AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-12-19, 01:14   Link #1
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)

A growing nation of genetically evolved apes led by Caesar is threatened by a band of human survivors of the devastating virus unleashed a decade earlier. They reach a fragile peace, but it proves short-lived, as both sides are brought to the brink of a war that will determine who will emerge as Earth's dominant species.

I wonder if it's going to be both sides. I recall some information stating that Caesar is threatened by violent factions within his group and the humans as well. Are they actually going to follow through with Planet of the Apes or is this a new take with the prequels? They aren't planning on directly linking with the original Planet of the Apes are they?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 06:47   Link #2
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I guess what made it difficult for me to take the original PotA seriously, is that they never explained how the surviving humans lost all intellect. You can talk about super-intelligent apes, that can be done. But without also explaining how what appeared to be ordinary humans turning into wild apes in behaviour, it is just a bit too much for me.

I mean, the original film even wondered why the degenerated humans would wear clothes. Despite the fact that every human culture world wide figured out the business of clothing very quickly. To see a bunch of naked humans with no insulating fur running around in the cold is assuming the humans were dumber than most animals.
Old 2013-12-19, 07:23   Link #3
Homucifer
Banned

This seems extremely stupid as the last one without even looking at the trailer. I liked the orginal and the 2000 movie but the last one sucked
Homucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 08:01   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

This is surely one of my most anticiapted movies in 2014. Really like the previous Ape movie (Rise otPotA).

Yes, Rise has some plot holes, lapses in logic & science, and convenient coincidences (blame the script for that). With all that said, the direction in Rise is still superb with strong performance from Andy Serkis that made Caesar such a likable character. Those two elements alone are able to make the audiences sold and not being distracted by all the plot holes in it. So, considering how silly the whole premise of the franchise is, I think Rise did a good job (at least with its ape characters). Suspension of disbelief is a prerequisite in enjoying this kinda movie anyway. I mean, look at the most recent Star Trek movies. Yeah.

Anyway, can’t wait to see Caesar again in Dawn. I hope the writing is better in this one though. Make it more logical and don’t just rely on the audience’s emotional investment with the characters like Rise did.
Old 2013-12-19, 09:41   Link #5
Homucifer
Banned

They should have done a continuation of some sort of the 2000 movie him on the ape earth
Old 2013-12-19, 10:06   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homucifer View Post
They should have done a continuation of some sort of the 2000 movie him on the ape earth
Money talks.

If I’m not mistaken, Tim Burton’s Apes bombed at the box office. It’s understandable that the studio decided to not make a sequel of it (hence the reboot with Rise). Maybe I'm in the minority, but I too like Burton's Apes, but I honestly think Rise is the better reboot for the franchise in our time.
Old 2013-12-19, 11:49   Link #7
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Money talks.

If I’m not mistaken, Tim Burton’s Apes bombed at the box office. It’s understandable that the studio decided to not make a sequel of it (hence the reboot with Rise). Maybe I'm in the minority, but I too like Burton's Apes, but I honestly think Rise is the better reboot for the franchise in our time.
That is hard to believe that it failed and the last did so good,bit seemed so stupid to me.

Anyway I will still watch it since I liked the series
Old 2013-12-19, 12:00   Link #8
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I dunno about you, but Burton blew it at the ending. He just couldn't help with putting it one of his Burton-eries in it the movie. The movie was fine until that ending.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 12:12   Link #9
Homucifer
Banned

The ending was hilarious. Him giving the ape the earth stuff and the earth turning into all apes?

He should have been trying to find a way to go back in time or something to fix it etc
Old 2013-12-19, 19:03   Link #10
james0246

The only thing worth mentioning about the Burton remake is the splendor of Tim Roth chewing up every piece of scenery in sight. Otherwise, the film was wholly forgettable save for its drastically silly and amazingly stupid ending.

That being said, good trailer. Solid narration from Gary Oldman setting the scene, leading to a wonderful shot of Caesar that is slowly revealed to be the onslaught of an invasion (presumably). This is one of the big tentpole features for next summer, and right now everything is looking good for 20th Century fox.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 23:30   Link #11
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I guess what made it difficult for me to take the original PotA seriously, is that they never explained how the surviving humans lost all intellect. You can talk about super-intelligent apes, that can be done. But without also explaining how what appeared to be ordinary humans turning into wild apes in behaviour, it is just a bit too much for me.

I mean, the original film even wondered why the degenerated humans would wear clothes. Despite the fact that every human culture world wide figured out the business of clothing very quickly. To see a bunch of naked humans with no insulating fur running around in the cold is assuming the humans were dumber than most animals.
Meh it's a movie what'd you expect?

In any case I suppose it's the idea that because civilization collapses everyone if focusing on just surviving so all of the ideas and theories and such get shoved aside.

Eventually as time passes that information is lost.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 01:27   Link #12
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Meh it's a movie what'd you expect?

In any case I suppose it's the idea that because civilization collapses everyone if focusing on just surviving so all of the ideas and theories and such get shoved aside.

Eventually as time passes that information is lost.
Nothing you say can explain why humans forgot about how to make clothing. There is simply no rational excuse, the original plot swapped humans and monkeys without explaining how it came about.

Now the remakes explain how monkeys became intelligent, but still refuse to explain why humans have become retards. Becoming savages still doesn't stop people from using tools, build shelters and wear fur. Funny enough the original film had the main lead trying to claim humans are not animals, when for all intent and purposes he had nothing in common with the "humans" of the world who clearly don't have any intellect whatsoever.
Old 2013-12-20, 01:43   Link #13
Homucifer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Nothing you say can explain why humans forgot about how to make clothing. There is simply no rational excuse, the original plot swapped humans and monkeys without explaining how it came about.

Now the remakes explain how monkeys became intelligent, but still refuse to explain why humans have become retards. Becoming savages still doesn't stop people from using tools, build shelters and wear fur. Funny enough the original film had the main lead trying to claim humans are not animals, when for all intent and purposes he had nothing in common with the "humans" of the world who clearly don't have any intellect whatsoever.
well in the original I would say they were more retarded because they destroyed the world didn't they? With weopons?