AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-01-21, 14:09   Link #1961
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Found something written by you (Kaito-kid), and that is the ultimate proof that GSD is not successful since you brush aside everything I come up with and stick with your viewership=success formula.
You still haven't proven anything. You continue to base your argument on your own assumptions and try to sell them as facts.

TV ratings/Sales/Popularity=Success is a formula used by the entertainment industry around the world. I didn't invent it.

Quote:
Fukuda is not involved in any anime production since GSD. If he is so successful in GSD, then like you said, he would have his hands full with new anime production. He is not involved in any new anime production is the proof you need that GSD is not successful. (See the logic: GSD is successful: Fukuda have his hands full with new anime\ ?????: Fukuda do not have his hands full with new anime. What is ????? stands for?)
And you continue to assume things and present them as arguments.. As I said in the post you quoted, I don't know why he didn't make more Anime and neither do you. maybe he had issues in his personal life, maybe he had some trouble with the studio, or maybe his reason is a very simple one, like: "I don't feel like doing another one, cos I'm busy swimming in my huge pile of cash"

I don't have much to say about your "Fukuda failed so GSD is a fail" argument..
Saying that Fukuda failed because he didn't do another Anime and then even claiming that Destiny failed because he didn't do more projects is something that my Logic-O-Meter™ can't digest.

Quote:
GS is a success, GSD is not. I think I make myself very clear in my last post. People watch GSD because of the success of GS. To measure success of GSD, viewership is only one of the elements. Other elements include amount of sequels
Other 'elements' like DVD sales? Higher poll ranking? better music sales? ..Destiny did better then SEED (and most other Gundam series) in all of all of these categories..

Quote:
company policy and directions (they abandon GSverse and go into G00)...etc. All of that indicate GSD is not as successful as Sunrise would like.
And now they seem to be moving away from 00.. So by your logic, 00 is a flop.. I'm sorry but this is just pure lolz

Quote:
Tons of shit shows and shit characters top the charts in Japan. That's not helping your argument any.
No it's helping my argument plenty. They are on the charts because they are Popular. The fact that you think those characters are shit doesn't make any difference.

Quote:
Destiny was successful with general audiences at the time, but did not go over well with most Gundam fans; aside from the years of mostly negative backlash to GSD
The whole 'Gundma fans are more important than general audiences' is bullshit to begin with. But apparently the 'Gundam fans hate CE' argument is also bullshit.. Mr. brightman recently posted a Demographic breakdown that shows that Seed AND Destiny did better than something like 00 among most age groups, even the older Gundam fans.

Quote:
there's also the fact that most GSD Gunpla is still collecting dust on store shelves. So for Gundam fans--the audience that actually matters
Source?
This actually might be true, but I'm not sure..

Quote:
GSD was not a success. And that's why Bandai/Sunrise, while not cancelling the SEED movie, are in no rush to release it either.
Yeah.... that's what a big studio like Sunrise dose to a failed series.. Give it a damn movie and patiently wait while the director is probably busy drinking kool-aid..
Old 2011-01-21, 14:50   Link #1962
nyxem

GSD didnt failed.Even is failed is beause of shinn ;D anyway GSD > 00 all the way.
nyxem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 15:21   Link #1963
Throne Zwei
Londo Bell Taskforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Surely those who watched Destiny simply because it's a sequel of SEED wouldn't buy the DVDs if they didn't like it.
Some buy the dvds because it's part of a franchise they love. At the same time they acknowledge that series is pretty bad or they don't like it. Andres from Tomopop owns the boxset but acknowledges that and I'm certain Chris from MAHQ owns it too but also doesn't like the series. Buying the dvds does not necessarily equate to liking the series.
Old 2011-01-21, 15:42   Link #1964
kaito-kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throne Zwei View Post
Some buy the dvds because it's part of a franchise they love. At the same time they acknowledge that series is pretty bad or they don't like it. Andres from Tomopop owns the boxset but acknowledges that and I'm certain Chris from MAHQ owns it too but also doesn't like the series. Buying the dvds does not necessarily equate to liking the series.
you are talking about a very very small Demographic here..
Old 2011-01-21, 15:51   Link #1965
Throne Zwei
Londo Bell Taskforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
you are talking about a very very small Demographic here..
Posting some specific examples here buddy...
Old 2011-01-21, 16:18   Link #1966
monster

Quote:
I think your examples are the exceptions to the rule.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-21, 16:25   Link #1967
kaito-kid

Quote:
You can't be fuc*ing serious... Are you really asking me to prove that people buy GSD DVDs because they don't hate it but because they like it??
Old 2011-01-21, 18:42   Link #1968
tetsuo69

i loled so hard at some comments that just seem pure personal opinion.

its clear that for most fans outside japan GSD was a pure failer but thats just personal opinions cuz GSD did pretty good in japan.

kira still ranking so high after so many years and often beats setsuna that just had a series and a movie on the anime and gundam polls, that would be more than enough to prove that GSD wasnt the best shit ever but was far from failer.
Old 2011-01-22, 04:24   Link #1969
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Lol, Fukuda is not directing any more shows because of two primary reasons, neither of which had anything to do with how GSD sold.

First, Seiyuus hate his guts cause he mistreated some of them during the process of making GSD, most prominently Naomi Shindoh, the person who voiced Cagalli. If rumors are true, he lambasted Maaya Sakamoto too. (Lunamaria Hawke) So he'd pretty much have to voice his own characters if he ever decides to direct a new anime.

Second, his wife has freaking BRAIN CANCER. Infer on your own. For all I know, he could be a masochistic wife beater, but if he's a normal one, and his wife got brain cancer, he'd be taking care of her instead of going out there directing shows. The fact that his wife is always around helping him somehow also plays a role.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-22, 13:50   Link #1970
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
Lol, Fukuda is not directing any more shows because of two primary reasons, neither of which had anything to do with how GSD sold.

First, Seiyuus hate his guts cause he mistreated some of them during the process of making GSD, most prominently Naomi Shindoh, the person who voiced Cagalli. If rumors are true, he lambasted Maaya Sakamoto too. (Lunamaria Hawke) So he'd pretty much have to voice his own characters if he ever decides to direct a new anime.
Don't forget that at the 2008 NY Anime Festival, Rie Tanaka said that Lacus was the hardest role she played so far, partly because she had to act in a certain way to make Fukuda/Morosawa happy.

Quote:
Second, his wife has freaking BRAIN CANCER. Infer on your own. For all I know, he could be a masochistic wife beater, but if he's a normal one, and his wife got brain cancer, he'd be taking care of her instead of going out there directing shows. The fact that his wife is always around helping him somehow also plays a role.
Morosawa had cancer, but she didn't specify what kind of cancer she had. But I can't help but think if her "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Hideaki Anno-esque Creator Breakdown phase.
Old 2011-01-22, 17:26   Link #1971
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
But I can't help but think if her "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Hideaki Anno-esque Creator Breakdown phase.
Unless you have proof that she's faking her condition, I'd suggest you don't talk lightly about it.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 06:16   Link #1972
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

never knew they was a debate that last for 5 years. seem GSD is most "discussed" series in anime history

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-23, 11:22   Link #1973
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Unless you have proof that she's faking her condition, I'd suggest you don't talk lightly about it.
It's just my cynical side saying it.

I feel sorry for her.
Old 2011-01-24, 04:57   Link #1974
Paladinoras
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
Don't forget that at the 2008 NY Anime Festival, Rie Tanaka said that Lacus was the hardest role she played so far, partly because she had to act in a certain way to make Fukuda/Morosawa happy.
Nah, I think for once, that was more of Rie Tanaka being more of a free spirit while Lacus is way more grounded.

Quote:
Morosawa had cancer, but she didn't specify what kind of cancer she had. But I can't help but think if her "cancer" excuse means that she's going through a Hideaki Anno-esque Creator Breakdown phase.
....No, she actually has it. Proven, which is partially to blame for the erratic developments of GSD.

Credit to Godlike1889 for the sig!
Paladinoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 17:16   Link #1975
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
never knew they was a debate that last for 5 years. seem GSD is most "discussed" series in anime history
And to some individuals, that can be considered a success... in a way...

Oops...

- Tak (Yes, I loved GSD... sue me)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-01-26 at 11:45.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 16:56   Link #1976
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Nah, I think for once, that was more of Rie Tanaka being more of a free spirit while Lacus is way more grounded.
Which goes hand in hand with Rie Tanaka also saying that the 2nd Lacus (I´m sorry I forgot her real name) being much more fun to voice than Lacus.

//
The words success and failure in themselves are too abstract. It´s much more interesting to talk about specific goals. Do the ones calling Destiny a failure base that solely on their own opinion or do they factor in (pro) critics, money, hard core fans or perhaps the mainstream audience? If it´s only personal opinions it´s more right to say that Destiny failed to reach their expectations than calling it a failure.

By the way. It´s a lie to say that Destiny failed completely but it certainly has a long way to go to reach the heights of it´s prequel.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!

Last edited by Last_Hope; 2011-01-27 at 17:07.
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 17:43   Link #1977
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawinder View Post
Tons of shit shows and shit characters top the charts in Japan. That's not helping your argument any.
That 'shit show' and its 'shit character(s)' top charts in Japan for a decade (and still topping several charts, including top Gundam pilots). I find it difficult to agree with you when their popularity persists until the present day.

Quote:
aside from the years of mostly negative backlash to GSD, there's also the fact that most GSD Gunpla is still collecting dust on store shelves.
A fact, you say? Gee, I guess that is why HLJ always have to restock them.

The Freedom Gundam and its successor is one of the most popular Gunpla kits ever released to the public, with some variants that even I don't think should exist. Never mind it being one of the most manipulated kits by various Gunpla masters. So unless you have statistical data backing your claims, I am going to treat your statement with a grain of salt.

Quote:
So for Gundam fans--the audience that actually matters (as the non-fans will just move from one show to the next no matter what)--GSD was not a success. And that's why Bandai/Sunrise, while not cancelling the SEED movie, are in no rush to release it either.
Gundam fans based on which demographic? It was a widely popular show in East Asia when it first came out, not only in Japan but many Chinese-language sites went nuts over it, always eager to discuss following episodes.

And even if it somehow failed with the Western demographic, so what? Its not a show made for Westerners anyway, Sunrise can't give less of a shit about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope View Post
The words success and failure in themselves are too abstract. It´s much more interesting to talk about specific goals. Do the ones calling Destiny a failure base that solely on their own opinion or do they factor in (pro) critics, money, hard core fans or perhaps the mainstream audience? If it´s only personal opinions it´s more right to say that Destiny failed to reach their expectations than calling it a failure.
Thats a good point, really. When the first episode of GSD aired, I wasn't looking forward to the new protagonists at all, hell, even when the show was first announced, I was not remotely impressed with the new cast of characters. Deep down inside, I was hoping for Kira & Lacus to return. As it turned out, they returned, in a big way, and I was happy, therefore making GSD a success seeing how it met my goals as an audience.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-01-27 at 18:51.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-30, 13:09   Link #1978
Washu-Chan