2014-03-16, 21:14   Link #11846
jmaverf123

Tatsuya have several limiters? Besides miyuki where are the other or did I read it wrong?
Old 2014-03-16, 21:29   Link #11847
Ultragunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddam View Post
The Asian alliance was already losing before the 101 intervened. They weren't important until the aftermath.

And I don't have the energy to believe that the Asian alliances loss here had anything to do with their magical technology. They were up against civilians and high schoolers.
no no, what I meant to say is that magic abilities create such vast difference in combat that even a pack of highschoolers can hold their ground against the GAA army. And you're right, even without there would be high chance that they would fail.

If we exclude the irregular existence of Tatsuya, among the highschool students there are still Katsuto, Masaki - the heirs to the Ten Master Clan with obvious combat prowess, not to mention Mayumi, Mari even Hattori, Isori, Kanon or Kirihara are very well capable of defending themselves (though the two guys would have been dead if not for Tatsuya)

And at the end of vol 7, "Scorched Halloween" is considered to be a historical event, it confirmed that magic has outgunned other technologies, at least in military affair and magic alone can determine the outcome of a battle, a war
Old 2014-03-16, 21:34   Link #11848
Lucarion
The Hegemon-King of Chu.

Quote:

Which is one of the reasons why I consider it a weakness of the author. If he'd stop letting EVERYTHING Tatsuya touches turn into gold, and allowed the opponents to score, too, things would get more interesting.

I really think Tatsuya's being set up for a huge fall in the future...Don't get me wrong, I enjoy seeing him crush his enemies all the time, but I think there's a certain kind of poetry in seeing the strongest man in the world go down when everyone least expects it. And I'm kinda expecting that to happen...

(My imagined scenario would be: Miyuki somehow gets abducted by the GAA, Tatsuya goes Rambo to her rescue--he succeeds in at least preventing another Maya incident, but in the heat of his emotions--or as an inescapable consequence of his decisions--he finds both of them trapped and,despite his and Miyuki's powers, severely outgunned and outnumbered. Tatsuya finds himself in very real danger of dying because of magic overuse and considers pushing forward with his plan anyway--just to get Miyuki to safety. Miyuki however, refuses to leave things like this, which could result in her either killing herself(unlikely, and god I hope not) or Miyuki rising to protect Tatsuya and summoning every once of her power to keep her brother safe. Tatsuya fights with her, and together they either wipe out every single one of their enemies with their combined might...or they die together.)
Old 2014-03-16, 22:00   Link #11849
pampz21
ShipCore

^
To summary it up...
watch 300.

Even with the strongest men; and their impenetrable "Phalanx". When out numbered and cornered they can still die.

Or

Play Crisis Core even the strongest soldier die in face of a thousand man.

a stupid death it may be; but that death lies an epic journey of man so great that he fought for their freedom;

Freedom is paid in price of blood.....

"Tonight we dine in hell"

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,

Old 2014-03-16, 22:17   Link #11850
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
It's less about the opponents scoring and more about them feeling like the underdogs from the get go. An even playing field is all I ask, and an opponent who isn't a capable but confused and somewhat naive schoolgirl would help a lot with that.

Quote:
For essentially being on her own on a mission impossible she's been doing fine. She didn't do any worse than Erika either. *donning asbestos underwear for the upcoming onslaught*
Combat wise. Intelligence wise... she's actually ages away from Erika. Honestly, the berserker redhead just ain't the brightest bulb around (Come on, Pampz, you gotta admit telling everything she knew to Naotsugu wasn't a very smart move, though I'm not sure if that was before or after Tatsuya essentially went "back off or you're dead", so I'm not sure how dumb it was).

Quote:
If anything, she was behaving like a normal, reasonably intelligent and very capable 16-year-old. AND she managed to finish her unsavory side missions just fine. It's okay if you don't like her, but I enjoyed her around.
I didn't like her, but I think she can get better, as long as she gets smarter and more focused. Wouldn't mind having a second twirl with her. Just, don't make her the focus for three volumes, please.

@Riddam
Lu was defeated by a combined front of people with complementary strenghts, none of which would've been able to win on their own. It doesn't really compare to a lot of the stuff Tatsuya can pull on his own.
Old 2014-03-16, 22:43   Link #11851
GenesiD

Oh, I hope the volume 13 lives up to the awesomeness that is volume 3 and 4. I hope Tatsuya participates in one of the games as well somehow. Just watching him dominate with his smarts isn't the most exciting as watching as him dominate physically.
Old 2014-03-16, 22:51   Link #11852
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Oh, I hope the volume 13 lives up to the awesomeness that is volume 3 and 4. I hope Tatsuya participates in one of the games as well somehow. Just watching him dominate with his smarts isn't the most exciting as watching as him dominate physically.
I can kinda see the heads of the 10 masters clans forcing or demanding that he participate to get some kind of revenge against a perceived slight or defeat by a commoner.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
Old 2014-03-16, 23:30   Link #11853
GenesiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
I can kinda see the heads of the 10 masters clans forcing or demanding that he participate to get some kind of revenge against a perceived slight or defeat by a commoner.
Ah, that does make sense. After all I doubt Masaki's loss will be forgotten easily.

As for Tatsuya being set up for a huge fall later on in the story, I feel that might be the case as well however I doubt Tatsuya will die. He is just one of those characters that should not die Not to mention his regenerative abilities...
Old 2014-03-16, 23:43   Link #11854
hakazee

Quote:
Ah, that does make sense. After all I doubt Masaki's loss will be forgotten easily.

As for Tatsuya being set up for a huge fall later on in the story, I feel that might be the case as well however I doubt Tatsuya will die. He is just one of those characters that should not die Not to mention his regenerative abilities...
Hmm yeah the author has some option.

First, Tatsuya die.
Second, Tatsuya lost his magic ( or every magician lost their power ), actually this one is nearly impossible.
Third, live in the Shadow forever. ( I doubt he can keep his secret forever ).

That's the consequences for creating such a Godlike character in MODERN world.
Old 2014-03-16, 23:59   Link #11855
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post

Combat wise. Intelligence wise... she's actually ages away from Erika. Honestly, the berserker redhead just ain't the brightest bulb around (Come on, Pampz, you gotta admit telling everything she knew to Naotsugu wasn't a very smart move, though I'm not sure if that was before or after Tatsuya essentially went "back off or you're dead", so I'm not sure how dumb it was).
Hmmmm...as far as i know she didnt tell him anything except for him being in the 101 battalion.

Which is the best decision she can have...She isnt the brightess bulb but a shinning star..

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,

Old 2014-03-17, 00:08   Link #11856
GenesiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakazee View Post
Hmm yeah the author has some option.

First, Tatsuya die.
Second, Tatsuya lost his magic ( or every magician lost their power ), actually this one is nearly impossible.
Third, live in the Shadow forever. ( I doubt he can keep his secret forever ).

That's the consequences for creating such a Godlike character in MODERN world.
Four, be part of a revolt in the Yotsuba and end up being the leader of the clan (or as Miyuki's guardian) and change the way the Yotsuba goes about things or the way the magic clans go about things. Something of the sort at least.
If Tatsuya dies, I don't see Miyuki living either. To me they are a package, buy 1 get 1 free.
Old 2014-03-17, 00:11   Link #11857
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Hmmmm...as far as i know she didnt tell him anything except for him being in the 101 battalion.
Considering the batallion was nothing but a rumor even for people as close to the military as the Chiba family, that's a big thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Which is the best decision she can have...She isnt the brightess bulb but a shinning star..
She has a big heart, but at this rate she'll be getting into big trouble eventually. Then again, you probably want that to some degree.
Old 2014-03-17, 00:32   Link #11858
hakazee

Quote:
Four, be part of a revolt in the Yotsuba and end up being the leader of the clan (or as Miyuki's guardian) and change the way the Yotsuba goes about things or the way the magic clans go about things. Something of the sort at least.
If Tatsuya dies, I don't see Miyuki living either. To me they are a package, buy 1 get 1 free.
He need to keep his BIG BOMB as a secret forever.
Just like you said, maybe he can be a clan leader and live in the Shadow forever.
Also, never ever uses his BIG BOMB anymore.

Just mist dispersal and regrowt is ok. But the biggest issue is the BIG BOMB.
Old 2014-03-17, 00:36   Link #11859
Guest2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
It's less about the opponents scoring and more about them feeling like the underdogs from the get go. An even playing field is all I ask, and an opponent who isn't a capable but confused and somewhat naive schoolgirl would help a lot with that.
An even playing field between people who can destroy cities in seconds is something I definitely don't want to see, and I believe the opponents he's had have all been suitable. I've very much enjoyed how this has been written and don't mind this type of refreshing change from the usual story plots.

Tatsuya has been beaten several times already by strong magicians and even once by the careful planning the less powerful. Luckily his opponents were caught off guard by his strongest magic(anyone would be), which allowed him a 2nd chance at the fights he was about to lose. And with his magically enhanced genius intellect and training he never fails to take advantage of such openings.

If none of his opponents so far have not impressed you, then due to his clan's secrecy policy, his smarts and his uniquely hax magics, I think it will be very unlikely we will see a fight in the future that will truly satisfy you.
Old 2014-03-17, 00:49   Link #11860
Zoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
Which I acknowledged.

I'll agree about the emotional distance, but could you define "social"? Society didn't impose any restraints on their interaction, their mother did...
Social distance means how likely people are going to interact with each other. Miyuki did not interact with Tatsuya despite their physical proximity, hence they are socially distant. An example of this would be a janitor. We see the same ones all the time in our day-to-day lives, but we tend to not interact with them.

Quote:
Furthermore, Tatsuya was apparently kept in separate quarters, because unlike most Guardians, he has the ability to monitor Miyuki's safety even from a distance. How many siblings do you know grow up in separate houses?
This is incorrect. Remember how Miyuki got shot? Tatsuya couldn't watch her then; his abilities weren't fully developed yet. He even complained to his mother about being sent outside because he lacked the capacity to defend her. His ability to monitor her either comes from the seal or from the fact he used Regrowth on her, which as we have already seen from his original use of Material Burst, allows him to track items using his Elemental Sight.

Quote:

From what I read (and I may have missed it), she doesn't know whether Tatsuya is popular in school or not. Because she was raised to think of Tatsuya as a tool, and the Yotsuba do not care about their tools.
"My brother was a honor student at school. Not only in primary, but even in the junior high he had just entered, in everything unrelated to magic he was a prodigy all the way.

He couldn’t really be said to be sociable even as flattery, but he’s been relied on in numerous situations by both classmates and juniors, and even once by a teacher."

Volume 8 Ch. 9. I pointed you in the wrong direction when I said the Kuroba chapter.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings