Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-05-10, 16:08   Link #1941
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitok View Post
Now let's wait for Houkago Translation team for our last chapter... *cries*
Second to last, isn't it? Next month it the last one, I believe.
Old 2012-05-10, 16:49   Link #1942
azziz

two k-on chapt. lenght=one normal one so he's perhaps no wrong.
azziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 11:51   Link #1943
novalysis

Nao isn't that boring a character. I can't understand the general distaste for her- for one, she's an interesting archetype not yet seen before. And Surime may outwardly seem like Mugi Mk II, but there are indeed subtle, and fascinating differences.

The problem with the University Manga is that it expanded the cast so vast, yet tried to stick with the status quo. I'd imagine what most fans of the original four wanted was for the cast to be shown on the road to going pro.

However, I would have to agree with those who argue that the High School chapters are superior to the University Chapters, despite the change of characters. And personally, I'm of the take that K-on is a manga about characters in a club. Not the story of Yui and her three friends. And it seems that's the direction the author is going to take too, if he continues with the High School Chapters.

The ultimate test though, is whether he can keep coming up with a different group dynamic and different, yet equally compelling characters. I personally don't see a problem if he can't, but I guess there's quite alot who insist that the Four characters are one off unique phenomena in their character interactions, and are irreplacable, and that their story is "potentially interesting". Which it could be certainly, if their plot-line actually went somewhere.

Really, the four characters life story by this stage can't fit a 4koma in my opinion. The life issues involved are too complex for that.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 20:28   Link #1944
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Spoiler for University Chapter 12:
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 21:17   Link #1945
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Would fit nicely if KyoAni decide to make the series into an OVA or something
Old 2012-05-11, 21:34   Link #1946
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Spoiler for :
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 02:30   Link #1947
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Nao isn't that boring a character. I can't understand the general distaste for her- for one, she's an interesting archetype not yet seen before. And Surime may outwardly seem like Mugi Mk II, but there are indeed subtle, and fascinating differences.

The problem with the University Manga is that it expanded the cast so vast, yet tried to stick with the status quo. I'd imagine what most fans of the original four wanted was for the cast to be shown on the road to going pro.

However, I would have to agree with those who argue that the High School chapters are superior to the University Chapters, despite the change of characters. And personally, I'm of the take that K-on is a manga about characters in a club. Not the story of Yui and her three friends. And it seems that's the direction the author is going to take too, if he continues with the High School Chapters.

The ultimate test though, is whether he can keep coming up with a different group dynamic and different, yet equally compelling characters. I personally don't see a problem if he can't, but I guess there's quite alot who insist that the Four characters are one off unique phenomena in their character interactions, and are irreplacable, and that their story is "potentially interesting". Which it could be certainly, if their plot-line actually went somewhere.

Really, the four characters life story by this stage can't fit a 4koma in my opinion. The life issues involved are too complex for that.
You’ve made a good point there. Even though I support the university side of things, I can see why you would want High School Manga to continue rotating new characters. While you are entitled to your own preference and opinion, I think for most people, it all comes down to two things:

1. Whether you prefer new characters or new settings?

Some people may find setting in High School boring since a lot of other 4-koma has done it before and view University setting as more refreshing with old characters transfer to new environment and encounter new people and situations.

Quote:
I guess there's quite alot who insist that the Four characters are one off unique phenomena in their character interactions, and are irreplacable, and that their story is "potentially interesting". Which it could be certainly, if their plot-line actually went somewhere.
You made it sound like plot will go somewhere if we keep rotating characters in High School. In my opinion, with new characters remaining in High School, it’s like recycling the same event all over again but with new characters including new term, school trip, beach episode, school festival and so on. With university setting however, old characters have potential to experience new things thay never had in High School, for example taking different majors, making new friends, joining new and much larger club, practice with someone outside their own band, and thinking more about their future. And that is my own definition of breaking status quo.

On the other hand, others may find new characters more interesting and want to see more of them. Some may starting to feel tired of old faces after 3 years of high school and would welcome new ones for the sake of variety as long as the author is skilled at creating new characters have interesting personality and dynamics. I acknowledge that characters is what defines status quo for them, and I respect their opinion on that matter.

2. How much is your feeling of attachment with the original casts?

If you’re deeply attached to old characters, they’re irreplaceable period. Those people will never feel sick or tired of them and some may even want to follow them to university to see them adapting to new settings and grow into fine adults. Going pro just like you said is one of those things which may not interested you, but there are others who may be looking forward to it. I also don't see anything wrong with people feeling attached to the original four/five.

Quote:
Not that I mind your opinion, but there are those who may think differently.

P.S I agreed with your opinion that Nao isn't boring.
Old 2012-05-12, 07:08   Link #1948
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
You’ve made a good point there. Even though I support the university side of things, I can see why you would want High School Manga to continue rotating new characters. While you are entitled to your own preference and opinion, I think for most people, it all comes down to two things:

1. Whether you prefer new characters or new settings?

Some people may find setting in High School boring since a lot of other 4-koma has done it before and view University setting as more refreshing with old characters transfer to new environment and encounter new people and situations.
True. But then again, were the University chapters as interesting as the High School ones? No, not in my opinion, perhaps it was because it was trying to shoehorn a plot that really struggles to fit into the 4-koma length.

Also, I suspect that my views on the University Chapters have been tainted by the excellent character expansion brought by the anime itself. So, looking it from the lens of an anime viewer, the University Chapters feel... lacking. Like there's more that can be done, but 4-koma is the wrong medium to convey that coming of age story.

The attempt to move from gags to more serious stuff just can't be fitted into a 4-koma elegantly, IMO.

Quote:
You made it sound like plot will go somewhere if we keep rotating characters in High School. In my opinion, with new characters remaining in High School, it’s like recycling the same event all over again but with new characters including new term, school trip, beach episode, school festival and so on. With university setting however, old characters have potential to experience new things thay never had in High School, for example taking different majors, making new friends, joining new and much larger club, practice with someone outside their own band, and thinking more about their future. And that is my own definition of breaking status quo.
Yes. I actually think rotating character does open the possibility of the plot going somewhere. One of the criticisms of K-on is that the five members never ever seemed to go beyond being the collection of gags of moe girls with interesting dynamics forming an amateur band. Which the anime expanded into an excellent, and humorous story of four friends that could not be as well conveyed in 4-koma format.

With new members, with different aims and dynamics, the plot and growth of the club could go very differently. Perhaps, for example, one particular group actually reaches semi-pro and plays in the Bukodan together. Or a group of Middle School friends enter a club with the remnants of the previous cast, playing up the concept of Sempai-Kohai which did not exist strongly in the Original five, Yui not being very Sempai-like anyway.

Or we could have a budding solo teen-idol among the cast, who sees the club as a place to chillout- and along the way acquires a band of her own.

So, there's alot of possibilities here with a rotating cast, since different dynamics, backgrounds and personalities if done thoughtfully would lead to a different sequence of development. Now, whether this materializes is another question, but certainly, the possibility for a different plot even in the same setting is there, if the author is willing to be imaginative. Of course, that's just an optimistic projection, but that'd probably be the only way for the entire Franchise itself to continue for much longer.

Quote:
On the other hand, others may find new characters more interesting and want to see more of them. Some may starting to feel tired of old faces after 3 years of high school and would welcome new ones for the sake of variety as long as the author is skilled at creating new characters have interesting personality and dynamics. I acknowledge that characters is what defines status quo for them, and I respect their opinion on that matter.
That's essentially my stance yes. You've put it way better than I think I have. Let's face it. K-on lives or dies by it's character dynamics. The anime was lauded because it really, really focused hard on expaning character dynamics and even development. Especially in the Second season.

Quote:
2. How much is your feeling of attachment with the original casts?

If you’re deeply attached to old characters, they’re irreplaceable period. Those people will never feel sick or tired of them and some may even want to follow them to university to see them adapting to new settings and grow into fine adults. Going pro just like you said is one of those things which may not interested you, but there are others who may be looking forward to it. I also don't see anything wrong with people feeling attached to the original four/five.
Nor do I. But what I disagree with is that High School K-on would suck, without the four... because... well, Yui and Co are not there. The High School Chapter so far haven't give us reason to declare that yet- indeed, if Kakifly can keep pumping up unique and even deep characters, K-on as a franchise centered on the history of a particular High School club would remain viable, and probably even popular.

Furthermore, I don't think that there has been a major anime/manga franchise that's all about the history and the people in a single club. That's really, really unique and original IMO if K-on chooses to go down the route, and recycle it's characters every 100+ chapters. That's just one possibility of course, but it's one that the High School Arcs would probably have to adopt, unless the author is planning to end the entire franchise itself. At which point, we'd eagerly await Kakifly's next work, no doubt.

Quote:
Not that I mind your opinion, but there are those who may think differently.

P.S I agreed with your opinion that Nao isn't boring.
It's the fact that Nao's interesting that gives me hope that the High School Manga, if it continues may well be viable even after Azusa, Jun and Ui leaves.

Now, if she was an awful character, then I would be definitely siding with those who insist that Kakifly stick with the story of Yui and her Four close friends, and eschew the original K-on club. Leaving poor Sawako Sensei all alone....

If K-on does have a third season, I wonder whether they'd split between University and High School Chapters. I think there's nearly enough for one cour now, if I'm not wrong? Correct me please, if I'm being too optimistic.

The University Chapters may well work very, very well as an anime, with appropriate expansions and elaborations of things skimmed passed due to 4-koma space constraints.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-12, 23:32   Link #1949
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
If K-on does have a third season, I wonder whether they'd split between University and High School Chapters. I think there's nearly enough for one cour now, if I'm not wrong?
Depending on just how much the anime staff are willing to expand the story, there's more than enough material. Do take note that the second season of K-On was based on just two volumes worth of strips; the first season, with 12 episodes, also was just from two volumes, which comes to show just how much was added to S2.
Old 2012-05-13, 03:13   Link #1950
JPblueser
Guitarded

What? The college storyline is going to end? O.o :S
*shocked*

Still... It's too early to know for sure what is going to happen.
I guess we can only wait and hope for the best.

I must say it has been a nice ride, nevertheless.
=D
Old 2012-05-13, 06:11   Link #1951
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for new chapter:
Old 2012-05-13, 12:44   Link #1952
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

WOAH !!! Sachi has a reverse Firebird. What is with these college student with the EXPENSIVE guitars (and basses) ?

edit: Thunderbird !!! Right. THX GMT.. Not Firebird. That's the guitar. not the bass. Looks like a Thunderbird IV at that. Noting the tuners.

Last edited by Bikerider; 2012-05-14 at 17:26.
Bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 13:20   Link #1953
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
WOAH !!! Sachi has a reverse Firebird. What is with these college student with the EXPENSIVE guitars (and basses) ?
You never know. It could be an Epiphone Thunderbird IV which retails for, like, $300 . . . oh who am I kidding? It's the K-On! universe. Nobody ever plays anything but top-line instruments. These kids have expensive tastes, but then again, a college kid's first car can cost as much as a genuine Gibson . . . but this is Japan we're talking about, a college kid isn't likely to get a car; owing to all the public transportation. And their parents did have the money to blow on sending their children to a private women-only university.

On the other hand, a Gibson Thunderbird IV goes for $1600 - $2400 brand new (and possibly a fair bit less used,) which actually makes it rather cheaper than Yui's Les Paul Standard. So, maybe there is a little plausibility here.
Old 2012-05-13, 13:35   Link #1954
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Somehow this doesn't feel like an ending arc. Just a story arc with the Festival.

Could it be the two manga combining? The end of a chapter (and a new one to come later), or a serious renaming of the product? (So to not have two K-On manga anymore).
Old 2012-05-13, 16:21   Link #1955
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Could it be the two manga combining? The end of a chapter (and a new one to come later), or a serious renaming of the product? (So to not have two K-On manga anymore).
This is pretty much what I'm expecting (read: hope). It just seems too odd to leave it at both school festivals and stop the series there. We have only one chapter left for the Uni festival, and two for the high school one. There has to be more after that.
Old 2012-05-13, 16:45   Link #1956
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
That would make sense if we were close to Azusa's graduation, but that's not really the case. I'm having a hard time understanding the logic behind ending any part of the manga at this point.
Old 2012-05-13, 17:25   Link #1957
Procrastinator_CA
Laborus Tardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
On the other hand, a Gibson Thunderbird IV goes for $1600 - $2400 brand new (and possibly a fair bit less used,) which actually makes it rather cheaper than Yui's Les Paul Standard. So, maybe there is a little plausibility here.
But Yui got a deep discount on her guitar, which was already marked down significantly in a sale.

Well, it would be sad to see them go, but hey, life goes on.
Procrastinator_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 11:56   Link #1958
teja208
Critical fanboy

You know, at the end of this chapter, there is an author comment about next uni chapter being finale, so I suppose we are going to find out at the end of next HS chapter whether or not HS manga will end as well. Better prepare ourselves people.
Old 2012-05-14, 12:02   Link #1959
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
You know, at the end of this chapter, there is an author comment about next uni chapter being finale, so I suppose we are going to find out at the end of next HS chapter whether or not HS manga will end as well. Better prepare ourselves people.
Well... it had better be a whopper of a good revelation because otherwise he's likely to need personal security from crazy mad fans. Personally, I thought the uni setting was going well and was a relatively bold. It just seems like a natural to chronicle the rise to fame of a music group and not to do that would be a missed opportunity.
Old 2012-05-15, 10:16   Link #1960
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-9513.html

*coughs*

Well, we're getting our third season apparently. Yay?
No, the article is saying that Pony Canyon's music earnings dropped during the last fiscal year and inferred it was due to a lack of K-On! related CDs. With that article, someone on 2ch said "With this, they might not have a choice but to go with a season 3."

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life