AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 52 27.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 24.87%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 27 14.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 24 12.70%
6 out of 10 : Average 16 8.47%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 3.70%
4 out of 10 : Poor 8 4.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 1.06%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.17%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-03-25, 02:22   Link #61
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

...Not really.

There is the filming part where they're more of a team, but yeah.
Old 2010-03-25, 04:39   Link #62
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
It got the same mark I gave the first series. A 6.
I was never taken by any of the Haruhi fanboyism and never saw anything masterful in the series. Plus, cute girls in lead roles doing silly stuff is not my cup of tea. As for the story... Hello, SE Lain?
Old 2010-03-26, 04:37   Link #63
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post

Yeah the characters weren't that great. Haruhi was unbearable. Koizumi was Blandy McBland the Blandest man in Blandland. Nagato was okay. In fact I actually kind of liked her. Mikuru, not so much. Yeah I can understand why she was so weak, but eh...So to be honest, the only character I actually liked was Kyon. But the group had none of the cohesiveness of an actual gang of friends like in Toradora! for example. Koizumi for example, barely interacted with Haruhi at all.
Yea, I would say Mikuru and Itsuki aren't particularly interesting. They seem to be there to cater to the fetishes lol. The same thing could be said about Yuki, but at least she does stuff. Though Kyon is a good character because he acts and behaves like an actual person amidst a bunch of stereotypes which I think was intentional. Haruhi is supposed to be unbearable too-- you aren't supposed to like what she does. This actually does build up to something.

I think the main draw to the series is Kyon. He is a mostly sensible person trapped in what seems to be a bad fanfiction created by a psychotic possibly omnipotent being.

When it comes to the series as a whole I don't find it extremely deep but it is clever in some places and the episodes in the 2006 and 2009 airings do interconnect together pretty well. As a whole the series I think shines, but if I were to name specific moments it'd be the last few episodes of season 1.

Mostly I enjoy how it's a work of fiction making fun of itself really. It plays around a lot, but ultimately there's just so much you can play with and when it comes down to the actual plot, the impact is just not as strong . Ultimately, I think I just couldn't get emotionally attached to the series or the characters and that stops it just short of reaching my favorites list (like that really matters )

Quote:
No, I haven't watched season 2 yet. Is it actually any better?
In my strong opinion, season 2 is inferior to season 1 by a large margin. It doesn't mean it's bad but if you didn't like the first season, I cannot recommend it to you. A big part of season 2 requires you to have a large amount of emotional attachment to one of the characters to properly enjoy it, but as I've said above, the show just didn't get enough for me to do that. If you don't love them, you will quickly get bored. It's still funny though.

The only thing good I can really say about 2009 Haruhi is that there is some actual character development at the end, and in a way that one part is superior to the 2006 airing. I actually gave a damn for a little bit.

You may want to gloss over it to get some context for the movie. Honestly, the 2009 airing is one big commercial for the movie.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-03-26 at 04:50.
Old 2010-04-08, 19:23   Link #64
Electric Moon
Zapped by Magic Moonlight

Location: I'M NOT GONNA TELL YOU WHERE I LIVE, YOU STALKER!! X3
This anime was built on filler, there was no real problem/dilemma to be solved in it, the characters were pretty much 2D and weren't very believable, especially Mikuru (yes, Yuki is bland as well). Haruhi is incredibly bossy, vein and selfish, and I'm sick of hearing crazed fanboys ramble on and on about her. The first six episodes chronologically were the only time in which something actually happened, and the reason why the episode order was scrambled was to cover up the surprisingly weak plot. The novels were a bit better, though.
Old 2010-04-12, 13:45   Link #65
Bangirasu

I thing very strongly the next season of Haruhi will come in Winter. reasons in spoilers.
Spoiler:
Old 2010-05-16, 12:57   Link #66
Strife212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Moon View Post
The first six episodes chronologically were the only time in which something actually happened.
Those six episodes are the first novel if you notice.
Old 2010-06-01, 22:50   Link #67
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Well, I finally managed to marathon the series a while back (so late ).
What I can say is that it was a good series. Animation was quality, the plot wasn't really awesome-crazy but hey--! It had a decent-to-good plot, and that's not something I can say with most series. I gave this series 7/10. It could have been higher had it not been for the titular character who really really got on my nerves.
The other characters made the show for me, especially Kyon and Mikuru--it saddens me that Kyon and Mikuru are forced NOT to be together for the sake of the selfish god. >__>
Old 2010-06-04, 02:54   Link #68
baltakatei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife212 View Post
Those six episodes are the first novel if you notice.
The only novel the author actually planned on writing to boot.
Old 2010-06-26, 02:44   Link #69
animAe

I LOVE this series! It's soo confusing and switches back and forth through time to give a complex feel of it! The VA's are great except the english VA of Haruhi sounds kind of weird to me but she's still good!

But what really killed me (and probably everyone else) was the Endless 8 x_x I sat through all of them! I don't know why, but even though I knew that the endless 8 was going to repeat itself over and over again, I was still hoping for some kind of change xD The only change I got was different camera angles!

Hope season 3 comes out soon!
Old 2010-07-04, 18:10   Link #70
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by animAe View Post
I LOVE this series! It's soo confusing and switches back and forth through time to give a complex feel of it! The VA's are great except the english VA of Haruhi sounds kind of weird to me but she's still good!

But what really killed me (and probably everyone else) was the Endless 8 x_x I sat through all of them! I don't know why, but even though I knew that the endless 8 was going to repeat itself over and over again, I was still hoping for some kind of change xD The only change I got was different camera angles!

Hope season 3 comes out soon!
Well, at least you survived. They should really have a "I watched all of Endless Eight, and all I got was this" t-shirts.

Oh yea, don't forget the movie!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-07-10, 12:09   Link #71
ashez2ashes

Send a message via AIM to ashez2ashes
Haruhi Podcast Episode

Hey, recently my podcast, The Power of Friendship Podcast, had an entire hour long episode dedicated to Haruhi Suzumiya (season one and two). We discuss and analyze both seasons, the characters, theories, etc. I thought maybe people here would get a kick out of it. There isn't any spoilers for the novels if you haven't read them yet.

http://thepoweroffriendship.libsyn.c...aruhi_suzumiya
Old 2010-07-17, 15:32   Link #72
velderia
Former NEET.

7/10. It would of been higher if it weren't for the endless eight and not so brilliant moments after that.
Old 2010-07-23, 23:59   Link #73
realvoix

8/10. It's a very good anime. I consider it one of my favorites and even after years of not watching/talking about it I find myself rewatching and getting back into the series when I recall the series. When I heard Season 2 was coming, I knew it would be pretty good. It could be a 9/10 though if it weren't for Endless Eight. It was interesting but it got tedious, I got through them though and I was proud haha.

All in all though, I think the series is enjoyable. A lot of my friends complain that it's confusing as heck but I think that's what's so charming about it. It's ridiculous and gives you a headache but analyzing and trying to think through it is what makes it The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I like the characters, they are charming in their own ways and no, I'm not talking about the ecchi feel that this series gives, it's more of their development (especially Kyon and Haruhi) that intrigues me.

Because I have you, because I have tomorrow, because I can't live on all alone.
Old 2010-08-17, 06:59   Link #74
taco

I'd rate it 8/10. There really wasn't a big story to carry on. Some of the episodes were very enjoyable, while some weren't. I think the series was very straightforward and I liked that. I wish there was more of a central plot as there wasn't really much to expect towards the end except for character development. My favorite episodes had to be the Remote Island Syndrome, it really gave me a "Wow, this seems really exciting." feel which I don't really get from anime like these. Had it not been for the confusing episode listing and the unsure plot, this would've got the 10/10.

This show has some very serious potential and I really want to see another season.
Old 2010-08-18, 05:12   Link #75
Heiwatsuki

umm im confused, for the season 2 of the 2006 series, did it have to do with the whole 15,000 deja vu thing?, then what is the new rebroadcast about? is it the entire 2006 series in order in terms of timeline?
Old 2010-08-18, 05:34   Link #76
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The 2009 seasons was all the episodes in chronological order. 28 in total.
Old 2010-08-19, 14:36   Link #77
Heiwatsuki

thanks , and i hope the movie comes out on dvd soon XD
Old 2010-08-23, 01:05   Link #78
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

A simple 10/10.
I dont think it deserves anything but that, the story and animation are great and the voice acting is nothing short of godly. By far its the best Anime series I have ever seen and I hope that they will make a 3rd season. That Movie as well was amazing and the Mangas and Light Novels are also very good. I dont think there is anything that is bad about this show.
Old 2010-08-23, 15:31   Link #79
Othello~
*Author

10 out of 10
Although a lot of the characters are clitches (moe Mikuru as an example) that's the thing I like about the show. Like Itsuki, he smiles all the time but in reality, he isn't like that. And Yuki, she was basically forced into the clitched bookworm. Mikuru . . . she probably really is that way -.-;

I guess I just like the feel of the show and the funny whimsical stuff and then the depressing stuff.

I will now go back into hiding
Old 2010-08-23, 16:21   Link #80
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

9/10 for the first season, was good overall, but I dint like the character "Mikuru Asahina" not one bit... Completely just useless in the majority of situations and leaves Itsuki, Nagato, and somehow Kyon to deal with these situations created by Haruhi.. Although her future self gets more respect though, does seem 10x better then her present self.

6/10 for second season... Reason, well here it is... ENDLESS EIGHT ACTUALLY BEING 8 EPISODES! (ok my rage is over )
Closed Thread