AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-10, 05:57   Link #3161
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Which of the various mage types fits the Mario archetype of being balanced in everything, and who fits there?

Yo dawg, I heard you like QB...

Thanks MAEt for the av!
Old 2011-06-10, 06:18   Link #3162
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura View Post
Which of the various mage types fits the Mario archetype of being balanced in everything, and who fits there?
IMO that would be the MF-97 Takamachi Multi-Role Fighter
-Range and firepower: She can reach far and hit heavy, but not to the level of Hayate.
-Flight capability: Fast and maneuverable, but Fate tops her on those aspects.
-Defenses: Able to dish out heavy damage, but Signum can tank better and IIRC one of Yuuno's spherical protections also heals anyone inside, adding its value.
-Support: Good with binds and Wide Area Search is a valuable recon asset. However, I never recall her of being able to use teleport or healing spells.

...of course, in real combat there's more to victory than mere stats . You also needs to know what to use and when
Old 2011-06-10, 09:39   Link #3163
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Inside the Wolkenritter i'd say it's Zafira xD

-Range and firepower: good range with his "Steel yoke", "Chain Bind" and "weird wind whip" spells but not as strong as Vita and Signum.
-Flight capability: Decen flying capability and good speed, combined with his Strike Arts gives him stable chances on the air, but signum is arguably the best aerial mage of the Wolks.
-Defenses: Tough body and good barrier spells(The Guardian Beast of the Wolkenritter remember?)
-Support: Also fairly decent, good proficency with binds, barriers and also keen senses to aid his comrades in battle.

Like Yuuno, Zafira have lots of wasted potential(albeit on different areas) but his muscles, sideburns and "y" chromosome prevents him of doing anything significant xDU.

Some people posted on another site that Signum is also fit for this, she's fast(probably topped only by Fate and Tre), strong(cuts a super tough arm with a hit so powerfull it almost destroys her own sword), have good defenses(against everything not Eclipse related, i mean, she tanks NANOHA) and her only really lacking stat is range and versatility(a myriad of shooting spells are much more flexible compared with an edged piece of metal coated in flames). But her unblance on the last two things makes me think of her more like a Lightning bruiser rather than a Mario.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Old 2011-06-17, 15:31   Link #3164
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Is biological manipulation science or magic? :3 i see these discussions here, but that aspect is not included

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-06-18, 00:50   Link #3165
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Depends, do you mean Yuuno's transformation, or Jail's genetic tinkering? The former is magic, the later is science.
Old 2011-06-20, 04:19   Link #3166
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

Broken record here, but Mid science IS magic.

Old 2011-06-20, 11:00   Link #3167
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Jail's science isn't, though.
Old 2011-06-20, 15:51   Link #3168
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

I still don't get that. How do you figure?

Old 2011-06-20, 16:00   Link #3169
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Because the numbers are specifically noted to use non-magical techniques.

Just because Nanohaverse has magic doesn't mean everything in that universe is magic.
Old 2011-06-20, 17:10   Link #3170
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

Of course, the cyborgs' IS doesn't. But I personally believe magic is heavily involved in Scaglietti's process, regardless of the function of the product. If you have an electric wrench and a lift, you're not going to try to remove lug nuts with your bare hands. Likewise, you can't create an advanced computer chip that breaks current processing limits if you're using an Amish lab. Antimagic is produced by magic, barrier jackets are magic-generated material but don't instantly disintegrate under AMF, and there are other examples of magic being used in unmagic-like ways that I'm not sure about and kinda intend to ask about later.

Anyway, the point is that they are not, and really cannot be, considered exclusive. "Magic vs. science" is not a thing in this universe. Yes, there is a rock-paper-scissors arms race, but that's all happening on the battlefield with the end-products. Nobody's deliberately going back to the stone age and inventing a triangular wheel and corrugated roads just so they can say they're using a different technology curve than the enemy. The splits and gaps tend to bend around the influence of Lost Logia, which are of course, still magical in nature.

Old 2011-06-21, 02:30   Link #3171
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcc View Post
Of course, the cyborgs' IS doesn't. But I personally believe magic is heavily involved in Scaglietti's process, regardless of the function of the product.
Proof? So far we have a score of "No magic: 1. Magic: 0."

Again, Mid Childa may be a society that relies heavily on magic, but that doesn't mean everything is magic. There are many non-mages even in Mid society. Jail himself displayed no magic capabilities whatsoever, a fact that casts further doubt on painting his creations as magic.

Your comparison to an Amish lab is flawed, just because it doesn't use magic it doesn't make the technology any less advanced. Magic is not some miracle cure that fixes everything, it's merely one method to accomplish a goal. If magic is used for anything and everything as you suggest, non-mages would be second class citizens in every field, since they can't do anything. That's quite a discriminatory path to paint for the supposedly tolerant Mid Childa.

No, "Magic vs. science" is not a thing in this universe, but to take that and jump to the conclusion that "everything we see is magic" is rather extreme. And calling all Lost Logia magic is just as extreme a jump. The jewel seeds were never confirmed magical in nature. They were just little gems of energy, and considering even non-mages could use them and they could operate in anti-magic condition, that's two strikes against them being magic.
Old 2011-06-21, 05:07   Link #3172
Arcc
Knight who says D'ni

Hmmm. Okay, I can go with that. My understanding of Mid's magitech is heavy on the interchangeability and interwoveness of both "sides" to the point that magic is more or less like calculus in its technical ubiquity, and even muggles work with magic-based tech regardless of whether they can produce it from their own bodies effectively. But it is entirely possible that my visualization of things is wrong. It's only head-canon filling in for unknown and unseen variables.

So I have something that's been bugging me since StrikerS: Is Vice's blue gunship actually a form of his device, or does his device just plug into it so it can talk to him through the instrument panel? IIRC they call the gunship and his device by the same name, and it's what's flying the ship at the same time he is using it in rifle form to snipe gadgets. . .

(If that's the case, that'd be like clicking the "unlock" button on your car key remote and having your whole car assemble itself on the spot out of thin air. And your car happened to be KITT. In other words, that'd be unbelievably awesome.)

Old 2011-06-21, 11:24   Link #3173
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Storm Raider just plugs into the helicopter and becomes its control system.

And a question: is the proper Romanized spelling of Ixy's kingdom Garea or Galea? (Or am I completely off?)
Old 2011-06-21, 13:09   Link #3174
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Well if magic can lift a heavy item, or filter particles, combine particals at incredible rate, magic ought be used by everyone in some level. I imagine it can be used to create and run power plants.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2011-06-21, 13:12   Link #3175
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Hell, wasn't that Precia's project? A new kind of magical power reactor?
Old 2011-06-21, 18:59   Link #3176
Nagumo
Random Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Storm Raider just plugs into the helicopter and becomes its control system.

And a question: is the proper Romanized spelling of Ixy's kingdom Garea or Galea? (Or am I completely off?)
... Either.

Unless someone can find a text text thing from Japan with the Kingdom's name in English, we will be forced to guess.
Old 2011-06-22, 06:45   Link #3177
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
... Either.

Unless someone can find a text text thing from Japan with the Kingdom's name in English, we will be forced to guess.
So no official text, then? That makes things easier; thanks!
Old 2011-06-22, 06:56   Link #3178
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagumo View Post
... Either.

Out of curiosity, is it possible for the spelling to be Gallia or Galia?
Old 2011-06-22, 10:54   Link #3179
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
The hiragana is "ガレア", so it's definitely an "e".
Old 2011-06-22, 11:23   Link #3180
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koveras Alvane View Post
The hiragana is "ガレア", so it's definitely an "e".
Romanization has a couple ways of going about it, but it's pretty standard on this particular issue (it's an e).

If they wanted Gallia, they probably would have gone the Valkyria Chronicles route with キュリア (or maybe ガリア), which definitely uses an i. But since Japanese hiragana spelling is very pronunciation based (screw you English), the sound sought is "eh" rather than "ee", which is represented with an i in romanizations (リ is "ri" or "li", レ is "re" or "le").