AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-04-13, 17:55   Link #41
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm wondering when someone is considered a mage. I understand the difference between mage and sorcerers, but is Alice considered a mage now that she has a contract with Will O Wisp? As in, you just need to befriend one of the neighbors?

The Rian being rejected because he smelled of rust makes me think he is shady. Rust -> iron -> blood.
Old 2023-04-13, 20:27   Link #42
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm wondering when someone is considered a mage. I understand the difference between mage and sorcerers, but is Alice considered a mage now that she has a contract with Will O Wisp? As in, you just need to befriend one of the neighbors?

The Rian being rejected because he smelled of rust makes me think he is shady. Rust -> iron -> blood.
There's some biological component as well. Most mages we've seen, and I mean actual mages, have lifespans that range hundreds of years, while sorcerers age normally.

In addition, Mages can pull in ambient mana on their own, which is a problem for a Sleigh Beggy like Chise, as she also produces magical energy similar to how a sorcerer does. That puts so much of a strain on her body that the reason Elias first got her the bracelet was to cut that off.

There's also things like needing the Sight to see the neighbors naturally, which Chise has but a lot of other people don't. In the manga the students were surprised there were actually neighbors within the campus when Elias revealed them, indicating that they couldn't see them prior. You need to be able to see them in order to work with them unless they choose to let you see them or you pull a Chise and make some of that eye drop ointment.

In Alice's case, she has an affinity towards Blue Flame in particular. In Episode 23 of the last season, she had a reaction to Blue Flame popping up from her shadow before Renfred did, meaning she had some level of sensitivity to it. And Blue Flame asked for her magic to burn the wraiths away because he liked her scent as well, stating it came from her soul and was so appealing it. Ruth originally in the manga smelled Blue Flame within her shadow when they met in the training hall before popping out, which is when it revealed they entered into a contract after the mess with Joseph.

Now, compare that to Rian, whose rejection came from the scent of rust that she smelled on him.

So its' not just having an affinity for the neighbors, but with them you can get closer to becoming a mage. A knowledgeable sorcerer who has an affinity with a neighbor could become a mage in that aspect and gain access to magic by processing it through them, rather than using their backdoor access they use now. Alice has an affinity towards Blue Flame who is attracted to the scent of flames from her soul, and so in offering a bit of her magic Blue Flame expressed that as a flame on the candle.

Last edited by Twi; 2023-04-13 at 20:44.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-13, 20:53   Link #43
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Chise first day of school and trouble is following her

Well that kid is an idiot insulting that fire lizard like that good thing Ainsworth was there
Old 2023-04-13, 22:19   Link #44
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

The Harry Potter TV series got nothing on this. I missed this show.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-14, 06:36   Link #45
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
There's some biological component as well. Most mages we've seen, and I mean actual mages, have lifespans that range hundreds of years, while sorcerers age normally.

In addition, Mages can pull in ambient mana on their own, which is a problem for a Sleigh Beggy like Chise, as she also produces magical energy similar to how a sorcerer does. That puts so much of a strain on her body that the reason Elias first got her the bracelet was to cut that off.

There's also things like needing the Sight to see the neighbors naturally, which Chise has but a lot of other people don't. In the manga the students were surprised there were actually neighbors within the campus when Elias revealed them, indicating that they couldn't see them prior. You need to be able to see them in order to work with them unless they choose to let you see them or you pull a Chise and make some of that eye drop ointment.

In Alice's case, she has an affinity towards Blue Flame in particular. In Episode 23 of the last season, she had a reaction to Blue Flame popping up from her shadow before Renfred did, meaning she had some level of sensitivity to it. And Blue Flame asked for her magic to burn the wraiths away because he liked her scent as well, stating it came from her soul and was so appealing it. Ruth originally in the manga smelled Blue Flame within her shadow when they met in the training hall before popping out, which is when it revealed they entered into a contract after the mess with Joseph.

Now, compare that to Rian, whose rejection came from the scent of rust that she smelled on him.

So its' not just having an affinity for the neighbors, but with them you can get closer to becoming a mage. A knowledgeable sorcerer who has an affinity with a neighbor could become a mage in that aspect and gain access to magic by processing it through them, rather than using their backdoor access they use now. Alice has an affinity towards Blue Flame who is attracted to the scent of flames from her soul, and so in offering a bit of her magic Blue Flame expressed that as a flame on the candle.
That makes things a lot clearer. Thanks.

Mages having extremely long lifespan had slipped my mind. Wish they had kept the students expressing surprise there were neighbours on campus because the anime made it seem like they all had the sight. I kind of surmised there were ways for them to see them by channeling their magic or something.
Old 2023-04-14, 15:20   Link #46
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I rewatched that entire sequence carefully yesterday, including freeze frames of Chise's face, and was left confused. At the point where she was wearing the veil her left eye seemed neither its normal color nor his. Rather it seemed a mix of the two. (I have some mild red/green colorblindness so I may not see details that others do.)

So what was the point of showing Ruth ripping out Chise's eye and throwing it on the floor? I thought that implied it was available for some sort of surgical reinsertion after the battle.

Maybe manga readers got a more detailed explanation of events. There seem to be a few continuity details missing in the anime adaptation. Even just a minute's worth of explanation in the final episode of season one would have helped a lot.
Spoiler for Comparison to manga:
Old 2023-04-14, 16:55   Link #47
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Spoiler for Comparison to manga:
Spoiler:
Old 2023-04-15, 07:34   Link #48
ryllharu

I really like the sense of unease and dread the series is already building around the college. Between the occasionally sinister character actions and expressions, and the brilliant OST, you can already tell that there is something going on in the college and it is deeply wrong. We just get no idea of what it might be yet.

Comparing countryside scenes in the first season or even Chise and Alice's demonstrations, the music starkly contrasts and sort of shows off what is "natural" and the overall tone of the college doesn't match it.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-20, 10:33   Link #49
Frontier

Just in case you forgot Katsuyuki Konishi was in another magic academy show this season, here he is as Tory! Seems like he and Rian have a close relationship too as student/mentee, and they look out for each other, which is pretty sweet .

Sorry Rian, looks like no Neighbor will want anything to do with you because you smell like rust! You can't be these lucky ladies .

Why am I not surprised Alice has already beaten someone up at the college? Or that she won said fight .

"He's....my teacher. And my child. And my husband. It really just depends on the moment." .

Ah...just look at the way Alice glows up when she sees Renfred again! Or when Chise comforts Elias after he'd been scolded! So sweet !

The way Gregory was asking about Narcisse and checking on if she'd be a danger makes me wonder how much of a powder keg this college might be .

That cafeteria buffet looks pretty solid, minus the computer-generated classmates who stand out so much .

Well, Elias has his first student crushing on him! And Chise has immediately found her table full of quirky and cute kids! I love how they were all so interested in Elias' head and how that happened .

Is Philomela okay? She seems incredibly unhappy and looks like she barely sleeps. I feel like she's got something serious going on with her while she follows Veronica around like a lackey. Also Zoe seems nice enough but something seems up with his eye, and like he was triggered by the unnatural nature of Elias and Chise .

I guess I'm not surprised Lucy sits by herself and doesn't see the point of friends, though assuming they'll all become enemies is a bit of a hardcore jump. I guess she might be talking from experience or just how the culture of sorcerers is .

Unbuttoned shirt Lindel fanservice! I'm kind of curious what Adolf will do learning how...savage, Elias used to be .

Drowsy Chise is cute. Also is it just me or is her hair longer than it used to be? Though it might be that we so rarely see her hair down .

Chise giving Elias a lap pillow...lucky guy! Though the whole family sitting around and relaxing was a very nice sight to see .

Elias in overalls is such a surreal visual that I love it !

Halloween backstory! A time once known for honoring the spirits before they faded into obscurity and it became the commercialized and trendy holiday it is known for today, though it looks like Chise and Elias plan to go for something traditional together .

Chise is still adjusting to her dragon arm and Joseph's memories, and Joseph is as surly as ever, but at least he's just sleeping all day rather than ruining peoples' lives .

Elias looked very annoyed when Stella showed up, but it says a lot that he let her and Chise spend time with each other. And Stella is as cute as ever, even if it seems like she and Chise are incapable of spending time with each other without something supernatural hijacking it. Looks like Chise and Ruth got transported to where Elias and Lindel's master is? And will get to meet her? I mean, more Kotono Mitsuishi is never a bad thing !
Old 2023-04-20, 18:01   Link #50
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought the twins were both girls especially after they gave their names but the one with the long hair is a boy. Green haired boy apparently has mystic eyes that can see the true nature of people, I can't blame for freaking out looking at Chise and Elias. But hey, don't judge them by their appearance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Drowsy Chise is cute. Also is it just me or is her hair longer than it used to be? Though it might be that we so rarely see her hair down .
Same as the end of S1, I think. I remember thinking her hair had grown quite a bit since the beginning.
Old 2023-04-20, 20:48   Link #51
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well finely getting everyone names but it seems that Chise having trouble with that new dragon arm with washing those vegetables
Old 2023-04-21, 11:09   Link #52
Twi

Blog review is done.

Changes to the content in spoilers.

Spoiler:

Their shifting the chapters around has caused a bit of information to be bent out of place. They’ve done a good job of trying to recontextualize it, but some things still get lost. I’ll cover them as I can.
Old 2023-04-21, 18:48   Link #53
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for doing this. Did the first season remove that much stuff too? None of it seems important, but having all the details is nice.
Old 2023-04-21, 20:26   Link #54
Twi

Quote:
Thanks for doing this. Did the first season remove that much stuff too? None of it seems important, but having all the details is nice.
Um, in some of the episodes they trimmed some thing. I'd have to go back to the Season 1 Thread to check the full details. I think its because they have so little time to work with. The Hogwarts Arc runs for 40-50 chapters and they've only got 12 episodes.
Old 2023-04-22, 06:40   Link #55
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Um, in some of the episodes they trimmed some thing. I'd have to go back to the Season 1 Thread to check the full details. I think its because they have so little time to work with. The Hogwarts Arc runs for 40-50 chapters and they've only got 12 episodes.
The manga is monthly, right? Cramming this many chapters in only 12 episodes seems like a tall ordeal.
Old 2023-04-22, 08:34   Link #56
Twi

Quote:
The manga is monthly, right? Cramming this many chapters in only 12 episodes seems like a tall ordeal.
Right now it's on hiatus because they finished this part, but yeah. I don't think they'll cover the entire thing but instead might stop at the midpoint, otherwise, they're going to have to speed blitz as much content as the first season in half the time.
Old 2023-04-23, 13:19   Link #57
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I guess I'm not surprised Lucy sits by herself and doesn't see the point of friends, though assuming they'll all become enemies is a bit of a hardcore jump. I guess she might be talking from experience or just how the culture of sorcerers is
I don't see why any of the sorcerer candidates would consider themselves in competition with Chise, already a known mage. I think Lucy's issues lie elsewhere and come from her past. Chise might pick up a few tricks from the classes and other students along the way, but she is just at such a different level. I bet none of the other students ever communed with an aged dragon or transformed themselves into a phoenix. Wonder when awe turns into jealousy?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-04-23, 13:41   Link #58
Frontier

Quote:
I don't see why any of the sorcerer candidates would consider themselves in competition with Chise, already a known mage. I think Lucy's issues lie elsewhere and come from her past. Chise might pick up a few tricks from the classes and other students along the way, but she is just at such a different level. I bet none of the other students ever communed with an aged dragon or transformed themselves into a phoenix. Wonder when awe turns into jealousy?
I'm just waiting for her first animal transformation of the season .
Old 2023-04-23, 14:22   Link #59
Twi

Quote:
I don't see why any of the sorcerer candidates would consider themselves in competition with Chise, already a known mage.
It's not Chise she's referring to. It's in general making friends with other sorcerers/wizards. She doesn't see the merit in friendship in a society where in this same episode we were told that Chise can tip a balance of power and in the episode before it was said the College wasn't a monolith. Chise was warned not to let her guard down by the old lady president for a reason and we already know people have been spying on her from her visit to the nurse.
Old 2023-04-27, 10:31   Link #60
Frontier

Well, as far as Chise getting suddenly whisked to another place go, meeting up with Sailor Moon...I mean, Rahab, who is basically like a mother/grandmother figure to Elias and Chise, is probably one of the better times this has happened to her .

Rahab is an old soul, wistful, wise, and also caring in her own way. She helped teach Elias about humans and how to fit in with them, and he ended up basing some of his "persona" on her and how she acts, though she couldn't quite teach him 100% about the intricacies of human emotions and relationships (which I guess checks out) .

Angelica! It's always nice to see her, and she can't help but check up on how Elias and Chise's relationship is coming along. Trading neckties is romantic enough as is, but especially on Elias' part because he got it from Rahab so it has a lot of sentimental value, and giving it to Chise shows how much he values her and wants her to value and protect herself rather than recklessly throw her life away for others with no regard for her own safety as she's often wont to do. And Angelica seems to get the picture of how meaningful (and sweet) it all is .

Well, I guess from a certain point of view Elias understood what being a "bride" is...maybe not in the traditional sense, but Chise's never been a typical bride to Elias and that's not how their relationship really works. But she is his partner, more or less, and she makes him happy and she can genuinely read that he's happy, so in that respect I think she's the ideal bride for Elias and it seems Rahab sees that for herself .

So I guess Rahab's message to Chise was basically "you'll probably deal with a lot of complicated/confusing stuff, but just do what your body tells you" which is basically how Chise operates in general .

Looks like Philomela is trying to...make something? Not sure what though. And why does she keep trying to spy on the nurse's office ?

Having a shortcut from home to the college courtesy of Hazel sounds fun...up until you realize said shortcut is guarded by feral and slobbery "hound dogs" that look like if a dog and a lizard had an unholy union. They make an agreement to give them passage, but these things seem unpredictable and dangerous (beyond being pacificed by their craving for meat) that you probably should be wary of how often you use their path .

Tags
drama, fantasy