AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-12-27, 06:37   Link #4481
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
I don't think it's extreme lengths. The first twilight was setup for the purpose of having the deception revealed. The confernece scene was false to a certain extent.

Oh yeah, regarding the knock, how about this:
The knock actually came from the front door of the mansion. They all heard a knock right? Where was it ever stated that the knock they heard probably came from the door right outside the conference room? This allows anyone outside of the mansion to have knocked! No red text are violated!
Spoiler for Red Text:

This isn't Witch Hunt's translation so there could be a variation. It would suggest that the knock can and will only come from that door.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 06:42   Link #4482
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Spoiler for Red Text:

This isn't Witch Hunt's translation so there could be a variation. It would suggest that the knock can and will only come from that door.
Look closer at that red text, it's not violated at all. The door was knocked on. The door was the front door to the mansion.
I don't think there's any other possibility. The theory of Erika changing the clock is too extreme and I haven't heard anything better.

As for the envelope, that could have been left at any time. They just didn't notice it.
Old 2009-12-27, 06:47   Link #4483
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

If Hideyoshi dies, we're left with a seemingly impossible closed room. Natsuhi, Hideyoshi, and someone else were in the room (if this is the case), and once the chain is set, both Natsuhi and the killer could not leave. It's implied by the text that they check pretty much everywhere in the room except the closet where Natsuhi is. So if there's really an attacker, why didn't they find him? And if Hideyoshi was really dead, why ignore one of the single most obvious hiding places for the culprit? Erika is even physically led off so she can't check the closet.

This would suggest nobody wanted the closet checked because they already knew Natsuhi was in there. If there was never anyone else in the room, it would entirely explain why they didn't bother checking thoroughly; they didn't have to and didn't want to.

Also: The culprit can work within a larger scheme, without actually being the sole perpetrator of it. For instance, if there's an elaborate fake-death plot to coax the truth out of Krauss and Natsuhi, the culprit can pretend to be part of that plan, then perform actual killings. This seems very plausible for ep5. It seems like the plan is to frame Natsuhi. If they were aware of actual, real killings, they wouldn't go to the trouble of framing her (i.e. they'd look in the closet rather than pretend not to). But that doesn't mean at least one person involved actually isn't killing. They may just be betraying the plan.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 06:47   Link #4484
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

This includes beating a pillar I believe was meant to indicate that it cannot be beating something other than a door, and not specifically a pillar alone. Plus the entire conversation was specifically about the door to the conference room itself. Of course there are still discrepancies, but if anything the entire conversation itself seems to try and condense the knocking to the conference room door and that alone.

Likewise, the mansion is huge and it is raining hard. A knocking sound on the front door and not on the conference room door would require a strong knock to be heard, and such a knock would be heard through much of the house.

Knox rules (I forget which one) dictates I believe that the detective is obligated to produce and explain her methods, which means that if Erika did not mention her manipulation of the clock then it would not have happened.

Quote:
If Hideyoshi dies, we're left with a seemingly impossible closed room. Natsuhi, Hideyoshi, and someone else were in the room (if this is the case), and once the chain is set, both Natsuhi and the killer could not leave. It's implied by the text that they check pretty much everywhere in the room except the closet where Natsuhi is. So if there's really an attacker, why didn't they find him? And if Hideyoshi was really dead, why ignore one of the single most obvious hiding places for the culprit? Erika is even physically led off so she can't check the closet.

This would suggest nobody wanted the closet checked because they already knew Natsuhi was in there. If there was never anyone else in the room, it would entirely explain why they didn't bother checking thoroughly; they didn't have to and didn't want to.

Also: The culprit can work within a larger scheme, without actually being the sole perpetrator of it. For instance, if there's an elaborate fake-death plot to coax the truth out of Krauss and Natsuhi, the culprit can pretend to be part of that plan, then perform actual killings. This seems very plausible for ep5. It seems like the plan is to frame Natsuhi. If they were aware of actual, real killings, they wouldn't go to the trouble of framing her (i.e. they'd look in the closet rather than pretend not to). But that doesn't mean at least one person involved actually isn't killing. They may just be betraying the plan.
Are you suggesting that everyone knew Natsuhi was in the closet, and likely ignored it as a pretense to accuse her of murder because they are in on the entire scheme?

Edit - I think we're doing this in the wrong thread. Shouldn't we be doing this in the Ep5 thread?
Old 2009-12-27, 06:50   Link #4485
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Why would Erika manipulate the clock? That would work against her attempts to figure out how the knock happened. Someone else manipulating the clock is plausible, if they had some purpose in mind besides dodging the red (which is not allowed).
Old 2009-12-27, 07:00   Link #4486
luckyssol

Quote:
This includes beating a pillar I believe was meant to indicate that it cannot be beating something other than a door, and not specifically a pillar alone.
Right, it had to be a door. Which door?

Quote:
Plus the entire conversation was specifically about the door to the conference room itself.
Challenge: Was it ever stated specifically the door to the conference room?

Quote:
Of course there are still discrepancies, but if anything the entire conversation itself seems to try and condense the knocking to the conference room door and that alone.
Likewise, the mansion is huge and it is raining hard. A knocking sound on the front door and not on the conference room door would require a strong knock to be heard, and such a knock would be heard through much of the house.
The knock had to come from outside.
In short, this means it was impossible for any character within the mansion to be the source of a knocking SOUND. ....And 'any character' refers even to undiscovered people that no one has noticed.

Quote:
Knox rules (I forget which one) dictates I believe that the detective is obligated to produce and explain her methods, which means that if Erika did not mention her manipulation of the clock then it would not have happened.
But why would Erika do this?
Old 2009-12-27, 07:01   Link #4487
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Why would Erika manipulate the clock? That would work against her attempts to figure out how the knock happened. Someone else manipulating the clock is plausible, if they had some purpose in mind besides dodging the red (which is not allowed).
But we have seen disturbing proof ep 26 that you can dodge the red if you have perfect timing / stating half truths with the intention of misleading the game on.
Old 2009-12-27, 08:04   Link #4488
luckyssol

Quote:
Spoiler for Red Text:

This isn't Witch Hunt's translation so there could be a variation.
Spoiler for Witch Hunt Translation of some of "The Knock" red text:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
But we have seen disturbing proof ep 26 that you can dodge the red if you have perfect timing / stating half truths with the intention of misleading the game on.
Except for the one regarding Nanjo's death, I don't think any of the other blue truth Battler used in anime ep 26 to dodge the red were effective at all. Beatrice probably could have countered all of them with red truth.
Old 2009-12-27, 08:17   Link #4489
imaginari
Purupurupiko-Man

Location: My beloved hometown, the mackerel river running through it
Quote:
Spoiler for Haven't played yet, but..:
imaginari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 08:23   Link #4490
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginari View Post
Spoiler for Haven't played yet, but..:
If that translation is correct then they absolutely did not misidentify a knock.

By the way, I went through the whole conversation regarding "The Knock". It was never specifically said that "that door = the conference room door". (Erika, did use blue truth to refer to the 'door to the dining room hall')

"A door" or "That door" refers only to the door which was knocked on and does not necessarily have to be the conference room door.

Edit: Actually, you're right. The theory "The knock never occured." still holds, my bad.

Last edited by luckyssol; 2009-12-27 at 10:27.
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 08:25   Link #4491
Kamar
Author Wannabe

I don't see how that translation in any way indicates that they heard a knock. All it seems to be saying is no-one misheard a knock. It's possible there was no sound to be misheard at all, based on that text.
Kamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 10:23   Link #4492
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:

Except for the one regarding Nanjo's death, I don't think any of the other blue truth Battler used in anime ep 26 to dodge the red were effective at all. Beatrice probably could have countered all of them with red truth.
I have to admit that due to the language barrier, the red I listed was a paraphrasing of the red and not a directly phrased translation that Witch-Hunt is more capable of.

Well my translation/paraphrasing/etc. of the red was very similar to Witch-Hunt's but I guess they'd be more correct. Even then however I do have to concede, the red didn't make a concession on a specific door, which again assuming you had the means to knock on another door strong enough to make it heard it is fairly possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamar View Post
I don't see how that translation in any way indicates that they heard a knock. All it seems to be saying is no-one misheard a knock. It's possible there was no sound to be misheard at all, based on that text.
There was specifically a knock, they all heard it and the VN says there was a knock, but what the red fails to indicate is that the knock was made specifically on the conference room door. Likewise the red states that while no one would mishear a knock, it doesn't say that they specifically hear it coming from said door.
Old 2009-12-27, 11:30   Link #4493
imaginari
Purupurupiko-Man

Location: My beloved hometown, the mackerel river running through it
Quote:
There was specifically a knock, they all heard it and the VN says there was a knock, but what the red fails to indicate is that the knock was made specifically on the conference room door. Likewise the red states that while no one would mishear a knock, it doesn't say that they specifically hear it coming from said door.
I haven't played the game yet, but the red text list that I saw a while ago said that
Spoiler for possible late game spoiler:
imaginari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 13:59   Link #4494
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Erika was in the guesthouse, and her theories all pretty much demand it. So she was not in the mansion to hear any knock. The red seems to suggest there was one, but I can see making an argument around it that they simply all lied.
Old 2009-12-27, 14:40   Link #4495
ijriims

No "knock", then one has to explain how Battler acquired the family ring. And don't just read the red texts, sometimes "anyone" can include someone unknown to be there, but sometimes not. It depends on the context.

For Hideyoshi's room, no one checked anything except the bathroom. Erika just "scanned the room" with her eyes and intended to open the wardrobe. So it was not impossible for someone other than Natsuhi to hide in that room.

After Hideyoshi's room incident, 10 hours of time was skipped and was not explicitly describled. But as Ryukishi07 said, one who has found the Answer can probably know what was going on after this 2nd twilight.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 14:46   Link #4496
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
For Hideyoshi's room, no one checked anything except the bathroom. Erika just "scanned the room" with her eyes and intended to open the wardrobe. So it was not impossible for someone other than Natsuhi to hide in that room.
Except all the other people are accounted for and therefore not hiding. Krauss' was confirmed to be dead soon after the mysterious man phone call. That only leaves the 5 who died in the first twilight.

As for the knock riddle there doesn't seem a way to get around it except by claiming that what it's been shown is significantly different than what really happened.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 14:51   Link #4497
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
One could further theorize that the First Twilight victims were also faking as part of a plot to pressure Krauss and Natsuhi into revealing the deception. The plot was discussed at the family conference while Krauss, Natsuhi, and Genji were away. Genji's purpose was to lead them away with the phone call, and later to fake his own death. The threatening phone call was perpetrated by the person claiming to be the Man From 19 Years Ago, and may or may not have actually been that man. However, he (or she) didn't tell anyone else that the story was actually true, and later, exploited the "fake" deaths and abduction of Krauss to actually kill the victims. Since the others were supposed to be faking it, and the bodies were not in an obvious location anymore, no one but the killer knew that the victims were dead. Thus, he could avoid all suspicion when he returned to the group because the killings were not part of the plan, and they didn't know he had his own objective.
There's a snag with this motive. Battler was at the conference with the adults, and he also participated in the deception regarding the first twilight victims, so it seems like he's part of the conspiracy. But if the purpose of the conspiracy was to force Natsuhi and Krauss to reveal Kinzo's death, then why did Battler come to Natsuhi's defense in the study? The closed room Erika constructed should have been exactly what the conspirators wanted, and Natsuhi might have cracked if Battler hadn't jumped in.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 15:37   Link #4498
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Except all the other people are accounted for and therefore not hiding. Krauss' was confirmed to be dead soon after the mysterious man phone call. That only leaves the 5 who died in the first twilight.

As for the knock riddle there doesn't seem a way to get around it except by claiming that what it's been shown is significantly different than what really happened.
In my hypothesis, Genji was hiding in that room. At that time (after Natsuhi left for hiding, others people thought she was going back to her room, of course except the 19th boy), Eva and Hideyoshi had already been to check the "dead people from 1st twilight" (using acting hypothesis here) but cannot found them, most probably they could only find a pool of blood like in Krauss's room. Genji killed the other four after they evacuated to the hiding place, and moved the bodies to a different place.

A person (Kyrie in my hypothesis) suggested Eva and Hideyoshi not to worry much and went to rest. Hideyoshi moved ahead of Eva because he didn't want to cry in front of other people. If Eva also entered the room at the same time as Hideyoshi, she would have been killed as well.

After Natsuhi rushed out the room, Genji also left. He was latter killed by Kyrie during the 10hours missing time, maybe saying she wanted to go for washroom, and then slipped into his hiding place to kill him.

Anyway, since the six were affirmed dead by 24, if one say one has to stick with acting hypothesis, one needs to explain who killed the six and how it was done.

Hideyoshi's death was not affirmed by red texts, but judging from Eva's action (beating Natsuhi aggressively) at 24:00 5th Oct, she would not do so unless she truly believes Natsuhi killed George and Hideyoshi. So Hideyoshi's death was confirmed IMO

---------------------------------------------

The knock incident did happen. But not at 24:00 but before that. The bell ring was faked by GM Lambda, an evidence was that the 24:00 bell ring on 5th Oct happened twice, once at the beginning of the fantasy court, once after Battler grasped the truth and was to revive in ???. So, it showed that the bell ring could not be trusted, according to Knox rules #8.

The letter deliverer was Nanjo, he went back to the mansion while Erika was playing cards with the cousins, it was the time around 23:20 I guess. He returned to the guest house by 24:00.

Read carefully for the part of dicovering the letter on the floor and you would find that it was said that Shannon and Kanon remembered themselves to come to the parlor a little bit after 23:00, not what was previously shown as after 23:47.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 16:27   Link #4499
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Spoiler for Answer to the letter and the knocking?:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 16:31   Link #4500
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Li Jianliang that theory is quite popular but after reading the novel again I've noticed that Natsuhi's clock is mentioned as well and it says 0:07 which is pretty plausible considering some minutes must have passed.

So that clock should have been changed as well. But Natsuhi's door was locked so you'd have to suspect a servant to be involved.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote