AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-12-27, 16:37   Link #4501
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
So that clock should have been changed as well. But Natsuhi's door was locked so you'd have to suspect a servant to be involved.
It makes sense, because the guestroom on the first floor was unlocked as well, and someone must've unlocked Natsuhi's room to put the Autumn card there, too. It's always the servants, baaah. XD

Spoiler for Observations and theories concerning Hideyoshi's murder:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 16:45   Link #4502
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
The knock incident did happen. But not at 24:00 but before that. The bell ring was faked by GM Lambda, an evidence was that the 24:00 bell ring on 5th Oct happened twice, once at the beginning of the fantasy court, once after Battler grasped the truth and was to revive in ???. So, it showed that the bell ring could not be trusted, according to Knox rules #8.

The letter deliverer was Nanjo, he went back to the mansion while Erika was playing cards with the cousins, it was the time around 23:20 I guess. He returned to the guest house by 24:00.

Read carefully for the part of dicovering the letter on the floor and you would find that it was said that Shannon and Kanon remembered themselves to come to the parlor a little bit after 23:00, not what was previously shown as after 23:47.
How do you Explain Natsuhi's clock showing 0:07? It couldn't have possibly took her 40 or so minutes to get to her room after Genji told her about the call.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 16:48   Link #4503
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
There's a snag with this motive. Battler was at the conference with the adults, and he also participated in the deception regarding the first twilight victims, so it seems like he's part of the conspiracy. But if the purpose of the conspiracy was to force Natsuhi and Krauss to reveal Kinzo's death, then why did Battler come to Natsuhi's defense in the study? The closed room Erika constructed should have been exactly what the conspirators wanted, and Natsuhi might have cracked if Battler hadn't jumped in.
Some possible reasons:

1) Battler agreed to go along with the plan, but once Erika and Eva started really tearing into Natsuhi, he got pissed off and started to defend her. He was willing to pressure her, but Battler won't let them go too far. I theorize that Battler knew Kinzo was dead and may have suspected what Natsuhi was doing, but understood her reasons for doing so and realized it wasn't worth breaking her for financial gain when he'd just found the gold and thus solved most everyone's financial problems. Eva dislikes Natsuhi and Erika is just an ass, so they refused to stop even though it wasn't necessary.

2) Battler's part in the conspiracy was to play the role of the doubter. The purpose of the First Twilight "murders" was not to pressure Natsuhi, but to pressure Erika. People were suspicious of her presence on the island and - not aware of the Knox rules or anything - thought she might be up to something. Thus they created a plan to frame Natsuhi, but Battler's role is to defend Natsuhi and find flaws in Erika's arguments to see if she'll make a mistake when she gets upset. It's even possible to argue Natsuhi and Krauss were in on it; for all we know, they admitted Kinzo's death (after all, the gold would solve their problems too, and Battler would be generous) and agreed to participate in a plan to test Erika and see if she was up to something. Of course, that makes the Ushiromiya family very good actors, but then again, we know Natsuhi is.

3) An unorthodox theory: Battler knows something everyone else doesn't, related to his lie to Erika about seeing Kinzo and his presentation of the corpse of Kinzo. Whatever the plan was, he subtly works against it to cut Natsuhi some slack, because something that he has learned makes him sympathetic. Perhaps only Battler realizes that there might be a real culprit, and is playing himself against Erika and the conspirators goading her into framing Natsuhi in order to smoke out who it really is (he doesn't know yet which of the people is the one, but he thinks he may be able to figure it out based on what they say and do with Natsuhi).

EDIT: Regarding Hideyoshi, his behavior is very strange. He talks out loud; why? I don't talk to myself if I'm alone. He also cries rather audibly. I think he's doing this because he knows that someone can hear him.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 17:03   Link #4504
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
But if the purpose of the conspiracy was to force Natsuhi and Krauss to reveal Kinzo's death, then why did Battler come to Natsuhi's defense in the study? The closed room Erika constructed should have been exactly what the conspirators wanted, and Natsuhi might have cracked if Battler hadn't jumped in.
Spoiler:

Old 2009-12-27, 17:08   Link #4505
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijriims View Post
The knock incident did happen. But not at 24:00 but before that. The bell ring was faked by GM Lambda, an evidence was that the 24:00 bell ring on 5th Oct happened twice, once at the beginning of the fantasy court, once after Battler grasped the truth and was to revive in ???. So, it showed that the bell ring could not be trusted, according to Knox rules #8.

The letter deliverer was Nanjo, he went back to the mansion while Erika was playing cards with the cousins, it was the time around 23:20 I guess. He returned to the guest house by 24:00.

Read carefully for the part of dicovering the letter on the floor and you would find that it was said that Shannon and Kanon remembered themselves to come to the parlor a little bit after 23:00, not what was previously shown as after 23:47.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
After discussing the mystery with a friend, he came up with a feasible theory. The time in the dining room was only given by the dining room clock, which eerily tolled at 0AM right after the knocking. No other method of time-checking was used. What if the clock in the dinning room was off by a few minutes, a few minutes fast? That moment of 0AM the player sees was actually not 0AM but something like 11:58PM. In this case, it was possible for the culprit to knock, place the letter, quickly leave the mansion, and rejoin the guesthouse group before the real 0AM came about.
Red text violation in the theory that "The knock occured at a different time than what we were shown":

つまり、屋敷にいた人物全員が、ノック音の発生源とは成り得ない、という意味デス。……そしてこの“全員” とは、誰も把握していない、観測されていない人物であったとしても含みマス。
In short, this means it was impossible for any character within the mansion to be the source of a knocking SOUND. ....And 'any character' refers even to undiscovered people that no one has noticed.

Regardless of when the knock occured, if it really did occur it could not have occured from within the mansion.
Old 2009-12-27, 17:18   Link #4506
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Red text violation in the theory that "The knock occured at a different time than what we were shown":

つまり、屋敷にいた人物全員が、ノック音の発生源とは成り得ない、という意味デス。……そしてこの“全員” とは、誰も把握していない、観測されていない人物であったとしても含みマス。
In short, this means it was impossible for any character within the mansion to be the source of a knocking SOUND. ....And 'any character' refers even to undiscovered people that no one has noticed.

Regardless of when the knock occured, if it really did occur it could not have occured from within the mansion.
What makes you say that? The "undiscovered people" thing seems to apply to the "at 24:00" red text. No one who was in the mansion at 24:00 was undiscovered and unnoticed, but if the knock didn't happen at 24:00, most of the red does not even apply.
Old 2009-12-27, 17:25   Link #4507
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Quote:

Lambdadelta repeatedly says the knock came right before 0AM, but she never leaves out '0AM', which I think is a big hint. No red text is ever given about "the clock is 100% accurate". All of Erika's observations are flawless, but she was not in the mansion to observe the clock tolling, therefore that part is solely up to the player's discretion as to if it was correct or not. Also, by saying that it didn't happen exactly there and then, it ruins the whole point of the mystery. Might as well start arguing the whole game is Ange's daydream.

Old 2009-12-27, 17:47   Link #4508
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Spoiler:
According to Dlanor, it's impossible to make a piece behave out of character. Regardless of what Bern or Lambda wanted to do at that point, it would be OOC for Battler to suddenly throw away one of his goals for no reason.
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 17:48   Link #4509
luckyssol

Quote:
Lambdadelta repeatedly says the knock came right before 0AM, but she never leaves out '0AM', which I think is a big hint. No red text is ever given about "the clock is 100% accurate". All of Erika's observations are flawless, but she was not in the mansion to observe the clock tolling, therefore that part is solely up to the player's discretion as to if it was correct or not. Also, by saying that it didn't happen exactly there and then, it ruins the whole point of the mystery. Might as well start arguing the whole game is Ange's daydream.
There is no point to changing the time on the clock. Can you give just one clue where someone on the game board might have done this?
If the argument is that the clock just stopped telling time properly was there any clue that could indicate this?
If there is no clue then this solution is in violation of Knox Article 8

Sorry, it's not realistic.
I'm not saying I've come with anything better though.
Old 2009-12-27, 17:56   Link #4510
chronotrig

We see the letter and hear the knock because everyone in the room at the time lied to Krauss and said that this happened. They all shared in the same lie, so it was possible for the "magic" to be shown during the game, even though there was no knock and the letter was written by Eva and friends.

You have to find loopholes in the red for this to work, but I think you can argue that Lambda only says "they never misheard a knock", not "there was a knock that couldn't have been misheard". If you think about it, the letter is ridiculously advantageous to the other siblings. It means that even if Kinzo goes missing, they still have evidence that he passed the headship on to Battler.

I don't have a full theory here though...

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 17:58   Link #4511
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Quote:
There is no point to changing the time on the clock. Can you give just one clue where someone on the game board might have done this?
If there is no clue then this solution is in violation of Knox Article 8

Sorry, it's not realistic.
I'm not saying I've come with anything better though.
It's the opposite that violates Rule 8. Rule 8 of Knox. Solving by clues not displayed is prohibited...!!. The clock is shown and Lambdadelta specifically states "0AM", so those two are most likely key to solving the mystery. If someone else did it elsewhere, then it must be shown or hinted to not violate Rule 8. The culprit might have manipulated clock, but indeed that doesn't appear to have any bearing on the story. This mystery is mainly one that Bernkastel and Lambdadelta used to humiliate Erika with, and Erika eventually gives up and doesn't come back to it.

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2009-12-27 at 20:05.
Old 2009-12-27, 18:06   Link #4512
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
We see the letter and hear the knock because everyone in the room at the time lied to Krauss and said that this happened. They all shared in the same lie, so it was possible for the "magic" to be shown during the game, even though there was no knock and the letter was written by Eva and friends.

You have to find loopholes in the red for this to work, but I think you can argue that Lambda only says "they never misheard a knock", not "there was a knock that couldn't have been misheard". If you think about it, the letter is ridiculously advantageous to the other siblings. It means that even if Kinzo goes missing, they still have evidence that he passed the headship on to Battler.

I don't have a full theory here though...
The main problem is the ring. We know someone who isn't Kinzo has it. It doesn't appear that Krauss and Natsuhi have it. Therefore, someone has it, and it's probably the same person every time.

So even if everybody faked the letter, someone had to also provide Battler with the signet ring. It's entirely possible that person was in on it of course, but they'd basically have to admit that they had the ring. If it was Genji, of course perhaps that's expected. If it was, say, Shannon...
Old 2009-12-27, 18:10   Link #4513
chronotrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
The main problem is the ring. We know someone who isn't Kinzo has it. It doesn't appear that Krauss and Natsuhi have it. Therefore, someone has it, and it's probably the same person every time.

So even if everybody faked the letter, someone had to also provide Battler with the signet ring. It's entirely possible that person was in on it of course, but they'd basically have to admit that they had the ring. If it was Genji, of course perhaps that's expected. If it was, say, Shannon...
Exactly, and the ring really is a serious problem. What did Krauss and Natsuhi do with it? Did they even find it on Kinzo's body? If the question arcs are indeed solvable, we should be able to guess who has the ring even without information from EP5, so it might be useless to try and solve this part until there's a consistent theory for EP4.

www.witch-hunt.com Theory page
chronotrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 21:08   Link #4514
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
It makes sense, because the guestroom on the first floor was unlocked as well, and someone must've unlocked Natsuhi's room to put the Autumn card there, too. It's always the servants, baaah. XD
I've noticed this only now. Let me say this:

At this point you are not only stating that someone changed the clock in the main all but that very same person also went as far as going into Natsuhi's room and change that clock as well. While the clock in the main hall is something everyone would hear and it is somehow justifiable, the clock in Natsuhi's room is something only Natsuhi could see. So it makes no sense to think the "culprit" would only change that.
Are you telling me that the culprit changed every single clock in the mansion? And how about wristwatches? Did those were changed as well?

I will say in blue that

Going that far and through all that hassle is practically impossible, and therefore the probability for this to have happened isn't higher than 1% unless a proper explanation is being given. But as far as I know, no one ever managed to give a proper explanation as to way someone would have tampered with the clocks.

Alternatively if your line of defense is that only the clock in the hall was changed or for some reasons runned late or earlier

Every person in the family meeting is an important figure in business world, it is a given that each one of them possess a wristwatch. It was stated that George had one, it is preposterous to think no one else had one. Given that fact it is definitely strange that no one noticed that there was something wrong with the clock in the main hall.

Old 2009-12-27, 21:53   Link #4515
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Exactly, and the ring really is a serious problem. What did Krauss and Natsuhi do with it? Did they even find it on Kinzo's body? If the question arcs are indeed solvable, we should be able to guess who has the ring even without information from EP5, so it might be useless to try and solve this part until there's a consistent theory for EP4.
Krauss was the one who suggested they take a break during the conference.

Rosa called Genji and said, "We're taking a break. Sorry, but could you make us something to drink? And maybe some biscuits would be nice too."
Genji responded, "Certainly, I will prepare it right away...."

I don't trust Rosa and Genji after episode 2.
Did they take advantage of the break in the conference?

After Genji and Krauss (why did Genji and Krauss return together?) returned from the break Genji noticed the ring and pointed out to Krauss. It's out of character for Genji point something out like that. I think it's clear he wanted Krauss to notice the ring immediately. Well, if Genji didn't point it out Krauss probably would have eventually noticed or one of the other adults would have directed Krauss's attention that way. However...

Someone from the conference may have ordered "preperations" to be made regarding the envelope and the ring during the break. It wasn't Genji who left the envelope but he could have been involved with contacting the one who actually did.
Old 2009-12-27, 22:14   Link #4516
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I definitely disagree with one thing you said.

It isn't out of character for Genji to notice the ring. In Ep1 is the one who notices Kinzo's ring is missing from his corpse and he points that out.

I think that whatever happened to the ring after Kinzo's death Genji is involved with that.

Old 2009-12-27, 22:20   Link #4517
luckyssol

Quote:
I definitely disagree with one thing you said.

It isn't out of character for Genji to notice the ring. In Ep1 is the one who notices Kinzo's ring is missing from his corpse and he points that out.

I think that whatever happened to the ring after Kinzo's death Genji is involved with that.
What I meant was Genji is normally reserved and doesn't speak unless someone speaks directly to him.
Old 2009-12-27, 22:47   Link #4518
Marion
The Great Dine

Well he was just surprised because he comes in and suddenly Battler has the ring. It's not like he never speaks unless someone tells him too
Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 23:02   Link #4519
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Quote:
At this point you are not only stating that someone changed the clock in the main all but that very same person also went as far as going into Natsuhi's room and change that clock as well. While the clock in the main hall is something everyone would hear and it is somehow justifiable, the clock in Natsuhi's room is something only Natsuhi could see. So it makes no sense to think the "culprit" would only change that.
Are you telling me that the culprit changed every single clock in the mansion? And how about wristwatches? Did those were changed as well?

I will say in blue that

Going that far and through all that hassle is practically impossible, and therefore the probability for this to have happened isn't higher than 1% unless a proper explanation is being given. But as far as I know, no one ever managed to give a proper explanation as to way someone would have tampered with the clocks.

Alternatively if your line of defense is that only the clock in the hall was changed or for some reasons runned late or earlier

Every person in the family meeting is an important figure in business world, it is a given that each one of them possess a wristwatch. It was stated that George had one, it is preposterous to think no one else had one. Given that fact it is definitely strange that no one noticed that there was something wrong with the clock in the main hall.
I want to say the clock being off is just a minor incidence that has no significant bearing on the meat of the game, so it wouldn't matter if someone else checked the clock against watches or other timekeepers. The clock just happened to be off; maybe one of the overarching witches did it to humiliate Erika with a seemingly chronologically impossible situation. If Erik happened to be in the room, then I wager this mystery wouldn't have been so, because Erika easily could've checked the time (the detective cannot miss anything important and the detective's words must not be false) with some crazy method. Also, the people in the dining room just discovered enough gold to last 10 lifetimes and trying to get on each other's good side, I doubt anyone would be fastidious about "hey the clock's a minute fast!!" George wasn't in the room. It was a pendulum clock that chimed, I believe, which usually has a hutch over the clock face that prevents people from touching it and doing a quick manual fix job on the spot.

Old 2009-12-27, 23:08   Link #4520
Kamar
Author Wannabe

I'd really like a confirmation that the original Japanese said in unambiguous terms that the knock actually happened, because everything I saw in the English translation was either vague or seemed worded to intentionally mislead you into thinking a knock that didn't happen did happen.

People keep saying "it definitely said it happened" but I thought I was paying pretty close attention to the wording and if there was something that unambiguous IN RED I totally missed it. (Admittedly I was up ~6 hours past when I'd normally go to sleep, so yeah).

It just seems REALLY suspicious to me that LD was so quick to jump in with something as oddly worded as "No one misheard a knock" (or whatever the exact wording was) after being so stingy with it.
Kamar is offline   Reply With Quote