AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2012-11-28, 13:19   Link #1
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

There ought to be a message about how rude it is to ignore suggestions in...

...the Suggestions forum. Nothing is more frustrating than typing out a thoughtful list of suggestions only to have them brushed off with a brusque comment or outright ignored. This really destroys any motivation I have to actually take my time and post detailed responses when I see a Suggestions request that I feel I can answer well.

Given how orderly and rules-oriented Animesuki Forums are, compared to most forums on the internet, and given how popular the Suggestions forum is, I think this type of disclaimer could really work well here.

It would help reduce the amount of short junk posts in that forum and increase the amount of long thoughtful responses.
Old 2012-11-28, 13:33   Link #2
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I don't recall suggestions being the same as demands. The subforum is still called "suggestions"
Quote:
sug·gest (sg-jst, s-jst)
tr.v. sug·gest·ed, sug·gest·ing, sug·gests
1. To offer for consideration or action; propose: suggest things for children to do; suggested that we take a walk.
2. To bring or call to mind by logic or association; evoke: a cloud that suggests a mushroom; a ringlike symbol suggesting unity.
3. To make evident indirectly; intimate or imply: a silence that suggested disapproval.
4. To serve as or provide a motive for; prompt or demand: Such a crime suggests apt punishment.
In my opinion a suggestion serves the same purpose as an advice.
Which means that they are not obligated to follow it, like for example if they think that your suggestion is not what they originally had in mind or if it is not interesting enough for them.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 13:42   Link #3
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I don't recall suggestions being the same as demands. The subforum is still called "suggestions"

In my opinion a suggestion serves the same purpose as an advice.
Which means that they are not obligated to follow it, like for example if they think that your suggestion is not what they originally had in mind or if it is not interesting enough for them.
I'm not saying that they have to watch to the show, just if I type out a long list of shows with detailed synopses and reasons why I think the OP will like them, they should at least respond to my reply.

Otherwise I just become more convinced that the best approach is to dash out a quick list of titles with little in the way of description or explanation.

That kind of posting is not good for the Suggestions forum.
Old 2012-11-28, 13:53   Link #4
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Is there even a reason why you want a reply and better yet, how to enforce such a rule? Seeing that there are people who made a forum account just to ask for identifications (animes/games/mangas etc.) or suggestions.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 14:06   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
I'm not saying that they have to watch to the show, just if I type out a long list of shows with detailed synopses and reasons why I think the OP will like them, they should at least respond to my reply.

Otherwise I just become more convinced that the best approach is to dash out a quick list of titles with little in the way of description or explanation.

That kind of posting is not good for the Suggestions forum.
I think you're taking a bit of a narrow view. Providing those suggestions isn't only useful for the OP, but it can be useful also to any other posters who are looking for similar suggestions and stumble upon your post. So even if the OP seems to ignore your post, that doesn't mean it wasn't appreciated or isn't helpful to them or to others.

I don't think we can regulate that people be courteous. Of course we don't want people to be outright rude, but simply not posting a response to a well-thought-out suggestion is not proof itself that someone's being rude to you (or to you in particular).

One thing I still think I would still like to do (and I think it was discussed before) is to come up with some standardized recommendation threads for common requests so that, if you're going to spend a bunch of time detailing a recommendation, it can go in a common re-used thread rather than a sort of "disposable" individual request thread.

Other than that, if we were to post anything, I guess it'd just be a courtesy reminder like "Please remember that posters are volunteering their time to help you out; please be courteous and respectful". I'm still not sure if we can compel people to reply to posts, even if they are well thought-out (and even our posting that sort of statement would only go so far...).
Old 2012-11-28, 18:30   Link #6
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think you're taking a bit of a narrow view. Providing those suggestions isn't only useful for the OP, but it can be useful also to any other posters who are looking for similar suggestions and stumble upon your post. So even if the OP seems to ignore your post, that doesn't mean it wasn't appreciated or isn't helpful to them or to others.

I don't think we can regulate that people be courteous. Of course we don't want people to be outright rude, but simply not posting a response to a well-thought-out suggestion is not proof itself that someone's being rude to you (or to you in particular).

One thing I still think I would still like to do (and I think it was discussed before) is to come up with some standardized recommendation threads for common requests so that, if you're going to spend a bunch of time detailing a recommendation, it can go in a common re-used thread rather than a sort of "disposable" individual request thread.

Other than that, if we were to post anything, I guess it'd just be a courtesy reminder like "Please remember that posters are volunteering their time to help you out; please be courteous and respectful". I'm still not sure if we can compel people to reply to posts, even if they are well thought-out (and even our posting that sort of statement would only go so far...).
Ahhh, ok. Thanks for stating your position in such a thorough, comprehensive way.

I totally understand how consideration isn't enforceable. It was just an idea that came to me after yet another frustrating experience typing a detailed list of suggestions into a thread on the suggestions forum.

Besides this one quip I like the Suggestions Forum a lot and it's one of the things that really stands out about this forum as compared to most other anime message boards (not that they don't have suggestions forums but that ASuki's is the best by far).
Old 2012-11-28, 21:03   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

As a long-standing denizen of the Suggestions forum, I've thought from time to time about writing "Uncle Seiji's Guide to Suggestions Forum Etiquette" as a possible sticky. Any interest?

While OPs coming and going are annoying, that's small potatoes compared to the fact that no one seems to ever search for anything before posting a request. I'm just amazed that people continue to post queries for romance or romance+action shows when nearly every other thread is about that subject. I never see anyone mentioning tag searches at all, when they are often quite relevant.

This could be handled in part by starting some genre-specific threads like they do at ANN (where generic suggestions requests are banned). While we've talked about this before, it's not that easy to manage. Nor do I think they will be used. I'm betting that even if there were a Romance sticky at the top of the Suggestions forum we'll still see people asking for those shows, though at least it would give us a thread to point to.

So my top-three items would be:

1) Do your homework before making a request.
2) Provide some context and examples of similar shows you like.
3) Monitor your thread, reply to suggestions made, and thank the people who helped you.

Any others?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-28, 21:11   Link #8
Eragon
Still Alive

^ You my vote But anyway, replying to suggestions is basic-common courtesy - especially since you are asking for help. *sigh* If people need to be told even that then.....
Old 2012-11-28, 21:21   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I haunt the Ubuntu Forums and ended up adding a line to my signature encouraging people not to abandon requests for help. There I think people post the same question on multiple Linux help forums, then after getting an answer they abandon all the other requests. That's not as much of a problem here, though the problem of OPs abandoning a request does occur as discussed in this thread.
Old 2012-11-28, 22:35   Link #10
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I don't write out suggestions looking for thanks; if they get around to checking out anything I've mentioned (with or without my knowing), then all the better for them, right?

It's up to you to write out a reasonable suggestion post, and even if it's too long people might be turned away. Since it's your choice to write longer posts, just be aware that overall it's just one suggestion post from one user. There will be plenty more from other people, and yours may be looked at but not just not mentioned.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Put a big ol' smile on your face knowing that if they discovered something they like through you, they'll likely pass it on, even if you don't know it.

By no means am I saying the lack of thanks is the correct method though; if someone takes the time to post appreciation, then everyone's all for the better. However, going into something where you give and share something, it is best to go in with a charitable mind.
Old 2012-11-29, 00:29   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
It's up to you to write out a reasonable suggestion post, and even if it's too long people might be turned away. Since it's your choice to write longer posts, just be aware that overall it's just one suggestion post from one user. There will be plenty more from other people, and yours may be looked at but not just not mentioned.
Who is the "you" you are referring to here? A generic poster on the Suggestions forum? The OP? Or me? You do realize my comments at Ubuntu are only tangentially related to the questions we are talking about here, right?
Old 2012-11-29, 00:33   Link #12
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Who is the "you" you are referring to here? A generic poster on the Suggestions forum? The OP? Or me? You do realize my comments at Ubuntu are only tangentially related to the questions we are talking about here, right?
Just in general, anyone who makes a suggestion post. It's not a staple principle, just a warning that many people look away when there's just walls and walls of text. It's not like we post sample images usually either.

Quote:
3) Monitor your thread, reply to suggestions made, and thank the people who helped you.
I liked this, by the way. Good advice to follow.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-11-29 at 01:22.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-29, 18:49   Link #13
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
As a long-standing denizen of the Suggestions forum, I've thought from time to time about writing "Uncle Seiji's Guide to Suggestions Forum Etiquette" as a possible sticky. Any interest?

While OPs coming and going are annoying, that's small potatoes compared to the fact that no one seems to ever search for anything before posting a request. I'm just amazed that people continue to post queries for romance or romance+action shows when nearly every other thread is about that subject. I never see anyone mentioning tag searches at all, when they are often quite relevant.

This could be handled in part by starting some genre-specific threads like they do at ANN (where generic suggestions requests are banned). While we've talked about this before, it's not that easy to manage. Nor do I think they will be used. I'm betting that even if there were a Romance sticky at the top of the Suggestions forum we'll still see people asking for those shows, though at least it would give us a thread to point to.

So my top-three items would be:

Any others?
I think that this would be a fantastic idea and I think the three mores you mentioned are the one that really matter.

But I also agree that people will probably just ignore it because no one can be bothered to read anymore.
Old 2012-11-29, 18:52   Link #14
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Well, to be real, we are not oblige to suggest unless we really want to... I seldom suggest that's why....

It's disappointing also when they put a list and tells that they've seen what you've just suggested though it didn't appear in their list in the first place!!! hehehe
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-01, 14:20   Link #15
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Sometimes people just don't like your post for whatever reason and don't know of a good way to turn you down, so they just don't post. Also, sometimes it's hard to keep track of multiple replies. But at least other people might be helped.

The other possible reason is that your post just wasn't worth responding to, regardless of what you thought of it. It happens sometimes.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 02:19   Link #16
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

The only issue I have with the suggestions forum is a sticky clearly stating not to just write lists, yet the majority of posts within the forum doing just that.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 03:45   Link #17
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
The only issue I have with the suggestions forum is a sticky clearly stating not to just write lists, yet the majority of posts within the forum doing just that.
I suspect some of this may be borne out of a frustration of having the same or similar things requested too many times over. There are only so many times you can explain why a given show is a good fit for a given category before it just gets to be tedious (and as was already pointed out, sometime that extra effort is not visibly appreciated by the requester). I still wonder if maybe having those stock threads (for the most common requests) would help with this, as the explanations would be required in there.
Old 2012-12-09, 14:58   Link #18
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I suspect some of this may be borne out of a frustration of having the same or similar things requested too many times over. There are only so many times you can explain why a given show is a good fit for a given category before it just gets to be tedious (and as was already pointed out, sometime that extra effort is not visibly appreciated by the requester). I still wonder if maybe having those stock threads (for the most common requests) would help with this, as the explanations would be required in there.
No one is forcing any particular individual to respond to a thread though.

On a totally unrelated note, I do wish search-by default-listed actual posts, rather than threads. With the keyword approach the search algorithm uses, the default action of listing a bunch of threads is often quite useless when searching for something.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 15:33   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
On a totally unrelated note, I do wish search-by default-listed actual posts, rather than threads. With the keyword approach the search algorithm uses, the default action of listing a bunch of threads is often quite useless when searching for something.
You can change your own default by going to Advanced Search, choosing Posts, then using Save Search Preferences.
Old 2012-12-09, 16:00   Link #20
jdennis007

If I may post my opinions on this subject.
I would suggest that you post titles only and possibly a single sentence summary and if people want to know more then they can ask or look it up.
My opinion regarding tags, yeah tags are nice and all but they don't tell you how an anime is only what an anime is, the reason you post requests is because you want people's opinions on what shows are good.
As far as thanking people goes in most of the threads that I have seen people will usually give a generic that you for your suggestions.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote