AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-02, 11:41   Link #21
kari-no-sugata

With regards to the setting, it was hard to follow everything but I think the planet ep 1 is set on is a bit of a backwater place from the point of view of the whole of "Union". The two competing groups are spread over the entire galaxy after all. I think the training place is not much more than the single training spot for that one planet - they don't have much in the way of technology, so they train pilots.

So you have a mostly low-tech planet with a pilot training facility dumped on it. I think.

I get the feeling that this planet is just a tiny spec overall: the higher ups were really shocked at being attacked - "why bother with us" sort of thing.
Old 2006-11-02, 13:01   Link #22
DangerMouse

Ah, since I wasn't following the dialogue, I should have known that I'd "zoom" in on things and not really "take everything in" and therefore not think of things that I'd normally think of much more quickly.

Thanks ALOT for voicing that info, I don't know why I wasn't thinking of this being just some backwater planet with a training facility *smacks head, so obvious*. For all I know, they might have even blatantly said it was, but since I can't follow the dialogue I think that sounds very accurate and definitely explains the odd juxtoposition of both the old-fashioned areas of the school and the pilot training areas of what's the same building (almost like they retrofitted an old college building) as well as the farm-like environment outside the school (that I didn't see on my first skim through the raw, I guess that might explain why it didn't cross my mind), not to mention how little focus the planet itself seemed to get and how quickly they leave it. Also the way the technology is integrated into the old-style lecture hall with it's wooden chairs seems a lot more fitting now.

I've already gone into detail about how I love the look and feel of the show, now hopefully a subbing group will pick it up so I can really enjoy it.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2006-11-02 at 13:33.
Old 2006-11-02, 16:15   Link #23
kari-no-sugata

With regards to fan-subs... though it's nice having two eps to kick things off (I hope more do this), it does make it a bit harder for the fan-subbers - since it's better to release both together, which takes more time.

Given how good this show looks to be, I think it's just a matter of time. However, I'm surprised by the limited response in this thread.

Spoiler for minor spoilers for ep 2:
Old 2006-11-02, 18:23   Link #24
DangerMouse

The two ep kick-off was an excellent move especially with quite the unique first two episodes here
Spoiler:
I definitely agree more shows should try this (just like they do with extended premieres for some US shows), especially more plot-centric shows. I don't mind if it takes longer for the fansubs to come out since I do think it would be smart to release both episodes at the same time for the same viewing experience, I just want to know someone's doing it

I'm going to guess that it's just because it's one of the first new shows after the massive deluge of new anime in October. I hope it won't be long before news starts spreading especially with how good this looks as you said. I love how quickly and unexpectedly they've kicked things off. As well as how the first real battle was both personal and still had several craft at the same time. I really hope they have the option for atleast a second set of 13 episodes if they need it, so that they don't have to rush and can maybe eventually ramp up to the "large scale" stuff we were talking about.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2006-11-02 at 19:09.
Old 2006-11-02, 19:35   Link #25
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Oh man, I just watched the first episode of this.
It's amazing! The 3D CG looks decent in most places and the music is just great.

The first episode managed to introduce the story pretty well and
Spoiler:

Soukou no Strain seems to have potential as a sci-fi series.
Old 2006-11-02, 21:38   Link #26
Key Board
Carbon

I find it to be better than Code Geass

probably because it's less of a nagging political propaganda
Old 2006-11-02, 21:46   Link #27
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

Maybe you're looking too deeply into this "political propaganda".
But Code Geass itself is pretty good. In fact, both Code Geass and Soukou no Strain are shaping up to be some of the best mecha series I've seen, so far.

Just finished watching ep.2, but doesn't it piss you off to know that there's always this bitchy antagonistic character who makes the protagonist's life hell? The music is still pretty good, and her mecha isn't so uberly powerful anymore compared to ep1. Though I guess that would give Sara some room for improvement further into the series.
It'd be interesting to know why
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-02, 22:43   Link #28
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I wonder who's going to sub this? Any news?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
Old 2006-11-02, 23:25   Link #29
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
According to here:

http://fansub.andrewlb.com/pukiwiki.php?Fall%202006

....ureshii might do it though it seems like Shinsen is doing it as well.
Old 2006-11-03, 00:24   Link #30
DangerMouse

Cool. I'm not familiar with Ureshii except that I know they subbed Gonzo's first theatrical feature which I haven't seen just yet. I'll check out their release because I'd like to see how they are since I was shocked no one else subbed that movie and they will probably continue to pick up oddly overlooked projects, and it's not like I've not downloaded two versions of a series before.

Oh, given how much potential this has to be a hit I was hoping Shinsen might pick it up if they could manage another series. Since I'm not too familiar with how reliable Ureshii is at sticking to their projects and I like many of Shinsen's releases (they are handling even extremely tough translations like the cool show Bakamatsu really well), I'm glad Shinsen will also be doing it since there will no doubt be tons of scifi technobabble and series specific terms (even just judging from the early entries in the website which will no doubt be added to as we go).

Two groups thinking of picking up Soukou no Strain just made my day.
Old 2006-11-03, 01:41   Link #31
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
I watched the two episodes back to back this morning and it was so good that I was in a sour mood for the rest of the day <_<;

From the two episodes, it looks like the writers know what they are doing. I'm looking forward to the next 11 episodes. Let's see if they can make their ending as good as their opening.

Now if only the opening music weren't so cheesy... >_>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
I still don't know why we need old-fashioned military uniforms and school buildings in shows set in the future, but whatever.
I guess I wasn't the only one who nearly fell out of his chair when the horse and carriage showed up. XD

Now, a bit about terminology... the pilots of the Strains are called リーズナー. Any guesses on the etymology of that term? Could it refer to some famous Riesner in history? Or is it a mangled version of "Leader"?

A lot of the terminology from Simoun had classical roots, so I was wondering where the writers got their terminology from. From a brief skimming, it feels Germanic.

Other terminology:

ユニオン - Union: "The good guys"; possibly a union of planetary governments; Stresses quality over quantity
ディーグ - Deague: According to the website, it's an imperial government. Perhaps a degenerated form of teikoku? Stresses quantity over quality
トゥモール - Tumor: Tactical Unmanned Maneuver ORb, Unmanned attack vehicles/machines, used by the Deague
ストレイン - Strain: STRategic Armored Infantry
ウィーレック - Werec(shown in ep1): Sara and Ralph's last name.
ギャンビー - Gambee: General Axis Motorized Battle Exoskeleton Equipment
ミミック - Mimic: Ministerial Instrument of Mercurion Interface Core (wow... where do they come up with this stuff -.-)
グロワール - ???: The type of Strain the Deague employs
フリッサー - ???: The type of Strain used by the Union

EDIT: Interesting... someone on 2ch says that the character names are based on Frances Hodgson Burnett's works...

EDIT2: Here are the names I've pulled from the 2ch post:

From - A Little Princess:

Sara
Ralph (He is Sara's father in this book, a captain of the British army who passes away)
Emily (Emily is Sara's doll)
Becky
Lottie
Lavinia
Ermengarde
Dufarge
Carrisford
Carmichael
Barrow
Melchisedec
Jessie
Isobel ( the show has it as Isabella)
Mariette

From The Secret Garden:
Mary
Colin
Dickon
Martha
Medlock
Craven

Last edited by zalas; 2006-11-03 at 14:41. Reason: Updated spelling for Sara and Werec
Old 2006-11-03, 07:20   Link #32
kari-no-sugata

btw, why is the main character's name being written as Sarah or Sara? In katakata, Sara would be written as: サラ

In Japanese, her name is written セーラ so "Sela" or "Sayla" seems like how it would be romanised.
Old 2006-11-03, 07:26   Link #33
StanAce
Opinionated Fool

It is shown in episode one that her name is Sara Werec at about 5 minutes into ep1. Don't know why they pronounce it セラ instead of サラ though...

And Ralph isn't Sara's father, he's her brother and currently the villain... >_>;;
Old 2006-11-03, 10:47   Link #34
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
It is shown in episode one that her name is Sara Werec at about 5 minutes into ep1.
So it is....

And, I found it written as Sara again in ep 2 (though reversed and hard to read) so it doesn't seem to be a mistake.

Quote:
Don't know why they pronounce it セラ instead of サラ though...
Maybe "Sara" is pronounced "Se-ra" in the future...?
Old 2006-11-03, 12:34   Link #35
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I've watched the two episodes. Not bad, not bad at all. I'll be watching this for sure, especially since I have a weak spot for mecha anime with a tough female lead.

By the way, I really didn't notice the char-design similarity with Rozen Maiden until the end of episode 1 and the end of episode 2 when
Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-03, 14:02   Link #36
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
So it is....

And, I found it written as Sara again in ep 2 (though reversed and hard to read) so it doesn't seem to be a mistake.

Maybe "Sara" is pronounced "Se-ra" in the future...?
"Sera" is pronounced just like the English name. "Sara" in Japanese doesn't sond the same. That's why Japanese spell it Sera instead of Sara.
Old 2006-11-03, 14:15   Link #37
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Spoiler:
Yeah she's the only character who I see the similarity with mainly because of the clothes.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2006-11-03 at 14:40.
Old 2006-11-03, 14:39   Link #38
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAce View Post
It is shown in episode one that her name is Sara Werec at about 5 minutes into ep1. Don't know why they pronounce it セラ instead of サラ though...

And Ralph isn't Sara's father, he's her brother and currently the villain... >_>;;
セーラ is the official transliteration of Sara from the Japanese version of A Little Princess. And I'm saying Ralph Crewe is Sara Crewe's father in A Little Princess, not the show. And nice catch on the name printout in the show :3

Apparently, there's an animated rendition of A Little Princess that ran about 46 episodes in World Masterpiece Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Yeah she's the only character who I see the similarity with mainly because of the clothes.
I think it's more accurate to say that the doll design from Rozen Maiden and this show are all based on dolls from the same historical era and not really related to each other.
Old 2006-11-03, 16:14   Link #39
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for ep1:

Spoiler for ep2:
Old 2006-11-03, 17:01   Link #40
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

Just watched the first two episodes. I didn't expect this show to be this good. I was shocked by the events in episode 1. It was totally unexpected that
Spoiler:

I am already rooting for Sara to succeed. Can't wait for the next episode.
Closed Thread