AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-05, 22:59   Link #2461
August138

Again, whatever Europeans are getting hit with is frankly not the problem of Bandai Visual, Amazon Japan, or whatever service one can buy the Blu-rays from. Would I like them to be cheaper? Sure, in a perfect world, but we live in reality, and this is what the situation is — it's a market dictated by the set price of Japanese home video releases. This is something I really love and really want to see, so I'm willing to pay a premium to do so — and it's been worth every, single US Cent to me. Your milage may vary — that's up to you.

I don't watch a lot of current anime all the way through; most of it has no appeal to me, with some rare exceptions (like FLOWERS OF EVIL), but even those I regularly watch, I don't need to own them —I just want to see them once, and I'm done. I'm a YAMATO fan and YAMATO: 2199 is something that I can enjoy over and over and share with friends — and out of a lot other series being currently produced, even in the last few years, this one will stand the test of time.
Old 2013-07-06, 05:49   Link #2462
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
Again, whatever Europeans are getting hit with is frankly not the problem of Bandai Visual, Amazon Japan, or whatever service one can buy the Blu-rays from. Would I like them to be cheaper? Sure, in a perfect world, but we live in reality, and this is what the situation is — it's a market dictated by the set price of Japanese home video releases. This is something I really love and really want to see, so I'm willing to pay a premium to do so — and it's been worth every, single US Cent to me. Your milage may vary — that's up to you.

I don't watch a lot of current anime all the way through; most of it has no appeal to me, with some rare exceptions (like FLOWERS OF EVIL), but even those I regularly watch, I don't need to own them —I just want to see them once, and I'm done. I'm a YAMATO fan and YAMATO: 2199 is something that I can enjoy over and over and share with friends — and out of a lot other series being currently produced, even in the last few years, this one will stand the test of time.
Just that those things are not sold by amazon directly but by japanese companies, who have no additonal costs when selling it to other countries. In fact they even increase their market range resulting in greater profits.
So its a bit peculiar to ask for 30 Euro more than they'd ask for in their own country, while in theory one could just go to japan taking 3 friends with him, buy 6 blu rays and get away without customs if one distributes the blu-rays before the plane back starts off between the 3 of them.

The problem is also not if Yamato will stand the test of time, the problem is whether the blu-ray will.
Again, I can see how a theater version would cost more (though isn't it just the normal episodes combined to a movie oO? ).

And I wouldn't say its not bandai's problem either because in the world of billions of people having internet and just need to go to some streaming site to watch it they are better off making it as available as possible then risking to that said mass will just go watch a stream.
Another point is that whoever directly sells them makes 50 EUR less profit at some point of history because no one wants the ware anymore.

Another thing you have to mind is that they will inevitably get cheaper after a while, due to the company having to keep them available, because as you already mentioned Yamato is something that will last. However the more available they are the less they can ask for, so yeah its definitely more profitable to make them as available as possible to everyone from the start than charging other countries 30 Euro more than they ask for in their own country.

In fact I just checked the US Amazon page and I would be off 20 euro cheaper when buying it there rather than from the japanese import companies. They pretty much ask for the same price they do on the US market which is a mistake since the Euro has atma higher value than the USD.

Either way there is a shop in my hometown that might be able to order them for me for accpetable prices, I will see that next month when they get back from their vacation...

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2013-07-06 at 06:10.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-06, 06:39   Link #2463
August138

Unfortunately, you have to understand the Japanese market. I have worked in this business for many years. Companies like Bandai don't sell their DVDs and Blu-rays overseas, because they feel there's more money to be made by licensing the properties to foreign territories. And sometimes it's not possible because companies like Bandai are simply the domestic distributor, and they have no rights for foreign territories. The latter is true in the case of YAMATO: 2199, where Bandai Visual is a partner, but only for the domestic home video distribution, while the overseas distributors are Production I.G and Voyager Entertainment. In fact, they are offering "Star Blazers 2199" either as "7 Feature Films" or "26 half-hour episodes."

As for the prices of the Bandai Visual Blu-rays coming down in price; don't count on it. If they do a box set in the future, the price difference may only be nominal — I've been buying Japanese home video in the form of VHS, LD, DVD, and Blu-ray for many years, and it's rare when a company goes down on the price of a film or television series — especially hot licensing properties. I've got the original YAMATO '74 DVD box set from about a decade ago, the newer editions haven't been much cheaper. So, don't hold your breath for significantly lower prices.

Hopefully, Voyager and Production I.G will be able to sell the series to your locality, and then you don't have to worry about importing expensive discs from Japan. Personally, I'm not interested in double-dipping if and when a domestic US release comes down the line (if ever), because I've already got Vol. 1-6 (just waiting on Vol. 7), and unless the American licensor (if any) puts on a ton of extras and special features, and assembles some of the original voice cast from STAR BLAZERS for the English Dub, I could care less.

Good luck, though!
Old 2013-07-06, 06:54   Link #2464
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Finally caught up with Yamato. I'll compose a longer post once I get over the fangasm.

But I must say, Goel may be an idiot, but he's a loyal hound. Yamato characters have such amazing depth!
Old 2013-07-06, 13:56   Link #2465
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

With the idea of Star Blazers 2199 going around, I'd like to get soon sort of factual account of what happened to Voyager Entertainment Inc. in New Jersey and I believe Barry Winston who ran it. I've been getting mixed information on it this last year. One party says it is still around and involved, another says it is closed and gone.

Star Blazers rights are held by Voyager Entertainment USA Inc., which is the one presenting Star Blazers 2199.
Old 2013-07-07, 17:41   Link #2466
August138

DUBBED 2199! Production I.G and Voyager screened the first episode of SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: 2199 at Anime-Expo, under their international title, STAR BLAZERS 2199, which was English-dubbed! I'm sure that they only dubbed the first episode for promotional purposes, like a "pilot"; in any case, I'll be seeing this in a couple of weeks at Comic-Con in San Diego!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-at-anime-expo
Old 2013-07-07, 18:26   Link #2467
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by August138 View Post
DUBBED 2199! Production I.G and Voyager screened the first episode of SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: 2199 at Anime-Expo, under their international title, STAR BLAZERS 2199, which was English-dubbed! I'm sure that they only dubbed the first episode for promotional purposes, like a "pilot"; in any case, I'll be seeing this in a couple of weeks at Comic-Con in San Diego!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-at-anime-expo
When you come back pls tell us whether they changed Character names or cut out scenes again.
They might even have read anime forums and changed Atrgo to yamato again (yeah chances are slim)

Though worst mistake is 'tachyon cannon' you can't shoot tachyons at someone ><

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 18:47   Link #2468
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think that was the principle behind the Wave Motion Engine in the orignial. Compressing tachyons which move faster than light to allow the engine to work. The Wave Motion Gun was using the tachyons as a focused blast. At least that's what's in the old technical manual from the late 1990s.
Old 2013-07-08, 05:10   Link #2469
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I don't know, if I had a problem with Yamato, is that for all the Wave Motion stuff, everything acts very particle weaponish.

But I don't and someone would smack me with quantum physics at this point, so...
Old 2013-07-08, 06:11   Link #2470
macdawson

Ok, quantum physics smack... the cat is both dead and alive until you open the box. The same could be said of Mirenel... XDDD
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 09:10   Link #2471
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I think that was the principle behind the Wave Motion Engine in the orignial. Compressing tachyons which move faster than light to allow the engine to work. The Wave Motion Gun was using the tachyons as a focused blast. At least that's what's in the old technical manual from the late 1990s.
I don't think they had ever mentioned tachyons whatsoever in the original. It makes more sense using gravitons and/or gravitational wave as a theory which I favor as a student of theoretical physics anyways.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 19:45   Link #2472
macdawson

Has anyone else noticed that this forum is now indicating that Yamato 2199 is Licensed for DVD/BD in the USA?
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 20:04   Link #2473
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Be nice to know with who. Unless Voyager Entertainment USA Inc counts.
Old 2013-07-08, 21:22   Link #2474
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Has anyone else noticed that this forum is now indicating that Yamato 2199 is Licensed for DVD/BD in the USA?
Wha? Why was the license prefix added? I'd sure like to read the source for that. I know it's being shopped around, but I haven't heard about any US buyers yet. Would certainly love for this to be true though.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 22:18   Link #2475
HybridBloodsZak

Here you go, Voyager Entertainment has the license

http://starblazers.com/news.html#130703
HybridBloodsZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 22:40   Link #2476
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

But it hasn't been picked up yet. We think they are marketing to get it picked up.
Old 2013-07-09, 00:01   Link #2477
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Okay, my mistake.

I guess that the Anime Expo stuff fooled me into thinking that it was "just as good as licensed."
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 00:12   Link #2478
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I suppose we will know when they have something to actually sell or put on the air outside Japan.
Old 2013-07-09, 05:17   Link #2479
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Okay, my mistake.

I guess that the Anime Expo stuff fooled me into thinking that it was "just as good as licensed."
After the uproar over "Argo" in the subtitles while the Japanese audio says "Yamato" in the trailer, it's got a rocky start.
Old 2013-07-09, 05:21   Link #2480
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridBloodsZak View Post
Here you go, Voyager Entertainment has the license

http://starblazers.com/news.html#130703
Voyager Entertainment produced the show and they are offering the show for international sales through their US office in Los Angeles. They are not distributing it themselves — they are the licensor and they are waiting to sign deals with potential licensees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I don't think they had ever mentioned tachyons whatsoever in the original. It makes more sense using gravitons and/or gravitational wave as a theory which I favor as a student of theoretical physics anyways.
Yes, Tachyons are indeed mentioned in the original series — that's how I heard the term for the first time — when Chief Engineer Tokugawa explains the Wave Motion Engine to Kodai and Shima in the second episode, IIRC. Okita mentions it again, when explaining the Wave Motion Gun to the two young space cadets in the next episode, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
After the uproar over "Argo" in the subtitles while the Japanese audio says "Yamato" in the trailer, it's got a rocky start.
Just to clarify; these things we're seeing are just promotional tools to sell the series to a potential licensee. None of them have to use any of the translations or name changes that are in these promos — that will be up to the licensee. If Funimation buys the series, it will be sub and dub, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the English Subtitles will be faithful translations of the Japanese dialogue. As for the English Dub, they most likely would be a straight dub of the transliterated Japanese dialogue — or a dub based on the STAR BLAZERS names and situations. They don't even have to use the name "Star Blazers" if they don't want to. That is, unless there's some clause in Voyager's licensing contracts — but I don't see how any potential licensee would want to sign such a restrictive contract. Unless there's going to be some ancillary products from Voyager involved...

Still, I have the Japanese Blu-rays, so ultimately it doesn't matter too much for me.

Last edited by August138; 2013-07-09 at 11:41.
August138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato