AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 37 36.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 37.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 16.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.94%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-19, 19:19   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! - , Episode 8.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2012-11-19, 19:28   Link #2
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Episode 8: The Two's....Exile (kanji can mean escape or elopement)
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Previews:
Site:
In the past, Rikka refused to accept certain events had happened. Even now she continues to refuse their occurrence. Because she refused to accept what happened, Touka worries and forces Rikka to face reality. Rikka escapes from Touka and deserts the members of the Oriental Magic Napping Society of Summer at her grandparents' house as she returns to her apartment. Yuuta chases after her. The two spend a long night waiting there.

Television stations/Newtype:
Unsuccessful in her battle against Touka, Rikka runs away from the battlefield in sorrow. Concerned over Rikka, Yuuta chases after her. As a black veil covers the sky, the two's long night begins.
Script: Hanada, Direction/Storyboards: Rika Ota, Animation D: Chise Kamoi

Production sketches:
Rikka's room at her grandparents' house:

Rikka has not lived many years in her room at her grandparents' house.

Transceiver:

Rikka has also mastered using the transceiver.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-11-21 at 10:55.
Old 2012-11-21, 01:15   Link #3
The Green One

Probably going to be a bit of a sad episode, but the comforting that will undoubtedly commence will spark the true start of the romantic subplot of the story.

One has to wonder is it truly right to try to force Rikka to "face reality" or let her continue to immerse herself in the only comfort she feels she has. It remains to be seen if Yuuta will prove to be a third option or merely an agent of the first choice or the second.

Seems the fanservice is still incoming...
Old 2012-11-21, 04:59   Link #4
SweetHoney
~Nanchatte Renai
*Scanlator

Looks like it'llbe a good episode, and in the preview Rikka's "Don't go.." was too moe <3 But also sad ;~;
Old 2012-11-21, 05:17   Link #5
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
So the picture frame is labelled as picture frame?
Old 2012-11-21, 12:01   Link #6
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
The insert song Beginning Seed (rough translation of "Hajimari no Tane") was sung by ZAQ. It is not listed on any CD at the moment, but is confirmed not to be included on the mini-vocal album.

As for the episode, I greatly liked the Yuuta/Rikka portions. This is definitely what I was looking for in this adaptation.

Old 2012-11-21, 12:12   Link #7
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The insert song Beginning Seed (rough translation of "Hajimari no Tane") was sung by ZAQ. It is not listed on any CD at the moment, but is confirmed not to be included on the mini-vocal album.

As for the episode, I greatly liked the Yuuta/Rikka portions. This is definitely what I was looking for in this adaptation.
That song was pretty nice. I hope they give another one near the end.

Spoiler for Episode 8:
Old 2012-11-21, 12:30   Link #8
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I don't think it is a budget constraint, especially considering how detailed the first part was, but rather how they tried a different approach to portray Rikka's state of mind, which had interesting symbol.
Likewise, we finally get a very extensive scene with Touka and how obviously it pains her a damn lot to play along Rikka's chuuni moments.

I was satisfied how they didn't try to push any angst or melodrama in the pack, past the first few minutes: they did a very good job for Rikka and Yuuta's interactions, and it felt quite naturally to boot. Meanwhile, Whether or not Makoto can get Kumin's attention looks like quite compromised as of now

I'm unsure why they had to bring some "fated childhood friend" factor in there, hopefully not going to be a major point of development later on, or it would be a tad too convenient, which the series really doesn't need to rely on such device.
Old 2012-11-21, 12:53   Link #9
rulfo

It's an interesting depiction no doubt about that. The director did well with the storyboard and you can see the idea very clearly.

However I felt that the Key Animation wasn't particularly on par with the past delusion fights. The scene felt inconsistent. At times it was good and certain parts it felt flat.
Old 2012-11-21, 13:10   Link #10
Warm Mist

Well, besides the fact that it IS an ultra generic plot development, the childhood friend thing seems more justified in this case. I mean, her sister lived just above him, it's not so far fetched that she would have met him sooner or later, even more if it's just that scene they showed and nothing more.

Whatever, the episode was pretty good and heartwarming as a whole. The fight was okay, not as good as ep2's fight but hey, what can I expect? Toning down the drama was a great decision, especially if it's in favour of MCs relationship. I have a little concern about how they will handle Yuuta's development. Rikka's was mostly covered already, especially after this ep, but for now they are falling for the common pitfall of making the guy fall for the girl without any apparent reason besides pity/lazy writing. I hope Yuuta and his feelings get more focus later on. Also, the side characters are getting too side-tracked for my taste, that's another issue.

As for the visuals, it was standard Kyoani fare, which in my case is a bit of a let down considering the promising sakkan. Feels like she corrected too few drawings, or that she toned down her style a bit. Not sure if I dig that, there's already too much uniformity in Kyoani. Maybe they had some schedule problems, I don't know. The animation was maybe just a bit scarcer than normal (besides the fight), but not really noticeable.
The direction was not astounding, but I liked it very much. The episode felt very coherent and progressed really naturally, unlike the last one where the constant mood shifts were a bit jarring. Again, I liked the handling of the music and the portrayal of Rikka's thoughts. Rika Ota is shaping to be a solid mid-high tier Kyoani director if she keeps this pace.

Also...
Images
Major Haruhi vibes.
Old 2012-11-21, 13:19   Link #11
rulfo

I do think it's not a scheduling problem. But more on the lines of shifting focus to much more important scenes.

IIRC it was during the mid to late october that Kigami posted on the blog about finishing the important parts for the climax of the show.

Anyway IIRC ultimatemegax posted a few days shy of a week after Kigami's post.

Images
Key Animation ep 8
Old 2012-11-21, 13:34   Link #12
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
I do think it's not a scheduling problem. But more on the lines of shifting focus to much more important scenes.

IIRC it was during the mid to late october that Kigami posted on the blog about finishing the important parts for the climax of the show.

Anyway IIRC ultimatemegax posted a few days shy of a week after Kigami's post.

Images
Key Animation ep 8
This was posted on October 27th as "chu" was being told what to look for when checking the key frames. In that post, "chu" mentions that they were checking the final cut, but as seen in this episode, that frame was not it. I highly doubt "chu" is Kigami though. He had (at least) two episodes to direct. It's probably one of the web site staffers.

Old 2012-11-21, 13:38   Link #13
rulfo

Ahh I thought it was Kigami who posted that. Well in any case it just goes to show they are way ahead of any deadlines.

Regarding the ultra convenient development, people have been pointing out the Mabinogion book which Dekomori compiled. In ep 3 it seemed as if it were just a pointless babble made by Dekomori. Now it does make sense why Dark Flame Master will be mentioned there.

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-11-21 at 13:48.
Old 2012-11-21, 14:10   Link #14
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

I guess i am a lil bit late on the thread, tho i have already watching the show for the past 2-3 weeks.

Spoiler for Episode 10 of Chuu2byou:
Old 2012-11-21, 14:20   Link #15
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
...for now they are falling for the common pitfall of making the guy fall for the girl without any apparent reason besides pity/lazy writing....
There are many reasons for him to fall for her: constant physical presence of cute girl, girl admires him, girl's fantasy life is like his was, she is therefore somewhat similar to him, girl likes him, girl needs help, he grows by helping her. I think they are portraying this quite well.

What I find frustrating is the opposite: that he is taking so long to really fall. I do recognize that what frustrates me here is actually a strength: not rushing the development but letting it happen as the characters naturally make it happen.

As for "childhood friend" or "fated encounter," I don't think either of those is exactly involved here. To me, that one image just indicated that she remembered the first time she happened to see the DFM, on the balcony above when she was visiting her sister.

Good episode, except for the fact that I am impatient for fuller romantic development. I mean apart from the development between Nibutani and Dekomori, which was great. Try as she will, Nibutani just can't help unconsciously being attracted to the girl who worships her former self. And Dekomori is so smart that she may semi-consciously know that this is the real Mori Summer.

I loved the part of margafred's post that talked about sharing. So true.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-11-21 at 16:37.
Old 2012-11-21, 17:13   Link #16
liemtodaisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
Well, besides the fact that it IS an ultra generic plot development, the childhood friend thing seems more justified in this case. I mean, her sister lived just above him, it's not so far fetched that she would have met him sooner or later, even more if it's just that scene they showed and nothing more.

Whatever, the episode was pretty good and heartwarming as a whole. The fight was okay, not as good as ep2's fight but hey, what can I expect? Toning down the drama was a great decision, especially if it's in favour of MCs relationship. I have a little concern about how they will handle Yuuta's development. Rikka's was mostly covered already, especially after this ep, but for now they are falling for the common pitfall of making the guy fall for the girl without any apparent reason besides pity/lazy writing. I hope Yuuta and his feelings get more focus later on. Also, the side characters are getting too side-tracked for my taste, that's another issue.

As for the visuals, it was standard Kyoani fare, which in my case is a bit of a let down considering the promising sakkan. Feels like she corrected too few drawings, or that she toned down her style a bit. Not sure if I dig that, there's already too much uniformity in Kyoani. Maybe they had some schedule problems, I don't know. The animation was maybe just a bit scarcer than normal (besides the fight), but not really noticeable.
The direction was not astounding, but I liked it very much. The episode felt very coherent and progressed really naturally, unlike the last one where the constant mood shifts were a bit jarring. Again, I liked the handling of the music and the portrayal of Rikka's thoughts. Rika Ota is shaping to be a solid mid-high tier Kyoani director if she keeps this pace.

Also...
Images
Major Haruhi vibes.
Do people even need reasons to fall in love in the first place? That's a pretty shallow way of thinking about love. If you lost all the reasons you're gonna fall out of love? That would be very pathetic and coward.
Old 2012-11-21, 17:29   Link #17
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by liemtodaisu View Post
Do people even need reasons to fall in love in the first place?
In fiction? When you've already expressed attraction to another character beforehand? Yup.
Old 2012-11-21, 17:44   Link #18
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
In fiction? When you've already expressed attraction to another character beforehand? Yup.
Attraction hardly equals to love, especially he was just fancying Shinka without knowing her that much. And it goes down to how much he interacted with Rikka, in comparison with Shinka, who became quite a land mine after he witness her other aspect of her personality.
Old 2012-11-21, 18:39   Link #19
Goggen

Spoiler for Episode 8:
Old 2012-11-21, 18:56   Link #20
Snuffle
likes cute things

21:15 "Uguu"
Rikka and Yuuta really looked like a couple this episode. Plus I only now noticed how pretty that silhouette dress Rikka is wearing, she looks really good in it.
Tsuyuri leaving Isshiki was so mean... I bet if it was the other way around, the one left behind would be super pissed (generally speaking, I doubt Tsuyuri would get angry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
There are many reasons for him to fall for her: constant physical presence of cute girl, girl admires him, girl's fantasy life is like his was, she is therefore somewhat similar to him, girl likes him, girl needs help, he grows by helping her. I think they are portraying this quite well.

What I find frustrating is the opposite: that he is taking so long to really fall. I do recognize that what frustrates me here is actually a strength: not rushing the development but letting it happen as the characters naturally make it happen.
The way I see it is Yuuta is so focused on getting Rikka to stop or at least calm down on her chuuni actics that he really doesn't get the chance to think about the other things about her. And Rikka seems like she doesn't even know she's falling in love, but I'm pretty sure she at least knows that Yuuta is important to her.
Closed Thread