AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-10-26, 20:18   Link #1
Shalangadang

Anime in h.264 on PS3

Alright, I had a question that I don't know if anyone else has because I don't know if there is anyone else that does this same thing lol... Anyways. So I have TVersity on my computer and a playstation 3 which I stream videos with from my pc. Basically, using TVersity as a media server to access files from my computer to my playstation 3 so I can use them for my viewing pleasure on my big beautiful LCD flat screen. Anyways, the normal thing to stream is my library of anime I have. Normally, with TVersity, you can only stream the hard subbed .avi files from an XviD. I have tried streaming a h.264 and for some reason it just does not work. I don't fully understand exactly how the h.264's work but it seems like they are a file containing multiple files of the subs and video and sound and what not. But i may be wrong. SO, I was wondering if there were any geniuses out there that knew how to either stream a h.264 anime file on the PS3 or if you can use an external harddrive or something to directly play it on their and if you did use the harddrive would the subs show up? Because I think you need to use some program and stuff that I got from the Codec pack here. Ahhh a mouthful, but does anyone know of solutions?
Old 2008-10-26, 20:46   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Depending on how I read your question this goes into either the Tech Support or Playback Help section (but not here).
Old 2008-10-26, 21:46   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The PS3 has neither support for the Matroska container nor support for H.264 encodes. TVersity and other streaming solutions have to "transcode" the video files on the fly into a supported format like DivX/XviD in the AVI container. Unless your streaming server has a pretty hefty CPU and all the right software this isn't a very effective solution.

You're left with re-encoding the files yourself into XviD in AVI or downloading anime released in this format. (There are quite a few series released in both XviD and H.264 encodes.) The other solution is connecting the computer directly to the TV and using a software player that supports H.264 in Matroska. That's the solution I use even though I also have a PS3 connected to the TV as well.
Old 2008-10-26, 21:51   Link #4
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I have some Anime episodes which are encoded in MP4 720p h264 aac and they seem to work well ..
Old 2008-10-26, 21:53   Link #5
problemedchild
ô_ô

I was under the impression that PS3 started supporting H.264 encodes since July of last year?

Try this
Convert .MKV files for PlayStation 3 using mkv2vob
Old 2008-10-26, 23:57   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

If you mean mkv files as in H.264, then there is no doubt why it wouldn't work. MKV files are incompatible with most, if not all electronic devices with the exception of computers due to its rare codec. Your remaining option would be to re-encode it to whatever format the ps3 accepts.
Old 2008-10-27, 00:41   Link #7
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

Technically you could remux your MKVs to MP4 provided the H.264 video inside is within the level 4.1 limitations but since most MKVs are softsubbed you'd have to re-encode it to hardsubbed H.264 in order to have subs properly.

Another way would be to convert the subs inside to SRT and then use mkv2vob, though.
Old 2008-10-27, 04:03   Link #8
kujoe
from head to heel

What Daiz said.

In fact, that's how I was able to watch Seirei no Moribito through my PS3. If the encoding profile is too high (i.e., 5.1), you have to change it to 4.1 by using a program called H264info. The PS3 can read .mp4 videos with a profile of up to 4.1.

The process is quite long, but I found an easier way to convert .mkv videos. Just google a converting program called "GOTSent" and give it a try. It has only failed me once, and when that happened, I had to do it the hard way. There's already a how-to thread for that somewhere here.
Old 2008-10-27, 04:25   Link #9
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
If you want to watch anime on you "big flat screen" why the hell don't you just connect YOUR PC to your LCD? It's way more logical then connecting your PC to you TVtravesty to your PS3 to your TV.
Old 2008-10-27, 10:09   Link #10
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
MKV files are incompatible with most, if not all electronic devices with the exception of computers due to its rare codec.
http://www.popcornhour.com/

you're wrong, also mkv is a container not a codec, the software you're probably referring to is called a splitter and it isn't "rare" whatever you mean by that
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-10-27, 13:18   Link #11
Dark Shikari
x264 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
MKV files are incompatible with most, if not all electronic devices with the exception of computers due to its rare codec.
So H.264, the standard video format for a wide variety of television broadcast, Blu-ray, HD DVD, Youtube, Facebook, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, and so forth is "rare"?

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 2008-10-28 at 04:27.
Old 2008-10-27, 17:42   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm sorry for distributing misinformation. Yes, the PS3 supports some H.264 encodes but will not play files in the Matroska container.

Along with the Popcorn Hour box that TheFluff pointed to, the COWON A3 and later players also support Matroska.
Old 2008-10-27, 19:33   Link #13
Shalangadang

So the best way to view it would be, Well connect my computer to the TV but I would need to reorganize the room which it could use anyway lol, but to convert the MKV files using a converter program to AVI and then just watch them? By doing that do they lose a higher definition? And do they keep the subs if they are soft subbed still?
Old 2008-10-28, 08:30   Link #14
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It depends a bit on what kind of video card you have and what kind of input connections are on your TV. Modern video cards have both a traditional analog VGA connector and the newer digital DVI connector. The latter is much wider than the VGA connector and has a much different pin organization. Your card might also have a round S-VGA adapter, but that won't help for video in high-definition formats like 720p.

Your television probably has an HDMI connector and may also have a VGA input as well. If you have an HDMI input on the TV and a DVI output on the video card, you can use an DVI/HDMI converter cable. If they both have a VGA connector you can use a VGA monitor cable instead. People debate about whether one method has higher quality than the other; I don't see big differences in practice.

As for audio it also depends on what kind of sound card you have and the types of inputs supported by your TV or audio receiver. I just use the Intel audio chip on my motherboard and connect the computer to my receiver with a converter cable that has a mini phono-plug on one end and the red/white "RCA" plugs on the other. If you have installed a digital audio card and have a receiver with optical or coaxial inputs you can use the appropriate cable to get digital audio.

Once you've made the appropriate connections you should be able to treat the TV as a computer monitor and play your files with a software player like Media Player Classic or mplayer. You won't need to convert anything if you have the right codecs installed.
Old 2008-11-01, 21:04   Link #15
Shalangadang

Ok I have a new problem. I have installed YDL 6 on my PS3 and I was wondering if there was a codec pack or something compatible with it so I could watch anime using that instead?

EDIT: I fixed my own problem. With the help of google ... lol ... I downloaded some Repositories for YDL and then got mplayer and VLC but i have yet to get mplayer to work. But i will soon. AVI's now work and I'm trying h.264's.

Last edited by Shalangadang; 2008-11-01 at 23:00.