AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Infinite Stratos

Notices

Old 2011-01-10, 08:11   Link #761
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Huhu, I had no idea the girl voiced by Hanazawa Kana was french. I'm definitely remaining faithful to my country
Old 2011-01-10, 08:22   Link #762
juss
KANAME SENPAIIIIII!!!

There are more than enough natural blondes in Britain that it's a perfectly reasonable hair colour choice. I'm a natural blonde as are other members of my family. It's not "rare", but it is a recessive gene so brunettes probably outnumber blondes by at least 10:1

However, blonde is by far and away the most desirable hair colour to be here, and the number of dyed blondes has gone up dramatically in the last 10-15 years. In certain places you'll see little other than blonde girls.

The Britains as Nationalists is a funny stereotype. I'm not sure what level in society this girl is supposed to represent, but if she's a very well to do, monied girl then it's probably not unfair to suppose that she would have a lot of national pride. Middle class Brits like myself are not really quite so vehemently patriotic - I'm very anti-nationalist myself - but I can see where the stereotype came from, especially as we were quite strong imperialists in the East. Seems kind of fair, though I suppose a more rounded view would be nice.

Last edited by juss; 2011-01-10 at 09:01.
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 08:24   Link #763
juss
KANAME SENPAIIIIII!!!

The reviews are coming down hard on this show. I thought that it was a fairly enjoyable first episode. It didn't scream out that it was going to be unique or challenging, but it set up the characters and the scenario pretty well. Definitely one to watch for the time being.
juss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 08:35   Link #764
TrueKnight

The show (at least from the 1st ep) is generic harem at its best (1 guy, multiple girls swooning over the guy).

But it's just throughly fun and enjoyable. Plus it has Houki. Whats not to like? I do agree though that this show is not for everyone. Each to his/her own I guess.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 08:35   Link #765
Mentar
Banned

I notice a growing tendency on several blogs to "talk down" to maaaaany shows by default. I guess ripping shows up is more fun and gives you more instant gratification than relaxing and not demanding that each new work has to be the second coming of the savior.

I'd say just lean back and enjoy it when you enjoy it
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 08:51   Link #766
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by juss View Post
The Britains as Nationalists is a funny stereotype. I'm not sure what level in society this girl is supposed to represent, but if she's a very well to do, monied girl then it's probably not unfair to suppose that she would have a lot of national pride. Middle class Brits like myself are not really quite so vehemently patriotic - I'm very anti-nationalist myself - but I can see where the steretype came from, especially as we were quite strong imperialists in the East. Seems kind of fair, though I suppose a more rounded view would be nice.
Frankly I've never met anyone like that. I only ever see ethnocentric Brits like these on TV.

It's just as you say. Most of us are pretty anti-nationalistic since we're always taking the piss out of our government. The only asshole Brit you're likely to meet in another country is a football hooligan.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 09:27   Link #767
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoo View Post
Spoiler for pick your poison:
Before mangatron gets here, I'm claiming the twintail Chinese girl first, followed closely by Houki. Well, it's not like I'll reject any other one either...
Old 2011-01-10, 09:33   Link #768
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I notice a growing tendency on several blogs to "talk down" to maaaaany shows by default. I guess ripping shows up is more fun and gives you more instant gratification than relaxing and not demanding that each new work has to be the second coming of the savior.

I'd say just lean back and enjoy it when you enjoy it
To be fair, this one is really easy to rip apart. And being critical of the anime we watch is by no means a bad thing. I'm still gonna watch this show, albeit with reduced expectations - something I can't say about most of the other stuff airing this season.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 09:37   Link #769
kramerica

Quote:
I think I'm sticking with Britian. I'm a sucker for those types for some reason

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 09:41   Link #770
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Shiroth: Yes, but the "typical English" girl would hardly be selected light blonde, wouldn't you agree? Brown/brunette is much more typical. Heck, pick red at least.
I can see where you're coming from, though i was just point out that light blonde isn't rare at all, and used quite a lot for the stereotypical English girl. I guess it has more to do with light blonde being the norm back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
I think I'm sticking with Britian. I'm a sucker for those types for some reason
Sorry to say, but you'd have a difficult search in finding them around here.
Old 2011-01-10, 09:41   Link #771
Fishfood1

Quote:
this is just encouraging war on this thread.

anyways since this show is hardly being unique so far, but i still like it, at least so far.

roof>bed
Fishfood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 12:06   Link #772
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

Quote:
Look at it that way... this surrender meme came up during France's resistance to join the Iraq war, and lord knows that they were vindicated by how things turned out.
Oh i know but seeing it touted as some kind of epithome of wits and humour is depressing.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 13:19   Link #773
zephyr325

Quote:
Shiroth: Yes, but the "typical English" girl would hardly be selected light blonde, wouldn't you agree? Brown/brunette is much more typical. Heck, pick red at least.

Just heard that I need to fly to Rain City Central (London) from tuesday to thursday *sigh*. Will recheck how many light blondes I'll pass by.
From oriental point of view, 'blonde + pale skin + blue eyes' are like a symbol of typical westerner.

Of course, once you go oversee and see for yourself, you know that's not true...

Last edited by zephyr325; 2011-01-10 at 13:31.
zephyr325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 13:23   Link #774
zephyr325

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueKnight View Post
French bashing aside, I believe Japanese viewing female Brits or European mostly as blondes has to do with stereotypes and their unrequited love for anything europe, which they view as exotic. Just try to have the author living in the UK more than a year and we'd see him portray the females with more diverse hair colors and drinks alcohol just as much as the men. Lol j/k..
Considering his health situation, I believe he would have a hard time enduring the trip to Europe, much less living in there... even for a month.

It's like half of his subjects in his blog is about his hospital life or health problem...

But I see what you mean, and he would probably know about it since he, like us is blessed with the invention of internet...

Well, this anime(and the original LN) was meant to be for Japanese audience, so he probably went ahead with what works best for them.
zephyr325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 15:02   Link #775
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Sorry to say, but you'd have a difficult search in finding them around here.
You know thinking about it I actually knew a girl back in school abit like the stereotypical Brit, altho maybe not as stuck up but she was blonde, smart but like with every blonde had her moments
She was a great lass to make fun of but you'd get along with her well enough.

I myself like how the japanese generally protray British people, it's always quite amusing and hell I do love Cecilia, she's a hoot!

Well this would be one fo them times where I couldn't honestly say which one I liked the most, I mean Cecilia is great but then Laura has a eyepatch and then Lin with her twintails!

Oh the conflicts!

p.s the day anime/manga makes a jab at chavs and neds I'll literally be rolling on the floor laughing myself silly and forever rate that anime/manga the best!
Old 2011-01-10, 15:18   Link #776
bigdeath

The french girl is pretty cute looking....
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 16:26   Link #777
yuiichi9

The best ending would be Ichika marry the 5 girls plus Ran Gotanda and Tatenashi(the student council president). That way they all can live together. Although he would need to improve his endurace and stamina because he will need it to take care of the girls. Nobody would mess with him. I think the force of his harem is equivalent to an elite unit enough to start a war.

Last edited by yuiichi9; 2011-01-10 at 18:22.
yuiichi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 19:21   Link #778
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiichi9 View Post
The best ending would be Ichika marry the 5 girls plus Ran Gotanda and Tatenashi(the student council president). That way they all can live together. Although he would need to improve his endurace and stamina because he will need it to take care of the girls. Nobody would mess with him. I think the force of his harem is equivalent to an elite unit enough to start a war.
That would be a very scary ending more then the best ending... I would never expect Ichika to actually go and marry 5 girls + 2 all at once, especially have the stamina in order to take care of them all.. But if he actually is capable of doing that... The world as we know it is a goner
Old 2011-01-10, 19:33   Link #779
Berlin

I think this show might be a keeper! The only problem I have with it is the mecha's seem only to be the body and use the heads of the characters instead. I saw only one mecha that has a mecha style head. It's a different concept I will have to get use to. It's no Gundam but it seems to be a story I can dig! I like how Ichika Orimura is so oblivious to things! I def. can tell that Alcott, Cecilia is going to be really annoying and I hope they don't overdue her character.
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-10, 19:35   Link #780
yuiichi9

If Ichika marry all of them then he and the girls can fight in order to thwart the plans of evil organizations. Although I would like to see him as a teacher in the future at IS academy of japan.
yuiichi9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, harem, mecha, romance, school life, sci-fi, shounen, stupid protagonist